sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

yeah if you can code reasonably well you should build your missions using notepad++ and not the editor.

then you create in the init a set of arrays that have the classnames in it for the units you will spawn during the mission

example:

EGG_EVO_east1 = ["uns_men_VC_local_MED","uns_men_VC_local_off","uns_men_VC_local_nco","uns_men_VC_local_RF1","uns_men_VC_local_RF2","uns_men_VC_local_RF3","uns_men_VC_local_RF4","uns_men_VC_local_RF5","uns_men_VC_local_AS1","uns_men_VC_local_AS2","uns_men_VC_local_AS3","uns_men_VC_local_AS4","uns_men_VC_local_MRK","uns_men_VC_local_LMG","uns_men_VC_local_SAP","uns_men_VC_local_TRI","uns_men_VC_local_MGS","uns_men_VC_local_MTS"];

EGG_EVO_east2 = ["uns_men_VC_regional_MED","uns_men_VC_regional_COM","uns_men_VC_regional_off","uns_men_VC_regional_nco","uns_men_VC_regional_RF1","uns_men_VC_regional_RF2","uns_men_VC_regional_RF3","uns_men_VC_regional_RF4","uns_men_VC_regional_RF5","uns_men_VC_regional_AS1","uns_men_VC_regional_AS2","uns_men_VC_regional_AS3","uns_men_VC_regional_AS4","uns_men_VC_regional_MRK","uns_men_VC_regional_LMG","uns_men_VC_regional_HMG","uns_men_VC_regional_RTO","uns_men_VC_regional_SAP","uns_men_VC_regional_TRI","uns_men_VC_regional_MGS","uns_men_VC_regional_MTS","uns_men_VC_regional_AT","uns_men_VC_regional_AT2","uns_men_VC_regional_Roff","uns_men_VC_regional_Rmed","uns_men_VC_regional_Ra1","uns_men_VC_regional_Ra2","uns_men_VC_regional_Rmrk","uns_men_VC_regional_Rmg"];

EGG_EVO_east3 = ["uns_men_VC_mainforce_MED","uns_men_VC_mainforce_COM","uns_men_VC_mainforce_off","uns_men_VC_mainforce_nco","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RF1","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RF2","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RF3","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RF4","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RF5","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AS1","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AS2","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AS3","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AS4","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AS5","uns_men_VC_mainforce_MRK","uns_men_VC_mainforce_LMG","uns_men_VC_mainforce_HMG","uns_men_VC_mainforce_RTO","uns_men_VC_mainforce_SAP","uns_men_VC_mainforce_TRI","uns_men_VC_mainforce_MGS","uns_men_VC_mainforce_MTS","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AT","uns_men_VC_mainforce_AT2","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Roff","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Rmed","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Ra1","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Ra2","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Rmrk","uns_men_VC_mainforce_Rmg"];

EGG_EVO_east4 = ["uns_men_VC_recon_MED","uns_men_VC_recon_off","uns_men_VC_recon_nco","uns_men_VC_recon_RF1","uns_men_VC_recon_RF2","uns_men_VC_recon_RF3","uns_men_VC_recon_RF4","uns_men_VC_recon_RF5","uns_men_VC_recon_AS1","uns_men_VC_recon_AS2","uns_men_VC_recon_AS3","uns_men_VC_recon_AS4","uns_men_VC_recon_MRK","uns_men_VC_recon_LMG","uns_men_VC_recon_HMG","uns_men_VC_recon_RTO","uns_men_VC_recon_SAP","uns_men_VC_recon_TRI","uns_men_VC_recon_MGS","uns_men_VC_recon_MTS","uns_men_VC_recon_AT"];

EGG_EVO_east5 = ["uns_men_NVA_65_MED","uns_men_NVA_65_COM","uns_men_NVA_65_off","uns_men_NVA_65_nco","uns_men_NVA_65_RF1","uns_men_NVA_65_RF2","uns_men_NVA_65_RF3","uns_men_NVA_65_AS1","uns_men_NVA_65_AS2","uns_men_NVA_65_AS3","uns_men_NVA_65_AS4","uns_men_NVA_65_AS5","uns_men_NVA_65_AS6","uns_men_NVA_65_AS7","uns_men_NVA_65_MRK","uns_men_NVA_65_LMG","uns_men_NVA_65_HMG","uns_men_NVA_65_RTO","uns_men_NVA_65_SAP","uns_men_NVA_65_TRI","uns_men_NVA_65_MGS","uns_men_NVA_65_MGAAS","uns_men_NVA_65_SLT","uns_men_NVA_65_MTS","uns_men_NVA_65_AT","uns_men_NVA_65_AT2","uns_men_NVA_65_AA"];
	EGG_EVO_eastveh3 = ["uns_nvatruck","uns_nvatruck_open","uns_nvatruck_camo","uns_Type55","uns_BTR152_DSHK"]; // transport
	EGG_EVO_eastveh4 = ["uns_Type55_MG","uns_Type55_twinMG","uns_Type55_patrol","uns_Type55_LMG","uns_BTR152_DSHK"]; // armoured
	EGG_EVO_eastveh5 = ["uns_Type55_RR57","uns_Type55_RR73","uns_Type55_M40","uns_Type55_mortar","uns_Type55_ZU","uns_BTR152_ZPU"];//tanks - "O_MBT_02_arty_F"
	EGG_EVO_eastveh6 = [
	"B_Mortar_01_F","uns_spiderhole_VC","uns_spiderhole_leanto_VC",
	"uns_sniper_tree1","uns_sniper_tree2","uns_sniper_tree1a","uns_sniper_tree3","uns_sniper_tree_vclocal","uns_sniper_tree_vcreg","uns_sniper_tree_vcmf","uns_sniper_tree_nva65","uns_sniper_tree_nvarc","uns_sniper_tree_nva68","uns_sniper_tree_dc",
	"uns_dshk_high_NVA","uns_dshk_high_VC","uns_dshk_low_NVA","uns_dshk_low_VC",
	"uns_dshk_armoured_NVA","uns_dshk_armoured_VC","uns_dshk_wheeled_NVA","uns_dshk_wheeled_VC",
	"uns_dshk_twin_NVA","uns_dshk_twin_VC",
	"uns_dshk_bunker_open_NVA","uns_dshk_bunker_open_VC","uns_dshk_bunker_closed_NVA","uns_dshk_bunker_closed_VC",
	"uns_dshk_twin_bunker_open_NVA","uns_dshk_twin_bunker_open_VC","uns_dshk_twin_bunker_closed_NVA","uns_dshk_twin_bunker_closed_VC",
	"uns_pk_low_NVA","uns_pk_low_VC","uns_pk_high_NVA","uns_pk_high_VC",
	"uns_pk_bunker_low_NVA","uns_pk_bunker_low_VC","uns_pk_bunker_open_NVA","uns_pk_bunker_open_VC","uns_pk_bunker_closed_NVA","uns_pk_bunker_closed_VC","uns_pk_tower_NVA","uns_pk_tower_VC",
	"uns_mg42_low_NVA","uns_mg42_low_VC"
	];//statics
	EGG_EVO_eastveh7 = ["UNS_Zodiac_VC","UNS_Zodiac_NVA"];
	EGG_EVO_eastveh8 = ["UNS_PATROL_BOAT_NVA","UNS_PATROL_BOAT_VC","UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_NVA","UNS_ASSAULT_BOAT_VC"];
	EGG_EVO_eastveh10 = ["uns_Type55_ZU","uns_BTR152_ZPU"];//AA

then spawn them using the arrays as source.

the only units you should need to manually edit are the playable ones in the mission.sqm

however, if you build your missions using the editor, and have loads of groups placed etc, then you're pretty much boned.

you would need to open your mission.sqm and do a search and replace for every class. or as you say, replace them temporarily with default units

ok i have got the mortars and arty cannons in game, just need to tweak anims, fx, mags, and test the arty is accurate.

• Like 1

Very nice version! I can't wait for writing new missions with it.

Thanks Eggbeast.  I would use more script oriented mission building, but it's nice to use a 3d editor to manipulate/place objects and units more precisely, and the built-in arsenal is a nice touch.

I used to go through a wild dance to get a somewhat 3d editor to work before Eden/Zeus.  (Although the only thing I still miss from Arma 2's 1/2 built 3d editor is converting a "mission" to .sqf form.)

no mate. i have my settings on ultra and 150% resolution, and it looks great.  viewdistance land is 1000, sometimes 800, and air is 5000. my missions dynamically changes viewdistance depending on if you're in an aircraft or not.  but with vd <1000 you can expect to have fun firefights in the jungle. a lot of the test guys are getting 40-50fps at times, and 30fps at others. i get a steady 20-25fps, better than i did in a2 (typically 14-16).  but i played a2 for 6 years withthat and it was fine. smooth like playing cod1 (at 220fps). so long as it doesnt stutter, im happy.

here we are using charlie's nasty surprises against him...

spider1_zps5gzvtqaz.jpg

is this guy on lying ?  how is that possible, that he is sinking into the ground ?

is this guy on lying ?  how is that possible, that he is sinking into the ground ?

No, he is standing.  Its pure magic :)

I made about a half-dozen different "foxhole" static weapons.  The new Fire From Vehicle logic makes it even better, now they can use their own weapons instead of "the" weapon that was in the static "foxhole" to begin with.  So in theory you could have a moment like in Platoon... "bunker"... "where?"... OMG... ;)

In fact what I want to do is make a "bunker" like foxhole that would be placed near a hill or an embankment, so that it looks like you are approaching a steep rise in a hill but it is actually a bunker.

• Like 1

how is that possible

we frequently achieve the impossible in this team lol - in arma 2 we were doing all this and more:

napalm - check

clutermines that sense bikes and animals - check

ride-on buffalo - check

melee with knives and rifle butts - check

airburst flak - check

playing rock music from gunships - check

snipers in trees - check

flashlights - check

guys half buried in the ground - check

aggressive hunting sharks - check

dynamic plane rearm - check

SAM site spawners - check

radios that play ambient battle chatter when you carry them - check

radios that play nam era music - check

jerry cans you can siphon fuel into and use to refuel vehicles - check

animated radios for calling support - check

wire, punji and whip traps - check

two-seat bomb-aiming in planes - check

moving independent lights on gunner turrets (e.g. on choppers and tanks) - check

ability to fire lume flares from vehicles - check

tunnel warfare - check

molotovs and napalm grenades - check

anti-tank grenades - check

removable bush camo on tanks and apcs - check

usable spare tyres and fuel cans on vehicles - check

life-rafts that inflate when you are in the water - check

removable working bayonets and suppressors - check

working lume and smoke artillery rounds - check

etc etc

oh i forgot flamethrowers! - check

some of this stuff is normal now in A3.  but we were pioneering a lot of it originally in A2

(of course other developers have worked on some of these things too).

• Like 4

Speaking of bayonets. Will they be attachments or different varients of weapons

they are "siderail attachments" in terms of configging.

ok i have got the mortars and arty cannons in game, just need to tweak anims, fx, mags, and test the arty is accurate.

Hi, I'm interesting in muzzle velocities of your artillery/mortars to implement my enhanced map tools (artillery data on map). Thanks.

the only units you should need to manually edit are the playable ones in the mission.sqm

however, if you build your missions using the editor, and have loads of groups placed etc, then you're pretty much boned.

you would need to open your mission.sqm and do a search and replace for every class. or as you say, replace them temporarily with default units

The only problem is the new 3D editor in Eden changed the mission.sqm so it isn't straight text anymore and no longer editable like it used to be. Unless you know something I don't....which is entirely possible. :).

The only problem is the new 3D editor in Eden changed the mission.sqm so it isn't straight text anymore and no longer editable like it used to be. Unless you know something I don't....which is entirely possible. :).

Not exactly. You can edit your old mission.sqm.oldbackup and even disable the binarize in the 3D editor, attributes menu, general (where you decide friendship between sides). Then you can read any mission.sqm. Some features have been changed (entities), but you can replace a class for a class.

save as/ uncheck binarize...

re the artillery - it's not working properly yet, as i need someone to add heavy geo to it to stop it falling over during testing

but i have cloned the 82mm rounds from the m6 mortar for the M1, M2, M1941 and M30 mortars (60, 81,82,107mm)

and i cloned the sorchor for the M102, D30, M114, D20, M113 and M201 (105, 122, 155, 175 and 203mm)

cloning ammo, mags, weapons and vehicle entries seems the best way to make artillery mods accurate (I borked this in 2.6 by adding real world values to the shells and muzzles! what was i thinking lol)

No, he is standing.  Its pure magic :)

I made about a half-dozen different "foxhole" static weapons.  The new Fire From Vehicle logic makes it even better, now they can use their own weapons instead of "the" weapon that was in the static "foxhole" to begin with.  So in theory you could have a moment like in Platoon... "bunker"... "where?"... OMG... ;)

In fact what I want to do is make a "bunker" like foxhole that would be placed near a hill or an embankment, so that it looks like you are approaching a steep rise in a hill but it is actually a bunker.

ahh I understand that even ^^ , good idea !

save as/ uncheck binarize...

re the artillery - it's not working properly yet, as i need someone to add heavy geo to it to stop it falling over during testing

but i have cloned the 82mm rounds from the m6 mortar for the M1, M2, M1941 and M30 mortars (60, 81,82,107mm)

and i cloned the sorchor for the M102, D30, M114, D20, M113 and M201 (105, 122, 155, 175 and 203mm)

cloning ammo, mags, weapons and vehicle entries seems the best way to make artillery mods accurate (I borked this in 2.6 by adding real world values to the shells and muzzles! what was i thinking lol)

You need a physx Geo lod for them to remain top-up.  I could take a look at that today as I just bought myself a new office chair for the computer desk :)

I observed that I could not alter the min/max range values in the A3 arty configs.  The good old minrange setting adjustment seems to no longer work.  So for example my Pandur mortar carrier is stuck w/ vanilla A3 values.  Interested to know what progress you make on that. 

crash helped me fix the geo lod, but cheers pook. glad you have a new throne from which to purvey your demesne!

well i have finished the arty as best as i can. the yall animate correctly, and fire, BUT the ranging is borked... again lol.

we are back where we were in 2.6

I did clone the standard ammo, mag, and weapon for the 82mm and 155mm from BIS, but something has borked the arty computer ranges somewhere along the line.

i'm wondering if i accidentally used an older bis config to clone from?

if you could look at uns_Arty / uns_Arty_c (vehicles) and uns_Armour_c (weapons, ammo and mags) andsee if you can see where i went wrong i and the whole darn community of folks who may be about to get a mod with borked arty would sure appreciate it ;)

I have moved on from arty today to AAA and SPGs and all the models are now in correct place and repathed/ textured.  I am missing tombstone.paa which i think you added to the M55 quad 50. The model of the tombstone is in the model (uns_AAA\M55 folder) but no tombstone file. I just renamed a copy of a plain green texture for now. but if you could look that out i would be grateful. i know i saw it before, ages ago, with the circles on it.

so tomorrow i will finish the configs and test the SPG and AAA statics, and then we are DONE.

may take a week to finish refinements and pack everything satisfactorily, but we are very close.

we had to shelve the huey im afraid as we are way past due date, and much of our team is away at present.

• Like 1

I just updated copies of the models w/ physx lod's.  Give these a try to see if they no longer flip over.

thanks man.  the flip was fixed at lunchtime - crash gave me his acies version of the mortar and i just copied his geo lod.

edit - ok i added your versions to the test pack cheers

what we are lacking is a working artillery computer. i mean it appears to work, but the shells dont hit the target, as in 2.6, despite meticulous cloning of the stock M6 mortar configs.

same for the artillery guns, which used cloned sorchor self-propelled artillery configs.

that's a time suck. i spent half a day on it today, which is delaying the release, so i had to shelve it in favour of working through the last statics.

Those small spider holes bunkers look amazing. Do those spider holes have open and closed states or a second "seat" position that's hidden underground?

no, but that is a cool idea, we may add it.

@pook - any chance of you waving your pookie wand over these 2?

- added m40 RR needs geo fixing as it hovers in the air no matter what i do (P:\uns_static\m40\uns_M40_gun.p3d)

- added SPG9

- added m18 RR

- added box clutter to m18

- added mk18 GMG needs geo fixing as it falls backwards when fired (P:\uns_static\mk18\uns_Mk18_gun.p3d)

-- added hand movement to mk18 crank (on static and m113 variants)
- added tripod bag and full set of static weapons bags for VC, NVA and US factions

@pook - any chance of you waving your pookie wand over these 2?

I should have not tried to picture that... :) 

Beside my soon to-be insanity, thx for all the progress reports ! Bravo will be so good !! Can't wait to put my hands on it !

• Like 1

AAA guns are now in

- ZPU4

- Zu23

- Type 65/74

- S60

- M55

though something is causing a CTD so am trying to find out what, nothing in any logs, either building the models or in the game rpt...

I just updated copies of those two models w/ physx lod's.