I'm sure its not a secret but I've been invited to Bohemia for a couple of days by next week to Mnisek Studio and will take a look at the game in development :) Then I'm probably more able to get things prepared for future changes and adjust my mods to the build/structure.

I know, patience is not a stretchable synonym :D

LJ

Fantastic news LJ!! Your work is phenomenal and I couldn't play Arma without it.

Great works, LJ! With all the additions to the base Arma 3, you've certainly made it a more popular title with Dragonfyre.

You totally deserve a work position @BIS or at least lots of beers, sightseeing around the studios, and lunch! ;)

Uhm. Right now I feel jealous as hell :o: and if this seems rude, so be it. This is honest feedback that has been in my head for as long as JSRS exists but BI inviting Dennis to the studio is the last straw that breaks the camels back for me. BI's sounds are going into a CRAP direction right now and it's not going to get better with JSRS-style input.

The mod:

I have some respect for everyone doing sound/whos willing to sit down and learn stuff. Most people out there don't even know how important sound is and beyond that have no grasp on how it works. They don't even know low frequencies from high frequencies. So hats off to all sound guys. But there are objective measures of "good" and "bad" in audio design & processing. Distorted = bad, no dynamics = bad, weird EQ = bad JSRS uses distorted, crushed, hyperloud sounds. JSRS fights against arma3's limiter all the time by pressing many superloud sounds together. There is barely any low end punch in your weapons. If this is your definition of "good" you obviously are motivated, but not well enough educated on sound design/processing. The distance scripts really helped the mod to get known. Hat off to that, really needed to happen in Arma. You have very good marketing skills. Your website and videos are well done. And as we all know, marketing is doing most of the job to sell stuff to people. Just look at real life examples, many broken games that got released, the G36 rifle that SUCKS in Afghanistan and the american people "hurrah!"-ing the Iraq war against Hussein although Hussein was a good business partner for the USA and did lots of dirty work for them in the iraq-iran war. Marketing has the power to sell bullshit.

This community:

Most of this community is uneducated when it comes to sound, especially the people following JSRS with a passion. Fact. The reason people could even think JSRS sounds "real" is because real for them means YouTube videos. And firefight youtube videos have CRAP sound. Claiming these sounds to be realistic shows that people don't have a clue on how sound works. This alone is not a bad thing though, lacking education can always be provided. Do yourself a favor and watch "STOP THE LOUDNESS WAR!" in my signature. The bad thing happens when many uneducated people rally up behind something of low quality and this affects others. Back in the day when JSRS came out, it was loud and distorted and I ignored it. But there is this thing called "snowball effect". If 100 people like something, they are likely to attract more people. Go to twitch and note how you are more likely to watch streams with more viewers. Humans behave this way. Fact. And now we have a sonic bulldozer of acoustic trash with a following in the hundreds if not even thousands blindly believing that they have found the holy grail of audio. The mod creator is called an "Expert in sound design" although he clearly has barely any idea of it and is being invited to a game company for talks and opinion sharing.

Again - hard work is hard work and a bit of respect is due but at the end what matters is the result. A lot of the sound is crap but Dennis is a big guy in the community and apparently for BIS as well now. He contributes to well known mods and is respected. Well played, well done. I don't expect much of this community sound wise but I hope that BIS will some day wake up and realize that they mean well (weapon tails being separate = :yay:, interaction with the sound community ) but could have called people over to their studios who are more educated and suited for sound-design feedback.

Oh well. Rant over. Still jealous and going to work harder to compete. :cylon::shoot:

Edited by megagoth1702

Uhm. Right now I feel jealous as hell :o: and if this seems rude, so be it. This is honest feedback that has been in my head for as long as JSRS exists but BI inviting Dennis to the studio is the last straw that breaks the camels back for me. BI's sounds are going into a CRAP direction right now and it's not going to get better with JSRS-style input.

The mod:

I have some respect for everyone doing sound/whos willing to sit down and learn stuff. Most people out there don't even know how important sound is and beyond that have no grasp on how it works. They don't even know low frequencies from high frequencies. So hats off to all sound guys. But there are objective measures of "good" and "bad" in audio design & processing. Distorted = bad, no dynamics = bad, weird EQ = bad JSRS uses distorted, crushed, hyperloud sounds. JSRS fights against arma3's limiter all the time by pressing many superloud sounds together. There is barely any low end punch in your weapons. If this is your definition of "good" you obviously are motivated, but not well enough educated on sound design/processing. The distance scripts really helped the mod to get known. Hat off to that, really needed to happen in Arma. You have very good marketing skills. Your website and videos are well done. And as we all know, marketing is doing most of the job to sell stuff to people. Just look at real life examples, many broken games that got released, the G36 rifle that SUCKS in Afghanistan and the american people "hurrah!"-ing the Iraq war against Hussein although Hussein was a good business partner for the USA and did lots of dirty work for them in the iraq-iran war. Marketing has the power to sell bullshit.

This community:

Most of this community is uneducated when it comes to sound, especially the people following JSRS with a passion. Fact. The reason people could even think JSRS sounds "real" is because real for them means YouTube videos. And firefight youtube videos have CRAP sound. Claiming these sounds to be realistic shows that people don't have a clue on how sound works. This alone is not a bad thing though, lacking education can always be provided. Do yourself a favor and watch "STOP THE LOUDNESS WAR!" in my signature. The bad thing happens when many uneducated people rally up behind something of low quality and this affects others. Back in the day when JSRS came out, it was loud and distorted and I ignored it. But there is this thing called "snowball effect". If 100 people like something, they are likely to attract more people. Go to twitch and note how you are more likely to watch streams with more viewers. Humans behave this way. Fact. And now we have a sonic bulldozer of acoustic trash with a following in the hundreds if not even thousands blindly believing that they have found the holy grail of audio. The mod creator is called an "Expert in sound design" although he clearly has barely any idea of it and is being invited to a game company for talks and opinion sharing.

Again - hard work is hard work and a bit of respect is due but at the end what matters is the result. A lot of the sound is crap but Dennis is a big guy in the community and apparently for BIS as well now. He contributes to well known mods and is respected. Well played, well done. I don't expect much of this community sound wise but I hope that BIS will some day wake up and realize that they mean well (weapon tails being separate = :yay:, interaction with the sound community ) but could have called people over to their studios who are more educated and suited for sound-design feedback.

Oh well. Rant over. Still jealous and going to work harder to compete. :cylon::shoot:

You have balls dude. You're probably going to receive a lot of flak for this (not that you should give a damn). The truth is, you're an eye-opener. I've played with JSRS for a long time, and I ALWAYS noticed how distorted and youtube quality-like the samples were. I continually thought to myself "it's just Arma". But then you made me realize that it's really not. It's just the samples themselves.

If you didn't make an appearance here, I would've thought that BI inviting Jarhead would have been a good thing. But now, I don't really think so.

I'm sure your post is not meant to be offensive in any way, but more like an incentive for LJ to improve.

Edited by FrankHH

First of all I never asked for being famous or what ever I am in your eyes. ;) people might like my work or they don't. I never really said to be better than anyone else. And if the community thinks that jsrs is good, it's there opinion. I never said I'm a pro, I'm not. I'm not educated enough to work in that business, I know that either. But before you leave your comments on how bad this and that is, WHO said this invitation means ANY sort of cooperation with the developer... I got invited because I should be able to get a look into the studio, get in touch with the developer. Not making sounds for them and to "ruin" your game.

I don't get why people are jealous and start to ruin that trip for me now, we'll thanks a lot. After all this trip is mostly for my own education, learn about audio process and field recording. No one was talking about being invited for any cooperation.

I'm sry people see this like that. Now where I was finally getting a bit close, NOW you start pointing out what you think about my work instead of telling me earlier... Great. Thanks...

But well, the right of free speech and so...

First of all I never asked for being famous or what ever I am in your eyes. ;)

I never said you asked for anything. But you are now and "with great power comes great responsibility". Get educated and produce good sound so that we all can benefit from it! :)

people might like my work or they don't. I never really said to be better than anyone else.

I never said you said that. :)

And if the community thinks that jsrs is good, it's there opinion. I never said I'm a pro, I'm not. I'm not educated enough to work in that business, I know that either. But before you leave your comments on how bad this and that is, WHO said this invitation means ANY sort of cooperation with the developer... I got invited because I should be able to get a look into the studio, get in touch with the developer. Not making sounds for them and to "ruin" your game.

Maybe this is a mistake on my part. But I think like this. BI does not just invite people for no reason. Have you contacted them and asked for this trip? If yes, okay. But if no - it clearly shows their interest in you as a sound guy.

I don't get why people are jealous and start to ruin that trip for me now, we'll thanks a lot. After this trip is mostly for my own education, learn about audio process and field recording. No one was talking about being invited for any cooperation.

"There will be haters." I don't consider myself a hater but I'll explain this: When something reaches a high enogh level of publicity people with different opinions will show up and talk about it. Look at tokio hotel, justin bieber etc. Nobody gave a crap about them before they were well known. And also, as I stated in the very first post, I am jealous, because I spend a lot of time and effort learning to deal with sound properly and my dream job is to create sounds for a game company. This should explain a lot of the emotions going on through my head.

I'm sry people see this like that. Now where I was finally getting a bit close, NOW you start pointing out what you think about my work instead of telling me earlier... Great. Thanks...

But well, the right of free speech and so...

I dont like to ruin people's days unless I feel affected by the stuff they do, especially if they are useful in some way. It's human nature. I know this was hard to take, but it had to be said (freedom of speech as you said) and you will have to think about it and let it sink it a bit. Then you will do your trip, educate yourself and learn a shit ton about audio recording. And then do some more modding work because I know you can't stop. And some day we will drink a beer together and laugh about it.

Dude, just take it as feedback. We all have to take it. If 100 JSRS fans storm my thead and tell me my mod sucks it's cool. I've heard it and we all have to live with this.

I really like you as a person, earlier today you helped me out with configs and I am greatful for that. Keep it up.

@megagoth1702

I think what you typed is fine, however you should consider dropping the attitude.

The mod:

This community:

that's actually very daring of you to emit such a pamphlet right in this thread but, you spoke your honest mind, and this deserves respect...

now, here's my mind :

You're saying here that "marketing has the power to sell bullshit"...that's right many times, but i can't help thinking you're advertising for yourself with your post, to sell your own.

Then, i'm part of these "ignorant" people you're targeting, just a Customer as thousands, if no millions, are. Still, i've been knowing jsrs for a while now, for years...where are your finished products? Sound of Anders, a cooperation? Get your ears into the battle, some samples (as good as they can be) thrown in the ACE mod? MEGA'S soundpack? i Wonder if even a thousand people heard about this one...Do you really think we all are that blind?

My point? even if ignorant, the huge majority of people can't be wrong, neither some advised modders, nor a Professional studio like BIS. jsrs is now facing, as a "finished product", years and years of thanks, storms, tweaks, updates and recommandations from the community. you don't yet. Fact. please keep things where they belong to be.

Anyways, i wish you the best with your mod.

Edited by Megiddo

I never said you asked for anything. But you are now and "with great power comes great responsibility". Get educated and produce good sound so that we all can benefit from it! :)

I never said you said that. :)

Maybe this is a mistake on my part. But I think like this. BI does not just invite people for no reason. Have you contacted them and asked for this trip? If yes, okay. But if no - it clearly shows their interest in you as a sound guy.

"There will be haters." I don't consider myself a hater but I'll explain this: When something reaches a high enogh level of publicity people with different opinions will show up and talk about it. Look at tokio hotel, justin bieber etc. Nobody gave a crap about them before they were well known. And also, as I stated in the very first post, I am jealous, because I spend a lot of time and effort learning to deal with sound properly and my dream job is to create sounds for a game company. This should explain a lot of the emotions going on through my head.

I dont like to ruin people's days unless I feel affected by the stuff they do, especially if they are useful in some way. It's human nature. I know this was hard to take, but it had to be said (freedom of speech as you said) and you will have to think about it and let it sink it a bit. Then you will do your trip, educate yourself and learn a shit ton about audio recording. And then do some more modding work because I know you can't stop. And some day we will drink a beer together and laugh about it.

Dude, just take it as feedback. We all have to take it. If 100 JSRS fans storm my thead and tell me my mod sucks it's cool. I've heard it and we all have to live with this.

I really like you as a person, earlier today you helped me out with configs and I am greatful for that. Keep it up.

OK,

Many people know about me and taking criticism always kinda personal. I'm sry about that one and I'm sure you don't meant it to be personal ;)

And I'm jealous too sometimes... Yes. Well I will go there and will have a nice chat with them and see where things end up for me.

LJ

The mod:

This community:

live and let live bro.

you were talking about marketing.. maybe thats what this is. if not i don't get the value of this post.

no matter what i find your post just inappropriate and kind of insulting (not just for lordjarhead).

if you can, do "better" work then let people decide if they like your mod better than jsrs (or sos or others). no need to try force others to think same as you do.

i personally picked jsrs because it adds atmosphere that vanilla and any available mod couldn't offer. i don't care much about soundquality as long as it has a certain standard and i test every new sound mod to see or rather hear for myself if it sounds "good" for me.

i wouldn't hesitate a second to use a different mod if it sounded more appealing to me... even your mod (when its finished).

you know why lordjarhead is so popular in this community?

because he has worked on his mods for arma for quite a long time and is willing to improve with every new version (thats probably the reason why he was invited). additionally i haven't seen a post him bashing another community members creation.

just one thing for me left to say

keep your educated opinion to yourselve or at least stick to your own thread if its not good for anything...

Edited by flex

See you in the "addons and mods : COMPLETE" section.

This. Not much point complaining about other mods having inertia if you're not even in the running.

Now can we get back on topic and keep things civil. Failure to do so and the appropiate punishments will be handed out - Thanks

Edited by R0adki11

The mod:

This community:

First of all, you might know a lot about sound. But you clearly are as uneducated in game development as you claim this community to be in sound design. Because any halfwit that has ever been near a game in its development proces knows that there's a plethora of reasons why sound is compressed in gaming. Its because uncompressed sound is freakin HUGE which not only makes the game to large to install, but also really slow with massive loading times. So that whole theory on "the loudness war" is good and all, its also completely pointless. I also think its kind of ironic you ask us to watch a video on Youtube right after you slam it for creating false expectations of what sounds good and what doesn't.

Secondly, I don't know why LJ was invited by BI, I don't know wether he contacted them or they contacted him, but in any case. He has done something to capture their attention and you obviously have not. So why don't you just shut your big mouth, and come back when you have something descent to show, instead of bitching about how you feel it should be, and INSULTING the community. You missed your chance.

First of all, you might know a lot about sound. But you clearly are as uneducated in game development as you claim this community to be in sound design. Because any halfwit that has ever been near a game in its development proces knows that there's a plethora of reasons why sound is compressed in gaming. Its because uncompressed sound is freakin HUGE which not only makes the game to large to install, but also really slow with massive loading times.

Audio compression has nothing to do with data compression.

snip

I respect your opinion and agree with you on some things, but I really wonder why you didn´t provide that feedback when the mod was released, because then it would have been very welcome.

BI inviting LJ to their studio has nothing to do with them not valuing other sound mods, JSRS is just currently the soundmod that has all ingame sounds covered, is mostly finished, of good quality, and has a few unique but very important features like the distance script. That are the reasons why it is also the most used soundmod for Arma 2 and 3 (not because of some marketing stuff, because as far as I know (and I kind of would know because I´m a marketing guy) there was no marketing, only people recommending it to their friends) and I think that is the reason why LJ was invited. We all hope he learns a thing or two and that he can maybe influence the Devs a little bit to get some features in that would make soundmodding easier for everybody.

This. Not much point complaining about other mods having inertia if you're not even in the running.

If this was for me you're absolutely right. i was just picturing that i wouldn't come at a business meeting and talk about the "state of the art" without some masterpieces to show, even with non-professional partners ;)

my apologies if this was too much (end off-topic)

Edited by Megiddo

Kinda off topic, but LJ I'm pulling for ya and hope you have a wonderful safe trip. :) No matter what You deserve at least a great trip and vacation with the devs. :) Stay safe man and ENJOY yourself. ;)

Just tell them, they should fix the engine, not the sounds... That's your job.. Just keep working on your mod.. Like the last audio update on 1.40.. Did you actually listen to that?? It's super crap :))

LR

You are the man, what you are doing for Arma3 is fantastic! You got my full support !!!

I'm amazed some people are actually outraged that the best sound mod author was reached out to by Bohemia Interactive, despite not even knowing the details beyond that. I don't see how any of this can negatively effect the game, aside from the fact that JSRS does use a lot of scripts and hits performance, but if his methods were to be implemented into the base game/engine in a more intuitive and backend way, the default game would finally have a great sound engine and sound library that sounds and performs great.

I don't think BI would do something stupid like add something that would hinder the game's performance, especially in MP, since they've been really focused on doing the opposite lately and making optimizations where they can. I only see this as something that, hopefully, BI will learn from and maybe adopt into their game, like I've said above. This is very good news. :D

Final Warning, please keep any posts civil and any more off topic posts will result in the appropriate punishment.

Thanks

The mod:

This community:

You know when I started reading your post, I initially had a bad reaction to it. Certain words or the way you said things made be think "here we go, what a d!ck"... I mean even adding the rant about Saddam and "hurrah" really didn't help your case at all.

But then I went and clicked on one of the links in your sig, the mega sounds mod. From there I started watching/listening to your video comparison of sounds and I can actually see your point- both visually actually seeing the sound wave chart, and also hearing the differences.

I think you are off base to write the state of things off as being about 'marketing'. What really is going on is that people hear JSRS and they like, or they don't. Yes people can be sheep and convince themselves they 'like' something because they heard someone else says it's good... but that's what happens with everything all the time. Ultimately if they get the feeling 'I like this', does it make any difference whether they are an illogical git or not? The net result is 'I like this' either way. If you are worried that some of the likers also think it's realistic...well again... that happens with everything all the time. You can't cure illogical thinking, and if you could, that service needs applying to many more important area's of life than sound design in games.

I think it's hard for most people to know what 'real' sounds like anyway. I've never fired a gun, but even if I did go to a range, i'm pretty sure M4's and other military weapons are not allowed (in Australia). Even if they did, how can I quantify how my brain perceives the sound? While some people can pick notes from tunes- other people are "tone deaf" and can't pick a high from a low note. That begs a philosophical question of whether we hear the same thing as each other, or if we switched bodies, would the same sound be un-recognisable? Same goes for if you tried to record the sounds with a device to compare to later. I'm not qualified to even make an assumption about such a thing, but i'm pretty sure that ever different recording device will record a different sound from the same gun.

One more thing. I had a friend tell me once to turn all the bass and other equaliser settings off my stereo. He reckoned that he likes the music "the way the artist wanted it to sound when they recorded it". I could see his point but I knew there was a major flaw- the artist didn't record and play back the song on my stereo. To play the same song on my stereo will sound different to another. In regards to these sound mods- are they going to be 'realistic' if someone cranks the dial up on the bass? How different will the same sound be from one device's default setting to the next? Having said this though, the part in your video about the shot being loud at the start and going quieter will still apply, and I do think that part of the sound effects does make sense as you explained.

Ultimately though I think it comes down to a 'you make your mod, I'll make mine' situation... then Joe will play mod A, because he likes it and thinks it's realistic... while Jill will play mod B, because she thinks it's realistic... or just reckons fake sounds better.

Edited by owmyeye

This conversation should be over by now, I`m here already and I`m happy! :P

And before you still discuss whats the actual reason, its not because of my mod`s quality, its about my knowledge and experience in and around the ArmA-verse. :)

LJ

I'm sure its not a secret but I've been invited to Bohemia for a couple of days by next week to Mnisek Studio and will take a look at the game in development :) Then I'm probably more able to get things prepared for future changes and adjust my mods to the build/structure.

I know, patience is not a stretchable synonym :D

LJ

hehehe ;)