sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

So freaking sweet.  The map is just awesome.  I know this is alpha, but does the map have issues with nighttime lighting and NVGs?  The map is very dark for me...  Wondering if this is the map, or my setup possibly...

Our group has recently used this pack/map in a xmas nam special for a fun op and it works well however i will add the map is very heavy on the frames when you get about 60+ people on the server :) some players were not able to get above 25 ish FPS and there running super computers. Average fps was more like 14 ish and in the end we had to use fog to reduce the view distance to keep our mission going. I know its Alpha but wanted to pass on some feedback. Thanks for the continued work on this.

So freaking sweet.  The map is just awesome.  I know this is alpha, but does the map have issues with nighttime lighting and NVGs?  The map is very dark for me...  Wondering if this is the map, or my setup possibly...

NVG's? what are you? some future soldier who got teleported back in time to kill the mother of the leader of the future resistance against the machines?

• Like 3

the map is very heavy on the frames when you get about 60+ people on the server.

thanks for this

I wonder how Tanoa will handle large groups. generally foliage wrecks frames (see chernarus in A2)

We normally play a 22 man co-op type mission in A2 unsung.

Smaller units work best in nam setting. then you can have a LOT of AI comin at you

NVG's? what are you? some future soldier who got teleported back in time to kill the mother of the leader of the future resistance against the machines?

In arma any scenario is possible :) But even today Vietnam exist and who knows what happens in the jungles ;)

• Like 1

Geez louise!  no NVG's guys.  Let's be for real.  The only NVG technology at that time was the enormous "starlight" scope which was more of a telescope spotting scope that you held in your hands (watch The Green Berets).  We have that in an ammo crate (not sure if in the alpha).

SAY IT WITH ME NOW -   "Charlie owns the night".    "Charlie owns the night".   "Charlie owns the night".  There was a reason that phrase existed!!!!  :)

The mod contains flares, in different solutions.  Spotlights.  On static weapons.  And on some vehicle turrets.  And hand flashlights in the ammo crates (which may not be in the alpha). 

SO remember...   "Charlie owns the night".   Make use of those spotlights and flashlights. 

"Can we get NVG's" LOL

• Like 3

Who said he was playing in Vietnam war era? For sure he didn't ask for NVGs, he told you that he have problem on your island using NVGs. If there is a problem with your island you might want to fix it, don't you? If not so it works when you add the starlight scope.

Who said he was playing in Vietnam war era? For sure he didn't ask for NVGs, he told you that he have problem on your island using NVGs. If there is a problem with your island you might want to fix it, don't you? If not so it works when you add the starlight scope.

UM HELLO!!!  PAGING CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!

This isn't an island mod. This is not a Vietnam army mod.  This is not a Vietnam area mod. 

This is a Vietnam War mod.

We don't debate this, nothing will be changed as there is not a problem and nothing needs "fixing" as has been pointed out.

Move along...

FPEURJHIEX51QNL.MEDIUM.jpg

if you bring nightvision goggles into our mod i will ask sgt hartmann to come around and smash them off your head and throw you in the nearest punji pit lol

we're sending him round your house

headgear_zpsyl3ucu2v.jpg

Jcae here are the vietnam era NVG's you require

you can jump to 27 seconds

it was veitFuckingNam NVG's did not exist in that era HELLO! MCFLY!!!!!! Kunckle HEAD!

Well the NVG comment aside, yes the map is dark because it is under the jungle canopy. I can't say but perhaps the map maker also made the sky lighting darker and greyer  if that's possible to enhance the effect.When looking up, in most areas of the map, you'll see the sky is blocked out by the trees leaving most of the map actually in the shadows. Its really a very nice effect as you walk through the jungle and the occasional sun beam or two shines through (sort of the idea of tiger stripped camo with patterns of lighter green and black stripes).

Not all of Vietnam is jungle, lots of the country is simply bush and trees (as opposed to primary jungle with thick underbrush and canopy), farm land, rice paddies, costal plains, delta flats and swamp, really a large variety. Unsung for A2 had several maps representing many of the different terrain types in Vietnam, Quang Tri province had a coastal largely deforested area and lots of thick jungle all the way to Laotian border. It had some of the most rugged terrain of the war. If you really want to have some fun with the map, make it early morning twilight, turn up the fog and change the weather to down pour (monsoon style)....then wait for the VC sappers to try and penetrate your night defensive position. Very tense.

Heres what he will be expecting for UNSUNG next. Somewhere deep in the jungle some noob is going to get skinned alive.

These guys have worked (and are still working ) very hard to bring an authentic Vietnam experience. NVG's are NOT an option. Just take a second to think about it. "Charlie owns the night". Sometimes it's a light night, and sometimes it's black, but Charlie owns all. Use what you have, and don't ask for more, or Uncle Sam will bend you over a burger bar and smack your ass with a 3ft horse anus sausage.

that's all you're gonna get

and maybe this if you're lucky

1.jpg

• Like 1

Two or three people have already pointed out that jcae2798 was not asking for Unsung to include NVGs, just asking whether the NVGs that come with Arma are working as expected in combination with Unsung. I don't know why so many people are poking fun at him (or her) for something (s)he never even said.

• Like 4

um technical nvgs did exist but they were only on some sniper scopes if lucky and that was for special forces

you'll have to excuse us for poking fun, we're all grizzled night-fighting veterans of 3 years of jungle warfare in unsung, using the mark 1 eyeball all night in some missions, huddling close in the bush, using a lot of flares, nades and the odd carefully concealed flashlight.  we held a public event last weekend and a young A3 player hopped on to the mission (held at night) and immediately asked where the NVG's were.  This is very typical of FNG's comin to the mod.  So they always get their asses ragged.

We have a couple of starlight scope M16/XM177s and a handheld one in game, plus a lot of flares, flare pistol, M79, flashlights and flareships (AC47) to cope with night fighting.

Anyone asking about NVG's can go to hell.

you'll have to excuse us for poking fun, we're all grizzled night-fighting veterans of 3 years of jungle warfare in unsung, using the mark 1 eyeball all night in some missions, huddling close in the bush, using a lot of flares, nades and the odd carefully concealed flashlight.  we held a public event last weekend and a young A3 player hopped on to the mission (held at night) and immediately asked where the NVG's were.  This is very typical of FNG's comin to the mod.  So they always get their asses ragged.

We have a couple of starlight scope M16/XM177s and a handheld one in game, plus a lot of flares, flare pistol, M79, flashlights and flareships (AC47) to cope with night fighting.

I don't care about NVG I don't play this map but your attitude man sucks!! Thankfully all modders are not the same.

• Like 2

Hey there man im new to the unsung community i mission edited abit in 2.6 , hardcore bfv player/vet , i also know a few who`ll be keen to play, also ive created two multiplayer missions that are pretty sweet, whats your clan website, also can any of you give me a list of clans playing this id like to help network and get to know the community.

It really doesn't matter if you use NVGs whilst playing in your own time, just don't bring any issues revolving around the use of NVGs to our attention

I don't care about NVG I don't play this map but your attitude man sucks!! Thankfully all modders are not the same.

(Maybe Eggs attitude can be perceived as being sucky, but at the end of the day he along with all the other members work their arses off to bring you quality content and hours of gameplay)

LOL.  Wow people get so emotional.  Not trying to be a wise guy or start trouble....trust me last thing i want.

Maybe i should have clarified a bit what i was working on.  I understand the foundation of this mod, and love it as well.  But since we have no real jungle maps like the one you have here, i was trying to create a more recent scenario while the mod is still being tweaked.  Is that wrong of me?  That's all i wanted...

Now that aside, i did get a few laughs from some of the posts so thanks, i can take a joke  :D

Wow....guess i should have read further..  Again to clarify, i am not asking to include NVG either.  So according to one of the recent posts, i guess you don't want to hear about issues pertaining to NVG?  That's fine.  I'll move on.

also WHERE DO I FIND CHOPPER AND APC IN EDITOR>??

Neither are in the Alpha, you will have to wait for future updates

Wow....guess i should have read further..  Again to clarify, i am not asking to include NVG either.  So according to one of the recent posts, i guess you don't want to hear about issues pertaining to NVG?  That's fine.  I'll move on.

Just not until our own NVG assets are included into the mod

• Like 1