Sign in to follow this  
eddo36

Combat Mission: Black Sea

http://www.battlefront.com/blacksea

NATO vs. Russia in Ukraine in 2017. Though I think in the real world the loser will just use nukes.

Combat Mission: Black Sea is a military simulation depicting a fictional 2017 conflict between NATO and Russia in Ukraine. Following the events in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine in 2014, the Kiev government and Russia continue to clash over the status of the contested regions. This culminates several years later in a dramatic announcement by Ukraine that they will be joining NATO and the EU. Tensions explode as Russia perceives a direct threat to Russian citizens and deploy troops to the Ukrainian border again, while Western governments, welcoming a chance to expand NATO and EU influence eastward, mobilize as well. The escalation continues until the summer of 2017, when a large firefight erupts between Ukrainian and Russian troops in the Donetsk region. The next day fighting flares up on the border, and on a dark early morning in June 2017, pre-positioned Russian and NATO forces roll forward into Ukraine.

Just to say in advance, we should leave all the political discussion in the corresponding offtopic threads and concentrate here purely on this game.

On topic: I am waiting for this game since it was said that there was something similar in development.

I like Shock Force very much but I would like to see a more symmetrical modern war scenario and this is exactly the case with Black Sea.

It also seems that they have made a lot of interesting updates for the engine since Shock Force.

I´d like to get into the combat mission stuff but it just seems a bit too expensive for such an old game. And what package would one need to buy anyway?

The price is of course always an issue with such niche titles (Im looking at you Steel Beasts Pro PE).

But right now the core Shock Force without the expansions costs apparently 15$ on Battlefront. There is a free demo too (we rarely see something like that today).

Black Sea is a separate not yet released title.

And there are a ton of WW2 CM titles, but I have no idea about them,

I´d like to get into the combat mission stuff but it just seems a bit too expensive for such an old game. And what package would one need to buy anyway?

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

^store page list of their game series, older ones like the base Shock Force being cheaper

Edited by Eddo36

The pricing just puts me off. They charge you 20$ for what is essentially a long released unit pack DLC. And this Black Sea thing wich is essentially an Addon will cost 55$. That is just retarded. No wonder that they are not on Steam.

The whole store has ridiculous pricing. The Battle for Caen DLC for Theatre of war 2 costs 15$. It´s 1,99 on Steam.....

And them beeing niche is maybe just because of that stupid pricing.

I agree.

Is it really worth it? How easy/hard is to play it?

I tried the Shock Force, but the keys were a bit annoying, have they improved the interface?

• Like 1