XRbvCOdVqW4

This video is just to show some progress and the overall changes to the latest DFyre development. The version RC6 (Which is just running intern for now) has some new features and tweaks:

-New Distance script sounds and effects for a better soundscape

-New idea: So called Direct Echoing. Sounds that will create an immediate echo of the weapon based on the environmental surroundings, even with smooth transitions. Tho this is still HEAVY WIP guys, keep that in mind please

-All vehicle sounds for interior have been made to stereo, which gives a more solid realistic feeling driving in a vehicle, flying a helicopter or jet even

-Minor script tweaks for faster performance

-New DLC weapons are covered + perfect fitting reloading sounds

-All normal-weapon sounds got a facelift. A complete new feel of sound got applied. Same goes for explosions. Much smoother, less crispy and with a lot of tweaks fitting the new scripts AND the new tail system

-New soniccrack system got covered and new cracks were added to the mod. Audible difference between sub- and supersonic ammunition

That would be all I guess. I have made so many changes since my last video update, so thats all the most recent things I can think of.

Hope you like it.

LJ

Feedback time.

-Direct echoing sounds very convicing so far, good job. You say it's heavy WIP, can't imagine how it'll sound like when it's done :)

-Vehicle sounds are quite nice.

-DLC weapon sounds are great as well.

-The weakest part of the video for me started at 5:51. The soundscape transformed in an horribly loud and distorted mess there. The round impacts were SUPER loud, but not in a good way. There was no punch at all. They should have a brief loudness peak, instead of being loud throughout all the sample (which results in a flat sounds). Same thing with the gun reverb there.

Edit: given that BI has yet to fix the reload sounds being horribly unsynced (noticeable in your video as well), I was wondering: can you make something like a simple script that makes the reloading sounds start in conjuction with the animation, rather than as soon as the reload key is pressed? I believe this is the reason why sound desync happens there. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22990

Edited by FrankHH

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and that I may have missed it.

Do you advise to not use other mods (soundscape) with yours? If I run just DF I do not hear that echo, reverb, as prominently as I do with DF+SS. Your forum thread states... "Also: DO NOT mix this soundmod with other soundmods!"

....Can you please confirm this because I just saw this video...

...and I miss that echoing...

Thanks!

Feedback time.

1-Direct echoing sounds very convicing so far, good job. You say it's heavy WIP, can't imagine how it'll sound like when it's done :)

2-Vehicle sounds are quite nice.

3-DLC weapon sounds are great as well.

4-The weakest part of the video for me started at 5:51. The soundscape transformed in an horribly loud and distorted mess there. The round impacts were SUPER loud, but not in a good way. There was no punch at all. They should have a brief loudness peak, instead of being loud throughout all the sample (which results in a flat sounds). Same thing with the gun reverb there.

5-Edit: given that BI has yet to fix the reload sounds being horribly unsynced (noticeable in your video as well), I was wondering: can you make something like a simple script that makes the reloading sounds start in conjuction with the animation, rather than as soon as the reload key is pressed? I believe this is the reason why sound desync happens there. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22990

1 - 3, Thanks, glad you like it.

4: Yeah I know what you mean. those rounds where .50 from a COAX of a Vasruk up the hill, so they need to be super loud and dangerous. Tho I get your point and consider to change something.

5: No, its not possible from my point of view (Probably someone can script that) but for it is also not really needed. Most of the time the reloading sounds fit I guess.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and that I may have missed it.

Do you advise to not use other mods (soundscape) with yours? If I run just DF I do not hear that echo, reverb, as prominently as I do with DF+SS. Your forum thread states... "Also: DO NOT mix this soundmod with other soundmods!"

....Can you please confirm this because I just saw this video...

...and I miss that echoing...

Thanks!

When this video was created, L_ES wasn't integrated into DFyre. Now it is in DFyre (scripted) but not the echo script because of performance and because it wouldn't be needed actually. I mean to not merge this mod with other soundmods since then always something gets screwed up and then people start complaining and post problems that dont really exist. :)

LJ

Nice vid, the WIP sounds are very promising.

random firefights were quite impressive, the sense of a "living battlefield" is convincing and as a player you seem to compute easely where and at which distance the sounds come from. direct echoing heard from a distance seems to add some very interesting thickness/"flesh" to the sounds and gunfights. agreed with FrankHH about the round impacts.

did you obtained this result using distance sounds+direct echo from the new engine, or were you still using enhanced soundscape? (performance related)

Anyway, can't wait to see more.

Keep up the good work :)

Edited by Megiddo

You sir, are Jesus of ArmA. :notworthy:

Great stuff! The distant explosions and vehicles sounds are especially amazing. It seems that sonic cracks are REALLY loud, and they aren't heard from far away. From the combat footage I've watched it seems that even bullets passing 10+meters away are still audible as little "snaps" such as this video

I really enjoy your work so far though; can't wait for a new release :)

I really like the direct echo implementation here. It's not quite as much of a sonic din as before. And those sonic cracks sound great. Looking forward to the update!

Your distance sounds are simply superb, but all of the gun shots from the perspective of the player is waaay to loud and there is no dynamic to the samples. The sound in and of it self is nice, but it lacks the punch in my opinion. Your explotions are insane though, utterly insane (in a good way).

5: No, its not possible from my point of view (Probably someone can script that) but for it is also not really needed. Most of the time the reloading sounds fit I guess.

Could you potentially just add some silence to the beginning of the sample so that by the time the actual reload sound begins it's in sync with the animation? My experience in this area is mostly in music editing but at least in that realm, adding a little bit of silence to a track is a pretty easy affair. Of course, it could be a different situation in this application, but that's the first thought that comes to my mind.

Could you potentially just add some silence to the beginning of the sample so that by the time the actual reload sound begins it's in sync with the animation? My experience in this area is mostly in music editing but at least in that realm, adding a little bit of silence to a track is a pretty easy affair. Of course, it could be a different situation in this application, but that's the first thought that comes to my mind.

The samples start mostly with a muted area of a few milliseconds, then you hear first arm movement sounds. The samples are suited for the animation, beginning with the press of the reloading button. Thats the exact time the sample begins to play.

LJ

When this video was created, L_ES wasn't integrated into DFyre. Now it is in DFyre (scripted) but not the echo script because of performance and because it wouldn't be needed actually. I mean to not merge this mod with other soundmods since then always something gets screwed up and then people start complaining and post problems that dont really exist.

....Thanks for the clarification.

Is the new RC playing nice with the new version of CBA?

Your distance sounds are simply superb, but all of the gun shots from the perspective of the player is waaay to loud and there is no dynamic to the samples. The sound in and of it self is nice, but it lacks the punch in my opinion. Your explotions are insane though, utterly insane (in a good way).
same impression here. Explosions are superb and gunshots have a lack of punch in the mid frequencies (reverb is as loud as the primary gunshot, and the gunshot makes too much "krrrßßßßß" (=distortion))

It's sounding great LJ, thanks for the work. Your work is shaping up great, I can't wait to try it out :)

Haters gonna hate jarhead.

My only advice is that sonic cracks should be more: hiss, whistle, and pop. The snaps are good too but they often sound way too loud, almost like they were derived from an urban setting.

Gunshots should be loud. Ask anyone who has ever done this shit for real. That part you have down. Don't venture too far from what has worked so well.

Hmmm hell yeah, can't wait to play with Dragonfyre again :]

Ok holy shit, I've just finished watching the video. The tank main gun and the impact of the shell sound absolutely amazing.

And the random firefight at 5:42 - 6:22. That is just fucking epic. I mean seriously, the sound is fucking awesome.

It may be rather impractically on the long term, but I personally would love to have an increasing volume (maybe at least a bit) from small arms to autocannons to tank guns (+artillery guns).

I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it was a bug or not fully tweaked yet, but as far as I can remember in RC4 a tank firing only 10-30m away already felt rather quiet, less loud than your rifle. I would guess a tank gun firing 10-30 or maybe even more meters away would be louder and would feel more intense than some common rifle going of right beside you.

[Also judging by link and link (that source says as far as I understand, a firing tank gun produces a sound pressure level of around 250 dB at the muzzle, which pretty insane and around 100 dB higher than your average rifle sound pressure).]

And of course all those large caliber guns should be audible as far as reasonable ;)

Edited by pils

My only advice is that sonic cracks should be more: hiss, whistle, and pop. The snaps are good too but they often sound way too loud, almost like they were derived from an urban setting.

Gunshots should be loud. Ask anyone who has ever done this shit for real. That part you have down. Don't venture too far from what has worked so well.

Hehe, funny you say that. I did! Not in an actual warfare condition tho but I know how weapons feel, sound and handle and I'm just trying to replicate that in DFyre :) Only problem is the dynamic, its not realistic enough right now... but I'll find a way.

LJ

Only problem is the dynamic, its not realistic enough right now... but I'll find a way.

Thanks for acknowledging that. I always liked your previous work but I never started using DragonFyre and this is probably the biggest reason I had. Gunshots are just too compressed and noisy. If you could somehow tweak that, then maybe DF would deserve a place on my harddrive again :)

Keep up the good work.

My only advice is...

now you are a hater too....in your own logic ;)

And now to be not a hater: Lord King of Jarhead you are my distant-explosion-god :p

....better?

now you are a hater too....in your own logic

And now to be not a hater: Lord King of Jarhead you are my distant-explosion-god

....better?

I prefer your "I act like an adult and give constructive feedback if I think there is something I`d like to mention and help the creator of this free-to-use modification to do a little bit better next time"-behavior!

.... and now pray that your post deserves my attention! :p;)

LJ

There's nothing that ever I see as "wrong" with JSRS.

I cannot say the same about some other mods that believe that gunfire should sound quiet and timid. I'm not a hater, I just really liked JSRS 1.5 because it featured the whistles and whizzes that haven't been in the mod since Arma 3 came about... I'm not necessarily asking for change, just to see some old features of the mod return. I've always liked the gritty and loud audio, it's closer to reality than these over the top polished recordings. The ear does not filter out audio when it is too loud.

Can't wait. New sounds from BI are good but nothing compared to yours. Only reason I only use vanilla weapons if because of this haha. Good work LJ

Hmmm hell yeah, can't wait to play with Dragonfyre again :]

Ok holy shit, I've just finished watching the video. The tank main gun and the impact of the shell sound absolutely amazing.

And the random firefight at 5:42 - 6:22. That is just fucking epic. I mean seriously, the sound is fucking awesome.

It may be rather impractically on the long term, but I personally would love to have an increasing volume (maybe at least a bit) from small arms to autocannons to tank guns (+artillery guns).

I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it was a bug or not fully tweaked yet, but as far as I can remember in RC4 a tank firing only 10-30m away already felt rather quiet, less loud than your rifle. I would guess a tank gun firing 10-30 or maybe even more meters away would be louder and would feel more intense than some common rifle going of right beside you.

[Also judging by link and link (that source says as far as I understand, a firing tank gun produces a sound pressure level of around 250 dB at the muzzle, which pretty insane and around 100 dB higher than your average rifle sound pressure).]

And of course all those large caliber guns should be audible as far as reasonable ;)

I do fully agree with you here. The only problem is the games dynamics. If, lets say, I make a realistic audible difference of a 100dB between rifles and tank weapons, the tank would be normal audio volume, the rifles wouldn't be able to notice at all. The thing is, there is a limit to all sounds. So all sounds, when normalized, can be increased by a few percent until they hit the limiter. Which means either you have really loud tank weapons that would cause the limiter to freak out and all sounds sound distorted and screwed but you have some kind of more realistic difference, or you have it the way it is right now.

What would make the most sense would be a engines feature that detects when a sound is (via config value) louder than any other sound around its radius. So when this sound plays, all other sounds should be shrink in volume drastically for a few seconds, which would then give us a good sense for audible dynamic range. Lets say you are running ingame, moving sounds 50% audible, environment 15%... you shot, your weapon sounds become 100% audible since its the loudest things in its radius. Now a tank fires, his cannon sounds play at 100%, your running sounds 0% audible, same for environment, your own weapon sounds 5 - 10% audible and that just because the camera location is in the radius of that cannon (lets say within 300 meters). After fife seconds your weapon sounds go back to 100%.

And you could even go further on this: Say you didn't fired your weapon once for the last 30 Minutes. The environment became louder, footsteps are louder, little birds are louder, all those smaller sounds become more louder and natural and you all notice these. But when the shooting begins, and you are in a heavy firefight for a few minutes, all sounds become lower and they stay this way even a minute or two after the firing is over. Like in real life your ears have to adjust to the given audible noises around you...

Argh... I'm drifting and dreaming again... :D

LJ

It's a good dream LJ... It's a good dream. But currently as it stands for the tech you're given it does sound good and by far better than anyone else's IMO... I've never ducked my head in my chair while gaming... until I've heard your damn snaps go over my virtual head! you bastard!!! lawl thanks for the awesome experiences you've given me can't wait to try out the new stuff! :D