sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

The CH54 is in desperate need of a good texture so it isn't just a "blocky" green.  In case any texture artists want to help out!  :)

Is there a AH-1G/ M-35 in there? Like the Minis on that one.....Could these come with a Survivable Crash Script from start? Can come in handy.... 

I'd presume they wouldn't be able to fill it up to max capacity in Vietnam conditions. but then again you see pictures of Huey's packed to the max so maybe they performed better?

They wouldn't, right. It all depend on several things - altitude they were flying, temperature, humidity and a few other things. Have you ever heard the story about Hueys which had to hover a little above ground (they couldn't take off vertically) then were gaining speed while their crews were chasing them on runway to jump into the heli on move? Of course, after fuel was burnt, they could land, take wounded, fly back to an airbase and land vertically without major problems. That's why they started removing side doors and pilots doors from Hueys. The CH46A were worst in terms of underpowered engines so don't expect 17 troops onboard unless wheels up is conducted at both very low altitude and temperature (which is nonsense in that climate, btw). So, yeah, realistically I would expect 12-man squad capacity in good conditions at most. Introduction of CH46D in 1967 was a remedy to some extent for that situation but I've never read that they had been flying with full capacity of 25 pax. Sorry for too long story, but wanted to assure you that I know what I am doing (in most cases lol).

• Like 4

Sorry for too long story, but wanted to assure you that I know what I am doing (in most cases lol).

Nah its cool, i enjoy learning. I can remember hearing the Merlins in Afghanistan were at some times having trouble lifting only 8 blokes with all their gear. It's these little things that you don't really realize are quite a massive factor in situations.

• Like 2

most of the books i have read are either SOG insertions or extractions with CH46 - climbing into the ramp from a 40 degree hillside, or else climbing up ladders or using STABO rigs to exfil maybe 6 guys + 1 prisoner.

I have read a lot of books about cobra pilots and slick pilots and huey gunships.  Not found a good book by a ch46 pilot or crew chief.

This book is by an ex crew chief on huey gunships - the story about using runways and hopping in at the last minute to get off the ground is well detailed in there.

Their main issue was that they would carry a lot of ammo.

The chinook i just made can carry 24 cargo. This is less than the 30 something i read it could handle (24 was the number of litters if used as medevac).

So in general setting it to carry 2/3 of the weight is a good call.

My slick has 11 cargo instead of 13. But that is a D/H model so can cope.

• Like 1

Yeaah, I heard that Mi-17s, usually transporting up to 36 pax in standard day, couldn't lift single one when there's +50 deg of C outside, in brown conditions since working dust ejectors also contributed to the loss of engines power. Often, people talking about helicopter performance in games have no idea about such little factors and details that contribute a lot to an aviation in RL, ie. how much working anti-ice equipment affects engines performance or what's the altitude above which fully loaded Mi-17 must fly faster then 35 knots otherwise it will fall down like a rock. And telling from my own modding experiences, such impact can be modeled in the addon provided that RTD Library is used. 
By the way, nice job you have all done with the CH47 and the "Guns-a-go-go" there! 

added basic unbuilt, untested mi8 family.
working on memory points later
i have made - unarmed transport, ambulance, armed transport (2x pk)

as this is based on my BIS port it already has opening and closing side and rear clamshell doors

to do:

memory points for lots of stuff (lights, guns, exhaust, slingloading)

check proxy positions

add medevac stretcher racks

hollow out rear cabin geo and install roadway lod

pics in next few days

• Like 2

Realism?  That's just crazy talk :)

Night, have you experimented yet with the "setmass / getmass" commands?  I have thought that using those would be a potential way to address some of the issues around limiting the aircraft based on certain critieria... for example if certain weapons are loaded, "setMass" the vehicle to a larger amount, etc. so it behaves differently.  That may or may not work, and I intend one day to experiment with that command.  I presume it could be used to simulate "too much" in cargo for helicopters in the same way... on GETIN, count cargo, and if cargo count > 24, setmass "getmass chopper x 2" - making it behave poorly until the overload condition is addressed.   Hopefully it will yield results in this way :)

• Like 3

They wouldn't, right. It all depend on several things - altitude they were flying, temperature, humidity and a few other things. Have you ever heard the story about Hueys which had to hover a little above ground (they couldn't take off vertically) then were gaining speed while their crews were chasing them on runway to jump into the heli on move? Of course, after fuel was burnt, they could land, take wounded, fly back to an airbase and land vertically without major problems. That's why they started removing side doors and pilots doors from Hueys. The CH46A were worst in terms of underpowered engines so don't expect 17 troops onboard unless wheels up is conducted at both very low altitude and temperature (which is nonsense in that climate, btw). So, yeah, realistically I would expect 12-man squad capacity in good conditions at most. Introduction of CH46D in 1967 was a remedy to some extent for that situation but I've never read that they had been flying with full capacity of 25 pax. Sorry for too long story, but wanted to assure you that I know what I am doing (in most cases lol).

Also the Marines were combat ladened with their webgear as well...  So I would assume a squad of 12 to 14 Marines would be the max for a CH-46...  OTH I read about the 173rd AB in Vietnam using CH-47's for major air assaults.  In one of the air assualts that included huey's for troop transports, they also had a lift of x6 CH-47's carrying 33 combat ladened troops in each one, basically shuttling a rifle company in that CH-47 lift.

• Like 2

Night, have you experimented yet with the "setmass / getmass" commands? 

Yes, I have. It never worked in AFM for me. Perhaps, it doesn't work for objects that has its mass defined through GeoLOD or I did something wrong. I use setCustomWeightRTD instead then.

And yes, it would be nice addition as could simulate different malfunctions and failures along with setCenterOfMass commands, especially as it gives modders possibility to invoke a change of mass within defined time and place of the model => cargo shifting, instability of a heli, lost of power, damaged pilots controls etc.

CH34 Seahorse - in bravo

M37 ambulance - we have it binned only - may try to resurrect or else source new model

Willys jeep - in bravo, but new model needs converting to p3d for charlie

M48 Patton - in charlie

M274 MULE - no idea

• Like 1

is the willies jeep gonna have the bouncy suspension that the Arma 2 one you guys made did?

hopefully it will get a physX overhaul soon by A3mFr33dm

• Like 1

I fixed the physx behavior for Bravo, so the jeeps in their current form are actually usable.  Might want to have a look at them.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are there plans for a loadout editor UI for aircraft, or if not is there a list of what munitions are on each variant of each aircraft? I fully understand if this isn't a priority, thanks for creating such a badass mod! I can't wait to see what you'll do next!

add the unsung special module to your mission, then park near to an engineering M113

Mi-8 Hip ready to roll

a few tweaks to do to the model, but it's pretty much done.

mi8_2_zpsylpwr33h.jpg

mi8_3_zpsovqoxvkf.jpg

mi8_1_zpswgi7w08o.jpg

• Like 7

M274 MULE - no idea

Pity about the MULE, was hoping we could have this...  :D

M274_with_M40_in_AAFM.jpg

Sorry but we're not really in "wish list" mode.  You'll just have to enjoy the dozens of vehicles we have developed.

• Like 1

Sorry but we're not really in "wish list" mode.  You'll just have to enjoy the dozens of vehicles we have developed.

Fair enough.

It was stated as a Willys Jeep, is that really the M151 MUTT?

Virgin combat sortie for Guns-ago-go (on the new EW charlie beta test server)

guns2_zps0414d4pp.jpg

guns1_zpstshvuqj8.jpg

guns4_zps74yarxiy.jpg

packs a hell of a punch

guns3_zpsljrz150a.jpg

guns5_zpsuppl4auw.jpg

guns8_zpsdhjodi3a.jpg

taking the cobra out for it's first A3 combat sortie...

cob6_zps0e8rbscl.jpg

it is extremely versatile

guns7_zpsxa31ortp.jpg

• Like 5

Man Eggbeast - what a great set of shots...

I just noticed that large area on the map without foliage... Is that still a work in progress ?

Are there any Jolly Greens - planned or included ?

Regards,

Scott