sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

the amazing alpha content was built separately (while the2.6 team was resting up) by razorback and others, and did not follow our 2.6 classnames, hence the changes.

some other changes will be made due to new weapons, units and vehicles being added, legacy items being deleted, and the mass removal of the redundant suppressed mags for example.

as such, minor changes will be made to this classnames guide

re modules - we used them in 2.6

- we have a module to use bayonets, knives, melee, gas-cans, fuel siphons, dynamic aircraft rearm etc

- also there is a radio module for resupply, transport and CAS

- we may add some king of ACE wounding module, as the rest of ACE would not really be needed - then people playing the mod would not need any external stuff

- we are also looking at getting shot of the CBA requirement

Thx for sharing the roadmap eggbeast !

Is there any plan to hotfix the crash when using VC with ACE before Echo update ?

Great mod !! Thx again for bringing us such great content to Arma.

that's done already

here's another monster in the maximum security weapons development station that will NEVER see the light of day lol

monster2_zpsa5u25gpt.jpg

• Like 2

some more pics of weapons development

the trusty old m870

shotty_zps1vqqssiu.jpg

improved ironsights on the m16s

m16_3_zpsgmnulwfy.jpg

M16 with xm148 UGL

m16_5_zpsgzhkgrdo.jpg

M16 sniper weapon system - with suppressor and colt 4x scope

m16_4_zpso68dk2cu.jpg

m16 with m7 bayonet (i think we need an older model for that!)

m16_2_zpseilrhz8r.jpg

m16_1_zpsbojo2dnh.jpg

battered m40 sniper weapon system with starlite scope

m40nv_zps406u24vd.jpg

xm177 colt commando carbine with xm148 UGL

m16_6_zps4b2own11.jpg

• Like 2

and some toys for the opfor:

dac cong commandos have the heavy but heavy (!) akms with drum

ak47b6_zpsykx9irzi.jpg

folded stock - move quicker but more recoil

ak47b8_zpsp0vb5rpi.jpg

ak47b5_zpsjv26dplo.jpg

fantasy weapon - akms with pbs-1 and drum - we allowed this in for opfor pvp balancing mainly

ak47b7_zpsexsdywdv.jpg

and it's lighter counterpart

ak47b4_zps8qcufqk7.jpg

ak47/52 with 6h3 bayonet

ak47b3_zpseos6mdmr.jpg

original ak47 with sling and bayonet

ak47b2_zps8qzkwcha.jpg

ak47b1_zpsp4mxs7pb.jpg

we also have chinese type 56 and Sa58s

• Like 5

can you explain a little more what you mean by this?

what im trying to say is will all the uniforms be modeled on the arma 3 ones instead of ports from arma 2 and will the weapons be animated. or will everything be ported from arma 2?

what im trying to say is will all the uniforms be modeled on the arma 3 ones instead of ports from arma 2

i still don't follow what you mean. are you a uniform modeler? We have a lot of uniforms ported from A2.

If someone offers to make new ones, I am all ears.

In the roadmap you can see we are planning to introduce some new model soldiers that von knudenberg is developing -aiming for the charlie or delta release..

will the weapons be animated. or will everything be ported from arma 2?

the weapons are both animated and ported from arma 2. what distinction are you trying to make between the two cases?

• Like 1

ok i finally got the fulton flashlights working, using the batteries as an "accessory."

you get 3 types of accessory containing a battery and lens combo - green, red or clear lens with BA30 battery.

they need toning down a bit in brightness/ clarity and the position of the light is off,

but without an open sample of the BIS flashlight accessory i'm absolutely stuffed trying to find out how it works

you can't seem to modify any of the inheritances within the flashlight accessory, and all the types of lens models i've tried to make, with flash and flash dir mem points do nothing in game.  only a direct use of the BIS accessory seems to work.  very weird behaviour.

green

green1_zpsxufiuqvy.jpg

clear

wht1_zpsgbqvex05.jpg

suppressed m1911/ mx991 combo comes with red lens as standard, though it is still swappable,

red1_zpskxzkvhnk.jpg

i still don't follow what you mean. are you a uniform modeler? We have a lot of uniforms ported from A2.

If someone offers to make new ones, I am all ears.

In the roadmap you can see we are planning to introduce some new model soldiers that von knudenberg is developing -aiming for the charlie or delta release..

the weapons are both animated and ported from arma 2. what distinction are you trying to make between the two cases?

It sounds to me he's asking "will you make new, high quality content from scratch, or will it suck like A2".  That's what I'm reading in-between the lines here.  So to answer that interpretation, "No, Yes".  LOL

I find it humorous that people think that more polygons = higher grade content.  I wish people understood 3D modeling better.  All those uninformed questions would go away if they did.  However I may be misunderstanding the question.

It's awesome how quickly this project is coming along! Great work!

it's because pook scared away a lot of the trolls, so we have nothing better to do than work on the damned mod

• Like 2

clearly my comments are not coming across clear. i don't want to put this across as rude but why port all of arma 2 content into arma 3 when you can remodel some of the stuff like uniforms surely you could try to remodel the arma 3 AAF uniform to make it into a USA OR NVA NAM uniform i mean i aint a modder so i don't know how hard it is to do that.as for the weapons there's a guy who made the HLC weapons and they are top notch his AK47 pack are very very well made you should get in touch with him. hopefully he'll help you out with this. i really love unsung i spent most of my time playing this mod in arma 2,but this is arma 3 we should be seeing improved stuff going into the mod with the arma 3 content. Im just giving ideas this probably won't happen just trying to give you guys some ideas. 

You guys are doing the work of saints. Boozed up saints that is, but good work nonetheless.

i mean i aint a modder so i don't know how hard it is

No, no you don't.  ;)

it's because pook scared away a lot of the trolls, so we have nothing better to do than work on the damned mod

I've ran out of fucks to give.  :D

either lend a hand, or quit you belly-achin' - we ain't got time for no stinking new ideas....goddamn FNG's. grab your rifle son, and get your ass back on the line. effin rear echelon pukes...

surely you could try to remodel the arma 3 AAF uniform to make it into a USA OR NVA NAM uniform

Right time for some history facts... The uniform that the AAF uses ingame is modeld after modernworld uniforms. Vietnam era is a loooong time ago 1 november 1955 till 30 april 1975. the end of the vietnam war as you can see is over 40 years ago... you migt need to think that they decided to change uniform rather often from that time on.....

VC where mostly just civi's with weapons so they wear the common clothes of that time (so giving them an modern units fatigue would just be straight wierd >.>)

NVA was using this mostly

7316489_1.jpg?v=8C9D28FC8874590

Like seriously they looked like they had ravaged abandoned japanese barracks after the second world war so giving them AAF uniforms would make them like the aliens....

So the uniforms that they have are bloody awesome as they represent the official gear worn by the factions in that time. (Also try finding AAF uniforms with bloody bushes on their back or rice paddy hats in the AAF arsenal you won't find those awesome pieces of equipment there!)

There would be multiple issues with retextureing the AAF Officer Uniform (which would be the only one remotely applicable).

For one, "remodeling" a BIS A3 uniform means de-binning it. We cannot do that, it's against the A3 EULA.

Secondly, A simple retexture would have problems such as improper normal and specular maps, meaning we'd have to make our own from scratch (again, this is difficult without a pre-existing hi-poly model from which an Ambient Occlusion map already exists), as we don't have the A3 Hi-poly models.

Finally, while the AAF officer uniform does look like it uses an M65 jacket, There are probably a number of things on there that are out of era.

We are capable of, and most-likely will retexture (and MAYBE remodel some of) our own uniforms with higher resolution textures. Until then, you can deal with what we have. We're working on getting everything from A2 working in A3 first before we do much of anything new. However, don't worry, we have collected a backlog of new models.

• Like 1

clearly my comments are not coming across clear. i don't want to put this across as rude but why port all of arma 2 content into arma 3 when you can remodel some of the stuff like uniforms surely you could try to remodel the arma 3 AAF uniform to make it into a USA OR NVA NAM uniform i mean i aint a modder so i don't know how hard it is to do that.as for the weapons there's a guy who made the HLC weapons and they are top notch his AK47 pack are very very well made you should get in touch with him. hopefully he'll help you out with this. i really love unsung i spent most of my time playing this mod in arma 2,but this is arma 3 we should be seeing improved stuff going into the mod with the arma 3 content. Im just giving ideas this probably won't happen just trying to give you guys some ideas. 

I think it takes years to start from scratch with the quantity and quality of content of the project, taking into account that the community benefits from the work of these guys who sacrifice free time to give, without expecting anything in return, new content ... well i think we should just thank and patiently wait for them to share their progress.

ok todays efforts have yielded:

All scopes now working properly - thanks fook -took me ages

Stoners completed inc drum version resurrected, animated bipod, ammo belt, bayonet and sling (Eugene would be proud)

SLR now has correctly folded carrying handle, and better sight alignment

many weapons now have their slings back from 2.5 (we lost many of them in 2,6)

Added M40 camo version - but having trouble getting it to show up on the rifle.

Leaf sight animated on the Stoner, but again - not working properly yet

SLR handle animated but doesnt seem to work

so all in all, a lot of animation frustration, and i'm now onto the BAR and m60.

some pics of progress:

stoner1_zpseumfpkoh.jpg

stoner2_zpstke1ojgc.jpg

stoner3_zpsn72vbvyh.jpg

stoner5_zpsu1wqii03.jpg

stoner7_zpsatiavovo.jpg

stoner4_zpsnfbsz43d.jpg

stoner6_zpspzfxg8nj.jpg

• Like 3

G'day Eggbeast,

Your weapons are looking great. Looking forward to the Bravo release. You and the team are doing a great job. Please keep it up.

• Like 2

thanks mate

we are so close to a test build right now, i just need to do the rpk, rpd, pk, mg42, m60, bar and dp-28. then the rpgs, SA7 and LAW.

once the heavy personal weapons are configged and working i can then rebuild the vehicle mg's, the cannons, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, spgs, mortars and arty weapons for A3

last is the aircraft and heli weapons - tetet has ported the bombs, rockets and missiles, and pook has ported his sa2 - i need to do the mg and cannon weapons for these.

once they are done, we can spawn in any unit or vehicle that is ready, so we will start hosting a private test server to iron out any really bad bugs - like some of the grenades just stick in the air next to you and explode in your face for example!

in bravo test phase we can start dropping in a lot more vehicles every few days, as they come on stream for testing.

when we will reach public release after this is hard to say, as it really depends on the test results.

I am hoping end of march or maybe sooner. so an easter release is likely.

Several of the team have long term illnesses, some are moving house right now, others are on R&R from overseas deployments - so we have a very small and intermittent crew working on this. For the next development stage we really need a motivated and experienced modeler/ model converter who can do UV maps on blank 3ds models,

On behalf of the older team members i'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Tetet, Razorback, and devilslayerbane for getting so much kit into alpha and then into the new bravo.  Without their inspiring work we wouldn't have even started this, as it is too much labour given the nightmares inherent in the new engine we are porting into.

A special THANK YOU also to Von knudenberg and Crash for helping port the new models, hcpookie for tearing his mind on the jagged shards of PhysX, Sgt Savage for his diligent and thoroughly boring work converting all of the sounds to A3 versions, and Kable for supplying us with new weapon models, paid for out of his own pocket - a hugely generous gift, and one that is motivating me enormously to work for hours on end fixing model bugs in our vast array of weapons that we had already fixed in 2.6 (arma 2) but sadly/stupidly lost due to the scale of the project, and not keeping our bases covered (none of us noticed we were not keeping mlods of improved models, only binned stuff.)

A special thank you also to wld427 for donating a range of excellent models to the project, despite his justifiable dislike for Arma 3 as a modding platform.  We will be bringing in his Bofors 37mm AAA, his quad barrel Zpu-4 AAA, D20 artillery and several new russian bomb models.  He is hopefully coming to help test bravo, so we may convince him that A3 has some merits now! (It has been a pig's ear/ dog's breakfast for years, much like DayZ SA)

Columdrum is also back, and helping to fix up DSAI (without using CBA) so those pesky NVA will not be shouting farsi at you any more.

NightIntruder has also given us several new models for the carrier fleet, and Tetet is busy working over the actual carrier, making it into the shiny new home for all our WAFUs.

Anyway, it's a blast right now, and we're making heaps of progress. Can I just say now, once we do release bravo, DO NOT EXPECT all the shiny new features and innovations to be in there (like working bayonets etc), as these are the next layer, and will be worked through for the CHARLIE release.

We still need than chinook converting from BIS model to Guns-a-gogo, so if anyone has porting experience, and can use blender, then ffs get in contact!! it's a peach of a project (one several of us would love to do but we have more tedious conversion work to do in the main mod).  we have the models, the sounds, the config and the know-how - just not the TIME.

• Like 2