sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

Neither are in the Alpha, you will have to wait for future updates

Just not until our own NVG assets are included into the mod

TY sir!!

no-one here is angry. we just have fun ragging people looking for things we don't provide. It keeps us all sane.

Top items would be ACE, NVG, targeting pod, zombies, RHS compatibility, any modern mods, anything futuristic, zombies, any alien or dinosaur crap, LIFE mods, fast-roping, thermal scopes, zombies, zeus, fatigue, earplugs, muskets, and pop music (non-60s), oh and king kong (that fuckin ape).

UnZung_jurrasic_zpsangtvvii.jpg

• Like 1

So freaking sweet. The map is just awesome. I know this is alpha, but does the map have issues with nighttime lighting and NVGs? The map is very dark for me... Wondering if this is the map, or my setup possibly...

Ok well it's seems this question has starter a stir :p :)

Anyway the reason it could be too dark could be one of the following:

A. The position eg longitude / latitude may be set differently than Altis so try and adjust the date a bit and see if it helps.

B. Again time of month is not where the lunar full moon cycle is on altis

C. The dense canopy of the forest blocks what little light there is shining through

D. Adjust your brightness and contrast settings , max brightness and back off contrast to give a more realistic look.

If none of this works then we'll I dunno we will have to check to see if Indeed you have found a potential bug.

• Like 2

for info this is what the AN/PVS2 starite scope look like on an xm177 in the mod (in A2)

pvs-1_zpsfe3554fe.jpg

• Like 1

that's all you're gonna get

and maybe this if you're lucky

1.jpg

That video is very typical of the era's night vision optics.  They were not typically a weapon-mounted oddity, which at the time was very, VERY rare.  The quality in-game is more like a modern "gen-2" or "gen-3" version.  The so-called "gen-1" (a name assignment that came later) are very grainy, have the fish-eye distortion around the edges, and are VERY dependent upon ambient light.  I have a Soviet NV scope that was weapon-mounted and they are HEAVY!!!  They also emit an old cathode-ray tube TV style "whine" or "hum" which is noticeable to the user.

There is a reason you see those floodlights on the sides of the helicopters and mounted on other vehicles.

The mod makes EXTENSIVE use of flares in varying amounts of brightness, and offerings.  Some planes, some choppers, some vehicles have flare launchers.  We also have something IMO much better, that is the handheld lights w/ a pistol to go along with it.  VERY atmospheric!  Makes for some VERY FUN engagements when suddenly in the bushes in front of your light you hear Charlie start yelling at you!  :D

Ok well it's seems this question has starter a stir :P :)

Anyway the reason it could be too dark could be one of the following:

A. The position eg longitude / latitude may be set differently than Altis so try and adjust the date a bit and see if it helps.

B. Again time of month is not where the lunar full moon cycle is on altis

C. The dense canopy of the forest blocks what little light there is shining through

D. Adjust your brightness and contrast settings , max brightness and back off contrast to give a more realistic look.

If none of this works then we'll I dunno we will have to check to see if Indeed you have found a potential bug.

Thank you for understanding the potential bug report :) (it was never a request as most answers been making "fun" of)

Yea after going back to the release thread, i saw that bug reports were not to be sent at this time.  I guess my original post was also just asking if anyone else was having this issue.  I think @sgt_savage nailed it though with the tree blockage of the sky.  I did more tests and took 2 SS of different maps under same conditions to represent issue, but after messing with the daylight some more, i got it to work where its manageable.  I designed a pretty cool mission.  Will release it soon for those who want to have some fun on this awesome map.  It is targeted for the 1985 era and yes i have added effects to the in-game NVG to make it blurry and grainy for you haters  :P   haha  (i kid)

Also you could have mine aperture sights that are tinted green.

the germans used this in ww2. it was basicly a black dot on a peice of green glass or blued or darkened 

Yea after going back to the release thread, i saw that bug reports were not to be sent at this time.  I guess my original post was also just asking if anyone else was having this issue.  I think @sgt_savage nailed it though with the tree blockage of the sky.  I did more tests and took 2 SS of different maps under same conditions to represent issue, but after messing with the daylight some more, i got it to work where its manageable.  I designed a pretty cool mission.  Will release it soon for those who want to have some fun on this awesome map.  It is targeted for the 1985 era and yes i have added effects to the in-game NVG to make it blurry and grainy for you haters  :P   haha  (i kid)

:p

How did you make it more grainy?  I would personally like to see some distortion added to the Unsung NV optics.  I remember trying to figure that out in A2 but never could find the secret sauce to make it happen.

Well i looked at the mod "Arma Enhanced Movement" and saw how he/she did it.  So i created a script to manually apply these when the NVG's were enabled.  Credits were added in the mission briefing. 

Looks something like this:

Dist_Wet = ppEffectCreate ["WetDistortion",300];
		Dist_Wet ppEffectEnable true;
		Dist_Wet ppEffectAdjust [10,0.056,0.056,0,0,0,0,0,0,0.1,0,0,0,0,0];
		Dist_Wet ppEffectCommit 0;

Grain_PP = ppEffectCreate ["FilmGrain",2000];

Grain_PP ppEffectEnable true;

Grain_PP ppEffectAdjust [0.03,0,2,2.77,1.96,true];

Grain_PP ppEffectCommit 0;

Hope that helps.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED:

The Fun-to-know Unsung Team has need of an intern or two to pick up small, VITAL, laborious tasks that have no glory whatsoever

Pay and benefits:

- thanks from a team of grizzled, antsy, A3-hating modders

- kudos for helping us get the beta out faster

- ability to play with us in closed beta testing, and learn how we roll in jungle ops

Must have:

Download and install the following General Tools for Modding

a ) skype so you can speak to the team

http://www.skype.com/en/

b ) tortoise svn so you can edit our mod stuff

https://tortoisesvn.net/

c ) register on devwithsix forum site so you can track issues/ bugs etc

https://dev.withsix.com/account/register

d ) arma 3 tools / P drive install

install in steam (found under Tools - not Games - tab)

e ) arma sample models

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Public_Data

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Asset_Samples

And specifically I am looking for someone to help with image conversion for the weapons and magazines

Needs photoshop 32 bit - VITAL that you can use this program to resize images, modify alpha layers and carefully convert file formats

I can coach the task and train you to do it. It just needs about 20 hours of your time in the coming 2 months

You will in turn be able to help convert weapons models or other more exciting tasks, depending on your ambition.

If you are interested in working for us, please PM me.

• Like 2

yeah we need grunts not glamorous jet jockeys

• Like 2

some WIP pics of the new ammo crates

US armoury crate - note helmet, mortar box and pack indicating type of contents, and side.

crate4_zpsgdw1v9dy.jpg

US MFR / LRRP armoury crate

crate2_zps8druurdx.jpg

CIDG armoury

crate3_zpsbjdxoyzu.jpg

Dac Cong armoury

crate6_zpshodlwkna.jpg

NVA armoury

crate1_zpsuhoj1ep6.jpg

VC mainforce armoury

crate11_zpszpoamgua.jpg

VC caches

crate8_zpsnqdmkybw.jpg

crate7_zpso7tevbnm.jpg

Miscellaneous crates (for static weapons and supply)

crate10_zpsocpnqucd.jpg

• Like 7

Quad gun has a few improvements... target reticle and front shields can be moved out of the way for wide-open views.  Different paint jobs with subtle shades of green, and random "nose art"

quadgun1.jpg

• Like 3

Awsome work egg and pookie, i will be on tonight to get my ass in the grass.

Pook could we mount the Quad 50 onto the back of a US truck? kind of a convoy protection truck, that will breathe fire in the form of 50cal.

Just a future idea :) not begging for one right away :)

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/33/41/153341e343bf50475b026bfc36d4b4ac.jpg

we have one already enti, it's the same kit from csj, as the static gun above

• Like 1

FOOKING awsome :), yea i watched documentary about them the other night was rather good.

Just spray the jungle with 50cal to stop incoming fire the VC and NVA did not like that coming back at them lol

here's me n you today in the battle on evo

battle_zpsfpjp9xsd.jpg

• Like 1

Like the sandbags instead of the concreate walls egg!

Looks like you tried your moves on some village mama san and she kneed you in the balls :D

lol that's the healing anim

note Enti has a suppressed M14

this is planned with starlite scope

25ID_Vietnam_HuntingClub.jpg

get ready for Op Ed Eaton

• Like 4

Are you guys sticking with Grumpy Rhinos Hueys or will you port 2.6's hueys over? Arma 2 UNSUNGs hueys are the best looking and feeling hueys I've used

we're not using grumpy rhinos hueys

and we will be porting our old fleet for a last tour, unless we can convince sykocrazy or another such excellent model builder to convert the bis base model or build a new one for us.

• Like 1

we're not using grumpy rhinos hueys

and we will be porting our old fleet for a last tour, unless we can convince sykocrazy or another such excellent model builder to convert the bis base model or build a new one for us.

pls port, those Hueys are brilliant