kgino1045

Can people shoot rifle through the optic like acog with helmet mount night vision?

As title said i was wonder can people shoot with HMNV in rilfe optic.

If can i would like to see some demonstration video or picture.

Its a good Question, I would like to know the answer to this as well.

If you can't I am about to re-mod all the weapon scopes used on our server :)

Im not understanding what your saying. You mean IRL? Thats why we have IR lasers. But rifle mounts are available for many NODs, allowing full use with almost any kind of scope

Im not understanding what your saying. You mean IRL? Thats why we have IR lasers. But rifle mounts are available for many NODs, allowing full use with almost any kind of scope

Let me show you some example

you have DDm4 which has rail system

you mount ACOG to you're rifle

now you wear head gear such as mich or ECH

you mount Night vision goggle to your head gear

you flip down your night vision to your eye sight so you are seeing world with your night vision

now you are trying to aim down your sight through ACOG

Can you properly do this?

All depends on the attachment config setup, as i think most disable it.

The answer what i want is, is it possible in real life

With TA31 Acog nope - the illumination glows the NV screen so without proper NV adapter/device , you cant really use the helmet mounted night vision with Acog

Here you have the TA31F with a helmet mounted PVS-14 used in combat

on other hand maybe with modern scopes like Elcan SpecterOS or SpecterDR it should be possible since you can turn off the illumination but not sure how the picture will be tho

Edited by RobertHammer

With TA31 Acog nope - the illumination glows the NV screen so without proper NV adapter/device , you cant really use the helmet mounted night vision with Acog

Here you have the TA31F with a helmet mounted PVS-14 used in combat

on other hand maybe with modern scopes like Elcan SpecterOS or SpecterDR it should be possible since you can turn off the illumination but not sure how the picture will be tho

Didn't notice those glowing is problem.

But the thing I was wonder that is it actually can see through the NV goggle,

The reason i was thinking like this because people wear the NV goggle and probably hard to adjust space between optic sight and the eye sight. it's like wearing glasses and try to take picture through the viewfinder

I think it also depends on the NVs. i got some old school NV's at home like used in ArmA 2 and i can confirm that you cant used a scoped rifle like with an acog or shortdot wit it its just to inconvenient the way you have to hold the rifle i thin its even hard to use a aimpoint/holosight. i guess the only way to aim with hose NV's is with the laser. but the NV's from arma 3 might be diffrent because they are so small but because i havn't seen them in rl i can't say anything about them

You theoretically can, but it's a pain in the arse lining up the scope with the HMNVS. Its just easier using a laser, or what I usually do is have the HMNVS on my left eye, using the laser to aim when its really dark and the sight when there is enough light.

Think about trying to take a picture through the scope with a camera - possible by all means, but can be difficult to achieve.

You need to put the objective into the cone of light coming from the scope, and hold it there. Do keep in mind that normally our head tilt and turn a bit when aiming through a scope, so if we have a night vision goggle on, our posture will have to change to a more unnatural position.

But slightly more problematic is whether you can see the reticle on the scope clearly. As you can see in earlier post, ACOG's illumination is too bright, and the finer lines are a bit hard to see. On some of the more recent scopes I have seen have night vision illumination setting on them, and they do not saturate the night vision. It also help with the visibility of the lines.

You theoretically can, but it's a pain in the arse lining up the scope with the HMNVS. Its just easier using a laser, or what I usually do is have the HMNVS on my left eye, using the laser to aim when its really dark and the sight when there is enough light.

I used to think that night vision monoculars are useless, I mean, why would you want it on just one eye when you can have it on both? Well, it's not until after getting my hands on a night vision that I found that it's easier to have a monocle on the left eye (right handed person), and probably setup a gun mounted NV if you want to do so.

The older US AN/PVS-7 goggle has only one objective right at the centre between your eyes, and separated into to eyepieces. In this setup there is no possible way at all to use with scope, short of resting the stock on the sternum that is... I guess this is the main reason why the US has quite a selection of those IR laser aiming device.

세ìƒì— ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹

Thanks bro that is one hell lot of BIG information to me LOL

But as you know that is just 1x holo sight, i want to know that people can use duble triple magnified scope like acog.

by the way, like the video, if he just lean his NVG to gun with both eye open, this can be work, but as martin_lee said, it matter of with certain degree since most of holosight need certain angle (not usally to ACOG or magnified scope since they have cross line)

Nope. Helmet mounted NVG monoculars or goggles makes it almost impossible to make fast, accurate shots through any kind of optic, even iron sights.

Hence why we use IR lasers

Yes I've tried just to see if it would work. Takes way too long to get sight alignment, then you'd have to adjust your NVGs to be able to see anything. Not to mention the awkwardly uncomfortsble stance your in.

Also, it is better to use NV monocular on your non-shooting eye.

If you are right handed, you should have your monocular on your left eye. If you suddenly find yourself in a well lit area where night vision is too much, then at least your right eye can properly aim in without wasting time to raise your NV and have your eyes adjust.

Edited by dangerdan87@gmail.com

Hello guys, interesting subject.

I' m gonna use this thread as an occasion to invite you to take a look at this issue of mine, that is somewhat related:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21630

While the core of the issue posted above isn' t about looking through optics, magnifying or not with helmet mounted/ face mounted NVGs, i do mention the subject in this issue and reading this topic reminded me of one thing:

What would you guys think of the idea of making so that it takes longer for the sights to be aligned when pressing right click when wearing NVGs compared to when not wearing NVGs?

To make it clear, right now you are in "weapon shouldered, not looking through the sights" state, without NVGs, you press right click and it takes X amount of time for your view to switch to the "weapon shouldered, looking trough the sights, sights aligned" state. If you do the same thing with nvgs on your face it will take exactly the same amount of time. What would you think of making it so that it takes for example twice the amount of time to switch from the first state to the second state with NVGs on your face?

I' m not military, and i' ve never used NVGs, but what my friends who are soldiers told me was that, while it is possible to aim with the ironsights or reddot/holographic sights with NVGs on your face, it sucks, and that the laser was there for a reason. This would be an attempt to try to replicate it, so i' m interested in your opinions on the matter, especially from those who actually tried to do so irl so they can tell me if it would be a good way to replicate this ingame or not, but everyone feel free to comment of course.

If enough people think that this is a good idea i' ll open a ticket.

Looks like he is aiming with his left eye using the laser. The NV is clearly not used.

St32yaI.jpg

Looks like he is aiming with his left eye using the laser. The NV is clearly not used.

*snip pic*

ue to the way EOTECHs work, they are both relatively easy to do it with and specifically designed for it having an NV mode that cuts the brightness down so it doesn't blind your NV. An EOTECH is specifically designed to have a wide a usable angle as possible so you can engage your target as quickly as possible, whereas ACOGs have a very specific angle you need to align with. Its like trying to look through a pair of binos in your hand, with a pair of binos strapped to your face.

Some Holo sights are NVG compatibles as most red dot sights are. Using nvg is difficult to align with scope or they use scope with nv or a target pointer which is much easier and maybe cheaper.

For a future setting I'd expect compatibility between NVGs and scopes on rifles with an adapter another way is to have a camera on the rifle and inside the helmet to be able to see where the rifle is aiming. Also a weapon which is low recoil allowing to be able to aim around corners and shoot accurately without exposing the rest of the body.

• Like 1

Some Holo sights are NVG compatibles as most red dot sights are. Using nvg is difficult to align with scope or they use scope with nv or a target pointer which is much easier and maybe cheaper.

NV compatible sights such as some Eotechs and Aimpoint are used with a night vision device mounted on the gun behind the sight. That is the correct way to use them.

NV will distort your view a little bit, that is why mounting NV behind the sight is always best.

but you can't always to that, such as scopes, which have an eye relief, making mounting a NV device behind it unsuitable, plus you would loose a lot of light and probably wouldn't be able to see anything.

I can say people can't shoot through NV since the Alignment. thank you every one, this was the one huge information for our further community arma 3 play :)

In real life, no, the average ACOG (TA31 series) is not night-vision compatible, in fact, only the TA01NSN is night vision compatible. However, a good majority of military optics out there are indeed night vision compatible, such as the Aimpoint Micro T-1/T-2, M68 CCOs (Comp M2, M3, M4, M4s, and PRO,) and many others.

In real life, no, the average ACOG (TA31 series) is not night-vision compatible, in fact, only the TA01NSN is night vision compatible. However, a good majority of military optics out there are indeed night vision compatible, such as the Aimpoint Micro T-1/T-2, M68 CCOs (Comp M2, M3, M4, M4s, and PRO,) and many others.

No, no, no.......

The TA31 and the TA01 are exactly the same. The only difference is that the TA31 has a fiber optic to illuminate the reticle during the day. The both have Tritium to illuminate the reticle at night. There is no difference in night vision capability. With any magnified optic, it's best to use night vision in front of the optic.

irl,u use ir laser off ur peq15 and basically point and shoot cuz it is not possible to have nods on ur eyes and still engage the target effectively.

Special night vision devices can make the majority of optis nv capable, but, you only have night vision looking through your scope and lose much of your situational awareness

Example: SOCOM SpectreDR w/ PVS22 UNS

arma3%202015-01-29%2015-58-53-10_zpst4bpezqa.jpg

NightForce scope w/ UNS

NXS2.5-10x42.blend_zpswexwfg5w.png

Edited by WarLord554