sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

You are a legend Savage, simply unforgettable ...hope you come back someday !

cheers :cheers:

King Savage!

Hope all is well and we get to see you some more mate.

good riddance! :p

Lazy prick ! :p :D

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

Any chance of a few pictures :)

Can't wait to drop napalm on NVA  :lol: 

Keep it going guys. :) Can't wait to get my hands on the mod :D

I love this mod! it's just perfect, when you think you can release a public version? Keep working, ArmA 3 need a beautiful mod like this!

• Like 1

I love this mod! it's just perfect, when you think you can release a public version? Keep working, ArmA 3 need a beautiful mod like this!

I'm pretty sure (unless a lot of new modelers and texture artists join) it won't be for atleast another year mate sorry. 

I'm pretty sure (unless a lot of new modelers and texture artists join) it won't be for atleast another year mate sorry. 

a whole year :( 

we've just rebuilt our repository, ready to start version checking the models and configs in the A2 version!

once this is done we will be planning out the stage by stage conversion of content.

in order to make better speed we do need more talented volunteers to sign up to do step-by-step conversion work with guidance from the old hands in the team.

other talents are developing islands and new materials like unit kit andweapons, which is great, but the main slog will be boring conversion of pre-existing content

other new stuff needed - SEEKING TALENT FOR: foliage, buildings, objects

Sorry to hear that the progress is so slow :(

I recently dug out my old copies of Vietcong + addons and i think that could be a bit more inspiration for the final form of Unsung 3.0. :)

Are there also plans to add female Vietcong to the mod ?

Not to be troublesome about this, but in one of the pics, it shows a sign in front of a base with the title of "FOB Sarge." Correct me if I'm wrong, but during the Vietnam era, weren't most bases called Air bases, FSB (Fire Support Bases), or just FB's (as in Fire Base Gloria and Fire Base Lady Bird)? I understand this is just a simple board, and doesn't necessarily indicate the level of gameplay awesomeness, but it just helps to stay with the illusion.

At the same time, I have quite a few models I've been working on that fit into both the WWII era and essentially into the Vietnam conflict after doing some minor changes. Those models are of the LST (Landing Ship Tank), the LCT mk 5 and mk 6 (Landing Craft Tank), the LCM III and VI(Landing Craft Mechanized), the LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle Personnel), the APB-24 (a Barracks Ship), a PT boat, the LSM (Landing Ship Medium), and finally the APA-45 USS Henrico. I'm only talented to create the 0.000 LOD. I'm trying to progress onto the 2nd step of getting these into game. However, if anyone would like to look at the work I've done this far, I'd be glad to produce the LOD/skeleton pictures to show originality and the lack of progress I've made with learning how to texture. I'd really like to see if someone could help get me into that next step, so as to contribute more to this mod. Let me know if you'd be interested in taking over if that'd be easier.

• Like 1

How's the progress on this mod going and is there any sort of time frame where we might see a released build?

Hi Folks,

While brand new here - THIS is what I was looking for when I purchased Arma... Honestly - I didn't realize the sim was set in the future - I was a little disappointed not seeing content I was more familiar with after playing AA for a bit... I'm also a bit of a military history nut and Vietnam would be right up my alley... Is it worth purchasing Arma 2 just to be able to run your older mod or is the game engine so far out of date it wouldn't really be worth it at this point ???

From what I've seen it looks quite impressive - best of luck to the team...

Quick question - I can model (MSFS - MSTS) - what format do files need to be in to be convert to useable Arma format ?

Regards,

Scott

@scott: Ultimately buying Arma 2 (and Operation Arrowhead) just to play 2.6 is a bit much in my opinion. That being said, If there's other things about Arma 2 that you feel like you'd enjoy and would be worth the $25 investment, it's your money. On the model question, you can import the following file types: .3ds, .obj, .fbx, .asf, .bvh. If you have any more questions about what formats models should be in, reference this page or this portion of the forums.

Hi...

Thanks for the info and answers - the formats work for me - if I get interested in a sim - I usually start modeling - I'll stay in the shallow end at the moment - still getting my feet wet around here...

:)

Regards,

Scott

hi Scott

a load of us regularly play A2 Unsung mod still, as it is the best vietnam experience on a PC you can have since VietCong nearly 15 years ago...

we also mod modern warfare stuff like Syrian conflict etc plus there's a lot of content from cold war rearmed and other great mods.  most of the good modders and players i have met still play A2 regularly, and shun A3 so far.

so wait til the next $5 offer for the complete collection and grab it

Hi...

Thanks for the additional information - a $5.00 sale - I can do that... I'll keep an eye out for it and give it a try when the old stuff goes on sale - I wasn't sure if EVERYONE migrated to Arma III when it came out leaving Arma II like a ghost town... Now I know... While I am quite familiar with using various sims - this one is proving a bit daunting - as I've never been a fan of Steam I'm having to figure that out in addition to Arma... Seems like everything is a mod - but - we don't use anything like JSGME to control them as they are applied in Steam... Last night I figured out how to apply my first mods - I added some of the HLC gun packs - LOL - like I said baby steps... I could really use some tips on getting my Arma III to some state where it uses present day hardware or older - I really don't have any interest in futuristic warfare... If someone wants to PM me some suggestions as not to hijack this thread anymore - I'd certainly appreciate it... I'm hoping there is a mod or a couple of mods that will do it to get me started... I'll break out my Rolling Stones CD's to get in the mood for Nam...

;)

Regards,

Scott

To all the aspiring modders that have contacted me about joining the unsung team please post your interest here or contact bigstone ,if he ever reads his PM's :P :D

I am no longer the lead dev so all recruitment enquires are best directed here or to bigstone :)

Peace

Sav

OK Sav I will read my pm's LOL!!!  Sure if anyone is interested in helping us out please PM me.  Cheers :D