sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

No we won't be adding every single item that existed on planet Earth in 1966.  We do have an AMPLE selection of hardware for anyone to enjoy.  We generally don't entertain "hey can you add this because it was there in 1966 so I think you should add it".  So just save yourself some time and assume the answer is "no".

I dunno about this, it kind of closes the door for anyone to ask about adding flint-lock muskets because, ya'know that guy pointed one at Mel Gibson that time in Air America.

On a serious note though, I do feel that compared to the MP44, the Mauser 98K probably played a bigger (albeit still tiny) part in the Vietnam war and it does merit some consideration for being included, hopefully at some point in the future, after some of the bigger fish and been fried. That's just my take though and quite honestly the lack of said Mauser shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying this mod.

we're not asking for input on weapons inclusions.

ok huey cabin lights sorted

huey_cabin1_zpsjvsfqowc.jpg

Choctaw got the same treatment

ch34_cabin1_zpsa0alwtla.jpg

• Like 1

A concern on the cabin lights.  I know Sav likes it nice and bright... HOWEVER... what does this do for 1st person pilot view at night?  Does it still horribly reflect off of the windows making it impossible to see?  Kind of like when the wife turns on the cabin light in my car when we are driving at night?

Regarding cleanup...

- Tree cleanup...

It is somewhat tedious (that's the point right) so I/you/we need to develop either an admin actionable item "or" a server-based script that runs on occasion and has the ability to clean the entire AO of fallen trees.  This could certainly be expanded to be a 1x per map cleanup, and server based, so any MP server that DOES get rocket-spammed into a literally unplayable condition could automagically clean up trees and presto it remains playable.  This script could be shared with Unsung map makers/server admins to automate cleanup actions.

On the flip side, this could be adapted for resource management scenarios similar to Dayz where a tree can be "consumed" into a wood pile, etc.  It would be only a few more lines of code to add such a thing for those scenarios.  I'm sure the "axe" or "chain saw" features in those mods do pretty much the same thing.  I'm trying to consider how to make this something more than "just" cleanup of dead trees.

Those "invincible" trees that we love to run into... those are in the list as well.  You can remove those trees as they are encountered.  The script checks for those in a list.  This list can be expanded upon to include other trees that we wish to remove.

- Crater cleanup with the plow... 

I am still enthusiastic about the notion of "permanent" craters however it really does more for PvP if you bomb someone's airfield and they can't taxi or take off.  In the typical Arma scenario (thinking EVO maps for now) those craters are a real PITA.  Since there is no "runway cleanup script" (yet) the ability to remove these becomes very important.  Since they appear to have a very large mass, the engineer vehicle can't bulldoze them out of the way, thus the script.  Now to the point... the script checks for "class nonStrategic" which is where the craters live in the config.  This could be expanded to include houses, barricades, just about anything else is deemed necessary for demolition. 

I would like to work out how to include wreck objects so that the engineer vehicle could clear any wrecked tree, tank, etc. from strategic locations.

A concern on the cabin lights.  I know Sav likes it nice and bright... HOWEVER... what does this do for 1st person pilot view at night?  Does it still horribly reflect off of the windows making it impossible to see?  Kind of like when the wife turns on the cabin light in my car when we are driving at night?

Egg said (not on the BI Forums :P) that the lights didn't reflect off the windows ;)

Well what Egg says and what really happens isn't always the same thing :P

That will be a good thing... I like staying in 1st person when flying as much as possible.  The damn RVMAT's (the old ones) on the windows of many of the vehicles could do w/ some tweaking.  I made that new RVMAT reflect texture which severely reduces the "glare" what some say looks like a lava lamp, but haven't played with it much at night.

look at the picture above - i included the cockpit interior for that very reason!

Jonesy has just added slingloading too,

though in reality the fully armed and fueled gunships could only get off the ground with a runway, and often had the gunner/crewchief running alongside until the ship got some speed up, so let's not be picking up tanks with this ship eh.

gEDJBm9.jpg

• Like 4

Will the R3F or a version thereof be the slingload use or will the BIS slingload be used?  Now it is my understanding the slingload values in the configs won't affect 3rd party addons that provide slingload ability.  However I am unsure what is required to make the BIS slingloading work w/o any other addons?

I guess it won't matter... we'll find out soon enough :)

we're adding it for those who don't use Mando hitch like I do in my missions. personally i prefer mando.

slingloading is one of those things where they put in loads of effort to make something cool, but it's such a hassle to use that you go back to what you know works without being too distracting from gameplay.  we could put in latrines and make people go wee-wee, but fuck it, it's pointless, like slingloading with real (!) physics.

when you try to carry an m113 under the choctaw, it pulls the nose down so bad you end up speeding into a death dive...

I'd like to thank you guys for rebooting Unsung and porting content over through to Arma III. I could never hope to be as good at coding and modelling as you guys so the next best thing is to say thank you. In light of this thanks I would like to provide the Unsung team with some cake, yes it is Vietnamese cake and yes I took a slice already...:

5908191737_1bea980fdc.jpg

• Like 1

wow you took a slice that would make Mr.Greedy blush!

looks yummy though... *takes the rest*

2356954266_38316dbaea.jpg

• Like 1

tested the new STARM missile with the Thud

Note pooks awesome radar hunting scripts serving their purpose admirably.

starm_test_zpsklgb1xe1.jpg

• Like 1

That's the AGM-78, new for the mod.   Based on the RIM-66 airframe (same missile body).  Appropriate for "later" war scenarios.  The AGM-45 Shrike was proving to be unable to work for longer range SAM engagements, and so as the SAM / Wild Weasel process escalated and newer tactics (and longer ranges) were developed, the new missile was developed in response.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/agm-78.htm

Hi i know you guys already have a ton of work to do with porting everything but when you get done have you ever thought about adding units from the french indo-china war? There is literally no games or mods that cover that time period it would be awesome to have something like that

there's a mod already working on it, google arma inochine mod

there's a mod already working on it, google arma inochine mod

Oh crap thanks for telling me about this

So dynamic plane rearming now works

simply place the Unsung resources module in your mission

then place an uns_m113_ENG vehicle near your runway/ apron

when you stop your plane within 50m of it, you get an option to rearm your plane with 7 different pre-set loadouts

based on this script that i made originally 3 years ago.

if all goes well tomorrow we will also have:

- knife / melee / bayonet

- fuel cans / siphons

- inflatable life-raft for pilots

- shark repellent

- screw-on suppressor and bayonet action menus

• Like 1

... and an SA2 missile that flies at a speed that is within the limits of the known universe :)

For these action menus, are you planning on using your own configuration or are you integrating with ACE?

question: is the hand-flashlight version from arma2 Unsung mod integrated ?