Sign in to follow this  
Oispakaljaa

Arma 3 performance, what to upgrade?

Especially in multiplayer servers I have low fps. King of the hill and big city=20fps..

What I should upgrade?

GTX 770

i5-4590 3.3ghz

8gb 1600mhz RAM

Got arma on Crucial MX 100 SSD

Subject has been debated alot. I wouldnt spend money just for a game, but you can never go wrong updating graphics cards, it def wont hurt performance. Id also upgrade your cooling and look into a bigger cpu overclock, but do so at your own risk!

Your rig is absolutely fine, there is no point of upgrading it.

Sadly many multiplayer gamemode get on the server low fps (due to bad code/poor optimization). So it greatly impact on player fps.

Like has been said, your rig is fine for 'normal' games. For Arma it would be pointless to upgrade the gpu as the game pretty much ignores it. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then get the fastest quadcore on the market and some nitro cooling so u can clock it at 7ghz.

one tip: NEVER EVER upgrade for arma 3, it wont help. BI needs to upgrade the engine instead.

Turbo speed of the cpu is 3.7ghz --make sure the power profile is maxed.

There's a thread 'bout using faster ram --might be the way to go.

one tip: NEVER EVER upgrade for arma 3, it wont help. BI needs to upgrade the engine instead.

Best suggestion....

Nothing. Only suggestion is to get a faster CPU. I know the 45xx series is fairly new and fast, but 3.3GHz is going to chug on the main thread. 4.0GHz+ would run it better.

That said, it's Arma, so there's hardly a guarantee that you'll actually get better performance. MP performance probably won't change at all.

Especially in multiplayer servers I have low fps. King of the hill and big city=20fps..

What I should upgrade?

GTX 770

i5-4590 3.3ghz

8gb 1600mhz RAM

Your gpu is better then my 2 580ti's but yet I get 35+fps in cities, Im running an I7 with 4gb ram, and 850psu, imo think you should look at your vid settings

ingame and see what you can turn down to get better fps.

i think upgrade your CPU as the game is cpu intensive.

Whats your power supply?

Also we already have a place for what your asking

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147391-Will-my-PC-run-Arma3-What-CPU-GPU-to-get-What-settings-What-System-Specifications

Rig is fine, recent patches notably after 132, have seen performance drop. Go on to Dev branch and see what your running at.

Dont waste money upgrading. Specially not your gpu the 770 is a solid card.

Yes you are most likely getting bad performance from the server you connect to, nothing to do with your rig

Benchmark your rig in single player

For everything that everyone complains about Arma 3 being sluggish, I'd like to see Arma 2 even remotely try and run KOTH on Altis. If you've played with the All in Arma Terrain Pack, you'll see the massive performance boost you get WHEN RUNNING AT HIGHER GRAPHICS SETTINGS COMPARED TO ARMA 2. That's not to say that I don't believe there's deeply rooted issues with the engine that can still be improved...But, for everything it does, on MASSIVE terrains compared to EVERY OTHER AAA TITLE OUT THERE, Arma 3 runs like a wet dream.

OP: You've got a fine system as it stands. Try lowering your graphics settings a notch or two. Take a second to decide if you want quality or performance. If you're just itching to spend money, start with the RAM first. It's the easiest and will give you a decent improvement. After that, Arma will want a faster CPU. But, that might require a new Motherboard, which starts to involve a new everything, which can get very expensive very fast...Just do your research before you do anything else.

I run 4 sticks of 4 GB RAM (no clue what speed), an Intel i5-2500, Nvidia 660ti, and installed A3 on a WD Black 2TB HDD. I push Arma 3 onto 3 screens via a Matrox TripleHead2Go, and I'm 100% content with the performance I currently get. I plan on upgrading in the future, but by the time I have enough cash saved up I'll be looking at future-proofing for Arma 4 with an entire brand new machine from the ground up.

Yeah, KOTH with 120 players at that. A2 would just straight up crash if you tried. Performance has definitely improved. It's still not BF4/CoD level FPS, and MP still has its issues, but I'm happy now with what we got. BIS isn't EA after all, so it's a bit ridiculous to expect $500m budget results for a $15m budget game.

Yeah, KOTH with 120 players at that. A2 would just straight up crash if you tried. Performance has definitely improved. It's still not BF4/CoD level FPS, and MP still has its issues, but I'm happy now with what we got. BIS isn't EA after all, so it's a bit ridiculous to expect $500m budget results for a $15m budget game.

Unplayable is unplayable. Nobody cares if it's better than some XY game, that doesn't make A3 any better. KOTH is unplayable, just like most other high populated/heavy missions (Wasteland, RPG).

I have a similar PC to yours and I feel no wish to upgrade just for Arma 3. But if you want better pefromance here are some options:

1. OC your CPU. A faster CPU will yield better results.

2. OC your RAM. Faster RAM is better.

3. Trade in your CPU and get a better one (e.g. i7 4790K).

Changing your GPU will do nothing unless you're playing the game in some very high resolutions.

Edited by noob1

I'm curious which other games allow more than 60 players to be on the same map with 60fps without rubber banding or other desync issues, on top of that with more than 50 AI units being involved.

Cause most people are acting like it's possible in every other game than arma.

Unplayable is unplayable. Nobody cares if it's better than some XY game, that doesn't make A3 any better. KOTH is unplayable, just like most other high populated/heavy missions (Wasteland, RPG).
Apparently there's thousands of people who disagree with you and play KOTH/Wasteland just fine :shrug:

Apparently there's thousands of people who disagree with you and play KOTH/Wasteland just fine :shrug:

I've been wondering about that for a while. How the hell can people play with 15-20 FPS? The same applies to DayZ

I've been wondering about that for a while. How the hell can people play with 15-20 FPS? The same applies to DayZ
Other people have different tolerances than you :shrug:

As said, try a different server. I get good FPS on both DTAS and EUTW with similar specs (Except I have i5-4690k at 4.2GHz). TACBF for example gives me a bit low FPS (20-25) in some of their missions. I wouldn't even bother trying wasteland and the likes. King of the hill depends on server I suppose, most likely due to server configuration (not to be mistaken with server hardware!).

What I should upgrade?

GTX 770

i5-4590 3.3ghz

8gb 1600mhz RAM

If your Singleplayer runs fine, it is almost always the server which is the limiting factor.

I remember some of the King of Hill servers had a horrible performance when I played there.

Try playing somewhere else.

Sometimes some cache seems to clot up, too. So restart your PC regularily and in game you can get a few more FPS sometimes if you press [ LEFT SHIFT ] and [ - ] and type [ flush ]. It clears some kind of Arma 3 cache.

OP, your specs look good. If you want to bump up the FPS a bit more here's my advice: Buy a closed loop water cooler for $100-$150 followed by two Noctua high pressure fans (best fans in the biz) in a push/pull config on your radiator. Then start OC your CPU, you're at 3.3 but there's no reason you couldn't reach 4ghz (and thus will see a VERY nice FPS jump). If you want to take a step forward pay attention to the airflow in your tower. Try to build positive fan pressure inside the case with the radiator fans being the exhaust, you will see a DRAMATIC drop in temps all around (and thus improve your CPU overclock).

If you're just tired of playing on shit servers you could try mine, which I've been told by many players is very well optimized and runs buttery smooth. Check my signature for more info if you're interested.