sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

ah well we have a Model 870 mk1 to get them back with

m870_mk1_zpsvszj70ud.jpg

• Like 5

Well, Sportiers are close 'nuff when you throw a fake E2 comp over the barrel  ;)

Still more convincing then Cold War era soviet equipment in US movies (mostly OpFor style mockups and South African AK clones and Galils)

The old Red Dawn had cool mockups. But the one in Red Scorpion was just LoL  :lol:

I still wonder, why they didn't just use scale miniatures for exterior and just fake the interrior with an actual Puma.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

time for a barbie, with some tinnies. the fackin aussies finally showed up!

aussies1_zpstibbwf1i.jpg

• Like 6

interesting reading - we got pretty much everything from the movies in the game.

Darn, I knew I should have kept A2 with Unsung installed, as now I can't remember all the kit you put in there.

Was the "Death Machine" M-60 modification included in there? I need to take some screenshots of SOG and that would just be the cherry on top.

Edit: Maybe it was just photos of the thing I was thinking, as these were tucked into my bookmark file :P

But it's such a cute little piece isn't it :)

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=12032

not seen much evidence of its actual use in vn though. it has been asked before. i wonder if it's a myth like the big saucers they drop in a tree that you rappel down from.

...the big saucers they drop in a tree that you rappel down from.

I know that movie  ;)

i read about that in a book about a guy who led a sog strike company, but i also googled him, like i do with all the vietnam vets, and there are pages of online discussion by other vets compiling a compendium of evidence that the guy is a massive bullshitter. they even wrote to current jsoc chief complaining about the guy. it ends with an email from the author offering to meet the guys at the next sog convention to have it out. that would have been a nasty scene. it has to be said i did wonder how the fack you can climb back up a rapelling rope in full patrol gear with sweaty hands... i was thinking they must be superhuman, then realised, oh it was bullshit lol

• Like 1

That "death machine" looks like an Airsoft innovation.  The M60 has a recoil tube in the buttstock, like an MG-42 or an M-16.  I would have to look at the real thing to understand how they did it.  That bobbed-off back end of that M60 looks as if it is missing the recoil tube and therefore wouldn't work IRL.  Again I'd have to see the real gun to know for certain.  Besides the minute you need to detach the backpack you made the gun ineffective because it is missing the buttstock.  Again, I doubt that would be done in a real application.

The US has experimented with man-portable belt fed solutions since post WW2.  Search the Internets for all sorts of interesting pics. 

ar15lmg_zps49a12781.png

The most recent one is the "Iron Man" backpack that started as a field-designed pack by a few soldiers.  Those Staff Sergeants that designed it look like they can barely be drinking age...   US Ingenuity at its finest :)

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/custom-mk48-762mm-machine-gun-ammo-backpack-named-ironman-a-game-changer-on-battlefield/

And see what the .MIL did to it - $4000 each to "reinvent" it after these Sergeants already developed it... LOL

... of interest note the Vietnam-era China Lake carrier in the pics of the article... that's the real thing:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/21/us-army-developed-ironman-ammo-pack-costs-more-than-commercial-version-it-emulates/

IMG_7497.jpg

HOWEVER.  There is extremely little evidence that any of these experiments made it into the field other than in field-testing scenarios.  Let's be reasonable.  500 rounds of 7.62mm ammo is heavy.  Add to that a backpack frame and you are looking at more weight than one person will want to carry in the muddy broken terrain of a jungle.  AND reloading those feed chutes is tedious.  They are aluminum "links" that you have to snake the belts into.  Not too fun.  I will assume that in practice it was intended for the first 500 or so, then they would detach and switch to normal belts.  I will guess you can count on one hand how many of these were actually used in-theater!

I would argue not to add these kinds of "bullshit" things into the mod.  They aren't representative of Real World applications and frankly more divisive than anything else.  If you want to play Jesse Ventura in Predator then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Like 6

I would like to donate a small amount to buy an item for UNSUNG, how do I do this. I see a place to make a donation to Elite Warriors, but not toward a new item for UNSUNG. Thanks for all the great work your team does, my group plays missions with UNSUNG every week, we could have used a tank last night.

• Like 3

hey thanks so much for this - send me a PM and i'll give you my paypal account

• Like 1

time for a barbie, with some tinnies. the fackin aussies finally showed up!

aussies1_zpstibbwf1i.jpg

Just means we gotta fly in a little more beer into the FOB, from time to time.  Maybe some shrimp for the barbie too.... :)

• Like 2

ok so for fans of the old maps, after literally 15 hours sitting here porting models in, and their rvmats, and textures and model.cfgs and config entries... and then debugging the popups, and hexediting the maps to redefine some models, importing some sound files etc ...

we now have resurrected for Arma 3:

- SEA by csj

- lowlands by csj

this was inspired by bigstone and razorback getting the sky and lighting model sorted initially.

- ponds are disabled on SEA until BI fixes A2 ponds somehow?

- we may try to add replacement apex clutter - experiments to follow.

it is difficult as csj lost his hard-drive with the original maps on, so we are working with binned wrp files.

they are kind of old-school maps for the people who loved them, not really intended as primary maps in the new unsung (unless we can sort the apex foliage) but the yretain their ambience and playability, with much better fps in the A3 engine, so think of them as a bonus.

may have a go at ia drang valley and cao bang next.

• Like 11

oh nice to hear that , lowlands was my favorite Unsung map ,nice vegi with good frames

imported today:

- Plei Trap alley

- Ia Drang Valley

- Dong Ha

• Like 6

Ok, now i'm done...  :blink:

*loads up old secondary PC in search of the stashed away OFP mod folder  :ph34r:

• Like 1

A quick recap on what's new for delta:

MAPS

- 2 significantly updated and improved maps:
---Doung
---Da Krong

- 3 new MAPS: 
---Song Cu by Jones
---Khe Sanh by Londo
---Nam 2 map by Variable 

- 7 maps imported from A2:
---SEA
---Plei Trap Valley
---Ia Drang Valley
---Dong Ha
---Lowlands
---Phu Bai (50%)
---Cao Bang (50%)
---Ashau Valley (30%)

WEAPONS and KIT

- new weapon animations for most weapons
- improved flares and flashlights
- civ basket backpacks

- new weapons /models:
---Sten
---SVT40
---MP40
---Owen
---M60
---Mac10
---M1 Carbine, M2 Carbine, M3 Carbine
---M14
---Type 50
---Baikal
---M870 mk1
---Ithaca, Ithaca pistol grip
---AKM drum
---mk2 grenade
---L1A1, L2a1, L2a1 GL, L2a1 shorty
---Type 99 (90%)
---SMLE (90%)
---mosin nagant (70%)
---M1903 (50%)

AIR
- UH1D dust-off
- F4e (70%)
- H21C (60%)

LAND
- improved lights, brake lights and muzzle flashes on all vehicles
- Jeeps have new clutter
- New m60 model on most vehicles
- new wrecks

- Ural truck 
---transport open, covered, camo
---refuel
---repair
---reammo
---mg
---S60
---Zu23
---Zpu4

Opfor tanks (90%)
---T34-76
---T34-85
---OT34 flamethrower tank
---T54
---T55
---TO55 flamethrower tank

APCs
- Type 63 APC (80%)
- M113A1 
---M60
---M2
---M40 (90%)
---Mk18
---M134

Blufor tanks
- M551 (50%)
- M48 (50%)

BUILDINGS etc
- new huts, flags, docks, hangars etc
- use of many new Apex huts, trenches, rocks etc
- complete revamp of editor layout for our buildings and objects
- new rope bridge, ruins, etc
- many new items

UNITS
- SEAL and SOG units
- Australian and New Zealand factions
- fixed factions in groups
- fixed unit type naming for calling out etc

FIXES
- many bug and issue fixes
  • Like 8

@Unsung dev team

there is a problem to use some famous songs of this era for missions?

thanks in advance

i try to explain 

if i use a famous 60' song to opening or during a mission there is a copyright problems? 

AFAIK only if you record and put it up on Youtube - the YT automated system will copyright the video after certain amount of views.

A quick recap on what's new for delta:

MAPS

- 2 significantly updated and improved maps:
---Doung
---Da Krong

- 3 new MAPS: 
---Song Cu by Jones
---Khe Sanh by Londo
---Nam 2 map by Variable 

- 7 maps imported from A2:
---SEA
---Plei Trap Valley
---Ia Drang Valley
---Dong Ha
---Lowlands
---Phu Bai (50%)
---Cao Bang (50%)
---Ashau Valley (30%)

Holy crap!   That is awesome.  Always used the Radio Relay base as a makeshift "Hamburger Hill" but Ashau Valley will be dope.  Same with Dong Ha. 

Can't wait...