Little curious about this myself. At the very least, in the future will you maybe consider updating any MP compatible versions like Dragonfyre light to the new weapon sounds (leaving out any mp scripted features)?

I know it's early for questions regarding the future after your next release but I couldn't hold my myself back. Either way, really glad your back, Dragonfyre is the only sound mod worth using for me. I hope your personal life continues to look up, there's nothing worse than trying to work on something and having something else on the back of your mind.

edit: Your above post already answered a lot of questions I had, thanks.

Considering how much ArmA benefits of its Multiplayer I sure to say that all mods I made do have the initial need to be mp-compatible. Even if DragonFyre does not seems to fit in there right now, I'm pretty sure in the future there will be both, LITE and this fully scripted version ready for action in Multiplayer.

The LITE version will be updated as well as soon as I get some progress to report :)

Thanks,

LJ

So there war a new update bringing some new stuff thats interesting.

The new turret sounds are divided into vertical and horizontal movement sounds, which is kinda cool. Obviously the new feature did not made it into their actual configs so there goes that. I will try to trigger the new entries myself and see if I can have some cool sounds going for these entries.

Also the cracks got updated. The new system allows me to recreate some really cool effects with my samples and it sounds absolutely amazing to me right now. The core element that makes this new system so great is the possibility of dividing the snaps and cracks even in three parts now, close, mid and far. Before it was just close and far. And it was just a standard entry, no values except distance, volume and pitch was allowed. Now I can even address the speed of a bullet that is needed to create a snap at all. Which is amazing if you ask me.

Besides this, the vehicle sounds got much of improvement towards the stereo use. Inside the vehicle you can locate the engine based on the sound. Is the engine in front and you look to the left, you hear it on your right ears, is the engine in the back (Some trucks, basically all helicopters) you hear is on the left. On the helicopter I was able to make cool effects with wind noises. When you are the pilot and you look over to your should you can hear the wind coming from the open side doors.

Jets got some updating either. The engine sounds got tweaked and reduced in volume, pitch and high frequencies. The point was that some people sit in these planes for hours even and they dont want a buzzing high frequency slowly burning into their ears I guess. Also some sounds depend on the speed of the plane which sounds amazingly cool to me, despite the fact if its real or not. The faster you fly (not based on thrust) the louder the "faster" the sound gets. I will make an video of that little entry, but to me its super cool and makes flying fun again.

Besides this obviously good stuff I struggle with some weird problems either. For some reason the external weapon sounds (third person) that are not scripted (within the first few meters) are kinda quiet, but when you shoot fast in succession you hear some sounds pop out to be much louder than others. Despite the fact that all have the same values in the configs AND be normalized samples. So clearly thats an engine/config kinda problem I'm not able to sort out by now. Plus the scripts, but LAx was already skyping me about a new script and that I will probably switch over to it soon.

Actually the SP/solo DFyre version, or scripted version, runs pretty smooth and fine. There are no real problems, its just some fine tuning going. For single player its kinda perfect right now. Probably going to make a release some day soon and we will see what we can do. What you come up with, suggestions, ideas or even problems.

Thanks alot,

LJ

What about JSRS for MP? ;)

See:

...but LAx was already skyping me about a new script and that I will probably switch over to it soon.

... that was kinda meant like a new script thats proper for MP :)

LJ

Glad to read these plans LJ, eagerly looking forward to a full Dragonfyre MP compatible version!

Its always very good to hear updates from you and even better to hear that you yourself are impressed with what you've got! If you are thinking its amazing then that means I'll be blown away ;)

About the Jet-Speed sounds:

4KalpAthJy8

Please let me know what you think about it :) Did I mentioned its not made to be realistic? :P

LJ

I want to hear recochettes bounce off ground and hit plane parts and skidd off the ground.

im intersted to see whats happened with distant battle sounds and explosions that stuff is my favorite

Jarhead these sounds are AMAZING :D dude look that the engines looks like is gonna blow up it's claiming for you to slow down and that's great brother loved it <3.

And the crash sounds are very cool.

And the heli sounds how they are going ?

Good to hear you're doing better LJ, and also to see you back with the mod :)

Awesome i just randomly came to this thread today and see posts for LordJarhead himself ! I am glad to see your back at it LordJarhead. JSRS is the first mod we tell our new recruits to download. Its a must, a prerequisite, a standard. Looking forward to news and updates on Dragonfyre !

The new Silencer effects are shaping slowly. Here is a video showing the different area and tail effects:

ugCYoIdCkC8

Hope you like it. Leave some suggestions and opinions.

Obviously modern Silencers would be much louder if you shoot normal super sonic ammunition. Tho I figured its 2035, so they'd probably use the right ammo along the silencers, right? :P

LJ

Am I the only one that thinks those jet noises... sound odd.. pretty sure any wind "speed" noise is completely drowned out by A) general Wind buffeting.... Difference between 250mph and 400mph is LOUD to LOUD not like a hoover with a variable speed dial. And B) engine noise in a fighter like that is TOTALLY drowning out pretty much everything else....

example riding a bike at 100mph with wind noise vs 150mph with wind noise - trust me they're both pretty similar... LOUD but without the scale represented here.

Maybe it's just me but the effect needs toning down somewhat I thought ?

Hope you like it. Leave some suggestions and opinions.

Obviously modern Silencers would be much louder if you shoot normal super sonic ammunition. Tho I figured its 2035, so they'd probably use the right ammo along the silencers, right? :P

LJ

I was going to say that, at least with modern ammo/suppressors, they were a little quiet. Maybe in 2035, everyone is running a .300 BO-type of ammo. Pistols sound good, though. I'm just eager to hear your bullet snaps. The BIS ones are just terrible and I really miss yours from before the last major BIS update.

Am I the only one that thinks those jet noises... sound odd.. pretty sure any wind "speed" noise is completely drowned out by A) general Wind buffeting.... Difference between 250mph and 400mph is LOUD to LOUD not like a hoover with a variable speed dial. And B) engine noise in a fighter like that is TOTALLY drowning out pretty much everything else....

example riding a bike at 100mph with wind noise vs 150mph with wind noise - trust me they're both pretty similar... LOUD but without the scale represented here.

I think you'd be surprised how much wind noise and engine noise there is, especially with turbine engines. An enclosed cockpit (as opposed to an open cockpit like a bike) creates an obscene amount of wind. Just going from 80 knots to 120 knots in a helicopter is significantly nosier. 140 knots is just annoying to try and talk over. While my jet time is severely limited, it was amazing how loud both the ECS and the wind was (although, to be fair, the ECS was the main culprit).

I think you'd be surprised how much wind noise and engine noise there is, especially with turbine engines. An enclosed cockpit (as opposed to an open cockpit like a bike) creates an obscene amount of wind. Just going from 80 knots to 120 knots in a helicopter is significantly nosier. 140 knots is just annoying to try and talk over. While my jet time is severely limited, it was amazing how loud both the ECS and the wind was (although, to be fair, the ECS was the main culprit).

That's right, air supply, thermal control, pressurization and avionics cooling are quite Noisy in a cockpit, and agreed, Wind and engine are the major part of the perceived sounds. but i have to agree with Serjames about the sound "scale" compared to speed, for the very reason Gatordev exposes though : after watching the video, the feeling is quite...strange...the acceleration/decceleration effect reminds me a mix of elite dangerous and a race car transmission...i mean, the engine sound seems too prominent compared to the Wind at about 245-270 knots (450-500 km/h), and keeps multiplicating/decreasing with the speed, like in the space "sim", or a race car gearbox.

Even if the thrust range has to be rendered by a sound variation, a turbine at full charge stays at full charge and won't make more noise with the speed, but air friction and stress sounds over the hull will...

yes, youtube crap, just to get the idea...

, or
(starting at 11:00 for a good speed decrease effect)...see how Wind and constraints over the hull exceed the turbine sound at high speed levels, and how the opposite happens at low speed?

Noticed that it is wip, and not so "realistic" by choice (fluid dynamics and air drag may be very hard to simulate in A3 engine), but, what do you think?

the silencer effects on the second video are very interesting...keep up the good work :)

Edited by Megiddo

Im so excited! and I just can't hide it! Yeah.:cool:

Really like the work you do m8.