sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

ok thanks and does anyone know if there are any units for Unsung A3 yet?

read some of the posts for the last few days or head over to Armaholic, the Alpha was released.

yeah this thread is for WIP, the other thread is for alpha feedback and enjoyment

Hello all

I comprehend and respect the alpha status of Unsung. May I ask regardless if anyone has had any issues with ACE 3 compatibility? I'll explain the conditions of a test I have run recently, it might make more sense and possibly an awareness of a potential issue(s).

Condition: I have dressed up NATO soldiers in USMC (1965) uniforms to get as close as possible to something Australian soldiers may have worn back in the conflict.

Test #1

Unsung+CBA_A3+(ACE 3 enabled) + no modules and I shoot other Blufor (justification is friendly fire) then Arma 3 will crash. If I dress AI back in NATO or no uniform (ACE still on) there are no crashes.

Test #2

Unsung+CBA_A3+(ACE 3 disabled). Any combination of uniforms/vests/headgear, Arma 3 is stable.

Just curious if anybody else is able to reproduce?

Any way you can make a virtual arsenal version of the ammo boxes :) pweeeeas!!

@anfo

I get a dedicated server crash if I place vc or civs on map and they get shot.

Just spawn nva and edit in VArsenal with vc hat and vc pyjamas and mission runs fine.

Havnt shot any ai blufor yet except in editor but no crashes.

There were some people talking about an ACE problem with a crash when they shoot someone. I can't remember the details but you should check out the alpha release forum as that's where it was (look around page 4). Hope that this helps you find a solution to your problem  :)

• Like 1

you should check out the alpha release forum as that's where it was (look around page 4).

Sorry, I didn't realise there was another forum. Could you please link?

Hello , please help ... I downloaded and installed mod . Unfortunately, when trying to connect to the server pops up a window ".... are not signed by key accepted to this server ," What I am doing wrong?

Moved from the alpha release thread...

A little tease... yep that M113 is floating and driving through the water.  Still a long way from completion however we found a way around the "amphibious tracked vehicles won't float" issue so at least it is a step in the right direction!  Like I said, a LONG way from completion!

m113watertest1.jpg

• Like 5

not me, im just writing configs for the beta... and playing A2 full unsung over xmas

Tell you what one of the best Vietnam books i read was 'A field of innocence' i think the guy who wrote it ended up becoming SF by the end of the war.

If we're talking Vietnam books then Pathfinder: First In Last Out (Richie Burns) is a particular favourite for me. A Lonely Kind of War and Low Level Hell are great as well. 

The mod looks great guys...I do have a soft spot for the old school low tech stuff.

Dont forget the best TV-show ever.

I used to love that show :)

Yeah some good books in that list.  You'll enjoy reading SOG, some horrible stories in there, SOG teams getting overrun etc.  But also a couple of classics, including one about an NVA bike captured on a trail during a snap ambush, which i wont spoil... but its a story i love telling to others.

I would also HIGHLY reccomend the "Six Silent Men" series, which are written by a number of different LRRP team leaders and highly respected members of the LRRP community, the books cover pretty much all LRRP activities (obviously not everything, but a good overview) during the war from the early 101st Airbourne LRRP teams, then the switch later in the war when they became Ranger LRRP.

P.S.

Speaking of SOG i have a fair bit of vietnam era gear, some repro and original, but you couldn't tell the difference.  You probably have alot of reference material  but if you need any photo's taken of some of the rarer bits of SOG kit let me know.  I have a webbing rig made up at the moment, with a BAR belt, XM-28 gas mask pouch, mini smoke grenades and a firefly strobe (in the pouch), plus the additional standard canteen/compass pouches etc.

Same goes with uniforms, got a good set of tiger stripe and ERDL, along with some spray painted OG's for the SOG look.  But i imagine the black spray paint onto OG's is a pretty easy thing to do in photoshop.  I do have a couple of mates with some of the rarer locally produced tiger patterns, the "Gold" tiger stripes for example, who i'm sure would be more than happy to get some shots of them.

Oh and just found the ruin in Indian Country :)  Great place for a last stand.  (Been paralleling trails in that area for a while.)

• Like 1

Yeah, I also own lot of period stuff USMC, MFR due to airsoft and collecting

You can order the Hill 488 from the books website and the author will sign it also ;).

Adding to Six Silent Men. I highly recommens Force Recon Diary 1969 and 1970. They are written by Navy Corpsman who became first ever Navy corpsman to be teamleader.

To stay in topic. Any people wanna join in and patrol together?

I'd definitely be up for doing some patrols, don't mind running something on my server, its only a wee one mind.  We normally do our game nights on  Wednesday, did our last one before the xmas break last week.  But i might look at running a small Unsung session this Wednesday.  Would have to be a Zeus mission for now, as i am still in the process of setting up a bigger template for dynamic patrols.

We do have a collection on PwS, just search the collections for ^BOB^ Vietnam.  There are a couple of other mods alongside Unsung, but nothing that most people wont have already.

Server name is ^BOB^ Killzone,  we generally play from 19:30ish GMT.  As i say last week was the last before xmas really, but we might get a couple on.

(Just a little warning, the collection did just get a bit bigger with the inclusion of the 80's/90's mod, got some very nice older kit which goes alongside Unsung gear nicely.)