sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

After much consideration I have decided to retire from  the unsung mod.13 years of modding has taken its toll on me. Its made me tired , angry , frustrated , elated , happy and proud not in that order I must add :P . My vision I had way back in 2004 has been fulfilled and everything I wanted to see in the mod has come to fruition.

I have asked Eggbeast to take over and keep her straight and true. We have worked closely together for 5 years, through up's and down's but we were always were on the same page where the mod should go. I know it is in good hands under Egg's leadership and I am confident he will take the team the rest of the way. I am proud to have worked alongside a number of talented and dedicated people over the years and being part of the oldest active mod of the Arma series . We shared a lot of good memories and made lifetime friendships along the way for this I am very grateful.

As this chapter closes a new one opens and I look forward to each subsequent release and wish my team godspeed and success in the future...

To the fans that helped keep the mod alive I personally thank for all the kind words , encouragement and support. Its really great to know that our hard work is appreciated. It helped motivate and push me along even when the mountain seemed too high again thank you all.

So let me say in parting,  a quote that I always ended with on each release....

"Good luck out there .... You gonna need it!!!!"   :smiley-grimmace:

Peace :)

SaV

• Like 31

52 minutes ago, sgt_savage said:

After much consideration I have decided to retire from the unsung mod for the last time.13 years of modding has taken its toll on me. Its made me tired , angry , frustrated , elated , happy and proud not in that order I must add :P . My vision I had way back in 2004 has been fulfilled and everything I wanted to see in the mod has come to fruition.

I have asked Eggbeast to take over and keep her straight and true. We have worked closely together for 5 years, through up's and down's but we were always were on the same page where the mod should go. I know it is in good hands under Egg's leadership and I am confident he will take the team the rest of the way. I am proud to have worked alongside a number of talented and dedicated people over the years. We shared a lot of good memories and made lifetime friendships along the way for this I am very grateful.

As this chapter closes a new one opens and I look forward to each subsequent release and wish my team godspeed and success in the future...

To the fans that helped keep the mod alive I personally thank for all the kind words , encouragement and support. Its really great to know that our hard work is appreciated. It helped motivate and push me along even when the mountain seemed too high again thank you all.

So let me say in parting,  a quote that I always ended with on each release....

"Good luck out there .... You gonna need it!!!!"   :smiley-grimmace:

Peace :)

This did kind of bring tears to my eyes. You will be missed Sav. You will stick around the forums at least right?

• Like 7

thank you for all your hard work ! and best of luck to whatever is next. 

• Like 3

Wow, what a loss...

The community will be smaller without you.

A humble thanks for your MASSIVE contributions.

I wish the best in your future endeavours.

• Like 3

Damn shame, but when it`s time, it`s time. Thanks for everything you`ve done, and the fantastic mod we have.

All the best, Sav.

• Like 1

He has gone to a better place...that does not involve modding for ArmA

Congrats on the retirement! :drinking2:

• Like 5

You will be missed, Sav. Under your leadership UNSUNG has become an oustanding mod for ArmA, and an inspiration for many other contributors.

Please don't disappear! Your experience, knowledge, common sense, and common decency are resources the ArmA community will surely benefit from in future.

Very best wishes

Orc

Wow crazy news. Love this mod and hope development will still continue in the future. 

Huge loss to the modding community.  Enjoy your time away from Arma!

Ok, so I finally downloaded this massive mod.  I was just messing with the Navy aircraft landing on the Nimitz.  There are 2 tailhook options, 1 for the unsung planes, 1 that I guess comes inherent with using the Nimitz.  Dropping the hook with the unsung option doesn't allow the arrestor to catch a wire, you have to use the Nimitz tailhook option, and when I do, I get an error that pops up on the screen.  I don't have any ability to take a screenshot, but it has something to do with the Nimitz tailhook. 

Also, any way to spawn the A-3, C-1 and E-2 pre-folded via script?  The A-3 and C-1 I have to do it manually when i start the mission, but the E-2 enters a packing animation as soon as the mission starts.  Any way to get them all pre-folded like the F-4, A-6 and A-7? 

The other thing is when landing with the F-4 and A-7, if I hit shift to throttle up, it auto engages the afterburners and I have to scramble with my keyboard to turn it off and usually wind up overshooting the deck (actually setting up my joystick will probably eliminate this problem, or maybe remapping my keys).  My suggestion would be auto engage AB at 95+ throttle (I think the F/A-18 mod does that).  And the last thing (purely cosmetic)....the F-4 tailhook is always down as long as the gear is down, there is no seperate option to stow it. 

I do love the E-2A model.  You guys should release that as a standalone and reskin it with modern markings and just call it an E-2C since the D has a glass cockpick and 6 bladed props.  This is just a suggestion though, I know you guys are crazy busy

Just outta curiousity....I see all the aircraft have USS Coral Sea markings  Are you guys cooking up your own carrier as well?!

• Like 3

the planes are in the workshop to get upgraded to jets dlc standards - gonna be a long year.

i've been working on the hueys, and weapons mainly. razor's working on his maps, tetet's fixing up the planes a little for planeX simulation.

there's a few other guys tinkering with stuff, but it's very slow progress.

re the nimitz, we have not yet worked with tet to integrate anything as we wanted to wait until first the jets dlc carrier was finished, and then the nimitz is upgraded. so maybe spring next year our planes will work with the nimitz properly.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2017 at 11:20 PM, Delta Hawk said:

He has gone to a better place...that does not involve modding for ArmA

Congrats on the retirement! :drinking2:

He's chillin' in modder's valhalla (AKA real life) :drinking2:

• Like 1

Question how do I get units that you spawned by scripts to have that talking function where they just say random stuff in combat. I noticed editor spawned units will have this but not scripted spawned. 

@sgt_savage

Thx for your work and commitment to the community.

Wish you good luck for the rest - whatever you plan to do.

Cheers

• Like 2

Was testing out some VC static weapons and found out that those bunkers with the static weapons attached to them the AI can not fire out of them. Also it almost seems like the AI see that tall grass as and object and will not fire at you through it. 

bug reports go to armanam.eu forum with test mission and detailed classnames etc - there's a report system over there if you wish your issue to be acted upon.

Nice evening in the Nam:

fOzhZFE.jpg

• Like 11

Annnd this is the play-session from last night, only managed couple hours myself but egg and others had been on for 12 hours! Stuff in vid subject to change as its still be worked on afaik.

• Like 5

thanks jeza, was a great fun game - 13 hours in total

deeply immersive gameplay.

awesome operators

And definitely no pilot team kills.

Nope.

Nada.

None at all.

No evidence of such occurrence. 

• Like 4

Yeah, it sure was a fantastic day. Couldn`t have asked for a better bunch of guys to play with. Solid to a man.

...even if multiple pilots definitely didn`t occasionally drop explosives on their own side. That`d never happen...

• Like 1

blinged up the old rusty rocket pods (thanks to myke / pook for the original work!) and the miniguns, ammo boxes etc

m60s next (thanks to NI Arms)

thanks also to nodunit for helping me fix the weird transparency issue, and teaching me new skills - see the rocket triggers i added thanks to his patient coaching.

TyBN7eX.jpg

sU5Pleh.jpg

PRCtrkl.jpg

6wdyeRx.jpg

• Like 5

Presenting - the Retirement Helmet for Sgt. Savage

SqSsrPX.jpg

• Like 10