sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

The new screenshots are pure madness . After the Bravo release I would begin to rebuild me created missions from Arma 2 (Unsung 2.6) for Arma 3. The new island "Doung island" would be the best terrian, especially it reflects the RSSZ. I like the little things at all these individual addons to reflect atmosphere and flair of the vietnam conflict.
I´m really curious what else is coming...good job!

• Like 1

CSJ's hueys are the best out there

Have you guys seen the map "NAM" by CPL.Variable.A; it has a HUE section, Hamburger Hill, FOBS, 7th Cav HQ, NVA and VC camps and a US R&R camp, with beach equipment and a drinks shack. Its really well made too. You guys should check it out

bear in mind Doung island will have some bare expanses of wetland on it awaiting razorback's attention for the charlie release.

i have asked him to allow us to release it WIP, as we need an island with a runway for the new aircraft.

we quite like the empty areas as they allow us to test the scopes lol

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the map "NAM" by CPL.Variable.A; it has a HUE section, Hamburger Hill, FOBS, 7th Cav HQ, NVA and VC camps and a US R&R camp, with beach equipment and a drinks shack. Its really well made too. You guys should check it out

yeah we've had a look at it.  it's great that other people are making maps for the vietnam era.  Variable is a talented guy.

and you are right, csj's hueys are awesome - they just needed a texture update for Arma 3.

since we brought out alpha, loads of people who don't know any better have been urging us to adopt other peoples hueys, some even saying "you suck cos you don't got no hueys bruv" kinda stuff lol.

it seems they have just never played unsung before. we also get another common one "why dont you upload on steam? u wd gt millions more users" - our usual reply being (like yoda) "we will get users or we won't, there is no steam." we are just plodding along bringing the magic of all our arma 2 content to arma 3, and looking forward very much to adding in new kit and ideas along the way.  oh and we also get guys rocking up with their very own dog-eared, mountain-dew-stained copy of "1,001 Ideas to add to a Vietnam Mod in Arma" - and they just won't leave us in peace lol.  i mean, we're not averse to new ideas, just not EVERY idea that comes along, and some just happen to arise at the wrong time.

we have a garage full of half-finished projects - like my auto-shark-spawner for hunting downed airmen, or von knudenbergs fully animated radio sets, or his spawnable, searchable tunnel complexes, my wide array if mission-worthy vietnam era items that can be used to populate missions with interesting "objectives", pooks height adjustable radar controlled flak, all kinds of shit.  plus 8-10 arma 2 maps that need porting...we got so much lying about half done.  so it has to be a SPECIAL idea to get us to turn our heads and say "ooh now THAT is getting worked on tomorrow morning"

stuff like these models from kable for example - which we dived head first into: they are such an amazing contribution to the mod, that Razorback has named a key new fire-base after him!

now that is a good example of how to contribute to the mod, rather than offering a pile of suggestions for things we have already considered, then getting pissy when we don't act really grateful lol - some people out there are really painful to have to listen to. i'm not being specific about any one person here, just a general post-beer waffle about some of the incoming we have to dodge EVERY DAY.

anyway here's a quick re-run of the new models - as they are so awesome.  there is also a new willys jeep but i lost my pics of it.

m2_1_zpsmnu5bhu9.jpg

mas1_zpsbrxknku2.jpg

bar8_zpsczbifozd.jpg

ak2_zpsfgnyoxt4.jpg

ppsh1_zpsqhrmpj50.jpg

m1_6_zpsurbbl6d9.jpg

k50_10_zpsxdib7mdm.jpg

more re-skins by shockley - again the O2 skymaster FAC plane by hcpookie

o2_2_zpsxcezb2nx.jpg

• Like 8

Good to see the O2 getting some texture love.  It really needed it!  Looks like good progress being made so that's a plus.  It looks like the re-texture of the huey choppers means the questions about the use of the legacy Huey's will finally will be able to be addressed!  :)

2 questions:

- Did my SAM / AAA units work for the latest version?  They should have... just needed MP testing if memory serves, but that was a month ago. 

- Interesting the M113's had MP issues, I thought those were pretty much written off as complete.

As I just moved I have no time to contribute to this project.  Roadblock helped me unload the moving truck which helped immensely.  Computer desk isn't even assembled at present!  Perhaps later this year or maybe next.  No glorious responses for some time yet :D  I'll likely just be a "typical user" for some time to come.

Oh I meant to ask - can I upload this to steam so my clan can mod this for use for our own private server?  :p

hey welcome back man, glad the move went well, and hope you're getting settled ok there.

we're missing some key models from you, so i'm hoping even if you can't actually mod anything, that we can obtain the files from you during the next month or so.

currently we don't have your latest SA2, shilka, zu23, AAA guns, puazo and SON9 etc as of whenever you last updated them - they aren't on the svn as far as i can tell.

we also don't have your CH54 Tarhe skycrane although I have debinned the blu82 so we have that in the missilebox and it looks perfect.

We've pretty much fixed the m113's - we fixed a lot of missing textures and rvmats (from stuff like the tanks that we haven't included yet), upgraded the weapons memory points, weapon sounds, and edited the scripts a lot to fix them in MP. they seem to work ok.  We've added standard helpful but minimal cargo kit to them, and all tracers and fx are working great.  We also optimised the configs a LOT, and reduced the line count by thousands, which means a lot less stuff to look through when editing - mainly in the turrets/animationsources.  Same goes for the PBRs.

only a couple of things that need fixing on the m113s are the ammo boxes/feed side on the m1919s, the turn in/out view / anims and adding FFV to the roof cargo points, which we're planning to address, and then copying it all to the A1 versions.

we have edited the jeeps, O1, O2, commandos, h13s, sampans, PBRs F105, etc while you've been away so i would strongly advise you to access the SVN for the latest models before you scratch the itch again (if/when that happens) otherwise you'll be working on quite old models.

all the nva patrol boats have turrets that dont animate - im planning to fix these, unless you can locate a more recent model set perhaps? I will also add FFV, clutter and sor tthe guns points / fx out and hopefully shockley will repaint them.

the mod's comin along great man. hop in for a game sometime when you're set.

I'm several weeks away from even contemplating loading up the game.

Script updates, huh, interesting.  That's too bad as I thought all those would have worked in MP.  One day I'll have to look at them to see the tweaks they needed.

All my Unsung AAA/SAM stuff was uploaded to my onedrive, and Tet was looking at a few things.  I can't remember how he found them to work or not.  Tet likely has more information on its performance at this point.  Uploaded here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=5B54FC51A7917265!28589&cid=5B54FC51A7917265

Those are the "latest" all dated 2/28.  Should work?  The only issue I had was the soldier class wasn't updating for some reason (I assume my SVN wasn't updated) and it complained about the soldiers in the crew, so it never loaded for me in the build of the day.  All the vehicles have damage lod's and all the other "little things" so they should simply work.  I loaded all the vehicles up 1x1 in-game for those screenshots, so I know they work in-game.  The question is how does AI perform w/ the AAA stuff, and how does MP work.  It SHOULD work fine since the same SAM/AAA MP code was fixed for my SAM Pack.  So how does the AI use it is really the question of the hour.  The site spawner is the same code that works in MP for the modern SAM's so I'm confident that stuff works in MP.

In fact, I have corrected many (all?) of the previously reported issues, mostly in the SA2 PBO, and those corrections need to be applied to the Modern SAM pack.  If I do anything else with this game this year, these tweaks would likely be it.

yeah the isdedicated check was stopping them from applying the skins.  worked fine on the client but not when you played it in MP.

in MP the doors wouldnt close, and the m113 was see-through and had no clutter.

there were some other fixes needed too:

the alpha layer in some of the netting was showing up white - face ordering

some of the decals were looking for the slick folder, so we've fixed those

no use of setobjecttextureglobal, so tetet added this in

atm it seems to work perfectly.

yeah the isdedicated check was stopping them from applying the skins.  worked fine on the client but not when you played it in MP.

Funny how that worked perfectly in A2.

no use of setobjecttextureglobal, so tetet added this in

I know I added that... odd that it disappeared.

Are you gonna have Heuys with AirCav insignia on them or are they all gonna be stock green?

we have special air cav versions yeah - they play war music and one of them even has an experimental napalm canister slung under the gun wings for clearing LZs.

we have special air cav versions yeah - they play war music and one of them even has an experimental napalm canister slung under the gun wings for clearing LZs.

Aw nice that's awesome man. Will the Heuys have slingloading too? Thinking of recreating that scene from Apocalypse Now where the AirCav pick up the patrol boat.

What do you think about adding more rustling noises when running thru steep vegetation? Should make a constant thrashing sound and encourages more stealthy walks and crawls.

• Like 1

Will we be getting the "Rhino"-version with the Mini-guns of the F-4?

Gun-pod version is planned,right?

all of the above, except the rustling

ok some in-game shots of the repainted skymaster, exploring the new areas of Doung Island...

o2_3_zpsxvjwtnt7.jpg

o2_4_zpsvwlh6n1m.jpg

o2_5_zpsnmumt4l4.jpg

o2_1_zpsnexojgrr.jpg

• Like 3

What do you think about adding more rustling noises when running thru steep vegetation? Should make a constant thrashing sound and encourages more stealthy walks and crawls.

Was thinking about this last week , I had some custom step sounds I made way back in OFP ... I will have to have a look on my external drive to see if they still there. Had some when you walk you can hear the dogtags rattle etc.. But these sound enhancements will be further down the line ;)

BTW New video posted on our youtube page  ;) ... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU4hICEkIDLSKqnB-7DLgtQ

• Like 1

Is there an ETA on the Bravo release. Don't wanna seem like I'm nagging I'm just really excited for it. I'm going away to Tenerife and was wondering whether it will be released when I get back or not.

we're a little busy trying to iron out the kinks - having guests for easter took me out of the picture, pook has semi-retired, and other members are unable to help due to health issues etc.  so we're taking a bit longer than planned, BUT we're working through the bugs with the testing groups, and fixing a lot of stuff up, and retexturing etc so a lot of cool progress is being made.  plus Doung is gradually getting covered with foliage and amazingly realistic villages and jungle environment

we've also added in the hueys to this release candidate, and they are tasking us somewhat

i would say maybe another 4 weeks...

here is the current content list for BRAVO.  CHARLIE will have a lot more stuff in it

PLANES (all need lights doing)

O1 Bird Dog - 50% (unbinned conversion)
O2 Skymaster - 100%
AC47 Spooky - 95% (3x tracers)
A1J Skyraider - 95% (gun sounds,centering)
A3b Skywarrior - 100%
A4C Skyhawk - 100%
A4E Skyhawk - 100%
A6 Intruder - 100%
A7D Corsair - 100%
A7E Corsair - 100%
C1a Trader - 100%
E2 Hawkeye - 90% (radar fn)
F100 Supersabre - 100%
F105D Thunderchief - 100%
F105F Thunderchief - 100%

HELICOPTERS (all need lights doing)

H-13 Sioux - 100%
H-34 Choctaw - 100%
UH1B Iroquois Gunship - 30% (retex / anims/ pilots/ configs)
OH-58 Kiowa - 10% (new model being painted and configged)

VEHICLES (all need lights doing)

Ural - 100%
Willys Jeep - 90% (RR weapon, new model of jeep in pipeline)
M113 - 95% (Turn in/out, FFV)
M113A1 - 10% (add physx, fix configs/fns/ memory points for weapons, Turn in/out, FFV)
Commando APC - 90% (Turn in/out)
Bike / Motorbike - 50% (config, physx, driver)
BTR40 - 50% (physx, proxies, weapons)
BTR152- 50% (physx, proxies, weapons)

BOATS (all need lights doing)

Sampans - 100%
PBR - 80% (lights, M60 turret, wreck, cover variants)
NVA patrol boats - 60% (lights, turrets, FFV, wreck, gun mem points, clutter, skins)
RIB - 100%

WEAPONS

vehicle weapons - 50% (SPG's, mortars, cannons, AA guns)
personal weapons and attachments - 90% (tweak aiming, anims)
scopes - 50% (aim position refinements)
belt-fed MGs - 75% (belt anims)
UGLs - 75% (sight anims and points)
LAW and RPG - 75% (loaded vs unloaded anims, disposable script test)
clustermines - 75% (some dont detonate)
traps - 0% (need to port)

STATICS

about 25 types - 10% (config, mem points, anims, crews etc)
sams and AAA - 50% (config, scripts tests, model tweaks)

MODULES

Radio - 50%
Plane Rearm module - 30% (rewrite code)
Resources module (Bayonets etc) - 30% (rewrite code)
Support - 10% (rewrite)

UNITS

12 different unit types - 100%
civs - 50% (variants)
voices - 50% (need to sort out speech blocking)
DSAI - 100%
vests, headgear, uniforms, accessories - 100%

ISLANDS

Da Krong - 100%
Doung - 60%
Khe Sanh - 30%

we're a little busy trying to iron out the kinks - having guests for easter took me out of the picture, pook has semi-retired, and other members are unable to help due to health issues etc.  so we're taking a bit longer than planned, BUT we're working through the bugs with the testing groups, and fixing a lot of stuff up, and retexturing etc so a lot of cool progress is being made.  plus Doung is gradually getting covered with foliage and amazingly realistic villages and jungle environment

we've also added in the hueys to this release candidate, and they are tasking us somewhat

i would say maybe another 4 weeks...

Really? I thought way longer! Best news I have heard the whole day!

O2 skymaster upgraded:

- Copilot has control of cabin door and can FFV

- added A3 standard lights and nav lights

- added daylight flares that can be dropped to support rescue / assault troops, smoke and grenades can be dropped also

- added exhaust effects

- improved getin animations

- fixed glass white-out on right-hand door

- updated proxies so all weapons can be removed and rearmed dynamically

- created hide anims for pylons on unarmed versions

- added global random skins at init - 15 in all - by shockley

- tidied up config and folder/ removed obsolete models/entries

- 4 armed versions with different and correct weapon loads

- added parachutes to cabin

lights_zpse2lyowfb.jpg

• Like 6

Could we get a Kiowa with a more beefed-up cannon too? I`m not going for realism here....

The F-4 -i`m hoping for a updated proxies so all weapons can be removed and rearmed dynamically-thing here,please.

So many possibilities there,different Mini-guns .

Maybe,old style parachute,non-steerable....?

Have you added the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly,the Mini-gun version Cobra and the OA-10 D version with the gun-turret ,to the list as well?

This will look very neat...if it made the list.Just saying......looks great ,so far.

Will there be some sort of Tablet for CAS,too?  Some mods isn`t working all that great.....