sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

• Issue: The LAW rocket is messed up (points at ground) and is unusable...
  • Issue: Getting occasional missing sound files such as coughs or laughs...
  • Issue: The PBR's - when loading with AI Crew - doesn't man the gun positions first - so the heavy guns sit idle while the crew sits in seats... Also on the Flame Thrower PBR - the middle gun doesn't seem capable of being used...
  • Question: Running the "Platoon" SP mission and it has us use (2) PBR's to get down river - I have the basics of ordering the boats to move down river - by aiming and ordering "move there" or similarly on the map - but man it's tedious - I usually get the boat I'm not in - jammed up and unable to proceed - is there some trick to get two boats to make a fast sweeping attack run down river in SP ?
  • Question: Should I be using any addon AI to improve AI performance ?

Issue 1: The LAW rocket isn't messed up, that is completely intentional. It is so when the LAW is unloaded it sits folded on top of your ruck, you can see this in third person. Just load a rocket into it (You'll probably have one lying in your kit somewhere) and you're good to go!

Issue 2: We seem to get that more and more now so we'll be looking into why the full DSAI isn't getting to some people.

Issue 3: Not sure if there is anything we can really do about how AI load into vehicles. So I do not really know how to answer that one, however the middle gun we already know is unusable, it is like that until we manage to come round touching things up again after porting all the things we want to in :)

Question 1: We don't make any missions, other than showcases (And Evolution made by Eggbeast), so any mission questions will most likely have to be directed towards the mission maker :P

Question 2: Completely up to you my friend! AI is always set up to the mission maker or the server owner so whatever floats your boat, but I do not think you need one. If you feel like more of a challenge then maybe see what AI mods do to AI when they are in the jungle (How they react to contact, how they move through it, e.t.c.)

And thanks for your support mate ;)

• Like 5

I fully aware why the DSAI module is spitting errors . I intentionally remmed the sound files out in the config because I need to fix the actual sound files. That's why the engine cant find it and its popping up with errors. It will be resolved it in charlie release.

• Like 2

the LAW is zeroed at 175m, just in case you manage to load it :p

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Thanks Nakkas for your very detailed response – much appreciated – sir…

LAW: Hah – oops – I may have has a gross conceptual error on that one – I thought the LAW was a one shot deal with a preloaded rocket – I didn’t even look for ammo… I’ll check the ammo crates more carefully… Thanks… LOL – Eggbeast – if I manage to load it without blowing myself up…

One other observation on my PBR mission down the river… I’ve been playing it over and over again – as I keep dying… When I do get both PBR’s - twin 50’s in each boat - to their first real encounter – single enemy patrol boat with a single machine gun fore and aft… We come around the bend and everyone is firing – the enemy always kills both my boats even though I have twice the fire power… It seems that the enemy AI if far superior to my AI… If I switch it up and I man the forward gun – I win every time – even if I use just a single boat…

On the map that’s not an island – don’t have names handy – the airbase on the northern edge – doesn’t seem to have any AI path for tracked vehicles to make it to the road… I can’t order AI tracked vehicles to leave the base… If use one of the amphibious vehicles – it chooses a route going through the water… Just a heads up in case this wasn’t intended… On the mission I am playing – there are a bunch of tracked vehicles on the base – and with a road so near – they should be able to get there…

I like your jungles better than the new Tanos jungles – the darker colors makes for a much more foreboding atmosphere than the brighter ones on Tanos – especially on a gloomy rainy day – which seems oh so fitting for Nam…

Anyway – again – just trying to provide some constructive feedback…

I’ll have to pick up some Stones and CCR for atmosphere…

You’ve got me hooked…

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

first look at Nightintruders H-21C Shawnee. Porting in by Tetet.

The flying banana cometh.

h21_zpspcvafy3q.jpg

Time to pack it with ARVN troops.

Thanks again Scott for you kind regards and feedback!

Yeah the LAW is disposable, eggbeast had set it up that after you fire your character drops it so it is that however we wanted to look of a law just resting on your pack. After you load just don't miss whatever they are chucking at you! :D

I think mainly why you find the PBRs end up losing against the other boat is the extremely strong DShK MGs that their boat has. For now I suggest just trying to play more strategically in the PBRs against the enemy boats, or better yet if you are able to, get some air support! Just about anything on the US side of helicopters and aircraft should be able to knock those boats ez-peasy.

Like Pook said, not much we can do really regarding AI, but glad you enjoy the jungle! Don't get lost though, I fear Razorback and future map makers are quite keen in having the jungle keep close dark secrets within it's depths.

Good luck :)

• Like 2

well he may have a point - we should check the AI fire modes on the twin M2 in case they are as accurate as sawn-off shotguns.or something from legacy.

given he can cope when he mans the guns, it may be that the AI can't hit anything with those weapons. worth a look to check. the AI modes were too detailed for my first pass on the weapon configs.

Hi Folks,

Hah - looking forward to my next tour...

Question - if a "FNG" wants to try a multiplayer session - is there a server setup for me to get my feet wet... Again - never tried multiplayer - so some patience would be required... Are the voice coms built into Arma or do I need some third party app (shows you how much I know about multiplayer) ? I only get time to mess with this on weekend at night - EDT... My ultimate goal would be to participate in sessions that are as realistic as practical... Might solve my stupid AI problem as well...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Nearly everyone uses Team Speak, a free client.  You connect up to the MP server for chat.  Sometimes you can use other things but as a standalone chat app, it is usually Team Speak.

I know the in-game chat is used sometimes, e.g. for "direct chat" or vehicle chat or similar.  But "usually" it is team speak.

Question - if a "FNG" wants to try a multiplayer session - is there a server setup for me to get my feet wet... Again - never tried multiplayer - so some patience would be required... Are the voice coms built into Arma or do I need some third party app (shows you how much I know about multiplayer) ? I only get time to mess with this on weekend at night - EDT... My ultimate goal would be to participate in sessions that are as realistic as practical... Might solve my stupid AI problem as well...

Sent you a PM with some info so I don't flood the BI forum with info that is offtopic ;)

OK anyone out in the Armaverse that is able and has experience in arranging music or making covers of songs please contact me via PM. If you can play an instrument or can use sound generating software to create music please get in contact with me :)

SaV

OK anyone out in the Armaverse that is able and has experience in arranging music or making covers of songs please contact me via PM. If you can play an instrument or can use sound generating software to create music please get in contact with me :)

SaV

Unsung - the music mod!  (sorry, had to be done)

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Just thanks for all the assistance - much appreciated - looks like I have some poking around to do...

Regards,

Scott

Are there going to be more maps? Hue/Saigon map would be really great. Saigon would be really nice for roleplayings.

there will be more maps - check the roadmap posts i make in this thread for details..

we could use a couple of new map makers to help out though to speed things up.

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Playing through some SP missions made by "Grunt" last night - omg - they are so darn wickedly good... I've yet to accomplish a single one - but I'm having fun dying trying - LOL... Think I need to sacrifice my men more and stop trying to lead from the front... I find the whole thing with Unsung so immersive and completely different from most maps where you can see for miles... The uncertainty and suspense the first time through is pretty darn realistic... Unsung is truly a work of art... Still much to learn...

OK - where is the "howler monkey" sound effect from - while it sounds pretty good - it does sound like someone may have had there wife of girlfriend try to emulate the sound for the sim - as it sounds like it has a of a bit human quality to it - every time I hear it - I just couldn't imagine having that conversation with a significant other - "honey - I know this is going to sound a bit strange - but can you do me a favor ?" LOL - anyway - I got a chuckle out of it...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I tell Egg all the time on Skype.... but i want the rest of the team to know too.... I absolutely adore this mod. 

Congratulations and absolute respect to the entire team who have put this together. 

• Like 3

Scottb613

Cheers mate glad you enjoyed the missions.will make more when the Unsung updates are out.

Cheers again

Grunt

• Like 1

coming soon:

new weapons from kable, now converted to p3d by Razroback

BAR

bar_new1_zpsxjapn3qt.jpg

K50m with drum

k50_new1_zps2i7petdx.jpg

• Like 5

Hi guys, thanks for the awesome mod! I'm starting to set up a nice vietnam-themed mission on tanoa for me and my friends

I'm unable to find weapon magazine classnames anywhere, can you help me out? I found the pdf with all classnames in appenedix, but those don't seem to work. I also checked the xls on your forums, but didn't find magazine classnames there. Thank you