sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

As I'm away this week and cannot test updates to the mission code I'm working on a little something for the charlie release instead (on laptop).

So far I have ported BIS' CH47-F chinook. 

I have stripped off the ramp and door guns and recreated the model.cfg.

I have then made 3 M60-D's each with their own selection and memory point names (using Vilas' M60 as a base, with rear sight and bipod removed).

I have added a spiderweb sight and a searchlight under the barrel - this is to enhance gameplay at night

The guns use proxies for the main body of the gun, adding only 800 points each to the aircraft model count (which is at about 12,000)

I've done the model.cfg for these so they all animate fully.

Am placing these on the ship as I type this (having a break from tedious renaming of a gazillion selections)

Shockley is reskinning it too, making it more vietnam era.

Next up will be the addition of cargo clutter, slingloading, fording depth, roadway LOD, new lights (inc my red cabin lights), exhaust fx and other A3 features.

Then finally the vehicle config, add Bigpickles awesome chinook sounds, and a few fun scripts like daylight flare, grenade and smoke drop and some rock music and we're away...

After that, will come the ACH47, which i can do everything for except the M24A1 cannons on the side. I may add a bullshit one (like a stretched 50cal or a bushmaster lol) as a placeholder until a modeler steps up to help.

these are the library entries I wrote for the new ships

"The CH-47A Chinook, first delivered for use in Vietnam in 1962, is a tandem-rotor medium 
transport helicopter. The Chinooks primary mission is moving artillery, ammunition, 
personnel, amd supplies on the battlefield. It also performs rescue, aero-medical, 
parachuting, aircraft recovery and special operations missions. Chinooks from the 11th 
Air Assault formed the nucleus of the 228th Assault Helicopter Battalion which began operations 
in VietNam in September 1965. CH-47As deployed to VietNam had a maximum payload of approximately 
10,000lb.  Boeing began delivering the CH-47B in May of 1967 before production shifted to the 
CH-47C which has a maximum cargo hook capacity of 20,000 pounds. 
The Chinook can be equipped with two door-mounting M60D machine guns on the M24 armament 
subsystem and a ramp mounting M60D using the M41 armament subsystem.  
The Chinook can carry 33 troops, or 24 CasEvac litters."

"The ACH-47A is a helicopter gunship version of the Chinook, nicknamed Guns A-Go-Go. 
Four aircraft served in VietNam.  The ACH-47A is armed with the XM5 40mm grenade 
launcher in a turret in the nose.  This is fed by a flexible belt running through the 
cockpit to the forward cabin where a 500 round magazine is located; It also has two 
M24A1 20mm cannons mounted on a 30-inch stub wing on each side of the forward sponsons, 
each fed by an 800-round magazine in the middle cabin; A pylon under each stub wing mounts 
either a 19-round 2.75in rocket pod or a M134 Minigun. In addition to these permanently mounted 
systems, there are five crew-operated 50-cal stations - right and left forward, right and 
left waist, and cargo ramp. The waist and forward stations have enlarged openings to allow a 
wider field of fire and the top half of the cargo ramp is removed to expand the rearward field of fire. 
Each 50-cal has its own 1,000 round magazine. With five gunner stations, the ACH-47A is the only 
helicopter gunship to fly into combat with a full 360-degree field of fire."

*Unsung Community Announcement*

In response to the Tanoa DLC release, It has been decided that future unsung releases will in fact require the latest DLC from Bohemia ... The unsung has always used new content and assets from these packs to make the mod a much more in depth jungle simulation. And I'm sure most will agree the tanoa foliage will definitely enhance the experience. 

To those whom do not want to purchase the Tanoa update,  Unsung 3.0b release already has a lot of content to keep you going and hope you understand our decision.

• Like 4

*Unsung Community Announcement*

In response to the Tanoa DLC release, It has been decided that future unsung releases will in fact require the latest DLC from Bohemia ... The unsung has always used new content and assets from these packs to make the mod a much more in depth jungle simulation. And I'm sure most will agree the tanoa foliage will definitely enhance the experience. 

To those whom do not want to purchase the Tanoa update,  Unsung 3.0b release already has a lot of content to keep you going and hope you understand our decision.

Glad to hear, can't wait to see the new version with Apex Vegetation!

grenade classnames link in my sig

use the MHQ teleport flag i nthe evo mission - you dont need to swim 3km jeez

The link in your description has descriptors for the grenades, but no in game classname (Unless I'm missing it somehow).  If someone gets a chance, it would be helpful to know the grenade classnames for mission building.  

I've been having an issue with AI being all star baseball players.  When AI squads run into each other, the firefight starts with a volley of extremely accurate grenade tossing (I've had grenades literally bounce off of my head).   I can reduce the accuracy of AI rifle fire with the skill and precision variables, but grenades seem to be unaffected.  The best solution I've found is to delete grenades from most of the units.  Right now I have to use arsenal, but It makes the firefights last a little longer, with a little bit more spray and pray into the bush.  (If anyone knows tricks to reducing AI grenade tossing accuracy I'd love to hear it.  It isn't the Mod's fault, it's more of a general ARMA 3 issue.)

Also, did you guys keep the old RUG DSAI variables in the unsung version of the script?  I realize it was probably a big changeover to get that script working from ARMA 2 to ARMA 3, but I was wondering if some of the commands still function in UNSUNG 3.0b

Such as turning the speech off and on with:

_unit setVariable ["RUG_DSAI_OVERRIDE", 1];

OR changing a language for a unit/group with:

_unit setVariable ["RUG_DSAI_LANG", "RUG_DSAIENG"];

If so, what are the language/variable names?  It would be somewhat nice to mute units for ambushes/stealth missions, and neat for some ARVN/Montagnard units to speak Vietnamese vs Vietnamenglish in some scenarios.

well my pocket is now £20 lighter, thank god you guys timed it well for end of year bonus to announce the Apex stuff. I think its a good decision though looking at some of their foliage on the screenshots

I have added some code from my mission ammo crates here on the Armanam forum.

unsung will be even richer in content now, im glad you decided and merge with tanoa props.

Apex is 20% on discount now, go grab it guys

MODELER HELP NEEDED

All of our talented modelers are absent, or resting up. Can you model - even a little bit?

If so we need help with the chinook, specifically:

- decals,

- make rear windows,

- add ammo boxes and armoured 50 cal belts,

- add m24a1 cannons,

- add wing stubs,

- add armour plates,

- create side door selections so we can open them.

This is what we're aiming for:

• Like 2

gunsagogo just got her first set of 50cals

gun2_zpsml14lta1.jpg

gun1_zpsdtnngyzv.jpg

• Like 5

I added the XM5 grenade launcher bubble to gunsagogo last night (thanks for the model pook!).  I just need to make a mock up wing stub and m24 cannon for it now. im thinking i might borrow it from pooks golf cobra and stick a rescaled m2 barrel on it with gaffa tape.  this is how i roll lol.  I make stuff that innovates, then other, better more talented people come along and rescue me from my jerry-rigged hell...

i'm on a train home after a week away so planning to try and get this thing to load in game tomorrow, so you may even get a screenshot... it will have a modern skin until shockley gets to work on it.

can't wait to see how the 800 round twin 20mm cannons perform...

• Like 1

The unsung backpack radios do not work. Am I doing something wrong or are these not activated yet?

first look at the CH-47 in unsung (charlie beta)

A lot of work still to do on these, but you get the idea...

ch47r1_zpscbwldphv.jpg

ch47r4_zpsnpbhlxqu.jpg

ch47r2_zpsebn3c7ks.jpg

ch47r3_zpsohbalkpz.jpg

and early preview of Guns-a-go-go

ach471_zpsxspr0xgy.jpg

• Like 8

This is looking fantastic. I am pumped to see what use you get out of the Tanoa assets. I hope you are keeping many/all of your own as the mixture could be the most diverse looking jungle in Arma yet.

turrets working

ach47_shiny_zpsew0kzwtq.jpg

plus a few interim decals til shockley works his magic

ch47_decals_zpsulg4urwl.jpg

• Like 9

I have a question and hoping there is an easy answer.  We love playing our Vietnam missions with Unsung now, thank you again so much for providing it.  However, when we do other missions I love using some of the assets y'all have created such as the patrol boats and such for third world country assets in my mercenary missions.  The problem I am running into is that when we are doing a European based mission I have some of the opfor speaking Vietnamese.  Is there a way to silence them easily?  It's comical at times but it does suspend immersion into a mission based outside of an Asian country.  I know I could disable Unsung but as I said, there are a lot of great assets I would lose access to with that solution.   Any help would be appreciated.

you may be able to set dsai languages in your init.sqf

The guy on the bottom right of the one picture inside the Chinook looks like Hornster from Vietcong :D

Good old times. :)

adding a bit of detail to the chinook, based on realism:

- fire extinguishers

- ammo boxes (incorrect i know but i don't have a 1000 round mega-box and armoured belt model yet)

- grenade strings and box

- handy secondary weapons (M79, LAWs and shotgun)

- water cans

- emergency radio

- spare helmet (for passengers to communicate with pilot)

- walkable deck

- ammo boxes for the cockpit XM5 grenade launcher and twin wing stub M24A1s (on gunsagogo)

ch47clutter2_zpsyggmrjt6.jpg

ch47clutter1_zps4uflojye.jpg

Interior of Guns-a-go-go

gunsagogo2_zpsufip9p9b.jpg

gunsagogo3_zpstcevdhms.jpg

gunsagogo1_zpsiqmhapna.jpg

in the slideshow below you can compare what i've built to the real thing... lots of similarity, some things i need help with though.

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/eggbeast/slideshow/Unsung/guns-a-go-go

MODEL HELP NEEDED!
. fix rear windows on gunsagogo (from interior / also viewgunner/cargo lods)
. make new wing stubs and proper m24a1s
. armoured mg belts and wall mounted ammo boxes for the mg's
. wall mounted 20mm ammo boxes in centre of hull
. add physX

any modeling volunteers willing to help bring this historical masterpiece to it's full glory?

• Like 3

Whoah! Niiiiiicee, I like it! :)

heyyy, they're gonna need a CH-46 too for charlie ;)

Hey guys! So as most of you know UNSUNG is always looking for voluntary help with modding, however just recently we lost a PR Team member who was a little essential to getting something we wanted to get up and running for a few months now, so Sgt_Savage has given me permission to also pass out advertisement that the UNSUNG team is looking for some voluntary members for the PR Team to help! So if you have decent internet and think you are for the job, please let me know anywhere (PM, Steam or Email)! If you have some modding talent and haven't contacted the team before then feel free to message me as well and I can pass you on to the team.

For more information about the specific event check out our steam announcement: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theunsungvietnamwarmod#announcements/detail/687177974210380574

Enjoy your day/night guys ;)

Leeds - beware the dreaded rkg3 lmao - that was such a funny ending. I take pride in having designed that beast for the game ( model by von knudenberg). The nva only ever used them against apc's in arma 2, but in a3 they seem to think an armor penetrating grenade will be fun to use against players too.

Looks like your unit is running ace and tfar? Any issues?

I thought it was the best part ever haha, especially that those motherfuckers were right next to us and just lobbed them up no problem; awesome intelligence. Had to make it the ending. Great design for sure. 

As for issues, we haven't had any in terms of confliction or anything. If there has been anything, it's definitely not significant and has not altered our gameplay. It's been great for us!

I appreciate you & your team, sir.

-Leedsy

heyyy, they're gonna need a CH-46 too for charlie ;)

Do you really think that having both complex model and paint kit done I will stop at CH46E only?

• Like 1