sttosin

[SP/COOP] West To East: Dynamic Battles

New Update

Major gameplay changes.

Let me know what you guys think. The big ones are west spawns to fight east each round. Totally random so you may get AA units on one side and transport heli filled with support infantry on other side. OR tank on one side vs. gunship, etc. Other gameplay change is limit on using radio for certain support.

Full changelog:

41. Changed: When West units are spawned to be automatic to line up with East treat. Sets up a nice showdown you are part of.

42. Changed: Player can only call CAS, ground troops once

43. Changed: Player can call Heli transport as many as required still.

44. Tweaked: Ambient sound now has break and varying pitch - All Mikey74.

45. Fixed: Enemy helicopters will no longer be deleted after moving beyond 1000 as they are set to loiter.

46. Changed: Friendly CAS will no longer be destroyed after 2mins. Around until battle claims it.

47. Added: 24hr time of day so say hello to fighting with night vision in West to East.

48. Tweaked: Camera now works with night vision or when time of day is dark. This is all CosmiC10R - Thanks man. Will update mod sometime.

49. Tweaked: Reduced battlefield for ground troops to 600m around player

50. Tweaked: Deleting wrecks and dead bodies to 5 mins.

51. Changed: all west infantry waypoints to guard instead of move.

Edited by sttosin

The kill cam creates havoc on my frames,

But The mission now works for me. Thanx

Great! Glad its working for you.

Tell me more about the frames. Someone else told me they really liked the performance :confused: What do you get normally in the mission? 25-35? During kill cam?

Are you using the St_KillShotCam mod with the mission? Don't. I will need to figure out how to check if that mod is in use at start of mission or something.

Great! Glad its working for you.

Tell me more about the frames. Someone else told me they really liked the performance :confused: What do you get normally in the mission? 25-35? During kill cam?

Are you using the St_KillShotCam mod with the mission? Don't. I will need to figure out how to check if that mod is in use at start of mission or something.

I run no kill camera at all.

Yours actually brings my system to it's knees.

Personally I could do without it all together.

However, overall I do like the mission.

Continue to make it better.

(Maybe a version without the Cam) ;)

I run no kill camera at all.

Yours actually brings my system to it's knees.

Personally I could do without it all together.

However, overall I do like the mission.

Continue to make it better.

(Maybe a version without the Cam) ;)

I am sorry I can't see maintaining two versions at this point. I make too many updates to keep that up at this stage.

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

New Update yet again.

Some gameplay changing improvements.

1/19/2015

53. Added: Chance of fighting two teams at once to make more challenging. Basically no vehicles without ground troops.

54. Tweaked: Enemy infantry spawn from 200 to 300m to allow planning

55. Changed: West CAS waypoint to Loiter from SAD to prevent parking

56. Added: Radio Foxtrot. Gain Intel by deploying UAV to spot enemies.

57. Added: 1/5 chance of B_UAV_02_CAS_F as CAS possibilities

58. Added: Soolie's customizable supply drop script. Thanks for releasing the script and the tutorial! Check it out here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187547-Customizable-Supply-Drop-Release :yay:

59. Added: Deletion of west beyond 800m now.

60. Added: Fatigue back

61. Tweaked: Distance Heli Drop starts from 800m back to 400m to increase chance of landing before enemies close in.

With the Supply Drop now you can set traps with mines and use Javelins and Stingers. Gear up with new scope, etc.

Now every enemy or friendly for that matter has a weakness. Let me know if you like the updates. As always check first page.

Updated.

1/23/2015

62. Added: first aid kits and explosive charges to supply drop.

63. Added: More west will only join battle if number is <15 to keep frames and general performance

64. Removed: UAV as CAS as it was practically a waste of CAS

65. Fixed: HeliDrop infantry not using GUARD waypoints.

66. Reduced: Amount of time for dead bodies and wrecks to clear.

2/1/2015

67. Added: New West support group e.g. Snipers

2/3/2015

68. Cleaned up mission name

69. Reduced little bird chance to 1/6..not helping out much.

70. Tweaked camera for different types of UAV.

Updated.

2/7/2015

71. Added: New distance for camera when vehicles killed.

72. Changed: Vehicles can spawn now without infantry support units for chance to showcase vehicle klled cam

73. Changed: Hours of night vision for camera effect to start at 5.0 instead of 5.5

74. Added: New dynamic camera to helicopters

75. Added: Fighter jets for East (SU25) and West(A10C) as possible support and opposition. Planes utilizes new camera mode.

76. Added: Radio once available to call A10C for support.

77. Removed: The Kamaz as it was practically indestructible by CAS

78. Changed: Spawning a laptop for supply to use invisible object instead

79. Fixed: Bug in Ambient Sound

2/8/2015

80. Added: Vehicle deaths now utilize cinematic shows nice close up vehicle explosions

Due to too many updates in too little time I have decided that the version on Steam will be the latest and greatest. It is easier for me to simply publish from editor and users automatically get the updates insead of them having to download another 12MB.

Here: https://staging.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=390096426

If anyone out there wants a newer version without going through steam PM me. I will not guarantee you will always have the newest version or how frequently you will get updates.

Edited by sttosin

Hello there

Playable only on Altis?

Any possibilities to make it work on other maps?

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Playable only on Altis?

Any possibilities to make it work on other maps?

Rgds

LoK

Have you tried it yet?

Which map are you looking to play it on?

Hello there

I havnt tried it on other maps yet.

Any other maps are welcomed as it adds variety.

Also, it would be nice to have the option to limit or switch off the kill cam. While it is fun it can sometimes be a little irritating.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

I havnt tried it on other maps yet.

Any other maps are welcomed as it adds variety.

Also, it would be nice to have the option to limit or switch off the kill cam. While it is fun it can sometimes be a little irritating.

Rgds

LoK

Since you are not the first to suggest toning down the kill cam or eliminating all together, consider it done.

What percentage of chance would you consider a good balance. 75% 50% 25% 10% 5%?....I am not doing 0% lol. KillCam for when player is cause of death will only occur 5% of the time now and vehicle explosion shots will be capped at 20%. Update on workshop.

As far as porting to other maps I plan on doing that later when the mission is more complete. I am still adding content at the moment. The mission is designed to be easy to port when I get to that point. I am taking requests for maps that will fit the RHS assets help prioritize when we get to that bridge.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

New Version updated on first post.

Edited by sttosin

Hello there

Excellent stuff.

I must admit that although the mission is simple in concept I have had vast amounts of fun with it.

Anther option that would be nice would be to choose the direction of your advance. N/S/E/W or even ne to sw for example.

Again, a thing that would add more replayability.

As to maps that should be supported, well the Sarahani map, for me, is a must as it takes us back to good old Arma

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?185924-SMD-Sahrani-A3-Bohemia-s-Sahrani-Terrain-as-ported-by-SMD

and the AIA mappack.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182072-All-in-Arma-Terrain-Pack-(AiA-TP)-A1-A2-OA-terrains-from-BI-in-A3/

Chernarus Summuer is nice.

I'll try the new version with the changed kill cam and will give feedback. I do like it, but it does need to be uncommon IMHO.

A user setting would be ideal which means those who love it can have it 100 and those who loathe it can have 0.

Im a big believer in end user customisability as the product appeals to a wider audience.

Lastly, im often encountering lone trucks. A mechanised column or trucks with troops would be more believable even a convoy of a few trucks and a "jeep" would feel more correct to me.

Regardless, good work!

Rgds

LoK

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Hello there

UPDATE: The amount of killcams is far better in this version.

One more comment I have is that it would be nice not to see enemy intel, so its more of a surprise when you do encounter them.

Rdgs

LoK

Hello there

Excellent stuff.

I must admit that although the mission is simple in concept I have had vast amounts of fun with it.

Anther option that would be nice would be to choose the direction of your advance. N/S/E/W or even ne to sw for example.

Again, a thing that would add more replayability.

As to maps that should be supported, well the Sarahani map, for me, is a must as it takes us back to good old Arma

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?185924-SMD-Sahrani-A3-Bohemia-s-Sahrani-Terrain-as-ported-by-SMD

and the AIA mappack.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182072-All-in-Arma-Terrain-Pack-(AiA-TP)-A1-A2-OA-terrains-from-BI-in-A3/

Chernarus Summuer is nice.

I'll try the new version with the changed kill cam and will give feedback. I do like it, but it does need to be uncommon IMHO.

A user setting would be ideal which means those who love it can have it 100 and those who loathe it can have 0.

Im a big believer in end user customisability as the product appeals to a wider audience.

Lastly, im often encountering lone trucks. A mechanised column or trucks with troops would be more believable even a convoy of a few trucks and a "jeep" would feel more correct to me.

Regardless, good work!

Rgds

LoK

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Hello there

UPDATE: The amount of killcams is far better in this version.

One more comment I have is that it would be nice not to see enemy intel, so its more of a surprise when you do encounter them.

Rdgs

LoK

Thanks for the feedback and nice comments.......as far as new maps....well.......here it is on Sahrani!

Sahrani version here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396686560

Sahrani SMD version here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396734823

It is not tested as much as the Altis version. If you can report any issues that will be great!

I will randomize the direction the attacks are coming from so it is not always directly east.

I will look into your other suggestions.

Edited by sttosin

Hello there

Ive had a few goes on the SMD version and it seems to work fairly well. Ive not noticed any game stoppers.

Good stuff.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Ive had a few goes on the SMD version and it seems to work fairly well. Ive not noticed any game stoppers.

Good stuff.

Rgds

LoK

Thanks for the feedback.

I have further toned down player induced kill shot cam. Also added more closeup angles for Russian vehicles for player to admire their beauty :D

For whatever reason when I tried the SMD version (3 times, in fact) no AI spawn anywhere? I hiked half way across the map before getting bored and spawning a vehicle to drive the rest of the way. Any idea what might be wrong? I'm sure it's something on my end.

For whatever reason when I tried the SMD version (3 times, in fact) no AI spawn anywhere? I hiked half way across the map before getting bored and spawning a vehicle to drive the rest of the way. Any idea what might be wrong? I'm sure it's something on my end.

Does the Altis one work for you?

In the SMD one did you get the "Its all clear...."?

Try using the Radio to "CHALLENGE OUR SYSTEMS"........Anything?

I am not sure I follow when you say you spawned a vehicle to drive the rest of the way. Did you just use your own script?

Edited by sttosin

I also had the impression that AI should be spawned automatically (like EOS and other area spawn methods) and gave up this mission, till I´ve tried the Sahrani version and noticed the radio commands and then while using "challenge our system"... voilá! =)

Felt myself kinda stupid, or this is too discrete? Anyway, loving the mission now (and hoping more people make missions on SMD_Sahrani, only StTossin and Outlaw7 use this map, is so awesome!)

cheers!

;2887585']I also had the impression that AI should be spawned automatically (like EOS and other area spawn methods) and gave up this mission' date=' till I´ve tried the Sahrani version and noticed the radio commands and then while using "challenge our system"... voilá! =)

Felt myself kinda stupid, or this is too discrete? Anyway, loving the mission now (and hoping more people make missions on SMD_Sahrani, only StTossin and Outlaw7 use this map, is so awesome!)

cheers![/quote']

Enemies ARE supposed to spawn automatically....something is wrong if they are not. Please do this test: Call UAV and it should identify all the areas enemies are on the map. I am thinking of one scenario where map is sorta empty is when only one enemy fighter jet is spawned. I will fix that tomorrow.

The Challenge our system thing was just something I put there in case people needed well more challenge lol.

In the meantime the mission is also now available on Chernarus - Summer Version. Get it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398567358 And as always....Enjoy! and provide feedback as it has very little testing.

So, this time tried on Bornholm (my first sight on this map - cool so far except grass coulour :) ). Played with really nice feeling of the war going on around till I died (about half of hour). Good to see some very welcomed improvemetns. I'll focus on problems, I saw to be constructive though:

1. Radio comm would be better with some audio editing/distortion/hum added etc. I hate to point my own work as an examples, but anyway check how in Hetman radio samples are processed to actually sound as radio, not someone talking with cristal clear voice, like standing just next to you.

2. From the start there was some choppers spawned with the comm suggesting, I called them, which isn't true.

3. Not sure, if anything should be done about, but sometimes IS annoying, when camera interrupts my play several times in the minute. I would try to implement some interval limiter and show that camera view only, if from the last such view enough time passed. IMO no need to show that way every single spawn/kill. When you do, in time it may become tiring too fast. Such eyecandies IMHO should be dosed carefully to keep them fresh. Or make it switchable on the fly eg via supports menu (0-8).

4. Dynamic text displays spawned units by their classname, which rarely looks good. I would sugget to use display name instead. (getText (configFile >> "cfgVehicles" >> _class >> "displayName")). Similar - names of supports looks a bit "makeshifty" in_this_form. Also optionally current allied/known enemies groups position could be given by a marker - just an idea (vanilla may be used - MARTA module is still on place in A3, I'm using it in HWS), this tiles/sectors markers are working nice enough to me.

5. Once I saw medevac used for group insertion. Units with ambulance ability can be filtered out using their config (attendant=1 IIRC).

6. Saw few times choppers landing/trying to land (and crashing) on the trees/buildings. Kinda sucks. It is possible to find flat and empty area for LZ.

7. I still would welcome arty support, if limited of course. Should be kinda more basic and available than CAS IMO.

8. I would love to hear that chatter from that another mod. :) Also radio chatter of such kind from my finghting allies, if would not make radio comm too messy.

9. Is availability of the support anyhow bounded/dependent on player actions/progress? IMO would be nice if so and if player would be notified about that progress in some cool way (even if "arcadey" - kinda does no harm in such kind of scenario IMO) just to keep him motivated and rewarded for the efforts. Eg just by gaining X map coorinate number by pushing toward east - to convert such gain somehow into support points or just some displayed progress motivator. Also see 11. as an idea ofr such progress handling.

10. Aerial support could be spawned farther to make more believeable feeling of support actually sent from somewhere (so it also requires a bit bigger delay bewteen request and support on place, currently it feels kinda magick - not that I have something against magick though :) but rather not intended? ). Still, increased delay in such fast paced gameplay may be not so good.

11. This is pretty intense scenario. Tension/pressure all the time. Not an issue, just a fact. I'm sure many preffer that way. As for me though, in time it becomes mind tiring - nearly no time to think calm nor rest. Constant chaos. Perhaps could be worthy of consideration adding some chain of objectives, marked milestones en route east eg basing on the locations or crossroads between player's init position and eastern shore - stage 1: take this town (rest there/replenish ranks/ammo etc) - stage 2: take that hill next (again rest when done by the way) etc. Such key positions would be kinda realistic and could be in advance nicely garrisoned with defensive hostiles to clear + some ammo etc to obtain. IMO nice diversity, that by the way would allow me to feel a bit less like a Mario bro running and running, just chasing the horizon in the one direction, if you know, what I mean.

:)

All right. That is it this time. It's getting better and better.

Edited by Rydygier

yep... just getting back in after a month straight of work and it's come a long ways... had a blast today on altis and cherno summer... keep it up StTosin!

wants me a takistan version lol....

So, this time tried on Bornholm (my first sight on this map - cool so far except grass coulour :) ). Played with really nice feeling of the war going on around till I died (about half of hour). Good to see some very welcomed improvemetns. I'll focus on problems, I saw to be constructive though:

1. Radio comm would be better with some audio editing/distortion/hum added etc. I hate to point my own work as an examples, but anyway check how in Hetman radio samples are processed to actually sound as radio, not someone talking with cristal clear voice, like standing just next to you.

2. From the start there was some choppers spawned with the comm suggesting, I called them, which isn't true.

3. Not sure, if anything should be done about, but sometimes IS annoying, when camera interrupts my play several times in the minute. I would try to implement some interval limiter and show that camera view only, if from the last such view enough time passed. IMO no need to show that way every single spawn/kill. When you do, in time it may become tiring too fast. Such eyecandies IMHO should be dosed carefully to keep them fresh. Or make it switchable on the fly eg via supports menu (0-8).

4. Dynamic text displays spawned units by their classname, which rarely looks good. I would sugget to use display name instead. (getText (configFile >> "cfgVehicles" >> _class >> "displayName")). Similar - names of supports looks a bit "makeshifty" in_this_form. Also optionally current allied/known enemies groups position could be given by a marker - just an idea (vanilla may be used - MARTA module is still on place in A3, I'm using it in HWS), this tiles/sectors markers are working nice enough to me.

5. Once I saw medevac used for group insertion. Units with ambulance ability can be filtered out using their config (attendant=1 IIRC).

6. Saw few times choppers landing/trying to land (and crashing) on the trees/buildings. Kinda sucks. It is possible to find flat and empty area for LZ.

7. I still would welcome arty support, if limited of course. Should be kinda more basic and available than CAS IMO.

8. I would love to hear that chatter from that another mod. :) Also radio chatter of such kind from my finghting allies, if would not make radio comm too messy.

9. Is availability of the support anyhow bounded/dependent on player actions/progress? IMO would be nice if so and if player would be notified about that progress in some cool way (even if "arcadey" - kinda does no harm in such kind of scenario IMO) just to keep him motivated and rewarded for the efforts. Eg just by gaining X map coorinate number by pushing toward east - to convert such gain somehow into support points or just some displayed progress motivator. Also see 11. as an idea ofr such progress handling.

10. Aerial support could be spawned farther to make more believeable feeling of support actually sent from somewhere (so it also requires a bit bigger delay bewteen request and support on place, currently it feels kinda magick - not that I have something against magick though :) but rather not intended? ). Still, increased delay in such fast paced gameplay may be not so good.

11. This is pretty intense scenario. Tension/pressure all the time. Not an issue, just a fact. I'm sure many preffer that way. As for me though, in time it becomes mind tiring - nearly no time to think calm nor rest. Constant chaos. Perhaps could be worthy of consideration adding some chain of objectives, marked milestones en route east eg basing on the locations or crossroads between player's init position and eastern shore - stage 1: take this town (rest there/replenish ranks/ammo etc) - stage 2: take that hill next (again rest when done by the way) etc. Such key positions would be kinda realistic and could be in advance nicely garrisoned with defensive hostiles to clear + some ammo etc to obtain. IMO nice diversity, that by the way would allow me to feel a bit less like a Mario bro running and running, just chasing the horizon in the one direction, if you know, what I mean.

:)

All right. That is it this time. It's getting better and better.

Rydygier,

Thanks for your input as always. I seek it out because you seem to crank out epic stuff and remain helpful at the same time.

I will need time to digest the more complicated points you raised. I like most of the suggestions. I will correct the issues.

Thanks again.