Sign in to follow this  
IndeedPete

Re-Texturing NLAW and NV Goggles

Good day!

I'm working on a little re-texturing side-project. I'm basically just making fictional European Altis, desert, woodland and snow units from the BLUFOR faction. Progress is good so far (considering my little skills in this area). Anyway, I feel I have to reskin the NVGs as well as the NLAW to match with the rest of the snow pattern. Take a look at the images below: A white pair of NVGs as well as a brighter / colourless NLAW would fit much better in my opinion.

2015-01-04_00001chumc.jpg 2015-01-04_000026cu3n.jpg 2015-01-04_00003txuqn.jpg

The black weapon attachements and gloves etc. are not that obvious and I think I'll keep them that way (yes, less work). Problem is, both NVGs as well as the NLAW don't have hidden selections set in their configs. I've found what seems to be the NLAW's texture but I'm not sure how to apply it. Just by adding another selection to it? And anyone happen to know where the NVG textures are stored?

As usual, any help and thoughts are appreciated!

I'm politely bumping this question.

The NLAW doesn't seem to have HiddenSelections visible in any configs, so it's probably impossible to retexture.

That's what I'm asking. However, there is a .paa texture file and well, it is textured in the game. If not via hiddenSelections then how are textures defined in Arma 3? Is it directly in the model?

Ah, the Ghillie can't be retextured as well? Darn, wanted to do some snow snipers some day...

That's what I'm asking. However, there is a .paa texture file and well, it is textured in the game. If not via hiddenSelections then how are textures defined in Arma 3? Is it directly in the model?

Hi Pete,

Yes it would be defined in the model if no hidden textures are available. You could hex edit the model to have your texture, but you need to make sure the string length is the same as the original one or it shows up as a dodgy pbo.

That said, BI used to get annoyed at users hex-editing their models, so that's why they came up with the whole HS system.

I would say that it's worth a try making up a ticket to see if they can change the model to HS's. After all, it's what they wanted to do to dissuade the whole hex-editing thing.

EDIT:

Check this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131695-is-there-a-hex-edit-guide

AFAIR, Slatts got permission from BI to edit their models and they gave him the MLODS for some guns (on the agreement he didn't distribute). Not sure if they would do the same for A3 weapons (as they are newer). Check with Slatts and see how he got on.

If you still don't get any luck, you can import from Arma 2 sample models and then you're free to do as you wish :)

EDIT: This is the man for BI contact : http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?193919-Locklear

Edited by Das Attorney

Retexturing the ghillie suits shall be available in the next Dev-Branch build. Feel free to follow this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186081-Sniper-Ghillie-config-cpp, where I assist with the process.

Concering NLAW, I will look on it – it shouldn't be a big deal to make that happen. However, retexturing NVGs is currently not possible, I am sorry. Feel free to submit a feature request on the feedback tracker and link it here; we'll see what could be done about it.

Thanks for your replies, chaps!

Too bad it's not possible yet but I think my units can go to battle with black NVGs for now. Plus there's always the possibility to hide / remove them by script on daytime. Glad to hear the Ghillie suit and NLAW might be getting hidden selections in the future. I won't even try to hex edit something, got enough to do working my way around the configs already. And since it's meant to be published some day editing the models is off the table anyway. But it's nice to know my naive guess about the texture being somewhere in the model was more or less accurate. ;)

Oh, and here's the feature request: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22221

The BLUFOR NVGs are sand colour, INDFOR are green and OPFOR (which my snow guys are using now) are black. I don't think the sand colour fits the white/grey scheme, nor does the green one. Attachements and gloves etc. are black as well so the OPFOR goggles seem to be the most logical choice for now. If it was possible I'd just desaturate the sand goggles, mess a bit with brightness and contrast et voilà - cheap snow NGVs. I did the same with the khaki coloured plate carriers, helmets and non-camo parts of the uniform. ;)

Did I read that right? You cannot re-texture the NVG's ? I managed to do it with no issues. They DO have hidden selections. Our Tac-Ops mod uses 3 types: Frost Green / Silica Sand / Chill Snow.

I am currently at work but the config (from memory) was a sub section of my blufor soldiers config.

Will look into it when I get home.

So this is my config for our Tac-Ops Coveralls (in this case our snow variation) but also contains the NVG's and re-texturing thereof....

enum {
   destructengine = 2,
   destructdefault = 6,
   destructwreck = 7,
   destructtree = 3,
   destructtent = 4,
   stabilizedinaxisx = 1,
   stabilizedinaxesxyz = 4,
   stabilizedinaxisy = 2,
   stabilizedinaxesboth = 3,
   destructno = 0,
   stabilizedinaxesnone = 0,
   destructman = 5,
   destructbuilding = 1
};

class DefaultEventhandlers;

class CfgPatches
{
   class Zeotropes_Coverall_chill_Config
   {
       units[] = {};
       weapons[] = {};
       requiredVersion = 0.1;
       requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Characters_F", "A3_Characters_F_Common"}; 
   };
};

class CfgVehicles 
{
   class B_Soldier_base_F;

class tacops_C_heli_pilot1_F: B_Soldier_base_F 
   {
       author = "Zeotrope";
       _generalMacro = "B_Helipilot_F";
       scope = 2;
       identityTypes[] = {"LanguageENG_F","Head_NATO","G_NATO_pilot"};
       model = "\A3\Characters_F\Common\coveralls.p3d";
       modelSides[] = {3,1};
       uniformClass = "Tacops_Pilot1_chill_Uniform"; // Edit
       displayName = "Tac-Ops Chill Ranger Pilot (Chill base)";
       hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo"};
       hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"tacops_coverall_chill_1\clothes\Data\cover_chill_camo_co.paa"}; 
       cost = 160000;
       camouflage = 2.0;
//attendant = 1;
icon = "iconManLeader";

backpack = "tacpack_chill_mongoose_1_R"; // HOTH PACK - FIELD PACK

items[] = {"FirstAidKit"};

weapons[] = {"tacops_arifle_MXM_aka_F","throw","put","Rangefinder"};
respawnweapons[] = {"tacops_arifle_MXM_aka_F","throw","put","Rangefinder"};

magazines[] = {
		"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","Chemlight_blue","Chemlight_blue",
		"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag_Tracer","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag","Chemlight_blue","Chemlight_blue",
	      };

Respawnmagazines[] = {
	      };

LinkedItems[] = {"ItemGPS","ItemMap","ItemCompass","itemRadio","ItemWatch","Vest_ice_tacops_D","Tacops_chill_helmet_hel1"};

respawnLinkedItems[] = {"ItemGPS","ItemMap","ItemCompass","itemRadio","ItemWatch","Vest_ice_tacops_D","Tacops_chill_helmet_hel1"};

};

};

class cfgWeapons // Uniforms, vests and headgear go in here.
{
   class Uniform_Base;                // External class reference
   class UniformItem;                 // External class reference
   class ItemInfo;                    // External class reference 

class Tacops_Pilot1_chill_Uniform: Uniform_Base  // Edit
   {
       scope = 2;
       displayName = "Tac-Ops Chill Ranger Pilot (chill base)";
       picture = "\A3\characters_f\data\ui\icon_U_B_coveralls_ca.paa";
       model = "\A3\Characters_F\Common\coveralls";
       class ItemInfo: UniformItem
       {
           uniformModel = "-";
           uniformClass = "tacops_C_heli_pilot1_F";  // Edit
           containerClass = "Supply60";
           mass = 80;
       };
   };

class NVGoggles;    // External class reference
   class Tacops_CH_NVGoggles: NVGoggles
   {	
scope = 2;
       modelOptics = "";  // Use this to remove the restrictive oval
       model = "\A3\Weapons_f\binocular\nvg_proxy";
displayName = "Tac-Ops NVG Goggles (chill camo)";
       hiddenSelections[] = {"camo"};
       hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"tacops_coverall_chill_1\clothes\Data\nvg_chill_co.paa"}; 
       class ItemInfo: ItemInfo
       {
           uniformModel = "A3\weapons_f\binocular\nvg_proxy.p3d";
           modelOff = "A3\weapons_f\binocular\NVG_proxy_off.p3d";
           hiddenSelections[] = {"camo"};
       };
   };

};

So. Works for me.

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll try that!

Oh wow! Man! So glad to see you're doing re-texturing now, too! Looking forward to this! More screenshots please! :D

Thanks, these are a little side project. Mostly as feasibility study and to learn more about configs. I'm doing European units and special forces with Altis, Desert, Woodland and Snow camo schemes. Done so far are common air units, Altis/Desert/Wood units and vehicles. Obivously working on the snow ones, they require the most attention because I need to re-texture equipment and stuff as well (plus spending hours copypasting darn weapon configs). I'll make a separate thread in the addon discussion shortly, need to take some nicer screens. :D

Oh, and I plan to mess around with the faces as well. Provided it's possible and I find a skilled artist I could imagine a few scars or camo faces are a cool feature.

Retexturing the ghillie suits shall be available in the next Dev-Branch build. Feel free to follow this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186081-Sniper-Ghillie-config-cpp, where I assist with the process.

Concering NLAW, I will look on it – it shouldn't be a big deal to make that happen. However, retexturing NVGs is currently not possible, I am sorry. Feel free to submit a feature request on the feedback tracker and link it here; we'll see what could be done about it.

If you're looking at the NLAW, maybe we could see the RPG as well?

puss_in_boots_big_eyes_antonio_band.jpg

Good news: Got the NVGs working with Zeotrope's code! So, the ticket may be closed. I'm satisfied with the results:

2015-01-06_00003d9u6o.jpg 2015-01-06_000046kuf6.jpg

Bad news: Trying the approach on the NLAW didn't work, the texture doesn't change. So there's still need for a solution.

@TheEvanCat: I don't think the RPG will be any different. But I've planned to engage these sometime anyway. A snow textured BLUFOR faction needs a matching OPFOR faction, right?^^ And I also have some ideas for snow insurgents, concept is not fully developed though.

Maybe I'll make a CSAT snow swatch. xD

I've wanted to for a while.

Nice, glad the NVGs work. Probably a side-effect of one of the changes from past months; a side-effect I was unaware of, therefore my previous comment. Concerning the NLAW and RPG, it will be a pleasure to assist you. However, I would like to ask you for a little patience, since my schedule is a bit tight at the moment. But I have a note about that in my to-do list. :)

Hm, I suspected that much. I guess a piece of software the size and complexity of Arma 3 contains more than one unknown side-effect. Really glad you're looking into the launchers. Take your time, I'm having enough work on my Arma plate left.^^ Once I have the rough BLUFOR re-texture done I will focus on CSAT or some matching insurgent faction, we'll see.

Feel free to submit a feature request on the feedback tracker and link it here; we'll see what could be done about it.

Sorry for hijacking. If this is an open offer, I have created a ticket here with some items missing hiddenSelections: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22239

Thank you.

Nice, glad the NVGs work. Probably a side-effect of one of the changes from past months; a side-effect I was unaware of, therefore my previous comment. Concerning the NLAW and RPG, it will be a pleasure to assist you. However, I would like to ask you for a little patience, since my schedule is a bit tight at the moment. But I have a note about that in my to-do list. :)

Lock "Tha Real MVP" Lear

Just noticing, has anyone tried to re-texture the Guerilla Uniform / "U_BG_leader" (it's the FIA squadleader's uniform with pants, an AAF jacket and a white scarf)? It has hidden selections set in its config, yet a quick test with setObjectTexture resulted in no change at all. Any intel on this one?

A quick look revealed that the character classes which uses this uniform have "camo" and "insignia" selections defined, while the model (ig_leader.p3d) uses "camo1" (the whole uniform) and "camo2" (the scarf) selections. So you shall change the textures in config, where you'll define "camo1" and "camo2" selections and their respective textures.