OK that indeed sounds like there is simply too much stuff going on for your CPU to handle. Other Mods such as Alive also have scripts running that take away CPU time. I guess you won´t have any problems in firefights of small and medium size but huge firefights might sound a bit weird to you. There is sadly nothing we can do, the script is as efficient as it can be.

I know LJ might jump down my throat for recommending such heresy, but I'm going to put this forth anyhow.

I'll also disclaim this about not being about "disliked sounds" and more about low end optimization.

I have ZERO performance problems with any of the effects except those generated by what I seem to deduce as some kind of script that "figures" out what objects are nearby and tries to create a sound object to simulate sonic echo in urban areas.

The problem I see with this which, again, here's where the heresy comes in... what if it wasn't broken into two parts? What if it were treated like indoor firing sounds instead?

What if there was a "crappy system version" which basically did a less high-fi rendition of it that behaved similarly to the indoor discharging sounds.

That is

- approximate that you're near an object

- play a single sound that "kinda sorta" gives the general effect that the original more elaborate effect does, but doesn't queue a bunch of positional truncated echoes

Do you kind of get what I mean? Sure it's not like bleeding edge "positionally simulate reverb off of actual surfaces", but it creates the same aural ambience in a pinch. I honestly don't even know if that's possible, but it really does seem like the scripts go bonkers when there are a lot of "surfaces" (ie buildings and walls) that it must take into account that, may well not be necessary for some users.

I say this because I have ZERO performance difficulties with the transition of indoor sound to outdoor, it's just the "pinning on" - of the sonic echo is slightly beyond the capacity for my system to handle on missions that aren't the slightest bit boring.

Either way, this is just a thought as the mod works more or less perfectly except for that one minor aspect.

I'm noticing it's really bad on terrains such as avgani, and it makes me wonder if the script has to take into account all of the buildings surrounding the player and then just gets cluster-fucked.

Edited by Pd3

Anyone tested this along with latest RHS (not home yet so can't test myself)? I wonder how the volume balance between the two is since DragonFyre is quite loud and needed to lower effects volume.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

That sounds like you run ArmA3 in 5.1 but use stereo speakers/headphones. Nothing I can reproduce. You have to set up your Speaker system/5.1 system perfectly. Its not like plug and play with this mod. You need perfect centered speakers.

Example:

LJ

Thank you very much it worked, I thought that was just ARMA :D

Install Razer Surround to get such effects, its even possible with Stereo Headphones and the difference is gigantic.

Wow! For the first time I can now pinpoint individual shooters in complex urban areas in heavy gunfights -thats huge. Before I always just heard shooting all around me but had to literally turn left to right to 'hone in' on the shooter. For some reason tanks, helos etc.. always could locate no problem.

Anyhows, simply audio-gasmic now :)

Like LJ explained, things like environment sounds don't have overhead, so removing them won't make one iota to what happens when you fire your gun.

It's all those lovely sounds that happen when you pull the trigger that are creating CPU overhead.

If your PC is struggling, then you could:

Run smaller missions.

Upgrade your CPU

Use another mod that doesn't have all the distance sounds etc.

You have to be realistic about what your priorities are. There is only so much space in the script scheduler, so do you want to fill it with scripted sounds, or something else?

Yea i wasnt aware not all sounds are script driven. This is lovely then. I wasnt complaining about the performance of the mod, but rather when the PC starts to crap out on frames due to heavy firefights, i notice the lags in some sounds as previously mentioned. Is it a game breaker? No, but just a point i wanted to share. Sounds like the MOD is properly optimized for what it needs and what it does. I'm loving it either way :P

---------- Post added at 15:17 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

BTW what the best part of the MOD i've noticed so far? The freaking bullet hits! This is so freaking cool. Running around in an open field whiling hear the bullets land at my feet. I tried to take a video of it last night but it crashed my game LOL. I'm sure people will notice if they havent already! great job on this piece.

Your reclamations should be aimed at Bohemia, not the modders trying to enhance an existing base.

I get your point, don't get me wrong, and i'm not trying to invalidate your post with this, but utimately aks yourself why do you have shit framerate in the first place ? Because BI, on a technical aspect, is using a fucking deprecated engine. At least with the hardware we got in 2015.

You can't ask a modder to produce a high quality, high fidelity mod, and at the same time composing with the massive flaws of Real Virtuality, it would be a living nightmare to produce anything worth a shit whatsoever.

Your reclamations should be aimed at Bohemia, not the modders trying to enhance an existing base.

I get your point, don't get me wrong, and i'm not trying to invalidate your post with this, but utimately aks yourself why do you have shit framerate in the first place ? Because BI, on a technical aspect, is using a fucking deprecated engine. At least with the hardware we got in 2015.

You can't ask a modder to produce a high quality, high fidelity mod, and at the same time composing with the massive flaws of Real Virtuality, it would be a living nightmare to produce anything worth a shit whatsoever.

Exactly, even with my current specs without mods ArmA 3 runs like sh*t. I wanted to build a new rig for 2015, but half of my friends were like, "John, don't even bother. You'll spend 2 to 3 grand on a tough rig that'll end up whimpering with ArmA 3." I'm starting to agree lately and getting bummed out.

But yeah, we get and understand the frustrations with performance. But as the above mentioned already, we can thank BI for some of our headaches in the performance department.

Is anybody else having problems hearing things in front of them? All of the sounds are perfectly audible when I am left or right of the source, but frontal source is a bit quiet or not audible at all. Best way to experience this is to have helicopter with engine on in front of you and trying to stay in front and then side. Happens with 5.1 and headphones. Thanks a lot for reply and congratulations on release, sounds are amazing!

Definitely a problem with your audio configuration. 5.1 and headphones, generally, aren't compatible and will give you issues.

Performance is awesome for me personally so far. No change at all from what I can tell.

And I wouldn't give up those reflections for ANYTHING, certainly not 10fps (which isn't even the difference).

My god I love this mod. The RHS M4 sounds freakin' great now. Maybe needs a bit of a volume tweak but damn. I hopped on Desert, ran around near/inside the little tower compound, and had way too much fun playing with the new stuff.

One thing I will say is I feel like grenades and placed explosives sound all wrong out in the open. Grenades sound like charges going off, way too big and booming (frag grenades are pretty poppy. Plenty of reverb but punchier and faster), in fact I think that sound effect would be good for the det charge. And the placed explosives all sound muffled and distant, even fairly close by.

Honestly these sound wonky enough that I wonder if there's some code issues with explosives in general. Other than that, indoor explosions and GL explosions all sound fantastic.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

Well said.

Exactly, even with my current specs without mods ArmA 3 runs like sh*t. I wanted to build a new rig for 2015, but half of my friends were like, "John, don't even bother. You'll spend 2 to 3 grand on a tough rig that'll end up whimpering with ArmA 3." I'm starting to agree lately and getting bummed out.

But yeah, we get and understand the frustrations with performance. But as the above mentioned already, we can thank BI for some of our headaches in the performance department.

Nah, i get it guys, and i wasn't aiming my comments about this in particular. I was only suggesting that because of the reality, we sometimes have to work with what we got. If certain sounds can be created without scripts (which was already confirmed) to lessen the impact, that was my point.

I did notice something but its hard to test but wanted to report. Obviously i had other mods running which i'm not sure if its the problem, but when throwing grenades in a environment and with people around me, it sounds like it drops it at my feet. Or maybe its when the AI throwing something causes this? I've noticed it many times but cannot reproduce the issue. I tried running it vanilla but then again with no AI MODS the AI never (or hardly) throw frags....so if someone can test this i would appreciate it.

Again the problem is when a frag is being thrown, it sounds like it lands at my feet which makes me think someone threw a frag at me instead.

Install Razer Surround to get such effects, its even possible with Stereo Headphones and the difference is gigantic.

So does that really work? I might have to check that out.

Definitely a problem with your audio configuration. 5.1 and headphones, generally, aren't compatible and will give you issues.

Performance is awesome for me personally so far. No change at all from what I can tell.

And I wouldn't give up those reflections for ANYTHING, certainly not 10fps (which isn't even the difference).

My god I love this mod. The RHS M4 sounds freakin' great now. Maybe needs a bit of a volume tweak but damn. I hopped on Desert, ran around near/inside the little tower compound, and had way too much fun playing with the new stuff.

One thing I will say is I feel like grenades and placed explosives sound all wrong out in the open. Grenades sound like charges going off, way too big and booming (frag grenades are pretty poppy. Plenty of reverb but punchier and faster), in fact I think that sound effect would be good for the det charge. And the placed explosives all sound muffled and distant, even fairly close by.

Honestly these sound wonky enough that I wonder if there's some code issues with explosives in general. Other than that, indoor explosions and GL explosions all sound fantastic.

I was expecting some problems with the explosions as stated before. We cannot really get a clear working goal here, maybe later but currently its hard to get to. Some explosions dont work right and the script does not detect them, or better said, it does not detect the projectile that is not "alive" anymore in which case the script should trigger a sound. Yeah, everytime we "invent" something it goes like:

http://i.imgur.com/zCXA9bE.gif

Nah, i get it guys, and i wasn't aiming my comments about this in particular. I was only suggesting that because of the reality, we sometimes have to work with what we got. If certain sounds can be created without scripts (which was already confirmed) to lessen the impact, that was my point.

I did notice something but its hard to test but wanted to report. Obviously i had other mods running which i'm not sure if its the problem, but when throwing grenades in a environment and with people around me, it sounds like it drops it at my feet. Or maybe its when the AI throwing something causes this? I've noticed it many times but cannot reproduce the issue. I tried running it vanilla but then again with no AI MODS the AI never (or hardly) throw frags....so if someone can test this i would appreciate it.

Again the problem is when a frag is being thrown, it sounds like it lands at my feet which makes me think someone threw a frag at me instead.

I had the exact same issue. Just me on stratis, no one else with me, alone with a weapon cage I was testing through stuff and throwing grenades cause that I've heard the distinctive "Grenade lands in front of your face and it ready to fuck up your day" sound. Weird it is, but I dont see any reason that this should be caused by JSRS. As I dont even address the "throwing" or "landing" sounds of grenades.

LJ

Good work on this one, definitely exceeds the previous versions.

Set up a firefight on panthera with opfor attacking the northern airport going over the hills from south,

placed myself behind them trying to sneak up,

the soundscape was fantastic, could exactly tell which weapon was just being fired.

Extremely distinctive sounds.

Cracks are incredibly good, very directional and I'm not running into any loudness balance issues on my 5.1 setup (speakers).

The only thing that's a bit odd at first are the echo sounds and the distance until you can hear vehicles/choppers are a bit too short for my taste.

Also the GBU is not audible when impacting at around 700m, at 300m it sounds like it's impacting at least 1500m away.

Performance impact not noticeable on an i7 4770k.

Other than that 2015 is going to be a great year, first blastcore, then iceBreakrs islands and now dragonFyre.

Cheers

im getting huge FPS drops during firefight with JSRS3: DF RC4 installed also i can't hear my rifle in an open firefight is this normal? i hope LJ fix it asap

i hope LJ fix it asap

It took you a few moments to make this post, why not add valuable information like:

What other mods are you running?

What kind of speaker setup do you use?

What are the specs of your PC?

Isn't really that hard to take 1 minute to add it, is it?

Haven't had a chance to try it yet since I'm away for a few weeks, but from the crappy audio on my iphone 5 (lol :D) it sounds like it would sound wonderful to use the jsrs2 sounds for weapons, but only in first person. All of the 2.0 sounds were just spectacular in full auto. Thanks LJ for your hard work and dedication, you're so awesome!

It took you a few moments to make this post, why not add valuable information like:

Not grumpy enough /disappointed/

Thank you to the rest of the team as well!

I love your username but I hate to think what you do in your spare time! ;) :D

i run no mods only JSRS3:DF RC4

my spec is i7 , 8gb rams , gtx680 and i use headphones ( beat )

Are you running CBA as well? (You said no others so I wanted to check).

Are you running CBA as well? (You said no others so I wanted to check).

sure then how i use JSRS without CBA

No way for us to know what is going on on your PC :p

If you have an issue and you think something might be wrong it is best to make a short video. We will take a look at it and tell you if it is working as intended or a bug.

im getting huge FPS drops during firefight with JSRS3: DF RC4 installed also i can't hear my rifle in an open firefight is this normal? i hope LJ fix it asap

[...]

No that is certainly not normal and since you are the only one with this issue we have to suspect that something is wrong on your end.

Please make sure that JSRS is installed correctly. Make sure that you have CBA installed (that might be your problem).

EDIT:

No you can´t use JSRS without CBA

your modline should look like this

-mod=@CBA_A3;@DragonFyre;

sure then how i use JSRS without CBA

I don't know. That's why I asked. Maybe you should have said "only CBA as well" instead of "i run no mods only JSRS3".

No way for us to know what is going on on your PC :p

If you have an issue and you think something might be wrong it is best to make a short video. We will take a look at it and tell you if it is working as intended or a bug.

No that is certainly not normal and since you are the only one with this issue we have to suspect that something is wrong on your end.

Please make sure that JSRS is installed correctly. Make sure that you have CBA installed (that might be your problem).

EDIT:

No you can´t use JSRS without CBA

your modline should look like this

-mod=@CBA_A3;@DragonFyre;

thanks for the reply , CBA is installed along side JSRS3 these are the only mods i use in arma 3 at this time but i don't know why i get low FPS drop , i will try with my brother's PC when i back home ...

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

I don't know. That's why I asked. Maybe you should have said "only CBA as well" instead of "i run no mods only JSRS3".

you're not grumpy as you think you are, save your self bro