@Lord Jarhead (or anyone who knows):

Just to be clear, you are not dropping Dragonfyre in favor of the Lite version correct? As I understand it, you are holding off on updating it until the Marksman DLC arrives (and the sound updates from BI stop). I know it should be obvious, but I just wanted to ask. Thanks for any replies.

@Lord Jarhead (or anyone who knows):

Just to be clear, you are not dropping Dragonfyre in favor of the Lite version correct? As I understand it, you are holding off on updating it until the Marksman DLC arrives (and the sound updates from BI stop). I know it should be obvious, but I just wanted to ask. Thanks for any replies.

Yeah that is the best way to get the mod to work right. Because I'm not really interested in changing the mod each week. I want a solid, not changing platform to work on. I work besides their current development but I'm not sure what will happen next...

LJ

@Lord Jarhead:

Awesome! I can't wait for the next Dragonfyre update. You have truly made Arma into something amazing for me. Also, as far as these naysayers go, who nitpick the sound as "unrealistic", etc... I just wanted to tell you that I'm a two deployment Infantryman in the US Army, and while the sounds aren't "life-like", they are 10,000,000 times better than stock Arma 3. I would rather have Hollywood sound effects than the dull, dry sounds that come packaged into the game. You, Sir, have my thanks. Have fun on your trip and if you come back remembering everything about it, you didn't get drunk enough.

Leaving aside the above comments, I want to clarify that for me this mod is the best sound and that more care has in improving the game experience .

be

If this mod is included in the game officially - I dont know - I will rejoice much for all that this would imply to improve the sound of the game , without being bad with this mod would will be much more better.

I'm somewhat late to the schism that happened earlier, but I feel I need to make some civil observations on the matter.

I think Megagoth seems to be mistaken as to why people like JSRS, and specifically why some people (such as myself) - like JSRS Dragonfyre.

First of all, trying to claim that the appeal of Dragonfyre is the fact that it's "loud" is something of a strawman in my personal opinion.

That being said, my personal reasons for liking Dragonfyre are quite specifically because the scripted-in sound dynamics that he has created for this specific incarnation are completely UNLIKE anything else seen in the ARMA series, much less in many other games.

For anyone who has actually used firearms in a variety of circumstances, they will know that geography and architecture play a huge role in sound dynamics.

Flat, open areas result in more muted discharge sounds, especially if if the ground beneath is soft and absorbs sound easily, Dragonfyre's default sounds model this quite well and represent a nice balance between sounding both convincing and aesthetically pleasing.

Closed or architecturally and "geographically dense" areas, especially when comprised with more dense, and reflective materials will greatly increase the reverberation of the sounds, these in particular add so much more environmental immersion and increase the tension of fighting in enclosed areas.

This in particular has raised the bar of sound dynamics in ALL FPS-type games, not simply ARMA. The door has opened and there's no going back, and it has VERY LITTLE to do with overall sound volume.

In relative terms I usually don't have my volume cranked when playing with Dragonfyre, however if you've ever fired a gun in an enclosed space, yes the reverberation and the sound depth is overwhelmingly different, and that is a good thing to simulate in my opinion, it's not merely that it is loud that one would find it appealing.

Additionally, on the topic of volume, I actually am not a huge fan of the bullet snaps being deafening, I agree with anyone who says they should be loud enough to get the point across and not enough to require you to turn your sound down so that it adversely impacts the quality of hearing the other sounds.

I hope that clears up why Dragonfyre demonstrates considerable benefits and why it's possible that LJ was invited to visit BI studio; and why they may consider accommodating some of his innovations by integrating them as features - so as to improve the economy of performance.

LJ is spearheading some important ideas here, and I'm VERY glad BI is taking notice, it shows BI pays attention to and cares about it's community of users. Regardless of whether you dislike his particular sound mod, or whether you're perturbed because you feel you're in contention with him with your competing sound mod - you have to understand that objectively speaking, I think the innovations LJ has decided to implement into his mod have lasting implications for the genre as a whole.

That being said, I will say that from a personal perspective many megagoth's sounds seem exceedingly flat and artificial sounding on their own. If his mod had some of the same dynamic additions that Dragonfyre had to improve the dimension of the sounds given different environmental conditions - they would probably sound a lot better.

Personally I think Megagoth's sounds don't evoke the same sense of intensity and immersion that those of Dragonfyre offer. I'm not saying this to discourage him, as I'm sure he will find an audience with some who actually do appreciate less intense sounding weapons. However I am trying to offer some context as to why some people might actually prefer Dragonfyre, and it isn't simply a matter of volume.

In general, I think it's fantastic that BI is paying attention to creative and talented individuals in our community who seek to improve the game in fundamental ways.

I think most people can appreciate that.

Edited by Pd3

I still hear default ArmA 3 grenade explosions when an A-164's gun rounds impact the ground. Do you plan on changing it to the crackling sound to sound similar to real GAU-8 impacts?

Also, are you planning on adding any more "features" to JSRS DF? Or is the focus now to refine and polish what you have so far?

I still hear default ArmA 3 grenade explosions when an A-164's gun rounds impact the ground. Do you plan on changing it to the crackling sound to sound similar to real GAU-8 impacts?

Also, are you planning on adding any more "features" to JSRS DF? Or is the focus now to refine and polish what you have so far?

The current plan is: Wait for 1.42 and then take a look at what BIS has done to the Audio part of the engine.

Lord jarhead,im curently rearanging my mods list and iv had to scrap this mod for the moment for performance reasons,also i use 0 vanilla assets in game and alot of your PBO's are directly changing vanilla weapons/veihicles sounds.

However i really like the movement PBO and bullet hits. Could you advise me as to what files besides these two i need for them to function?Is it core pbo(as i beleive i saw two of them).

Thanks for any help

EDIT:Im aware of the light version and currently considering it.Thanks for that also

Lord jarhead,im curently rearanging my mods list and iv had to scrap this mod for the moment for performance reasons,also i use 0 vanilla assets in game and alot of your PBO's are directly changing vanilla weapons/veihicles sounds.

However i really like the movement PBO and bullet hits. Could you advise me as to what files besides these two i need for them to function?Is it core pbo(as i beleive i saw two of them).

Thanks for any help

EDIT:Im aware of the light version and currently considering it.Thanks for that also

P_Environmentsounds.pbo, e_movement and e_bullethits are needed pbos for you then...

LJ

P_Environmentsounds.pbo, e_movement and e_bullethits are needed pbos for you then...

LJ

Ahh so just the two and envoirment sound.Thank you

1st off, LOVE THE MOD... mixing this with blastcore must make arma the best 'feeling' game i have ever played.

now to business:

me, and several of my fellow compatriots have a slight (more than) issue where we cannot hear the weapon sounds from our allied guns. this ranges from stock arma to a wide variety of mods. some we can some we cant with no particular pattern. although i can hear the enemy AI weapons and my own, and some guns that i can or cant hear will be audible, or not if they have silencer (modded or not).

i have NO OTHER sound mods (other then one for the f18 mod which i disabled to test this error) and my freind mostly have the same (but some do not) mods as well.

my guess is either its a glitch with the mods multiplayer/ server compatibility OR the arma 3 snipers PRE Patch's new weapon sounds have partially broken your wonderful mod? additionally, i cannot see the tracers of the weapons in which i can hear, ill check blastcore but its solely and effects mod and the sound glitch and tracers glitch are only happening with the same weapons (and it kinda destroys teamwork a bit).

Sorry to bug, ive just tried the sound pack and it doesnt sound anywhere close to the vids on the youtubes. Im getting muddy and garbled pops, instead of a clean snap?

Sorry to bug, ive just tried the sound pack and it doesnt sound anywhere close to the vids on the youtubes. Im getting muddy and garbled pops, instead of a clean snap?

if you mean the snaps and cracks effects, they seem to be broken since the 1.40 update, and you hear the vanilla sounds. this will be fixed after the marksmen dlc is deployed i think.

I still hear default ArmA 3 grenade explosions when an A-164's gun rounds impact the ground.

That's from AGM, take a look at AGM aircraft pbo.

We have found the issue (kinda) that prevent people from hearing each others weapons. Hopefully we can sort that out. It should be a script tweak after all. SP wise its working fine so far, but MP is a different kinda pie.

ak-shooting.jpg

So after the recording session with Bohemia and firing a bunch of real weapons (thats me firing there) I really had to overlook all my sounds. Realistically its not possible to recreate a deccent and authentic enough weapon sound in a game because of the massive dynamic thats missing. Some weapons go even over 140dB and its not possible to create this wide dynamic range in a game obviously. So I kinda tweaked all other unimportant sounds lower, environment, movement, gear and foley, all of that goes down a notch. While weapons got a big overlook. I even trashed alot of the older sounds and created new from scratch. This time, without clipping and to high passy sounds.

Also I tried to look up the problem with the soniccracks that are not really working in JSRS right now. There got a switch over somewhere that I missed. I see all the older config entries still being there but I can`t seem to find the real issue so far. But I will still try to.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Sounds great LJH, I am glad Bohemia is taking time to allow you to better your mod and your overall experience.

So after the recording session with Bohemia and firing a bunch of real weapons (thats me firing there) I really had to overlook all my sounds. Realistically its not possible to recreate a deccent and authentic enough weapon sound in a game because of the massive dynamic thats missing. Some weapons go even over 140dB and its not possible to create this wide dynamic range in a game obviously. So I kinda tweaked all other unimportant sounds lower, environment, movement, gear and foley, all of that goes down a notch. While weapons got a big overlook. I even trashed alot of the older sounds and created new from scratch. This time, without clipping and to high passy sounds.

LJ

Now that is good news. We're finally on the right track here my friend, took you long enough. :p Hehehe. It's a whole different thing firing the stuff yourself, eh? :yay:

that is very nice news , will we witness something close to reality? im talking about firefight environment because even with DR3 its not close to the real thing you know the immersion and bullet cracks etc.

The big thing i was looking for, and I assume will be adjusted later is the realistic snap and crack of being shot at like some of the JSRS videos from youtube have shown . I remember trying out jsrs' vs vanilla and others. And hands down, JSRS is on point for sounds of recieving fire and returning fire, i get all giddy reminiscing of iraq and afghanistan. I do however wish that vehicle sounds would stay vanilla. You're doing outstanding work sir, keep it up.

I have an issue,... in 3rd person the walking sound it's in my left side, but in 1st person it's OK on both sides. Anyone wit the same problem!?!?

Nice update. Gunshots and explosions won't ever feel as loud as they actually are in real life if the other elements in the game wuch as weather effects and ambience are also loud. Since a lot of the vanilla BIS sounds are loud as they are by default, I can imagine how easy it could be to fall into the trap where you must increase the volume of your own sounds to make them stick out. Looking forward to future updates. :)

Gunshots and explosions won't ever feel as loud as they actually are in real life if the other elements in the game wuch as weather effects and ambience are also loud. Since a lot of the vanilla BIS sounds are loud as they are by default, I can imagine how easy it could be to fall into the trap where you must increase the volume of your own sounds to make them stick out. Looking forward to future updates. :)

Been saying it forever. :cool:

Been saying it forever. :cool:

we get it, you dont like the loudness of jsrs... its simple. you dont like it, dont use it... end of story, move on to your own mod, please and thank you, have a pleasant day!!