sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

Someone should port it across while we wait for the official mod yeyeye

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

The only problem would be skins. So im just using A3CVs skins

Can't wait for some Vietnam action, sadly AI shoots through foliage and renders Headless client overpowered :P

Glad to see the Unsung being ported to Arma 3. To be honest the thing Im REALLY looking forward to are the jungle maps. No other Arma mod ever nailed the thick jungle like Unsung did.

Can't wait for some Vietnam action, sadly AI shoots through foliage and renders Headless client overpowered :P

We could (and will try) to improve it, on bigger maps it also slows down FPS a lot if I understand correctly. Things here can be tweaked..

but, from my point of view (which could be wrong), if we take an area of 100 meter, thats like no distance at all for an eye and you look just straight forward. Everyone can detect a person walking within that lines. The problem with the jungle is that our brains don't see it... even when our eyes see it. A clear case of "can't see jungle because of all the bushes". Where the AI have the same brain and eyes, no filter.

So I think, in most cases the problem is that while we see a jungle as: bush, trees, different trees, flowers, butterflies, part of something dark (a VC leg)..

The ai see: "space, blocking objects, a target (a USMC leg)".

Which the ai then quickly act on..

Just thinking out loud (not part of any unsung discussions) but one way could be to minor things, as give the soldiers a much higher camouflague value that increase the time it takes for the AI to realize what "threat" he is seeing, another one to change behaviour.. problem is that they are so incredible hard to test and verify. We always want the AI to react slower than us, be a little bit worse on aiming but still offer a real challenge if you don't focus otherwise its boring... and this both in cities, jungle or open terrain.

I think the problem is thick foliage that doesn't count as cover, It would be nice if the bushes and stuff had some mass to deflect and slow bullets, even though that sounds stupid like, shooting a rifle through a jungle. Anyway I think what would be nice is cover, cover like thick plants and stuff all over.

Or just napalm the shit out of it :D Will be interesting to see napalm fires in Arma 3!

To get this effect, your computer will need to support a larger shadow render distance. It looks fantastic, but can kill your frames. I'll post screens later to show you what it looks like.

mins a monster im sure it could handle it but obviously got to think of other people

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

thats always bugged me also, that the AI can see through all the foilage, i have no modding experiance so im not sure if theres anything that can be done?

im normally just spraying into the area of an enemy anyway lol

Everyone likes the immersive feel of "jungle" maps, but Vietnam actually had a great variety of terrain only some of which would be classified as jungle. With respect to Primary Jungle, the underbrush would very often be sparse since triple canopy jungle lets little light through. You'd have a thick layer of humus and decaying leaves and short plants that grow in that. Where ever there are openings in the canopy to let light in (a good spot for an LZ) you would find more bush and grasses.

The Ia Drang Valley was forested but certainly didn't have that stereo typical jungle look.

I think the key is to provide a map that gives the player the feel of being in the jungle without completely killing frame rates.

So, here's just a few screenshots of how to get those jungles to look properly "dark" (warning, not for users with weaker computers). Like I stated earlier, all it involves is bumping up the Shadow draw distance, which by default for most people is set at 100.

Here's what that looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/P1xeGvy.jpg (629 kB)

and http://i.imgur.com/1vIkKmp.jpg (580 kB)

For those that have consistently lower framerates you might want to try reducing the shadow draw distance. here's what 50 looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/d2PqK48.jpg (707 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/8fyTs72.jpg (778 kB)

And finally for those who want the most out of their vietnamese and pacific jungle maps, a shadow draw distance of 200 looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/UylkVd8.jpg (558 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/uNn5d6q.jpg (597 kB)

Please note that these images are not representative of the current internal build and any content shown is not guaranteed to make it into the release version. Just as a reference, I ran at about 40 frames with High shadows at 50 Draw distance, 30 frames with 100 Draw distance and 15-20 frames with 200 Draw distance for shadows. It's actually amazing how different the game looks with the shadows, even Altis feels completely different.

@all lag and Bad FPS kill all games, is better a sensation of vietnam than an impossibility to move the mouse

Am looking forward to this. There's nothing quite like fighting in the jungle.

As I heard it somewhere before: in Vietnam (based games) every bush and rock is an enemy!

As for AI spotting: I personally use ASR AI with custom lower values for AI spotting. With my settings you can get away with a lot as long as you dont open fire.

Here's an old Arma 2 script that allowed you to "hide" when you lay still. It erects an invisible object that blocks AI LoS unless its close enough to see inside of it.http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15369

@devil

some textures's tree are black, Did you will rework?

Edited by Zukov

@devil

im very sure its all still WIP

@devil

I'm actually not a map guy. Lol. But I can assure that our new maps will be top quality as always.

I have been advised there is an incoming video from Von Knudenberg of a very well known character in a well known Nam film... Any ideas ? :)

The first community member to answer correctly will have the choice to get the mod prior to the public release or become our official tester as we move forward :)

Please try and include pictures with their character names :)

No idea if this has been answered already, but...

Hafner from Siege of Firebase Gloria?

The_Siege_of_Firebase_Gloria_stills_15281.jpg

Looking very cool nontheless!

OT in unsung 2.6 where is the skyraider? ;)

Edited by Zukov

I noticed that some of the models are holding helmets in places other than their heads. Is there any plan to expand on that idea? Not a clue if it would be possible, but perhaps the helmet would move to the head once equipped? Dunno, seems a little out of place considering the inventory system in Arma 3.

Here's an old Arma 2 script that allowed you to "hide" when you lay still. It erects an invisible object that blocks AI LoS unless its close enough to see inside of it.http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15369

this one stil works in A3 ?

nice going Unsung Team can't wait to get my hands on those jungles (and units offcourse) :)

I noticed that some of the models are holding helmets in places other than their heads. Is there any plan to expand on that idea? Not a clue if it would be possible, but perhaps the helmet would move to the head once equipped? Dunno, seems a little out of place considering the inventory system in Arma 3.

That would be awesome, was thinking of the same thing actually while playing RHS Escalation, since they also have a vest with a helmet on it. If it's possible to make a script where one could switch between having the helmet on head and some other place like vest, that would be the coolest thing ever :)

That would be awesome, was thinking of the same thing actually while playing RHS Escalation, since they also have a vest with a helmet on it. If it's possible to make a script where one could switch between having the helmet on head and some other place like vest, that would be the coolest thing ever :)

I don't believe that this would be possible, unfortunately. Part of that is the way that the uniforms and vests work. From what I understand, vest models and uniform models are whole proxies, which would mean that they would need a their own proxy that was helmet compatible (kind of like the chest holster in DAYZ). Currently in Arma 3, however, clothing items do not support proxies which means that Bohemia would have to put in or port over such a function for this to be possible. Someone more experienced than myself may correct me, but this is how I understand the situation.

Maybe there is a work around . Pookie made the random bush camo on our Nva tanks. I can't see why we can't apply the same principal on a unit?

Also Von Knudenberg & GranQ have been removing the rucks , vests, webbing and helmets from our line units and making them A3 compatible

We are also working on ways to have different uniform variants mixed from VC/ NVA & US SF/Marines etc. So hopefully the units will be very customisable. This will also include our brush camo seen on our VC Regional forces so you can attach it like a vest which will cool for snipers etc

Also I'm asking the team if they can change out the A3 Skivvies with the general Nam GI 'T' Shirt and Army boxers shorts too... :P

I don't believe that this would be possible, unfortunately. Part of that is the way that the uniforms and vests work. From what I understand, vest models and uniform models are whole proxies, which would mean that they would need a their own proxy that was helmet compatible (kind of like the chest holster in DAYZ). Currently in Arma 3, however, clothing items do not support proxies which means that Bohemia would have to put in or port over such a function for this to be possible. Someone more experienced than myself may correct me, but this is how I understand the situation.

Well that may or not be the case. In OFP it was feasible to have infantry with different hats/helmets. I remember the KMM mod had infantry that would wear a Beret when set to Safe, but switching to "Stay Alert" would mean the infantry would equip Helmets automatically. However this may or may not work in the same was with A3.