sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

Few new updates :

We are happy to announce we have a new member joining our team Londo . He is a terrain map maker and is currently working on a map of Khe Sanh , Which will include the Khe Sanh combat base, Lang Vie Sf camp and even includes the boarder area of Laos !! As soon as he releases some screenshots I will post them here :)

Also Bigstone has stepped down as lead dev to spend more time with his family. And I have once again been asked to step in as Project Lead. I want to thank bigstone for all the hard work, leadership and time he has given to bring the mod into Arma 3. The alpha is a testament to his time as lead dev and I hope that he returns to the team in some capacity soon :)

But for now its business as usual.

The team is making really good head way with our weapon arsenal , with new models being added by eggbeast and Von Knudenberg with updated custom stereo sounds as we push toward our bravo release.Tetet has been working very hard to bring our aircraft into game and Razorback is back into map making again, this time centered around doung island in the rung sat area.  

Pookie has also been hard at work porting and fixing his m113 fleet. Physx has sent him grey and mad ... but has got them in game and working well, still needs weapons and testing..

that's about it for now.. more to come soon

We are still seeking need help to move forward so anybody with config , texture or modding experience please contact Eggbeast or Myself ...

Sav

• Like 5

Pookie has also been hard at work porting and fixing his m113 fleet. Physx has sent him grey and mad ... but has got them in game and working well, still needs weapons and testing..

Poor Pookie, sounds like he needs a hug :D

if there are any modelers out there looking for a quick and clean job - porting the BIS CH47, retrofitting it, and then adding the guns-agogo arsenal - is a pretty straightforward job you could help with - PM me, but please only if you have demonstrable experience working with BIS samples.

Few new updates :

We are happy to announce we have a new member joining our team Londo . He is a terrain map maker and is currently working on a map of Khe Sanh , Which will include the Khe Sanh combat base, Lang Vie Sf camp and even includes the boarder area of Laos !! As soon as he releases some screenshots I will post them here :)

Also Bigstone has stepped down as lead dev to spend more time with his family. And I have once again been asked to step in as Project Lead. I want to thank bigstone for all the hard work, leadership and time he has given to bring the mod into Arma 3. The alpha is a testament to his time as lead dev and I hope that he returns to the team in some capacity soon :)

But for now its business as usual.

The team is making really good head way with our weapon arsenal , with new models being added by eggbeast with updated custom stereo sounds as we push toward our bravo release.Tetet has been working very hard to bring our aircraft into game and Razorback is back into map making again, this time centered around doung island in the rung sat area.  

that's about it for now.. more to come soon

We are still seeking need help to move forward so anybody with config , texture or modding experience please contact Eggbeast or Myself ...

Sav

Outstanding stuff guys cannot wait :)

Bigstone, sorry to see you go, thanks for your part in bringing Unsung to A3.

Savage, welcome back as Project Lead, A2 Unsung 2.6 is the very best A2 mod made.

Khe Sanh and Rung Sat, that is some very diverse terrain, I look forward to seeing some screen shots in the future.

Poor Pookie, sounds like he needs a hug :D

I need a stiff drink!  :D

My problem with PhysX stuff is that it makes ZERO sense for most of the vehicles.  If this were a high-end race car sim, sure, all those little things would be great.  However.  Using the A2 stuff as-is, it all works EXCEPT for the engine noises (like my SAM pack).  You want engine noises?  NOW you have to MATH the different settings, adjust the geometry mass, tweak all the wheels' values so the physx engine knows how to make them act like they acted previously.  So really we are LITERALLY re-inventing the wheel! 

I've been told much of this is copy/paste from other places, however that has not been my experience.  No samples or no instructions explain basics.  Much of the documentation is "experiment with the values".  Yep.  Try different things until it works.  That's the documentation.  Say what you will about software developers, but they are notorious for poor documentation.  A classic developer sin.  And for the copy/paste portion... well.  Every time I copy and paste things for similar vehicles the values simply. don't. work.  Maybe I'm just that dumb that I can't figure it out.  Maybe I'm missing a key piece of a configuration that borks everything I touch.  I don't know.... no documentation!  :)  However it seems like I have been able to successfully model a few things in the past, so I can't completely rule out that my religious adherence to the "instructions" is the cause of my issues.

Now all that is just to get one model to work.  Multiply all of that times the different models and you'll start to see how frustrating it can be.  If this were a high-end offroad truck sim, all the new values and stuff would probably be helpful.  However just show me how to make a freaking truck of 20,000 mass not only sit level on land, but what are the basic values that this truck needs for its 4/6/8 wheels.  Show me a sample config that works so I don't have to "do the math and test until it works". 

It takes 5-15 minutes to simply compile the models into a PBO, and it takes longer as time goes by.  So that tells me the tool might have a memory leak, since rebooting appears to fix the issue.  Poor code in the tool?  Unknown.  The A2 tools compile in no time at all, just a few minutes at most.  However they don't do physx geometry so they are out.  But they do show errors that the new tools do not!  Logging is difficult to understand in the new tools, so finding errors and typo's are more difficult than before.  So if I try to fix something, I have literally 10-15 minutes in-between test loops to redo the config/model/etc, recompile, reload the game and retest.  Still borked?  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Ad nauseum...

Need I go on?  I now understand why many of the cool modellers in A2 have disappeared from the forums.  Its a different world in A3.  "BUT ITS A NEW ENGINE" you'll say.  Fine, but the model structure etc. is still based on the A2 models.

And what about compatibility.  If "somebody" were to have made a \CA\blah "compatibility" download, all 13GB of it, all of the \CA references in the free-to-download sample models would have evaporated.  CUP would not be necessary as the models would only have needed compiling and physx tweaks.  Put that "compat patch" on steam so people can d\l if they wish.  AiA and CUP would have already been complete.  However that was probably done deliberately for non-technical decisions.  Regardless, it means that every. single. texture. and RVMAT we depend upon now has to be re-done for the new content.  Find and replace stuff.  Proxies for bombs.  Proxies for MG blasts.  Proxies for people... all are a bit "off" and no longer seem to work "out of the box".  I have had to hand-jam the proxies even a little bit for most of the vehicles because now the driver anim is off slightly, or the gunner is no longer directly behind the gun so aim is slightly off from A2.  Huge time suck. 

Yep all this gets me fired up.  Severely hampers production for something I consider a HOBBY.  But hey in the end we are making all of this for free, no one has to pay us for this content.  AND LIKE BITCHES, WE KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE!  

I can't wait for Titan IM to release.  I'm sure it will have its own unique set of issues but it will be a welcome change!!!!      :)     http://titanim.net/www/

Edit to add... see, this is why I shouldn't post while I'm having my morning coffee... I end up typing a novel LOL

• Like 1

Outstanding stuff guys cannot wait :)

Why don't you come over to the winning side and help us bring it home for the big win!

I need a stiff drink!  :D

My problem with PhysX stuff is that it makes ZERO sense for most of the vehicles.  If this were a high-end race car sim, sure, all those little things would be great.  However.  Using the A2 stuff as-is, it all works EXCEPT for the engine noises (like my SAM pack).  You want engine noises?  NOW you have to MATH the different settings, adjust the geometry mass, tweak all the wheels' values so the physx engine knows how to make them act like they acted previously.  So really we are LITERALLY re-inventing the wheel! 

I've been told much of this is copy/paste from other places, however that has not been my experience.  No samples or no instructions explain basics.  Much of the documentation is "experiment with the values".  Yep.  Try different things until it works.  That's the documentation.  Say what you will about software developers, but they are notorious for poor documentation.  A classic developer sin.  And for the copy/paste portion... well.  Every time I copy and paste things for similar vehicles the values simply. don't. work.  Maybe I'm just that dumb that I can't figure it out.  Maybe I'm missing a key piece of a configuration that borks everything I touch.  I don't know.... no documentation!  :)  However it seems like I have been able to successfully model a few things in the past, so I can't completely rule out that my religious adherence to the "instructions" is the cause of my issues.

Now all that is just to get one model to work.  Multiply all of that times the different models and you'll start to see how frustrating it can be.  If this were a high-end offroad truck sim, all the new values and stuff would probably be helpful.  However just show me how to make a freaking truck of 20,000 mass not only sit level on land, but what are the basic values that this truck needs for its 4/6/8 wheels.  Show me a sample config that works so I don't have to "do the math and test until it works". 

It takes 5-15 minutes to simply compile the models into a PBO, and it takes longer as time goes by.  So that tells me the tool might have a memory leak, since rebooting appears to fix the issue.  Poor code in the tool?  Unknown.  The A2 tools compile in no time at all, just a few minutes at most.  However they don't do physx geometry so they are out.  But they do show errors that the new tools do not!  Logging is difficult to understand in the new tools, so finding errors and typo's are more difficult than before.  So if I try to fix something, I have literally 10-15 minutes in-between test loops to redo the config/model/etc, recompile, reload the game and retest.  Still borked?  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Ad nauseum...

Need I go on?  I now understand why many of the cool modellers in A2 have disappeared from the forums.  Its a different world in A3.  "BUT ITS A NEW ENGINE" you'll say.  Fine, but the model structure etc. is still based on the A2 models.

And what about compatibility.  If "somebody" were to have made a \CA\blah "compatibility" download, all 13GB of it, all of the \CA references in the free-to-download sample models would have evaporated.  CUP would not be necessary as the models would only have needed compiling and physx tweaks.  Put that "compat patch" on steam so people can d\l if they wish.  AiA and CUP would have already been complete.  However that was probably done deliberately for non-technical decisions.  Regardless, it means that every. single. texture. and RVMAT we depend upon now has to be re-done for the new content.  Find and replace stuff.  Proxies for bombs.  Proxies for MG blasts.  Proxies for people... all are a bit "off" and no longer seem to work "out of the box".  I have had to hand-jam the proxies even a little bit for most of the vehicles because now the driver anim is off slightly, or the gunner is no longer directly behind the gun so aim is slightly off from A2.  Huge time suck. 

Yep all this gets me fired up.  Severely hampers production for something I consider a HOBBY.  But hey in the end we are making all of this for free, no one has to pay us for this content.  AND LIKE BITCHES, WE KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE!  

I can't wait for Titan IM to release.  I'm sure it will have its own unique set of issues but it will be a welcome change!!!!      :)     http://titanim.net/www/

Edit to add... see, this is why I shouldn't post while I'm having my morning coffee... I end up typing a novel LOL

Wow I cannot imagine the stress of the whole situation. Personally all that comes to mind is just a few things:

- "Shh it's ok Pookie I'm here for you..."

- "Let it out m8, you gotta get it outta your system."

and finally...

gN14Fnlh.jpg

but seriously I'm guessing if this is what you're going through I can't even begin to comprehend what all the others devs are going through, probably the same thing!

if this is what you're going through I can't even begin to comprehend what all the others devs are going through, probably the same thing!

And people wonder why sometimes we crack when demands are made and when repeatedly asked how much longer, are we there yet ? My kids act like that on a long trip. Any parent knows how frustrating it can be  :P  Anyway :)

Like always we focus on quality over quantity... Our mod is simply not just compiling bits n pieces from pre-released sources then slapped together and stuck with sticky tape like others done in the past and continue to do ... This is why it takes a lot longer for our releases.

well, as we trawl through the weapons, slowly, so slowly, I thought i'd post and update of design decisions we've been making, so you have some clue as to what to expect in bravo release.

the process

here's an outline, a bit like pooks vehicle woes, of what is being done to bring you the fully formed vietnam era arsenal, from 2.6, with some additional extras.

animation 101

ok firstly, we have weapons models from various sources (thanks vilas! thanks von knudenberg! thanks pook! thanks BIS! thanks kable! thanks razorback! etc etc) plus the older unsung 2.5 stuff.

Now, a lot of these weapons are missing model.cfg's so they have no record of any working animations. In Arma 2 unsung 2.6, in terms of configs we worked exclusively with binarized models, so we never saw a model.cfg for any of the weapons.  In A3, we need to add attachment proxies, replace muzzleflashes, add new features such as bipod and weapon resting, fire selector animations, etc etc.  And bring the models up to scratch, so adding in bolt and trigger animations etc, that were missing on some weapons.

afraid of attachments

ok so next up, any weapon with a scope, UGL, bipod or suppressor needs to be stripped back to a basic weapon, and then the attachments need to be rebuilt to A3 standards.  This includes hunting down all the modeloptics for the scopes, setting in place new memory points for the ironsight eye,cqb and optic view points.  The bipod legs need correct selection naming and memory points adding etc. All of these new attachments need configs, model.cfgs and pictures for the menu.  In addition we are adding bayonets, and thinking about separable UGL's and rifle grenades (for later releases)

to bin or not to bin

Some of our models are so ancient, or obscure that we only have the binned form.  To keep it in the mod, we are having to debinarize the model, then reseal all of its points, replace all the selections and rebuild it's mapping.  Not a small task, even for a lowly grenade, When it gets to the size and complexity of a truck or plane, well... then we're talking a LOT of work.

too big for your boots

ok when we did testing last time, we found the file-sharing process was having problems with the size of some of the pbo's.  Some systems like PWS don't like big filesizes apparently, and they can time out repeatedly on some people, which can be frustrating for them, and slows down our testing if they are a vital team member.  Plus you don't want to have to re-download a 150mb pbo just for a minor config change. So we have split the folders this time around, so for example the weapons are set up like this:

uns_weap_c    =    config

uns_weap_a    =    handanims

uns_weap_s    =    sounds

uns_weap_w    =    west/blufor models, textures and rvmats

uns_weap_e    =    east/opfor models, textures and rvmats

also, coming from so many different sources many of the weapons had menu pictures, rvmats and textures in all kinds of different folders, some in /rvmat or /mat or /tex or /data or in the root folder with the model.  A lot of them use BIS bases like m16_ironsights.rvmat and lo and behold we have 5 copies of this magical material property lurking in all kinds of out-of-the-way places. So we've had a reorg and moved all of the weapons into their new homes with a simple /data and /ico folder in each one, and removed a lot of duplicated content.

are you shittin me?

Ok now for the really painful part, so some of our weapons in 2.6 may not have been realistic.  yes, that's on me - I added in a xm177 with suppressor and starlite scope. this may have been configured once in a SOG camp, over a few warm beers but is unlikely to have ever gone into the field.  We also had an MG42 with a modern MG3 box on the side of it. Wit hthe advent of new attachment possibilities, it could cause a spate of unreality (not unlike a CIA field test to see if LSD will improve the aggressiveness of the common soldier) and we might see droves of players milling about with their M16s resplendent with the full Sniper Program kit (starlite or ART, and suppressor) plus an experimental UGL and maybe even a bipod and bayonet.  So that's not gonna happen!  We're having the construct the attachment inheritances quite carefully, so that only real weapons can be crafted, and if you do opt for the rare-as-hens-teeth-BUT-valid M16 Sniper Program assembly, you will find the mass and inertia cause you to rethink your charlie charge.

We do have some new assemblies coming your way, including:

Remington model 700 sniper rifle, with options: Redfield ART, starlite, suppressor

Winchester model 70 sniper rifle, with options: Unertl 8x, starlite, suppressor

M1 Garand with options: 2x scope, bayonet, rifle grenade

Plus plans for:

Animated Battle sights and leaf sights on BAR, M63a LMG, M60

Animated bipods on all relevant weapons

Animated folding stocks on relevant weapons when unequipped.

Working bayonets on many weapons including animated ones on sks and type56

Rifle grenades on several rifles

Sounds good?

At the end of all this, we load up our shiny new gun box, whip out a fearsome looking chicom carbine and bang away... or not.  None of the sounds from arma 2 work properly in A3.  So we have to rebuild all of the modes for the rifle (we have single, auto and 5 different ranged AI modes in our weapons, which gives a rich experience, as AI weapons sounds and firing patterns are modified by incremental range changes).  Now each AI mode and player firing mode needs its sounds remixing from mono to stereo.  Add the tails sounds for 5 different environments, and you have:

(up to 3 standard sounds + up to 3 suppressed sounds + 5 tails sounds) x (up to 7 modes) = up to 77 soundfiles to remix PER WEAPON.  Andwe have what 100+ weapons? However we are looking at ways and means to reduce this ridiculous load.

Suffice it to say full sound re-engineering may not be complete until charlie release.

Are we there yet?

So you may be wondering when-the-fook will you be getting your grubby hands on all this fabulous stuff?  Well, once the weapons are done, the units and vehicles need a quick polish to remove any unsavoury deleted weapon classnames, then a little bit of addition to add in the new classes for use by selected troops (it's xmas for scouts and snipers), and then we can finally load up the bravo mod for a run-through in private.  we wouldn't want you all to be disappointed by opening your present to find it has no batteries, and all the instructions are in korean, oh and the screen is cracked, and the bipod fell off.

hang in there, it's gonna be fun.

• Like 5

Sounds like a huge amount of work eggbeast. Enough to wonder why you guys put yourselves through it? (fun of playing an authentic Vietnam era mod, satisfaction of doing it, enjoying modding I suppose is the answer).

I appreciate that the team released the Alpha to give us a taste of what's to come.

Sounds like a huge amount of work eggbeast. Enough to wonder why you guys put yourselves through it? (fun of playing an authentic Vietnam era mod, satisfaction of doing it, enjoying modding I suppose is the answer).

I appreciate that the team released the Alpha to give us a taste of what's to come.

We enjoy the shits and giggles when were all on playing together, and watching the FNG's do somthing dumb and they die within the first 2 minutes of playing in the jungle, and raiding thier backpacks when they are under fire for 40mm nades, and to put a large amount of watches and maps in eggbeats backpack, when he is called away for R&R.

Hello everyone! So the UNSUNG PR team needs your input. If you have a question to ask the devs, send it to me via pm. Logistically speaking, we've been working hard to give you guys new outlets to stay up to date with the mod. We have some other things in the works so be ready.

• Like 1

I have my own dedicated server. I have the map; however, I cannot find any mission files/mods. I cannot run the map without a mission file. Thoughts? Thanks, in advance for the time!

We enjoy the shits and giggles when were all on playing together, and watching the FNG's do somthing dumb and they die within the first 2 minutes of playing in the jungle, and raiding thier backpacks when they are under fire for 40mm nades, and to put a large amount of watches and maps in eggbeats backpack, when he is called away for R&R.

Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?!?

It's a hard-ball world, son!  We've got to try to keep our heads until this Peace craze blows over!

I have my own dedicated server. I have the map; however, I cannot find any mission files/mods. I cannot run the map without a mission file. Thoughts? Thanks, in advance for the time!

try the missions on the downloads page of the website

http://armanam.eu/downloads.html

or search on armaholic, pws or steam for unsung / arma 3

Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?!?

It's a hard-ball world, son!  We've got to try to keep our heads until this Peace craze blows over!

lol still makes me laugh that clip,

Well I finished the sound upmix of the weapon shot , reload and dry sounds in ohhh about 10 man hours :huh:

I'm gonna go lay down and cry :cry2: 

I'm gonna go lay down and cry :cry2:

Sav, I'm gonna give you some advice.

(this is a joke between me and sav)

Still waiting for #AskUnsung questions. If you have them, ask here, or pm me, sav, or nakkas.

the process

here's an outline, a bit like pooks vehicle woes, of what is being done to bring you the fully formed vietnam era arsenal, from 2.6, with some additional extras

Thanks for shedding some light on what happens behind-the-scenes, interesting read for sure. I've always been somewhat fascinated about modding in general, but never really took the time to try and get into it. A Good read this, not sure I want to get into any of that anymore :lol: . I admire your long lasting dedication and enthusiasm towards Arma and want to Thank You for contributing to fellow gamers.

Nikander

try the missions on the downloads page of the website

http://armanam.eu/downloads.html

or search on armaholic, pws or steam for unsung / arma 3

Tried it. I have the Mod and I am ready as a regular user; however, I am trying to run UNSUNG on my server. The Mod is recognize as a Mod but, I can't run the map without a mission file on Server.cfg. Specifically, the map wants to load as a map then it will not due to no missions file. I cannot find anything on the net. Hope that helps. Again, Thank you for any assistance. FYI-The Uniform mod that I can run looks KILLER. Thank you UNSUNG Team!

Example::

class Mission1

template="BMR_Insurgency_v1_44.Zargabad";

Red is a mission file-Green is a Map file (I need a mission file to run on my dedicated server)

I feel you bro, i've been at the exact same situation. Trying to figure out what does what is difficult and in some cases impossible (due to "BI" implementation that differs from original Nvidia way).

For the time-waste-problem: Use arma3diag.exe (not sure if it's in stable branch, but it's definitely in dev-branch) when you want to edit physx. Without it i would have thrown the towel entirely. I started when this wasn't available and i took 2 weeks to get a fucking tank to move. You can modify a config while arma3diag is running, and merge the changes into the running game. All you need to do after that is to spawn a new vehicle, to have your changes ingame.

Also, the EPEVehicle status window is the only way to at least somehow debug it, it's invaluable.

But yes, the fundamental problem of the physx thing is that you have to trial&error everything. There is no way to gauge beforehand what results you will get. If we would know all the code that issue would be solvable, by doing some excel macro stuff or some simple Multi Body Simulation setup via OpenModelica. But since we do not know how BI implemented the physx specific, and what other stupid stuff they did (i.e. they changed base friction because of poor AI code), there's just no way. Also, the physx vehicle code in general is not very good, particulary not for heavy vehicles. I've found more then one case of physically impossible behaviour  (i.e. vehicle beeing faster then engine rpm would permit on flat terrain and accelerating...)

If you have any specific problem you can poke me

Example::

class Mission1
template="BMR_Insurgency_v1_44.Zargabad";
Red is a mission file-Green is a Map file (I need a mission file to run on my dedicated server)

class Mission1
template="CO_22_Evolution_nam_v1.DaKrong";

ok here's the first working bayonet animation - only took me about2 weeks of head scratching

sks_bayo1_zpsztaafrdj.jpg

• Like 3

Has anybody found an ingenious way to get AI to pass over a rice paddy dam and into a rice paddy field? AI can't seem to find a path through at this stage