sttosin

[SP/COOP] West To East: Dynamic Battles

Happy New Year Everyone!

Quick Summary:

1. Dynamic battles are setup one at a time between East and West. You are there to inluence the outcome. Be part of a growing army as you continue to push east. You will actually see your forces grow in number as you succeed. Story is not the main focus so you can jump in and jump out at any time.

2. Unlimited saves

3. Sweet camera work 100% in-game if I may say so myself.

4. Very high replayability due to very high randomization. Everything from combinations of enemies to music, support, weather, time of day, it goes on................

5. Appropriate enemy count per firefight and some will feel like "Boss battles" either due to numbers or just type of enemies.

This is my first publicly released Mission for Arma 3. I mostly play SP and this started as a Single Player experience but is now multiplayer compatible for up to 4 people. Please don’t let the Mod Dependency deter you from giving this a shot. I promise you will have a blast. Let me know what you think on the forum. Please do not upload to workshop. I will at my own pace.

My goal is to bring you a mission that:

• Is fun. You can play it however you like.
  • Provides huge replayability through decent randomization.
  • Has a simple objective anyone can play.
  • Immersive through choice of dialog, music, and camera work.
  • Stays fresh (I will try to keep releasing updated versions).
*Required Mods

RHS Escalation 0.38 United States Armed Forces AND Armed Forces of The Russian Federation.

Third party map versions would of course require said map.

Altis version will always lead in fixes and content......at least until Tanoa.

The concept of this mission is simple: Fight with your comrades as an infantry unit and cut right through the enemy defenses from the West side of the Map all the way to the East side in a non stop combined arms warfare. You have two main objectives...stay alive and push East!

More about these objectives:

1. Staying alive.

Enemies will come for you even if you don't pursue your second objective. If you find a decent spot with lots of cover and want to camp out, do so knowing you will be playing defense. Use your radio - Its as simple as Alpha, Bravo, Charlie to get help. Some help is limited. Tanks, ground troops, CAS are limited; Supply drop, UAV surveillance is not.

2. Pushing East!

You literally just need to keep moving East to reach the shores. Enemies will defend their territory. Look at the sun if you have it or your compass/map.

Highlights

1. Discover the map. Whether it be Altis or Sahrani, you end up fighting on much of the Map you would otherwise not find yourself sightseeing. That inconsequential wreck on a hill may take you 5 mins of intense firefight to take.

2a. My KillCam script.A chance of seeing kill shot up close and get to see AI ragdoll like never before. (See video for more

) Credit CosmiC10R and Mikey74 for helping me out with the code.

2b. Player KillCam script. Even your death will be gloriously presented if you fail. You can learn for next time as you get to see who inflicted the final hit on you. Credit to froggyluv, BigPickle, and Jigsor. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152821-BIS-Kill-Cam/page2

3. Features RHS Escalation US forces vs. Russian units. The assets you get to have fun with is well worth your time. No vanilla units except the small AH bird.

4. Has high randomization to keep you coming back for more. This includes 30 different mission starting points, randomized enemy attack groups including marksmen, attack gunships, transport helos, etc. More to come on this one. I plan to use basically every possible group and some custom RHS Escalation units in some capacity or another. The dialogs will be unique and each gameplay never the same.

5. Bring friendlies as you want into the battle with some limitation. No need to micromanage AI. Your AI team knows to push East! Don’t set them up for failure...unless you were like me in the video above.

6. Request helicopter land and drop off support troops with no limit.

7. Request an Apache or a fighter jet to provide CAS when things get too hot or Tanks to face enemy armor.

8. Tort's dynamic weather script. Thanks for sharing! This combined with random time of day brings out the best lighting combinations. (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178674-Dynamic-weather-script-and-addon-tort_DynamicWeather&highlight=tort)

9. Soolie's customizable supply drop script. Thanks for releasing the script and the tutorial! Check it out here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187547-Customizable-Supply-Drop-Release

10. Script to determine which units are in which areas on map. Script by Moerderhoschi. Thanks mate! Check it out here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188902-UnitAreasOnMap-Script-Easy-to-use

11. Staying informed. You will get just in time intel on approaching enemies and see the firefight ahead of you like never before.

12. Väinämöinen's amazing bombing run script. Thanks for sharing! Find it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?83941-Herculess-bombing-run

13. Rydygier's Arty Fire For Effect script! Epic explosions from East and West. Thanks Man. Get it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168779-Fire-For-Effect-The-God-of-War-smart-amp-simple-AI-artillery

14. Unlimited Ammo Script by XxanimusxX http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188926-AI-team-mates-auto-re-arm-(/page2&highlight=team+mates+auto+re-arm

15. Enemy Bomber jets utilizing thedarkbird's script found here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?117449-FINISHED-Carpetbombing-script

16. Random location generator and selector Script from Shuko. Thanks for sharing! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?89376-SHK_pos

17. Boats! Now when you get close to the waters, you get a chance for enemy transport boats and gunner ships confrontation. This is made possible by TPW_boat script. Thanks Mate for allowing the use of this sweet code. Check out tpw_mods here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?164304-TPW-MODS-enhanced-realism-immersion-for-Arma-3-SP

NOTE that the way the infantry systems work now they don't check for water so they may spawn in water. I will work to fix that but may take some time.

18. Bullet Cam for sniper riffle. Code from tutorial on Killzone Kids blog. See here: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-a-simple-bullet-cam/ Thanks for this and other great tutorials.

19. Audio of guys talking about spawned enemies were originaly in BF3.

20. Excellent Zen_Occupy house script: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?180988-Release-Infantry-Occupy-House-Script Thanks for including parameter to have shooters fill buildings from top then to bottom.

21. You will feel like you are in a massive war. You might experience the exhaustion of battle after battle with the Ambient battle sounds from Mikey74. Thanks Mikey74 for helping incorporate this into the mission in script version! Check it out here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188000-Ambient-battle-sounds-Module

22. Fastroping AI. ZLT Fastrope script used. Thanks! https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160875-helicopter-fastrope-script/

Survival Tips and Game Quirks

Always have some friendlies around or you’ll fail your first objective and restart a lot.

When you get intel on bigger threat act fast….running for cover is not losing the battle.

New enemies will not spawn with enemies existing on the map. Call a UAV eyes in the sky to help spot enemies when needed.….even if they spawned in a rock! Check your map.

Recommended Mods

1. AI combat behavior mod such as AISS (Highly recommend the upcoming release..I must say best firefights hands down...insane suppression and suppressed behavior)/bCombat/Reactive Squads etc.

2. Sound mod like SOSPure/JSRS along with

3. LAxemann soundscape (Highly recommend)., L_Immerse, and L_Suppress

4. Bloodmist (You know...for the kill shot cam and overall feedback).

5. Blastcore phoenix.

6. TPW mods if your computer is still going after all the action.

7. Weapon resting such as VTS/TMR/AGM

8. SAMO - Tell your squad to suppress and more!

********************Special Thanks***************

1. Bohemia Interactive for Arma 3

2. The helpful and friendly Arma community including but not limited to all the people in the Highlights section above. Thanks again.

3. Cosmic10R and Mikey74 who help with this mission on a very regular basis including bouncing ideas around and scripting.

Current Issues

• May not spawn enemies when using MCC. Still getting feedback.
Get SP/MP Scenario Here (Guaranteed Latest and Greatest):

Altis will always be the most current version.

Altis [sP/MP] Steam Version

Fan media:

Nice one StTosin... I will check this out once Samo v0.3 is released...

Happy New Year !!! lol

New Version up WestToEast_01012015b see first post.

Edited by sttosin

Cool. Although I'm all for "every kill counts" aka "Seven Samurai" type of missions, while this seems to be "infinite waves" type, so probably will not stay here for long, but every new interesting, dynamic SP project is most welcome. Far too few of them comparing to MP.

Anyway, gave it a try to aid at least with some feedback.

- 2 times per 5 tries I landed at init on [0,0,0];

- I'm afraid, that custom cameras showing new groups may cost me a life, if happen when I'm engaged in combat. I forsee it may be rather annoyance than welcomed feature after some time;

- are AIs tweaked as for accuracy? Seemed more accurate, than default on my settings, may be only an impression due to close spawns;

- so, basically, all hostiles are spawned east of me and pushing west, while allies - opposite? It may become monotonous after some time. And tiring, if killed enemy is replaced all the time with new, so close, then that means in fact constant firefight all the way. Some may like it of course - I don't;

- is there a limit for called allied groups?

- so technically, if one don't want to waste ammo on indefintelly respawning hostiles, all he has to do is (optionally) make them busy with some allies, and bypass their positions via wide enough flanking maneuver, then continue east? And as long current hostiles are alive, there is no new spawn? If so, theoretically all, what player need to do is ommit first group, rest is about running across empty map - possible weak spot, if so.

Edited by Rydygier

ho yess

it's that kind of mission that i'm looking for. thank you man

You are welcome!

I will continue to improve it and fix bugs based on feedback.

Cool. Although I'm all for "every kill counts" aka "Seven Samurai" type of missions, while this seems to be "infinite waves" type, so probably will not stay here for long, but every new interesting, dynamic SP project is most welcome. Far too few of them comparing to MP.

Anyway, gave it a try to aid at least with some feedback.

- 2 times per 5 tries I landed at init on [0,0,0];

- I'm afraid, that custom cameras showing new groups may cost me a life, if happen when I'm engaged in combat. I forsee it may be rather annoyance than welcomed feature after some time;

- are AIs tweaked as for accuracy? Seemed more accurate, than default on my settings, may be only an impression due to close spawns;

- so, basically, all hostiles are spawned east of me and pushing west, while allies - opposite? It may become monotonous after some time. And tiring, if killed enemy is replaced all the time with new, so close, then that means in fact constant firefight all the way. Some may like it of course - I don't;

- is there a limit for called allied groups?

- so technically, if one don't want to waste ammo on indefintelly respawning hostiles, all he has to do is (optionally) make them busy with some allies, and bypass their positions via wide enough flanking maneuver, then continue east? And as long current hostiles are alive, there is no new spawn? If so, theoretically all, what player need to do is ommit first group, rest is about running across empty map - possible weak spot, if so.

Thanks Rydygier for the feedback. I am a fan of your works including HAL/HETMAN and Pilgrimage/War Stories missions.

I had to look up a 1954 trailer of the seven samurai.

I will try to address each point.

1. Init on 0,0,0 was a 1/30 random chance bug that's now fixed in current version.

2. Dying due to camera work will be fixed. I will figure out a setDamage false then true to prevent dying during cut scenes. Or setCaptive. Fix coming.

3. Negative. AI not tweaked at all. Player should use his/her favorite AI mod like ASR AI, bCombat, etc.

4. Yes. Its a tug of war that only presents one group of enemies at a time. I have randomized time between attack groups from 15 to 20 seconds. I can increase that from 15 to 60. Open to suggestions.

5. No limit yet for how often you can request. Whatever your PC can handle.

6. Yes! But that's no fun.......a waste of players time and don't be surprised by what you find when you finally do make it East! Honestly this is not a mission too focused on beating the mission....it's more like beating this particular group of enemies that you've just been presented with. It takes a small inspiration from Shadow of Mordor nemesis system and Lone Survivor movie.

I had to look up a 1954 trailer of the seven samurai.

:) I'm referring particularly to the methodical way, commanding samurai (Kambei) was marking each killed bandit. So - each kill matters - each means one bad guy less to care of. So I borrowed the movie title to name this style of mission making as my favourite. Great, great movie BTW.

Edited by Rydygier

:) I'm referring particularly to the methodical way, commanding samurai (Kambei) was marking each killed bandit. So - each kill matters - each means one bad guy less to care of. So I borrowed the movie title to name this style of mission making as my favourite. Great, great movie BTW.

Ah nice. I learned somethings looking it up also. And yes, each kill here is kinda special. Wish the game had even more ragdoll animations. For anyone curious, watching them roll down a him after landing that shot is worth testing the mission.:bounce3:

New Version is up on frontpage.

Changelog

1/3/2015

1. Added radio Delta to request group that player can lead. Randomized spawn distance.

2. Increased randomized break point between firefights from 15-20 secs to 15-60 secs.

3. Reduced chance player gets killed during camera scenes by setDamage false for 5 secs.

New Version uploaded.

Changelog

1. Changed HeliCAS East WP from SAD to Loiter

2. Fixed "Cannot create non-ai vehicle RHS_Mi8AMTSh_vdv" by replacing with different vehicle.

3. Randomized starting position of friendly ground forces even further.

4. Fixed spawning into ocean for good. Apparently using with BIS_fnc_selectRandom did not like exact halfway position. so marker 16 always landed you in ocean. Who knew?

5. Transport Helicopters (East and West) will now be engaged and still be able to focus on landing troops.

6. Added 19 Tracks total

7. Friendly CAS will only be around for a limited time;

8. Added chance to face ZSU-4-23, 2s25, 2s3M, BM-21, BMD-1. Will add more in the next releases.

Can somebody test with new version of RHS and report back any issues?

New Version uploaded on front page.

1/5/2015

23. Fixed APC spawn 100m instead of 500m

24. Camera feature now includes showing last AI killed on map even if not directly by Player.:yay:

25. Added a pistol with 2 mags to player.

So, trying newest version, but with RHS 0.3.0 (waiting for Armaholic mirror of 0.3.5, not using torrents). Notes:

Error position: <select 3,_this select 4,_this select 5,_>

14:24:16 Error Zero divisor

14:24:16 File missions\__cur_sp.altis\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf, line 187

2. Music may be too loud. From my Pilgrimage experience - people stopped to grumble at 0.4 volume.

3. No limit for allies in fact spoils the game. For me it looks like 10x 0-0-1 and onwards! Suggestion - bound support limit with distance traveled towards east. Like 1 point per 100 meters, where each kind of support has own cost. Maybe also some morale factor fragile to losses to avoid treating allies as cannon fodder? This could delay next support availability, but same for hostiles.

4. Support heli insertion looks nice, but that's the only difference as for functionality from 0-0-1. And takes longer. So not sure, if perhaps 0-0-1 should be somehow replaced with heli insertion as less magical way to add some units?

5. Then under 0-0-2 could be added some land vehicle support instead.

6. Arty support perhaps?

7. Ammo drop?

8. Would be nice to have (if not present) some workaround for "omitted enemy == empty map till the end". I suggest despawn hostlies if too far from player. It helps both for intentional outflanking trick and for the case, where some hostile was left behind accidentally.

9. maybe sometimes hostiles should be more numerous and consist some static defensive positions with garrisoning and such? For more varied situations.

10. Kill cam is really nice. Some time ago I did for Gunther something like bullet cam from A2 by scripter, I can't recall, just a bit more fancy. Probably not only me. For long range sniping this may be nice idea too, including shot evaluation (and support points reward for kills?).

11. Maybe some additoinal radio traffic commenting progress and situation? And as battle background - just a thought for better immersion (voice acting would be perfcet, but text alone OK too), nothing specific.

12. Perhaps sometimes hostiles could be spawned not East of me, but N or S, then moving on interception route? It's kinda annoying, that certainty, so enemy WILL block directly my current route soon.

Haha, should have read this thread first and then played. When the mission spawned a vehicle was in my way, i ran around it and kept pushing east. Guess it was 15 to 20 min wasted of my time :) I'll play again soon knowing i need to kill! :) Thanks

Haha, should have read this thread first and then played. When the mission spawned a vehicle was in my way, i ran around it and kept pushing east. Guess it was 15 to 20 min wasted of my time :) I'll play again soon knowing i need to kill! :) Thanks

Lol. :p I guess that start does get you pumped to head east! Maybe instead of "how far East....will you go?" I should say "Head East! Take No Prisoners! or something.

Alternatively I am considering Rydygier's suggestions to despawn AI so many meters away.

Thanks for checking it out. Let me know how different the next experience is.:)

So, trying newest version, but with RHS 0.3.0 (waiting for Armaholic mirror of 0.3.5, not using torrents). Notes:

The current version uses 0.3.5 now. Some necessary fixes especially for helicopters in there.

Error position: <select 3,_this select 4,_this select 5,_>
14:24:16 Error Zero divisor
14:24:16 File missions\__cur_sp.altis\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf, line 187 

Fixed

2. Music may be too loud. From my Pilgrimage experience - people stopped to grumble at 0.4 volume.

Thanks I agree with this and was thinking about reducing it. It is done.

3. No limit for allies in fact spoils the game. For me it looks like 10x 0-0-1 and onwards! Suggestion - bound support limit with distance traveled towards east. Like 1 point per 100 meters, where each kind of support has own cost. Maybe also some morale factor fragile to losses to avoid treating allies as cannon fodder? This could delay next support availability, but same for hostiles.

I have been thinking about a system that earns you xp as you cover more land that you can spend for different support. I like the penalty for friendly death.

I think the direction I will go due to my lack of coding skills :) is to just keep it simple and simply randomize the kind of support you get. That way each battle (face off) is against a random EAST group/vehicle by a random WEST group/vehicle...and you are there to influence the outcome as you move EAST.

4. Support heli insertion looks nice, but that's the only difference as for functionality from 0-0-1. And takes longer. So not sure, if perhaps 0-0-1 should be somehow replaced with heli insertion as less magical way to add some units?

5. Then under 0-0-2 could be added some land vehicle support instead.

6. Arty support perhaps?

If I randomize the support as described in 3. above then this issue in 4,5 goes away. Maybe even 6 is a possible support. Example EAST is approaching with a Tank. WEST then shows up with Arty. Who wins? You also have in your bagpack Mines, and AT launcher is not too far away. Just some thoughts. Another example..enemy Hind approaching, West then gets an Appache. Who wins? etc.

7. Ammo drop?

I am including some code that helps by adding ammo after each confrontation in the upcoming version. I will think about adding a dedicated ammo drop script.

8. Would be nice to have (if not present) some workaround for "omitted enemy == empty map till the end". I suggest despawn hostlies if too far from player. It helps both for intentional outflanking trick and for the case, where some hostile was left behind accidentally.

I am on it. Good suggestion.

9. maybe sometimes hostiles should be more numerous and consist some static defensive positions with garrisoning and such? For more varied situations.

I am on it. Good suggestion.

10. Kill cam is really nice. Some time ago I did for Gunther something like bullet cam from A2 by scripter, I can't recall, just a bit more fancy. Probably not only me. For long range sniping this may be nice idea too, including shot evaluation (and support points reward for kills?).

Thanks. I will think about bullet time only when carrying a sniper riffle. I just have to figure a way to filter on sniper riffle.

11. Maybe some additoinal radio traffic commenting progress and situation? And as battle background - just a thought for better immersion (voice acting would be perfcet, but text alone OK too), nothing specific.

I am on it. Good suggestion. Will need some help.

12. Perhaps sometimes hostiles could be spawned not East of me, but N or S, then moving on interception route? It's kinda annoying, that certainty, so enemy WILL block directly my current route soon.

I think this is because you are a mission maker and you know all the tricks. I will randomize it a bit. Also the AI mod you use may also influence how they attack.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and provide this feedback Rydygier!

I just have to figure a way to filter on sniper riffle.

I think, such rifle combines two things: optics with big enough zoom and big enough caliber. Maybe also/instead of caliber - bullet's init speed. Not perfect criteria, but good enough, I think. All may be taken from the config after some juggling with classes. But there is a shortcut too. You can use itemType function. One of possible outcome is "SniperRifle". It uses cursor = "srifle" value to distinguish sniper rifles. Question is, if this should also cover modded weaponry and if so, if each will use same cursor value.

Edited by Rydygier

I tried mission a few times but no Op4 AI ever appears. All friendly supports work but no opposition.

What am I missing?

Suggestions?

I tried mission a few times but no Op4 AI ever appears. All friendly supports work but no opposition.

What am I missing?

Suggestions?

Did you wait for at least 45 sec to one minute after start? Any notification of enemies approaching?

I Absolutely spent many minutes with no

notification or contact.

Had a few liesurely strolls with my AI team.

I made it half way to the land bridge before

the boredom set in. Thank god for MCC.

I'll definitely give it another try. Thanx.

I Absolutely spent many minutes with no

notification or contact.

Had a few liesurely strolls with my AI team.

I made it half way to the land bridge before

the boredom set in. Thank god for MCC.

I'll definitely give it another try. Thanx.

I think I found the issue. Start marker was too close to water body in a few cases causing enemy tank from east to spawn 500m east potentially creating this problem.

I will upload a fixed version version soon with some exciting features and content. :)

Thanks for checking it out.

In the mean time if you restart you will likely get another starting point.

If you don't see any action within 1min then something is wrong. ;)

I think, such rifle combines two things: optics with big enough zoom and big enough caliber. Maybe also/instead of caliber - bullet's init speed. Not perfect criteria, but good enough, I think. All may be taken from the config after some juggling with classes. But there is a shortcut too. You can use itemType function. One of possible outcome is "SniperRifle". It uses cursor = "srifle" value to distinguish sniper rifles. Question is, if this should also cover modded weaponry and if so, if each will use same cursor value.

Thanks for the suggestion Rydygier. I released the killshotcam as a mod and this is slated as something to do.

I like the bullet init speed idea combined with caliber.

I will probably just start with the shortcut ;)

New version available on front page.

Changelog:

1/9/2015

32. Added tactical glasses for those who use mods like LHM glasses

1/11/2015

33. Added ambient combat sound script from forums here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168435-Ambient-Combat-Sound/page2 Thanks Mikey74 for suggestion and help with code.

34. Removed fatigue player...may reverse. Fun over realism for now

1/13/2015

35. Added more content:

BMD4,BMD2,BMP2,BMP1,BRM1K,BTR60,BTR70,BTR80,GAZZ23011,GAZZ55,KAMAZ63968,T72B,T80,UAZ469,URAL4320,ZSU423

d

1/14/2014

36. Repositioned starting markers to ensure enemy spawn on land

37. Added Tanks for support

38. Enemies outside 1000m are killed to progress the game.

39. Delete dead bodies and wrecks for performance reasons using desciption.ext

40. Added Explosive charges to player backpack

Edited by sttosin