mathias_eichinger

[SP/@] War of Dagestan (RWO)

Hey lads,

I just updated my mission and apart from the squad leader issuing embark/disembark commands, it should work worry free, but I admit that clearing the castle is a bit on the hard side. What do you think?

Inspired by: The Russian counterattack against an Islamic militant incursion that finally triggered the Second Chechen War.
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Dagestan

Version: 1.2

Required Addons

All in Arma Terrain Pack http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26682
NATO SF and Russian Spetsnaz Weapons http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21912
RHS Armed Forces of the Russian Federation http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27150

Contents:
-One folder for use in the editor (feel free to learn and copy from this mission).
-One pbo that goes into the "missions" folder to play right away.

Overview:
The Invasion of Dagestan, also known as the War in Dagestan, began when the Chechnya-based Islamic International Brigade (IIB), an Islamist militia led by warlords Shamil Basayev and Ibn al-Khattab, invaded the neighboring Russian republic of Dagestan on 2 August 1999, in support of the Shura of Dagestan separatist rebels. The war ended with a major Russian victory and the retreat of the IIB. The Invasion of Dagestan was the casus belli for the Second Chechen War.

Changelog:
-Cinematics added
-Radio messages added (I could need a Russian accented voice actor)
-Starting location changed to avoid the bug with crashing into the trees

Known Issues:
-Embark/Disembark command repeatedly issued from the squad commander, don't know how to stop this.

Download

http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/MY2gjLe6/file.html

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365608146

Armaholic mirror:

- [RWO] War of Dagestan (@) v1.2

Credits go to:
-Bullsh, Corporal_Lib, AlexSegen and especially bardosy for testing and editing advice
-Kronzky for his UPS script
-massi and RHS for their well made and very useable respective addons
-BIS for providing us with such an open game where editors can create stuff as they please

Cheers

Mathias

Edited by mathias_eichinger
Armaholic mirror added
  • Like 2

I love the subject and mission(RWO all the way), there were still some technical issues with me though. For example, during the entire mission one of the vehicles showed the 'Disembark' sign/message. Another thing was that after the leaders got killed and I received leadership, I didn't get any more objectives and I didn't know how to finish it. A suggestion I'd like to make is to use Leigh's OPFOR pack, especially the Chechen Rebels based faction! Keep up the good work!

Hey Bullsh,

thank you for trying this one out! The problem with this disembark message is that the squad leader intends to move on to the second objective only to let the squadmates disembark again when they detect enemies - rinse and repeat for any single contact. I might cure that by making the player leader to begin with and put a hint that the first objective is done (this is the editing problem I posted the mission for to look for a solution). I will have a look at Leigh's OPFOR pack, but on the other side I am trying to limit addon requirements as much as possible to enhance accessibility of my mission (most people are scared away by a large addons list).

while you're generally right that long addon lists scare people away, i'd like to say i have nothing against it. as long as those addons add some realism and improve overall scenario feel i'm ok with that. besides, i launch arma with 20+addons anyway:-)

Love the mission too Mathias, I didn´t care much to the first objective not completing - you´ve warned about that - but I´ve noticed that the AI declares the city area cleared, but them single "chechens" spawn at random positions on the edge of the city area, so maybe those random guys could be undermining the trigger... anyway, at least the end triger works, but there were still 4 enemies at the castle when, again, the AI annouced area clear and the mission ended...

I just love the RWO concept and missions, keep them coming (still waiting for "Raid at Entebbe" thou lol)

cheers!

There is no syncron between Create Task and Task State for the first objective. Drag the syncron and it will work.

(it was tricky to find, because there is a thin, blue line between these, but it is an other sync. Drag the Task State a little bit other place, and you will see.

Thank you guys for your helpful feedback, I will implement it in the next weeks. Also, an Armaholic mirror for this mission is up!

Yo, I enjoyed playing with russian this time but I had some problems. When I get shot, I can't heal myself. Even having first aids in my inventory.

This mission has been updated to Version 1.1 please check the first post.

@AlexSegen: Thank you for trying out, but I cannot replicate the bug you describe. Do you use any AI scripts that contain a first aid function perhaps and interfere with the standard medipack system?

This mission has been updated to Version 1.1 please check the first post.

@AlexSegen: Thank you for trying out, but I cannot replicate the bug you describe. Do you use any AI scripts that contain a first aid function perhaps and interfere with the standard medipack system?

Nope, I ran Arma 3 only with required mods. I'm gonna try again with new versión and give my feedback soon. Thanks for your work :)

Just finished it. Interesting scenario and topic. My thoughts:

Clearing the village was too easy cause the IFVs steamrolled through it. I hardly got to fire a shot since we disembarked in a midst of a firefight and the AI adopted to it easily while i instinctively ran for cover avoiding to get shot:)

Capturing the castle was much more fun. A bit hard but ok. I wouldn't decrease the number of opfor, it's their stronghold and it's supposed to be difficult. Friendlies got slaughtered quickly so i cleared it pretty much on my own. CQB old school:)

Cinematic is simple and short, but it's nice to have it though. Interesting mission overall, keep it up!

Hi,

I can only recommend to anyone - give it a go!

This mission is one of the best I've ever played.

Great mission and kudos to mathias.

Greetings

McLupo

• Like 1

this is only 1 mission right? taking the village and pushing on to the castle? because it stopped for me after that. Good scenario though

I wish there were other mssions - or a campaign?

very cool mission!

First try, I was confused by the AI boarding and dismounting from the BMP so I figured I'd stay outside.. Restarted after the bunch took off without me, lol.

Second run was just awesome, no issues apart from the squadlead-rap-performance you mentioned before. I also tried a third time and allowed myself to change the daytime to dawn and add a fair amount of fog. I don't know, I personally do't get immersed too much by sunshine and clear skies in Arma3, but I do  get mind blown in low light settings and artificial light sources quite easily.

Hmm, my first start was a fail, will try without AI mods (bcombat). After we dismounted from BMP there was a battle between ArmAs hawk eye AI, we were in the grass and attacked far away forest. Suddenly "area clear" without me having seen an enemy. Then they started a commanding loop which made me crazy. And entered/dismounted BMP permanently.

EDIT: Now without bCombat it's working. Their BMP driving skills were horrible, we crashed the other BMP. And now there's a drunken helicopter pilot flying, who is permanently rotating. Maybe its the 360° view tactics.

Hmm, my first start was a fail, will try without AI mods (bcombat). After we dismounted from BMP there was a battle between ArmAs hawk eye AI, we were in the grass and attacked far away forest. Suddenly "area clear" without me having seen an enemy. Then they started a commanding loop which made me crazy. And entered/dismounted BMP permanently.

EDIT: Now without bCombat it's working. Their BMP driving skills were horrible, we crashed the other BMP. And now there's a drunken helicopter pilot flying, who is permanently rotating. Maybe its the 360° view tactics.

Maybe try the Vcom AI Driving mod:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177206-vcom-ai-driving-mod/