I m REALLY lookin' forward for the update.

We faced some problems-as we are using the mod with the team in MP environment.

I wish you are well in your health/and the next update to blow us up to the skies :pet13:

:)

This is very exciting to hear about the new MP script that LAxe has for you. Hopefully an update can be released very soon to update from RC5.

That's right, air supply, thermal control, pressurization and avionics cooling are quite Noisy in a cockpit, and agreed, Wind and engine are the major part of the perceived sounds. but i have to agree with Serjames about the sound "scale" compared to speed, for the very reason Gatordev exposes though : after watching the video, the feeling is quite...strange...the acceleration/decceleration effect reminds me a mix of elite dangerous and a race car transmission...i mean, the engine sound seems too prominent compared to the Wind at about 245-270 knots (450-500 km/h), and keeps multiplicating/decreasing with the speed, like in the space "sim", or a race car gearbox.

Even if the thrust range has to be rendered by a sound variation, a turbine at full charge stays at full charge and won't make more noise with the speed, but air friction and stress sounds over the hull will...

yes, youtube crap, just to get the idea...

, or
(starting at 11:00 for a good speed decrease effect)...see how Wind and constraints over the hull exceed the turbine sound at high speed levels, and how the opposite happens at low speed?

Noticed that it is wip, and not so "realistic" by choice (fluid dynamics and air drag may be very hard to simulate in A3 engine), but, what do you think?

the silencer effects on the second video are very interesting...keep up the good work :)

You know I freakin' missed those discussions :)

Yeah you are right. I think I can get a more legit sound with the speed controller. Since as you mentioned or thought already, there is not real velocity controller for jets yet. They implemented that for the helicopters when they added the new flight model. But there was no such update for the jets/planes. Which makes the whole situation a bit more hard to recreate. I would go with something like this maybe:

low speed, turbine sounds, no real wind, slight vibrations, cockpit noises

mid speed, turbine sounds are quieter, a bit more wind but more vibrations and rumble sounds (sound behind nozzle) that is louder I think

high speed, less turbine, way more wind sounds, no vibrations since the sound behind nozzle is moving further away from the plane as we go faster. Thats at least my understanding.

Also there is a difference in RPM for various planes I think:

Engine "pitch" is directly linked to RPM. Real jets may "windmill" when diving that can cause RPM rise, but most jet engines operate at an ideal RPM and should not exceed this to avoid over-stressing, so most commonly you'll never hear or witness an RPM overspeed unless something is really wrong with the engine control system. Engine "blast" (sound behind nozzle) is caused by turbulent high velocity jet blast and is also linked to the RPM and/or Nozzle position depending on engine type. (An A-10 has fixed nozzles so this would only make audible difference by RPM, but an F-16 has variable nozzle which may increase jet velocity without increasing RPM.

I will see what I come up with. Making multiple sounds for different speed areas is not a big deal of work and if its not sounding right its not that big of a problem. We'll see.

Let me know what ever you feel like you need to tell me, its cool having all this knowledge about since I normally never come to witness :)

LJ

I don´t think you should make the turbine sound lower as speed increases, just add the wind and vibration sound on top of it. If you lower the turbine sound it could sound kind of wrong, because why would the Turbine become less loud?...

Because digital audio doesn't work like the physical sound waves you hear in real life. You can't just keep stacking audio samples one on top of the other without clipping/distorting prematurely.

Came up with something like this:

volume = "(1-camPos)*(((((-speed*3.6) max speed*3.6)/ 500) factor[(((-200) max 200)/ 500),(((-250) max 250)/ 500)]) * ((((-speed*3.6) max speed*3.6)/ 500) factor[(((-400) max 400)/ 500),(((-350) max 350)/ 500)]))";

Wasn't that easy first to get it to work but its working great so far. Now trying velocity somehow.

LJ

Because digital audio doesn't work like the physical sound waves you hear in real life. You can't just keep stacking audio samples one on top of the other without clipping/distorting prematurely.

Well you could, if the audio engine would be using 32bit floating point, but that's not the case in arma, heh.

Not sure what happened but ever since the latest ArmA patch i think something might've broke. When you're in a firefight, all you hear are snaps or cracks, you don't hear the gun shots anymore, it's really annoying me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before the patch.. Can you check this out?

Not sure what happened but ever since the latest ArmA patch i think something might've broke. When you're in a firefight, all you hear are snaps or cracks, you don't hear the gun shots anymore, it's really annoying me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before the patch.. Can you check this out?

The old version of DFyre that is available here is not up to date anymore, is stopped working long ago. I know its a wrong section to be in actually as we should move to the discussion thread rather than "complete".

The latest version I have right now is working smooth. Tho not in MP but we'll get there soon enough.

LJ

super excited for the new and improved JSRS. was so sad when you took your hiatus after 1.42. i love the difference environment makes to the weapons sounds in the silencer vid. are you going to be improving enemy weapon sounds as well? they sound like absolute crap vanilla, all sound the same and not real at all lol. the snaps are ok, but dragon fyres were much better before they got broken by bis. really glad you are getting back into it. your work is appreciated by many.

EDIT: just saw the video on the front page. good lord that is going to be pure gold for the ears when its ready.

Edited by Khan_Artist

Not sure if you guys saw this already:

K1yyoK5fuGM

Didn't posted it as the thread was still closed so some might have missed :)

@Kahn:

All weapons are covered. Well, all sounds ingame are... except cut scenes and voices ;)

Thanks,

LJ

Except the jet fly-bys strangely quiet for these air-tearing machines, the whole video is very impressive. can't wait to have this quality stuff installed

Except the jet fly-bys strangely quiet...

Thats what I'm working on right now :P I tried to cut it out of the video as it is really a shitty sounds, to much noise reduction went over it sadly.

LJ

Hey, video sounds great. I was just wondering if there is maybe a tad too much echo while having the source of riflefire or machineguns in close range..like in Min. 5:17 in your vid.

Can you explain brief what the difference is in MP and SP? I always thought the sounds are the same. Or is it the script mainly handling the sounds for the Player?

Exceptional work by the way and I am glad you are back on your feet.

Not sure if you guys saw this already:

K1yyoK5fuGM

Didn't posted it as the thread was still closed so some might have missed :)

@Kahn:

All weapons are covered. Well, all sounds ingame are... except cut scenes and voices ;)

Thanks,

LJ

This is how ArmA 3 is meant to be played. :3

This plus Blastcore: Pheonix. :cool:

Or is it the script mainly handling the sounds for the Player?

Exactly. Its the scripts. Some sounds, especially AI fire, need to locate the exact position of the shooter/weapon. While in MP all these locations are given by the server and so the script does need to be running on the server either and then broadcast to each individual using JSRS. So there goes a few frames already, plus all clients joining that server also need JSRS in order to not get spamed by endless RPT reports cause by the script. With the new script we go around all that and the whole mod stays client-side.

LJ

Exactly. Its the scripts. Some sounds, especially AI fire, need to locate the exact position of the shooter/weapon. While in MP all these locations are given by the server and so the script does need to be running on the server either and then broadcast to each individual using JSRS. So there goes a few frames already, plus all clients joining that server also need JSRS in order to not get spamed by endless RPT reports cause by the script. With the new script we go around all that and the whole mod stays client-side.

LJ

Great news. Keep it up.

Exactly. Its the scripts

So..can it be considered as a *cheap workaround if i just install=>run @DF on server also?

Problems with missing gunshots etc will be fixed although temporarily?

So..can it be considered as a *cheap workaround if i just install=>run @DF on server also?

Problems with missing gunshots etc will be fixed although temporarily?

Well the basic script is a bit complicated. And therefore there is no real chance for a workaround. But as said we are going for a new script and I will eventually release a single player version if the new script isn't getting there in time.

LJ

Awesome job man!!!!, I am impatient to hear that wonderful sound I heard before the 1.42 update, and this time improved.

Holy crap! I just came by here on a whim thinking the thread was still closed and I find out you've been making somehow even better sounds! Lord Jarhead you are amazing! Keep up the fine work!

LJ

Thanks for the reply. I am so looking forward to it and thank you very very much for your effort and energy put into this great mod.

Hey Lj !

Just a rapid (stupid) question, does L.ES still working with the new version ?

If dragonfyre doesnt work on Mp a light version (without script) can be combine with L.ES?

Or i really miss some explanation ? :p

Thanks ! :)

Edited by Yoyo2a

Hey Lj !

Just a rapid (stupid) question, does L.ES still working with the new version ?

If dragonfyre doesnt work on Mp a light version (without script) can be combine with L.ES?

Or i really miss some explanation ? :p

Thanks ! :)

Sure it could, but DFyre is not designed to work/sound good with L_ES. Thats why L_ES is build into the scripted version of DFyre so I can design the sounds to fit along.

LJ