Sign in to follow this  
MrCopyright

British pound symbol not appearing

Hello.

Whenever I try to display a control or a hint containing a British pound symbol, it is simply not displayed. For example, hint "£25000" would just return 25000. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Could be that some special characters just aren't recognized by the game at all?

Hello.

Whenever I try to display a control or a hint containing a British pound symbol, it is simply not displayed. For example, hint "£25000" would just return 25000. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Are you using mods? Maybe some modder replaced default font. If not, then try game integrity check.

It's not the only case. Some time ago tried to display in the diary task title "S&D" (vanilla). Result was: "S?". Apparently there are some special characters...

save your sqf with utf-8 (**or utf-16) encoding.

special characters need utf-8 to show in game (same applies with stringtable.xml, its how we get russian characters)

**edit: according to String

Edited by dr_strangepete
utf-8 or 16...

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not using any mods and I shall try saving the .sqf file differently.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Update: I saved the files with utf-8 encoding and they work fine. Thanks a lot dr_strangepete.

Oh dear :) If only everyone used Notepad++...

EDIT: Just checked, NPP default save is ANSI not UTF-8

Edited by Killzone_Kid

Oh dear :) If only everyone used Notepad++...

EDIT: Just checked, NPP saves in ANSI not UTF-8 and £ works

odd, because i was able to reproduce the character not showing when simply swapping between ansi (npp's default) and utf-8, reentering alt-156 to fix the corruption from conversion. execVM'd a test.sqf with only hint "[symbol]"; (edit: tried a few more times, including converting, back and forth, same results for me- ansi encoding will not show the character)

i'm not all too familiar with character sets, but i did notice the actual ansi set has the pound symbol as '163', instead of the ascii set '156'...

(stable branch, win 7)

Edited by dr_strangepete
tried some more

odd, because i was able to reproduce the character not showing when simply swapping between ansi (npp's default) and utf-8, reentering alt-156 to fix the corruption from conversion. execVM'd a test.sqf with only hint "[symbol]"; (edit: tried a few more times, including converting, back and forth, same results for me- ansi encoding will not show the character)

i'm not all too familiar with character sets, but i did notice the actual ansi set has the pound symbol as '163', instead of the ascii set '156'...

(stable branch, win 7)

Ha! The file I used to test it with happened to be UTF-8 encoded after all, how bizzare :)

Ha! The file I used to test it with happened to be UTF-8 encoded after all, how bizzare :)

was it originally created with notepad++ or previously converted? might be a npp bug; i don't fully trust npp yet (based on display/corruption issues i've experienced over a couple years)

was it originally created with notepad++ or previously converted? might be a npp bug; i don't fully trust npp yet (based on display/corruption issues i've experienced over a couple years)

I might have previously saved it as UTF-8 but all I did is looked at default setting in NPP.