TWEAK: Reduced movement volume

Awesome stuff LordJarhead, the above was my only gripe - so can't wait to give it a shot tonight!

One other thing I've also noticed (and you may have fixed it), is when moving , if you take a small step and stop, the sound continues to play for what appears to be ~500ms after stopping. Not a big deal, but maybe something to take note of :)

ADD: Added wind noises to trees Didn't noticed any new tree win noises. Even with wind at 100%.

ADD: Added wind noises to trees Didn't noticed any new tree win noises. Even with wind at 100%.

Trees are meant to be "forest" for some weird reason, I can't give a single tree a sound sadly. I tried and in ArmA2 it was working tho...

LJ

Trees are meant to be "forest" for some weird reason, I can't give a single tree a sound sadly. I tried and in ArmA2 it was working tho...

LJ

I'll try a different location then.

Will the new update require new server keys for servers? I am not technical at all, so sorry for potential stupid question.

Also: any chance of me getting to test out RC5 as well? Will play tonight and tomorrow and gather what feedback I can.

Cheers.

Will the new update require new server keys for servers? I am not technical at all, so sorry for potential stupid question.

Also: any chance of me getting to test out RC5 as well? Will play tonight and tomorrow and gather what feedback I can.

Cheers.

No, its the same key, although I may should change it before people start mixing both versions up and we end up with new/the same problems again (!!!)

LJ

same here, dl link is finally working. feedback incoming asap. Thank you sir Jarhead :)

can´t find dl link :p

can´t find dl link :p

Its for their internal BETA, its not public (yet).

Sunday sunday sunday

Some first observations with the new version

Love the new MX sounds

Volume tweaks are good, especially the closure sounds

New bullet cracks are great

MLRS artillery launch is still generally too quiet

Thunder is still missing in the environment effects

The little lamps along runways seem to reflect sounds as if they were walls, it´s a bit weird hearing an echo when you are on a open runway :D

Hi LJ,

As you allowed it, thought it would be good to mix several opinions and feedbacks in the main thread.

So,

I'll stick to your changelog in order to be as accurate as possible, try to be objective, sort commentaries by checking if the sound : works/fixes problem/causes new issues/fits the mod, and finally give some "general feelings" at the end. If some RPTs are found, i'll try to isolate lines where dragonfyre is spotted and report them as an addendum.

As a reminder, all tests were made using cba/dragonfyre only, with stereo headphones and 16 bits, 48000Hz dvd quality in windows settings. As a framework, i used all arma 3 original showcase missions, some "urban conquest" scenarios and the editor to recreate specific situations.

Here we go:

FIX: Explosions are hearable in MP now : not tested (only SP tests)

FIX: Explosions dont have explosion sound anymore when being disarmed : i'd say fixed, tested all defusable mines and explosives, no parasite sound.

FIX: Unexploded GP rounds caused explosion sound when disappear : fixed, no new issues, have thrown a bunch of M203/GP rounds with no parasite sounds.

FIX: Envi sounds reworked and cleaned up/FIX: Envi SFX random selection : well fixed, tested forests, shores, cities on several time and weather conditions, no errors encountered, maybe the gusts of wind sometimes stopping in a steepy way, abruptly. fits the mod perfectly, sounds seem to trigger more often, with more diversity, wich makes the environment alive. great choice of samples for a mediterranean soundscape.

FIX: Grenades no longer produce explosion sound on water surface : i'd say fixed, the sound seems to be located on the grenade, not on water surface. fits the mod, even if underwater and "terrestrial" explosions sound the same. maybe a "muffled" underwater sound should do the trick if possible.

FIX: Most crispy/overdone explosions distant sounds/ADD: Added new explosions in CFG/TWEAK: Overall explosions volumes reduced/ADD: New sounds when Rockets/Missiles hit a vehicles/TWEAK: CFG distance values for exploding vehicles/TWEAK: Fuel explosions distance/ADD: New Explosion sounds for Shells and distances : well done, distant explosions seem more punchy with more diversity. Have toasted loads of vehicles/armoured from a distance, made aircrafts crashing, no errors or weird sounds encountered, distance effect is well-rendered, a good step forward compared to rc4.

ADD: ReadMe File : could be usefull^^

ADD: Added environmental SFX/ADD: Added wind noises to trees/TWEAK: Increased wind loudness on heavy overcast/TWEAK: Tweaked environmental volumes : nice additions,work well and except the wind stopping abruptly sometimes (which could appear as natural for gusts of wind), haven't encountered errors or strange sounds on these. the environmental volumes are good, on heavy overcast rain and new wind effects are louder than birds and crickets, sound fair.

ADD: Added small incoming sounds to bullethits/ADD: Added "Boiiing" effects to bullethits/ADD: Bullets hitting foliage and leaves are mostly whizz or hizz sounds/CHANGE: New Whizz/Hizz sounds/CHANGE: Bullethits got further updates/TWEAK: Wizz sounds for 9mm : work perfectly, volume level is very satisfying considering ricochets are "secondary impacts" with less ballistic velocity, these add a good variety to simulate volatility of bullethits. no strange sounds/errors encountered.

ADD: New close snaps added/ADD: Added subsonic snaps and cracks for 9mm/ TWEAK: Overall soniccracks volume tweaks/CHANGE: Close snaps are sound more frightening/TWEAK: Tweaked all config values for better ingame volume management : HERE IS WHAT I CONSIDER, TRYING TO STAY OBJECTIVE, AS THE MAJOR FEEDBACK/ISSUE AFTER THE VARIOUS TESTS : the new snaps and cracks, the closest ones in particular, work very well. the sound sample itself is terrific. a slap to the ears as the bullet washes near your head, it's perfect. distant cracks are less audible, wich makes them more coherent. BUT, i'm pretty sure many testers will report this, unless you have a new "optional reduced volume snaps and cracks file" ready for final release, be prepared to hear again that they are waaaayyy too loud. As i fortunately have never been shot at to make a real life comparison, i'll try to develop some constructive arguments, only considering the general volume of other sounds, and the playability of the game : in small scenarios, like infantry showcase, the volume of the snaps and cracks is bearable, because very episodic, with very few projectiles flying towards you. you can always hear your gunshots and the ones from your mate who is 25 meters far from you. but as soon as there are more than a few soldiers involved, for example 5th and 10th showcases "combined assault" and "interarms operation", or "urban conquest" SP scenarios, with 20-30 soldiers, and 6-8 vehicles, so to say, common situations in SP and MP, your ears are starting to bleed and you nearly only hear close snaps and cracks, bypassing almost all the other effects, including the loudest ones. (in-game effects volume=100, windows general volume=15). this is what i feel...now, how do they fit to the mod and general gameplay? as i'm considering snaps and cracks in the game, they are "minor effects", just acting as a reminder to say "hey, get some cover fast", the main and major effects staying, as always, gunshots, cannon sounds, explosions. with the actual volume of snaps, this hierarchy, and the sense of gameplay, is totally unbalanced to me. think of it in these terms : without snaps, you can always play, you hear the gunshots. is the opposite true?...if you had to choose beetween those two, which one would you keep regarding gameplay?...that's only my humble opinion, that i hope constructive (you would say just put the damn snaps and cracks pbo in the bin and it's done, and you would be right). Take the time to see what the other testers say about that...but i think you should really consider a solid 60% volume reduction of all snaps and cracks effects.

ADD: New weaponsounds/ADD: New sounds for M134/ADD: New Explosion sounds for Arty and distances//TWEAK: Overall weapon volume tweaks/CHANGE: Tweaked most weapons with new sounds : work like a charm, no errors registered, the samples are really good and the differences beetween 1st/3rd person gunshots are well rendered. the sounds of the "mobile parts" of the weapons fit very well with the gunshot and adds to the realism. a success.

ADD: Ammo explosions while tanks are burning : this "ammo cookoff" effect fits very well with the original explosions. nothing to say except they are great.

ADD: New Closure sounds for first person view/TWEAK: Reduced closure effect volumes : work well

ADD: New sounds when Shell AP rounds hit a vehicle/ADD: New sounds when Shell HE rounds hit a vehicle/ADD: New sounds when 20-40mm AP rounds hit a vehicles/ADD: New sounds when 20-40mm HE rounds hit a vehicles/ ADD: New sounds when inside a vehicles and getting hit by above mentioned ammunitions/ ADD: New sounds when a round penetrates the vehicles hull causing overpressure/ADD: Four stages of overpressure depending on ammunition penetrating : work good, no errors encountered, good feeling about the type of shell hitting the vehicle/armored, especially the piercing ammunitions, maybe pushing a bit the volume of "non lethal" ammunitions to emphasize on the "shielding" of the vehicule. just noticed that the "lethal" shot taken while in 1st person view (onboard) does not trigger the catastrophic explosion sound. maybe this is intentional? barely noticed the different stages of overpressure (maybe died too fast^^)

TWEAK: Overall vehicle volume tweaks : those volumes feel really good regarding gameplay : you hear vehicles coming/firing from a fair distance, as for choppers (love the sounds of those roaring beasts), same for aircrafts. we spoke about those last ones in the main thread, as i think you already know, i discovered that the sound entry handling the fly-by/jet wash effect is "enginelowout", saw it with the link i posted page 55 (confirmed by testing speed of sound and seeing this entry). . have you made some workarounds with those sounds? but that's a personal consideration...your jet engine sounds are great.

TWEAK: AH9 Blackfoot gatling gun volume/CHANGE: Wind noises in Helicopters reduced/CHANGE: Helicopter stress sounds reduced : good tweaks, The blackfoot gun is audible from a fair distance, which is good for gameplay (always good to hear the cavalry coming), and as pilot, you know you unleash hell on enemies (great in 3rd person view). the balance beetween engine, wind sounds and stress sounds induces a good feeling.

TWEAK: Overall Script cleaning and tweaks : Performance! i have to admit that the delay beetween the gunshot and the echo sound sometimes reaches a good second, on cpu intensive situations...think i can only blame my mid/high class PC for that...compared to rc4, though, the mod seems less "power-hungry" with the tweaks...and the fact that i only run cba and dragonfyre as mods. here again, a step forward. a "script-free" version is still planned?

TWEAK: Reduced movement volume/CHANGE: Sounds for Injured/Moaning are back working : perfectly works, and great to hear again the player moaning when harassed or injured. it fits perfectly with the mod and this "awareness" of your movements and status adds to the general sound immersion.

TWEAK: UGL sound distance : effective tweak, grenade launchers now seem to be audible from 75-100m, far less beyond this point, which is quite enough.

RPTs concerning Dfyre found during the tests : only one :

Conflicting addon JSRS2_Distance in 'dfyre_a_scripts\scripts\ammo_jsrs\', previous definition in 'dfyre_a_core\scripts\ammo_jsrs\'

Final words : Except the snaps/cracks which i'm sure you'll take care of, and one or two tweaks here and there, the whole mod greatly deserves its final status. samples and balances are finely tuned, ambient sounds, guns, movements, vehicles, no errors, all in all the mod is a great overhaul compared to vanilla sounds. I can't judge of your work as i'm only a basic arma 3 player enjoying your mod, and sharing some thoughts on it. Anyways, i wish you and all the team the best for the final release, and for your future projects (arma 4 maybe?).

Thank you, keep up the good work :)

EDIT : with rc5 taken as a new version, all that is said stays valid i think, vehicle sounds (those "electric barrels Rolling" sounds on choppers weapons are definitely awesome) and distant big calibers impacts/exposion sounds seem even better, diversified, more clear and easy to spot, which adds to the gameplay value. no new issue to report from what i saw.

Edited by Megiddo

Thanks for the change list LJ, looks very promising indeed ;)

One small request though - could the Enhanced Soundscape features please be moved to a separate PBO so that it can be easily disabled? Or perhaps an in-game option to turn it off? I know a lot of people like this feature, but I find it a little overpowering/disorientating at times - it's one of the reasons I don't use JSRS.

To use the proper terms - it adds very 'wet' reverb during a firefight, when I prefer sounds to be more 'dry' ;)

Hi LJ,

As you allowed it, thought it would be good to mix several opinions and feedbacks in the main thread.

Here is my humble feedback after several sessions (from dusk, till dawn, till dusk^^).

Hey mate,

I would've answered you via PM today, but as you posted here as well, its fine. Sadly I have to tell you, which I forgot to mention earlier, that you would have to delete all older files and use the new RC5 as a new version, not to update older files. I hope that does not ruined some testing, but that is why the error "Conflicting addon" showed up in your RPT. Just so you know.

I also thinking about the reducing of volumes for cracks, I'll test a decent setup this week end. I will answer your post later a bit more in detail then. Thanks for now!

@ALL OTHER TESTERS: THATS the feedback I require :)

Thanks for the change list LJ, looks very promising indeed ;)

One small request though - could the Enhanced Soundscape features please be moved to a separate PBO so that it can be easily disabled? Or perhaps an in-game option to turn it off? I know a lot of people like this feature, but I find it a little overpowering/disorientating at times - it's one of the reasons I don't use JSRS.

To use the proper terms - it adds very 'wet' reverb during a firefight, when I prefer sounds to be more 'dry' ;)

I dont know if I will do an option for disabling that, but as mentioned earlier I thinking about a JSRS3-Lite version. ;)

LJ

Hey mate,

I would've answered you via PM today, but as you posted here as well, its fine. Sadly I have to tell you, which I forgot to mention earlier, that you would have to delete all older files and use the new RC5 as a new version, not to update older files. I hope that does not ruined some testing, but that is why the error "Conflicting addon" showed up in your RPT. Just so you know.

LJ

suspected that but was not sure...i'll do some more tests using RC5 as a new version and update the feedback if necessary.

I dont know if I will do an option for disabling that, but as mentioned earlier I thinking about a JSRS3-Lite version. ;)

LJ

Thanks alot for your reply, a lite version sounds good. However, the only complication for our community is that we don't allow optional mods - everyone must run exactly the same modset (to keep client crash/issue reports consistent). This means that, for us, we'd have to decide on either JSRS lite, or JSRS full (which I can see creating debates). This is why I think that, if you have the time/energy, I think it would be alot easier if you added the option to enable/disable the enhanced soundscape (or move it to a separate PBO, as I mentioned earlier).

I'm not saying don't make a lite version (as I'm sure alot of people will want that), but to take into account the complications for server admins when people want to run one mod over another simply because of the enhanced soundscape ;)

Some first observations with the new version

Love the new MX sounds

Volume tweaks are good, especially the closure sounds

New bullet cracks are great

MLRS artillery launch is still generally too quiet

Thunder is still missing in the environment effects

The little lamps along runways seem to reflect sounds as if they were walls, it´s a bit weird hearing an echo when you are on a open runway :D

p..p..please make a video of the new mx sounds.....I hope less metallic-only "krrrrssssshhhhh" :p

Where do you live? We have Friday in Sweden :)

:D I have Friday Saturday and Sunday like the rest of the world, but I did catch his post saying that beta testing would be done until Sunday, which I believe LJ said that it would be finally released (RC5) on Sunday. It's a play on "Sunday Sunday Sunday" for car commercials here in the US... so may be misconstrued a little bit :)

p..p..please make a video of the new mx sounds.....I hope less metallic-only "krrrrssssshhhhh" :p

Don´t worry, you will be able to play it soon :) . I didn´t find any problems in SP. MP testing still has to be done though.

Hey mate,

I also thinking about the reducing of volumes for cracks, I'll test a decent setup this week end. I will answer your post later a bit more in detail then. Thanks for now!

@ALL OTHER TESTERS: THATS the feedback I require :)

LJ

All the fixes in the changelog are correct and working on my end as well.

I've done quite a few MP test in a private server and the only issue we've run into so far is not hearing a player shoot his Grenade launcher from the MX. You hear the sound of it leaving the tube as long as you're the one shooting it but otherwise all you see is the projectile fly out and then hear the explosion when it lands. Other than that we haven't experienced anything and our RPT is clean of JSRS errors :D. Still doing further testing tonight as well though.

One other thing is that GBU's still sound like the default bohemia explosion. (GBUs dropped by a UAV) not to sure if this is intentional or not

So what's the word on RC5?

When's it's ready and not before.

Of course, but there were mentions of it being released yesterday, but no updates on why it wasn't and when it might be. ;)