sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

One you need to see it wasent me asking it was a suggestion at first were one of your devs sayed ya ill ask them.

you jumped on and tryed to shoot it down.

theirs photo evidence it was used my marines as savage says.

the fact im saying is you say it wasent used while we have proof it was that picks not from a game.

the helio thing well i mean it helped because like planes in ww1 did they would jam due to the belt jamming or a bullet would go cockeyed.

for my sentences sorry but i am aggravated to because  this was a friendly suggestion until you started attacking the idea.

and you never answered would you teach me a 16 year old to model if so, the requst you hate getting every second would go to me and i could try my best to do it.

and as you say you wont reply to me then send a link or tell me someone who can tell me how to model i can help and i want to help i just need to be told how i am a quick learner and i am sorry for bothering you but thats a good offer right.

i take the ideas people have and i try and make them for you if you like then you take if not hen i keep working on them.

If i learn how to and i make this for you can i join you

We can't be bothered working on every. single. thing. that existed in the mid-60's.  It simply. won't. happen.  I can't be more clear.  We appreciate enthusiasm but all the "interesting but rare" things are things we can't even think about being close to even considering.  We on the team (yes WE) are too busy replying to "will you make this in the mod" questions than actually working on the mod.

Couldn't care less if a belt-fed chute was built to work w/ a backpack in the 1960's.  As I've said before these innovations have existed as long as people have been creative.  However the jungles weren't filled wall-to-wall with "terminator bots" full of belt-fed backpack goodness.  Regardless of what AHNOLD movies would imply ;)  And if I have my way none of that BS will make it into the mod, period.  But who knows... our team effort might eventually find time to add these curiosities.  For now they will remain in the realm of "interesting but remote".

We don't need people joining to build "pet project" items.  We need people to join to help doing the "hard labor" work to convert the multiple GB's worth of content to work in the game.  Much more boring than making some "special thing", but much more important.  We wish to be complete before 2018, but at the rate we are going it is doubtful!  :)  If you are serious about joining to help, we welcome extra hands!  We are up to our eyeballs trying to get the basic set of content working correctly.

• Like 1

Chas, learning to model takes weeks to get the basics and years to do at the level required here. Do not expect anyone to teach you anything, if you really want to learn it you will seek out tutorials, go and buy the required software and teach yourself.

The unsung team are already using all of their free time to build the mod, the more you distract them with rants about rejected ideas, the longer it will take them to do their work.

These guys have been modding Arma for 10 years now, they know exactly what they are doing and how to do it extremely well. They refused your suggestion, so your angry I get it... but flaming them here is most certainly going to reflect badly on you if you make any more suggestions in the future.

Be smart, think ahead, be respectful.

I'm not saying the backpack was a rejected idea. I'm saying "I" would reject it but I'm not the final word ;)   I hesitate to add one-off ideas into the mod because people will inevitably load missions with dozens of backpack-laden soldier-bots and it will start to look like Terminator instead of Vietnam  LOL

As you state we are pretty busy, hell we have GB's worth of crap to get working and just taking at random a vehicle (things I normally convert), one vehicle can easily take 40 hours of work.  If there are variations, those can take extra time as well, but some is copy/paste.  Balance that around Real Life and you see how problematic it is to bring in such a large amount of content all-at-once because the touch-labor involved in tweaking every. single. damn. detail is a huge time-suck!  So debating the finer points of whether something is a good fit or not to add into the mod is usually done internally.  Making something new isn't just making a few triangles in the editor and assigning them a texture.

And SD "is" part of the mod team, in case anyone hasn't figured that out by now ;)

this is that site i linked the team too a while back. i am hoping to develop some of these over time.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2724

we've already added the ruger and walther ppk suppressed pistols, based on this document.

note they also mention the backpack mg.

as for chas dissing souldrinker, i think you should take it easy mate and not get too into the discussion once you have made your post. 

that way you avoid getting on our wrong side.

stay positive and supportive! enjoy the mod.

let that be an end to it.

ok chas that's you out pls don't come back in our TS, invitation withdrawn.

so ya you banned me when he started harrsing me why

what did i do to make you mad he made fun of me 

So why dose he get to harras me and he gets to make fun of me with no consaqence his thing sayed he was a new comer didint it

Also what invite i was told to fuck off last time i was on the server witch is not on unsung its the wrong mission i love this mod and you egg you are a great dev but why are comments hated on all i asked about was this mg then im getting attacked after even savge agreed with me

If you understood the flood of requests we receive in relation to items or equipment we "should make/use" you would be as easily disgruntled as i am. I'm not here to appease the likes of someone who can't even form basic words or a decent sentence structure i am here to help make something that costs you absolutely nothing and something that the community as a whole can enjoy. No need to reply to this as i certainly won't be replying to you.

Am i not right to be offended when he makes fun of me 
Egg i mean no offence to you and idk why you banned me after i just sayed i didnit know he was a dev when we talked because he had no rank or tabs. P;us its aggravting when some one after telling you your wrong and then makes fun of your typing is kinda agrevationg or am i in the wrong if so sorry and ill shut up but even savage looked the gun up and sayed it was used

As i sayed sorry if i am wrong please dont kick me out because a suggestion went out of hand. If needed ill stop posting i just really want to play with you guys because it actully fun

Can i be told what i did i stopped when you aked and i even thanked you when you help the idea out with more photo evidance

this is that site i linked the team too a while back. i am hoping to develop some of these over time.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2724

we've already added the ruger and walther ppk suppressed pistols, based on this document.

note they also mention the backpack mg.

as for chas dissing souldrinker, i think you should take it easy mate and not get too into the discussion once you have made your post. 

that way you avoid getting on our wrong side.

stay positive and supportive! enjoy the mod.

let that be an end to it.

Ok ill stop the disscusion please dont kick me out when i just wanted to help

Well, let me set it all straight so we can all take a big breath and "Wooosa!!"

@ Chas Gate, mate I said I like the idea and wanted to see it in game i understand what you were getting at :) .... I will not go into the comments of my team mates but please understand they are under a lot of pressure to get this all working . They are frustrated that all the blood, sweat and tears we put into version 2.6 to future proof the mod ,  only to find out that most of it has to be completely redone "Properly" to get it to work in Arma 3.

We are working off a trial and error basis since limited or no documentation exists to assist the guys how Arma 3 works. To make an addon is hard, but doing a complete conversion mod is a very daunting task ... Please don't take it personal we are bombarded daily with requests which sometimes can be demanding for new content and the famous "are we there yet ? How much longer " posts here and there really grates on some of the team members.

Soon however , this may all change as the PR team is putting together an "Open house" mod . Which means there will be open video streams and commentary by the Devs showing how and what we are working on and doing. It might give an insight into how involved it is to bring the mod to arma 3. We will have Q&A sections too so all ideas, questions etc can be answered.So we are really looking forward to opening the doors so to speak ;)

Also we hope to host tournaments as we bring together clans from all over the Armaverse pitted against each other with live feeds for the public to watch as they battle each other in the jungles. Cause hey its easy to nail someone at 500 meters in the desert ;)

I'm personally looking forward to host Zeus missions to see how dynamic the clans can be and how they react to changes in the battlefield ;)

Anyway rest assured there are good things coming :)

Peace

Sav

• Like 1

Savage can you talk to egg i want to join you guys and help but he kicked me out you guys so far seem to me as friends since its fun to talk and play but now i cant even do that.

And i know you guys are going to make the best arma 3 mod yet but im sorry i got mad and started a fewed due to my suggestion can i please come back instead of get kicked out please.

Also i do understand and sorry i lost my temper my typing bothers me and when people try to use it as a dis on me it makes me a little mad but ill stop that if i need to because i want to help with the beta and i want to play with you guys

The TS servers are run by the EW clan , I have no say whom is removed or added in this case . I suggest you PM Eggbeast and talk to him .

Requests like this should not be done on a public forum that everyone can see :confused_o:

• Like 1

OK heres a map idea for when you add tunnels add a trap door and in some vilages add trap doors to holes like in the house you cab crawl under

Almost any available weapon made it into that war.  this is my understanding (it may not be wholly accurate but i have read a lot of books on it by people who were there, or by expert historians)

During and after WW2 the nationalist chinese had been supplied with US weapons and captured german weapons.  When the communists prevailed in the chinese civil war, they captured warehouses full of weapons.  These later found their way into korea and later vietnam.

As early as 1963 the green berets (MACV-SOG) and CIA were supplying WW2 surplus weapons to sympathetic ethnic groups in vietnam, like the nung chinese (who had fled there during the chinese civil war), anti-communist cambodians recruited by the CIA and MACV in Pnomh Penh to come to vietnam and fight vietnamese communists (many of whom later went to cambodia and overthrew sihanouk as he was too pro-hanoi).  the carbine, mp40 and BAR are classic examples ofthese.  Also many korean war vets who fought in vietnam obtained WW2 weapons that they loved - like thompsons, m1 garands etc.  and even early USMC sniper teams (1966 etc) were issued with M1 Garandwith a 2x scope, and later the match-grade winchester model 70 (also a ww2 veteran rifle and scope).

the french weapons you see in game - the MAS-36, MAS-49/56 MAT-49 etc were captured by the Viet Minh when they beat the French who had attempted to reoocuppy their old colony of Indochina, after the japanese left at the end of WW2.  The americans had been financing and arming the VietMinh, and were on good terms with Ho Chi Minh. They didn't want the french to reoccupy the country.

However once they became overtly pro-communist-china, after the US-backed nationalists had been defeated by Mao (and fled to Taiwan, hence the animosity to this day) the americans backed the splinter Saigon government to prevent communism spreading, and found themselves at odds with Ho (very like the Osama Bin Laden story - he is widely understood to have been funded by CIA to fight the russians in afghanistan).

Later, SOG troops, who could get hold of any weapons they wanted, assuming they had salary, or something to trade (like a stolen and repainted marine corps jeep) would buy in all kinds of stuff, based on field-trials and field-modifications.  the Carl Gustav M/45 is a good example.  It fired when wet, so was a perfect bullet-hose for SOG ops.  The MFR were also tasked with going behind enemy lines and finding caches and base camps, and they desperately needed suppressed weapons.  As a result, in 1969, the MFR commanders did a worldwide search for cheap (its the USMC we're talking about) suppressed weaponry and so they brought in suppressed stens, M3a1s etc and other trials were mounted of weapons supplied (on loan, hoping for a contract) by small arms manufacturers - including the ruger mk1, walther ppk, suppressed revolvers, and so on.

also during this time, standard weapons like m14, m21, car15 and m16 were field-modified to carry suppressors, starlite scopes, and different ranged scopes.

much of this kit we have added in game in A2, and it will becoming your way again soon in A3.

Well this seems as complex back then as it is in syria right now...

Effing AWSOME work egg!! will be on during the week to help test if its up to that stage,

And guys come on the makers of this modd cant add every god damn weapon/item into the game,

theres a ton of items that they have to convert to arma3, so please let them consentrate on those, :)

oh egg ill be expecting you and the team to come on in for the big win at the weekend.

or youll be standing tall before the man, all i ask for my marines is to obey my orders as if it where the word of gawd!

Hey, wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm trying to play a mission using unsung with a few friends on our server but it keeps on crashing and throwing up the "no message recieved for x seconds..." message for all of us every time we start a firefight at the first village we come to on our mission. Its usually solidly stable and we can run around the FOB I have everyone in at the start of the mission fine, we can fly around fine, its just this firefight that causes the crash every time. I tried cutting down our mod collection because by our own admission its got a bit bloated but it still does the same thing every time. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, maybe a conflict with another mod anyone knows about? We're now using:

ACE3

ASR Ai

Blastcore Phoenix 2

Blastcore Skies

CBA

HueyPack

JSRS3 DRagonfyre

MCC4

ShackTac HUD

Unsung

VTS Weapon Resting

Great mod by the way guys, keep up the good work!

EDIT: Someone in the servers & administration forum just told me:

https://github.com/a...mment-181301819

Commen error with most unit or uniform mods that haven't been updated for 1.54. The same happens for LOP, Tryk's Uniforms, CAF etc.

Seems not to occur on current devbranch though.

Is that the case? If so is there anything I can do about it apart from waiting patiently and quietly :P ? Might potentially move over to the devbranch if its the only option and hope it doesn't cause problems with any of the mods we use in our other collection.

the only issue we are aware of is a CTD running ACE and spawning Vietcong units. If you must use ACE try sticking to NVA ones for now.

we cannot really help you more than that unless you remove all those other mods first and still have the problem.

you are using our ALPHA release, designed in a hurry, without any mod compatibility (and which we will not be adding for some time beyond our charlie version)

as a result, if you are using other mods, as BIS says "your gameplay may suffer!"

Yeah I completely understand, I'll try redoing the mission with NVA.

EDIT: just tried it out and you're completely right, VC getting hit is whats causing it.