sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

hi will there be a stoner 63a commando lmg?

Yes, the amount of weapons is incredible, maybe is too ;)

Also I'm asking the team if they can change out the A3 Skivvies with the general Nam GI 'T' Shirt and Army boxers shorts too... :P

officially I am only doing code (and sandals) but give me some pictures and I will see what I can do ;)

Well I have a little announcement,

I just advised the team that I will be stepping down as team leader for the unsung. 10 years of modding has taken it's toll on me :P

I feel its time to let some new blood take over and hopefully a fresh approach is what we need as a team to move forward to Arma 3.

Honestly, I never really warmed up to Arma 3 I guess I won't until all our Arma 2 content finally makes it into Arma 3. I am proud to be a member of an outstanding team , we had a lot of ups and downs but when 2.6 was released everything I wanted to see in a Vietnam game came to fruition dreamt up from way back in the operation flashpoint days.

I can't imagine topping that. I have asked Bigstone to take over as the new team leader, he has been with the team since early Arma 1 days and I know he will continue the unsung legacy.

He will be the forth team leader which goes to show how the unsung is one of very few mods that endure and deliver.

I will still be around a bit in an advisory role and quality control, but I simply can't push anymore it seems 2.6 was my limit. Hopefully with the new crew the unsung will reach 3.0 and beyond.

I want to thank all new and old members for their support, hard work and dedication they put into each release. As this chapter closes I feel a little sad but know the unsung is in good hands and look forward to seeing it all in Arma 3 one day.

It was a blast ..... Thanks guys :)

300mmx150mm-exit-right.gif

Peace

Sav

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

Sad to see you go Savage,but i know your work and Unsung will live on,thanks for your hard work all these years and enjoy the time off,and knowing the work off the rest of your team i am sure Unsung is in good hands.

Enjoy your well deserved 'retirement' Sgt. Savage :)

Thanks for all you did for the community and for your cooperation.

Maybe now you will have the time to actually play ArmA! ;)

Cheers,

D.

Best wishes Sav, and thank you for your years leading the talented team that made such a great mod. Glad to hear you're not leaving entirely :)

Best wishes

Orc

have a good rest sav, you deserve it mate. 2.6 was a killer for all of us, but a great mod, possibly the best in arma.

Good rest Sav, you deserve it.

Semper Fi!

Just thought I would drop of a small situation report from my perspective.

I am in charge of making the soldiers and (unofficially started with the weapons), in arma2 unsung had a great variety of details, almost all US soldiers had some unique details on the their helmets, like cigarettes or weapons oil, but they were stuck on the model.

In arma3 as you know, you can remove vests and helmets (even the uniforms) and so far I got 12 helmets ingame for the US forces, most are just different "shade" of the texture. I think this will make our mod come alive much more, other details will be the necklace with a peace sign thats randomly selected on some troops.

2.6 was a massive addon, the amount of content is incredible so while its taking me some time the new system with uniforms, vests and helmets are so nice since instead of having 50 different unit models. I can have a few models and mix them in the code, this means for instance if I notice an error on a vest. I fix that vest, no need to go through 50 models and try to fix it. So thank you BIS :)

My biggest headache now is to figure out what from 2.6 should remain "unchanged" and what should take advantage of the new arma3 features. Example is the attachable scopes from weapons, but there was no "rail" system in Vietnam. Silencers will of course be attachable. Anyway, just my 2 cents on whats going on from my perspective.

Just thought I would drop of a small situation report from my perspective.

I am in charge of making the soldiers and (unofficially started with the weapons), in arma2 unsung had a great variety of details, almost all US soldiers had some unique details on the their helmets, like cigarettes or weapons oil, but they were stuck on the model.

In arma3 as you know, you can remove vests and helmets (even the uniforms) and so far I got 12 helmets ingame for the US forces, most are just different "shade" of the texture. I think this will make our mod come alive much more, other details will be the necklace with a peace sign thats randomly selected on some troops.

2.6 was a massive addon, the amount of content is incredible so while its taking me some time the new system with uniforms, vests and helmets are so nice since instead of having 50 different unit models. I can have a few models and mix them in the code, this means for instance if I notice an error on a vest. I fix that vest, no need to go through 50 models and try to fix it. So thank you BIS :)

My biggest headache now is to figure out what from 2.6 should remain "unchanged" and what should take advantage of the new arma3 features. Example is the attachable scopes from weapons, but there was no "rail" system in Vietnam. Silencers will of course be attachable. Anyway, just my 2 cents on whats going on from my perspective.

You could look into some of the lesser known but definitely interesting attachments used in the later stages of the war. Dont have references on hand, but vietnam wasn't all just ironsights and gumption. A lot of crafty innovation in that war. Colt also produced a number of medium range optics that started to get picked up and used in significant numbers around 69-71'.

Otherwise another idea might be having "flavor" attachments, like camo wraps, tape, etc.

is the beauty of this scenario A3 is too "sniper ghost warrior" vietnam has to be without scope only for few sniper

Thanks for the update granQ, news is always appreciated.

How is work progressing on the VC & NVA units?

his wrist looks like its causing a lot of pain or is it me :P

his wrist looks like its causing a lot of pain or is it me :P

Clearly not with that expressionless face

it's a buddhist way

Or, from the glazed expression, perhaps analgesia produced by certain exports from the Golden Triangle?

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Some pics from the patrol boat working in arma3: http://tetet.de/arma/arma3/screenshots/PatrolBoat/index.php It still uses the old ship simulation and seems to work fine with it.

Nice, thanks for posting.

Is there a release date for this yet? ..... lol just kidding!

Thanks for showing some of the work to date, it is exciting to see the progress. I put off ARMA 3 for a bit because I play Unsung for ARMA 2. It was tough moving to ARMA 3 and leaving Unsung behind so now I'm looking forward to this release.

Oh my spaghetti monster I almost had a stroke when the browser just loaded the "exit" sign before I could read any text :D

And yes, I'm so late..... :rolleyes:

Anyways, well deserved retirement, fare ye well Mr. Savage.. :)

Oh, one Q though, not sure if this was asked already but will the 2.6 terrains be ported to this A3 version?

Edited by h -
typo

What real life units will the in game U.S units represent? Like in 2.6 you had 25th Inf Div, 173rd Airborne LRRPs and such

HI fellas the team is working on the mod right now. When we have WIP screenshots we will post them. @NordicBloodHound.... The plan is to have hidden selections for the US Army troops just like we did in 2.5 and 2.6. Where all you have to do is type in setobjecttexture etc etc in the ini line of each soldier. Hope this answers your question. Other than that hang on tight fellas and play with Unsung 2.6 for the meantime and please be patient for Unsung 3.0. Thanks