sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

First of all, huge thanks to the Unsung Team. You guys are my modding heroes. Arma 3 is the perfect game set in the wrong era by default (for a player like me) and you guys are the solution to that. I recently got into a rough car accident IRL (Nearly went off the edge of a mountain in my truck!) and so basically spent the 2 days after sitting in bed enjoying Unsung Charlie trying to create a dynamic open-ended sandbox style mission.

I wanted to comment on 2 minor quirks/issues I've noticed that I'm curious if possible to resolve.

1) Helicopter door gunners & passengers: For some reason when I board a UH-1D Slick my squad AI assumes the door gunners position and bumps the heli crew members into a passenger position with their legs dangling, pistol drawn. Looks a bit off!

2) A.I and Rivers (DA Krong map): The SMALL river system near the radio/listening post, directly south of the airfield, is cool but I have an issue with it. When A.I is set to patrol in this area very often they get bungled up trying to swim-cross the river. Squads tend to lose formation & some guys stay in the river for quite some time before managing to scramble out. Using an A.I system like G.A.I.A seems to manage to get them to EVENTUALLY get past the rivers but using manually placed waypoints I've had a squad be stuck trying to cross for like an hour.

I get Arma's AI quirks, especially its oddness with water, is far from the fault of the amazing Unsung team. However I wonder if adding more shallow areas to the river crossings (the small stream ones, not the big delta) would help improve the AI's ability to pathfind on the map?

Finally, a open ended  question: Any good examples of missions utilizing the civ assets? I'd really like to recreate the Nam feel where villagers & civ boat traffic added to the confusion.

• Like 2

Hi gfresco

Ok The helicopter door gunner bug has been fixed for delta release :)

Regarding AI path finding issue lies with the engine's ability as you mentioned, for us to go ahead and start raising terrain just in certain areas is not really practical. Razorback may have a look at it but it's up to him if he wants to do this since he has other projects running.

Re the civilian mission well there are no official ones that I know of. However , Delta release we have expanded the Civilian assets by means of custom basket carrying ability and some new boats (which are WIP and a little glitch at present )

As things progress we endevour to expand the civilians Faction to give more diversity to the mod , something I personally am looking forward to :) 

• Like 3

Hey Sgt_Savage,

Great to hear about the door gunner thing. Totally a minor issue, but at the same time when you're trying to do that picture perfect LRRP insertion and some helicopter crewman is waving his pistol about while a LRRP'er is manning the guns it does diminish the magic of the moment, hehe.

I totally understand not wanting to mess with maps & raise terrain over an issue, that lets be honest, Arma 3/B.I devs should have resolved on their end. That said I do wonder if there's a "sweet spot" where Arma's limited AI can be considered without diminishing important terrain features (water-craft passable streams, etc), but I can totally understand how fiddling with such a minor detail isn't a good use of time. I personally have found AI commander systems, like GAIA, manage to brute-force pathfind their squads through the rivers anyhow, it can sometimes just take like 15 minutes at a bad spot.

Very excited for the "basket carrying" and new boats too. I find one of the main things holding back Arma 3 from simulating realistic war environments is the non-presence of civs. As a mission maker I'm always trying to find ways to implement civilians in a way that enhances the gameplay experience (without crashing performance too). My ultimate goal is to make a map feel alive, and that you can watch the mission "play itself" realistically if you wanted too (Which I do lots now with the Eden Editor SP spectator). My dream is a mission with realistic river traffic & presence in villages so that the gameplay becomes more complex than simply "open fire on any non-green uniform".

Edit: I'm on very limited satellite net (I am basically Canadian Vietcong, my pajamas are just plaid) but I'm hoping to upload some clips from my mission down the line. I get lots of randomly generated moments that are pretty nifty/cool & make Da Krong feel alive.

• Like 1

awesome - glad you're enjoying the mod. we make it for appreciative people like you!

In A2 i had civs spawning in the villages and chickens, goats, pigs and buffalo.

we even have sharks and custom snakes in the pack but not implemented in A3 yet.

so far priority has been on the core military assets from arma 2, and replacement of some of the older weapon models etc

we do have some things up our sleeve like transport carts, bicycles, ride-on buffalo, traps etc

here's a screenie from Arma 2:

BuffaloRiders_zps95c54a94.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the release party chaps! Will have some video I caught of our PvP sessions later, for now enjoy your F4 :D

tfPoIZ6.jpg

• Like 2

Aaaaaah Delta is out! I don't suppose there's a smaller download to go from Charlie to Delta? Being on satellite net with a 512mb daily limit really hurts... For now I'll ust have to find the changelog to pour over.

3 hours ago, gfresco said:

Aaaaaah Delta is out! I don't suppose there's a smaller download to go from Charlie to Delta? Being on satellite net with a 512mb daily limit really hurts... For now I'll ust have to find the changelog to pour over.

Hi gfresco, I feel your pain but Delta isn't just about additional content. There are many bug fixes and tweaks integrated into the release. 

Quick Timeline review;

Unsung 3.0 WIP announce Jan 1, 2015  (A2 and A3 are very different)

Alpha Released      - Dec 13, 2015  (1 year ago)

Bravo Released      - May 27, 2016 (at this time it was thought Charlie would take until Christmas 2016)

Charlie Released    - August 7, 2016 (several months ahead of schedule)

Delta Released       - Dec 14, 2016 (Major content and bug fix release)

A lot has been accomplished in this last year. Arma 3 is finally the game I want it to be.

• Like 7

some new WIP pics

new models by luchador

Stg44 bought for us by Shermanator (THANK YOU!) - it will be donated also to Fow mod if they want it.

ugbjSD1.jpg

54AgZ14.jpg

Wmc4NeA.jpg

new m2 carbine paid for by Bill70 (THANK YOU!)

qTGZD98.jpg

kDJumdp.jpg

MAT49 by Paul Drumdorf paid for by Barden (THANK YOU!)

Z3yZFu4.jpg

• Like 14

Hey guys, great mod.  I may have a very minor contribution if anyone is interested. I made a mod a few months ago that added a 40+ faces to arma 3. One of those was Staff Sergeant  Barnes from the movie Platoon. barnes%20headshot.png Anyway, if anyone is interested here is a link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686954706

• Like 4

thanks man - can we use that without needing the other mods you listed as a requirement? i havent edited any faces in A3, so maybe im not the best one to talk about it.

we do have out own face changing stuff in the mod, so can we just plug your texture into that or do we need a special head or w/e from those mods you listed?

On 12/21/2016 at 6:46 PM, Muppet Slapper said:

Hey guys, great mod.  I may have a very minor contribution if anyone is interested. I made a mod a few months ago that added a 40+ faces to arma 3. One of those was Staff Sergeant  Barnes from the movie Platoon. barnes%20headshot.png Anyway, if anyone is interested here is a link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686954706

I remember in Arma 2 used to have all kinds of Face Mod addons, it doesn't seem to be as popular in A3.

I would like to see some additional choices.

• Like 2

starting work importing these lovely high quality weapon models:

- new AKM model by Tim Bergholz

- new Winchester Model 12 shotgun model by Moritz Mayer

HWBXzkP.jpg

• Like 10

Well here's a bit of history for all our loyal fans each alpha release since operation Flashpoint Days through to today

Operation flashpoint : http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9179
Arma 1 : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=news&id=2530
Arma 2 : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=4640

Arma 3 : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186586-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-v30-alpha-released/

Too much history there ;)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sgt_savage said:

Well here's a bit of history for all our loyal fans each alpha release since operation Flashpoint Days through to today

Operation flashpoint : http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9179
Arma 1 : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=news&id=2530
Arma 2 : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=4640

Arma 3 : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186586-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-v30-alpha-released/

Too much history there ;)

Jeez, having been out of Arma for a long time due to RL issues, I'm astonished by the amount and quality of the A3 release - I just downloaded delta.

Unsung was one of my favourite mods in A2  and is guaranteed to be such in A3. The dedication and talent of you and your colleagues shows in every release I've looked at.

Many thanks and much respect to the Unsung team for providing conte

nt of such outstanding quality, putting many commercial offerings to shame.

Warm regards and Happy New Year wishes to all of you in RL as well as gaming personas.

Orc

• Like 1

RB has been importing stuff today

- new m2 model by Luchador

- new Winchester Model 1912 by Moritz Mayer

YLsEPk9.jpg

aSoIaF7.jpg

• Like 8

Guys as you can see the donations given go towards new assets in game. Unlike other donations spent on mods you can see what its been used on :)

So if you can spare some money and want to help us update our arsenal then please PM us. Not only do you receive public credit from the team you are also giving to thousands of other people in the community whilst making the mod that much better.

SaV

• Like 2

thanks to very generous donations from imager6 and suds420 we also have just bought these new pistol models (plus a cheap trial shotgun replacement)

we have some cash left over to put towards a centurion tank or another item.

I do have an out-standing permission from Trouble to work on his old BAOR models, so i am looking at resurrecting his old Centurion tank from there.

so watch this space!

there are a lot of models in development for echo - many by Ramamarine and his team - and many in our archives, but we are always keen to replace older models with new ones.  You will agree i am sure that the pistols have long needed an update.

OGicyEB.jpg

JzUnR7R.jpg

hQ2WOYE.jpg

B7Bb3yF.jpg

Nnjzzag.jpg

1IMCEYN.jpg

• Like 6

just made this pack for LRP's based on a pic in the Osprey book

new LRP pack layout includes:

- 3 pouch pack and frame

- prc90

- machete, kabar (will replace with civ fighting knife idc)

- yellow smoke nades and concussion grenades

- 2 quart bladder, 1 quart canteen

- m60 ammo can

• Like 5

shots of new AKM in game

kXqnclg.jpg

iWW3qz7.jpg

and new StG44 in game (rvmat needs some work)

0Veh9kd.jpg

• Like 9

rigged and animated pistols

S&W model 10 .38

S&W model 27 .357

.38 special

• Like 4

new model 12 trench gun - takes an m1917 bayonet too - which auto hides the sling.

new ithaca model 1937 shotgun

first look at the new AKM we are bringing in - it will soon have anims to synch with toadie's reload anims and S stock and drum mag versions, sling, bayonet and suppressor. It really is an amazing model.

• Like 5