Sign in to follow this  
gravyface

Talk to me about ArmA 3 Multiplayer

Ask Leon who plays DTAS with us, somehow for 3 rounds in a row he managed to have an enemy step on his mine, and in DTAS you only get 1 mine with the settings we use! You can be sure he was pretty happy with it :)

Of course, we also have a guy who stepped on friendly mines twice in a row, too...

The person in question hes talking about is none other than me, god damn we laughed so long and hard when it happened. you hear the beep-beep from placing a mine, and a couple min later. kaboom. for 3 defensive rounds. it was amazing.

Small correction Galzohar the name is DrasLeona in full, but they call me Leona because i would imagine its easier for them to pronounce than Dras.

Now, the scenario was in one of the towns adjacent a damn hill and it had a route up and down the hill that had great vegetation cover, and when prone you could hide behind the small ridge. We heard their vehicle and one of our scouts (me), i had ran up the hill along the crease to have a height advantage to see the objective and past it, in case the enemy came from the other direction than the hill. i had positioned the Tripwire about 10 meters up the hill in a very useful assaulting position, which was the most ideal and secure access to the crease i was in. I had crawled up the hill when i heard their teams sniper pull the trigger, because its a threat that i'm okay with sacrificing myself for. I found his ass, killed him and the marksman next to him and died from their AR cutting me in half.

I was dead and now spectating from the point of view of others, namely Galzohar. they were not exposing themself to the hill and kept eyes on routes they would need to take. the enemy AR who killed me ran down the hill while exposed into the crease missing my tripwire by 5 meters, but the guy following him walked right into it killing himself and was unknown what happened to the AR guy, i would think he got hurt and died from a 40mm launched at his position moments later.

The tactics that were there are in plain sight. The entire team knew to keep their fucking head down from the hill, because we found the direction that the enemy was coming from before we were in a firefight or in danger. the entire team reacted and hid from them, because our objective is the zone we have to protect, and they have to COME into it to take it. We won that round and had a very long heavy laugh at the fact someone stood on the tripwire, because at the beginning Galzohar said , and im quoting ''You're never going to kill anyone with it''

Next defense round i set up a tripwire in north west entrance to the single biolab military compound, obj was inside compound in the south about 70m away.

We were all waiting for anyone to find the enemy and know where the hell they are. and all of a sudden theres a very satisfying explosion to the northwest, followed by 40mm being sent their way.

the defense round following that was in a city somewhere on altis but it had certain features and layout of houses and fences that caused a bottleneck from the whole northeast arc. i found a place to hide to overlook it and laid my tripwire and waited. After 2 min of tense lookout and binoculars out became a situation where half of the defenders were found and suppressed from, you guessed it northeast.

I glanced over to my tripwire and i saw a guy walk past it and his buddy stopped next to it, not seeing it. i shot near him spooking him and he hit the tripwire, and 2 of the attackers died. i relocated to the second position where i had eyes on the same bottleneck where the 2 dead attackers were and waited. i killed 1 more of them and a 40mm killed me but that was from the last attacker while we had 7 guys still alive and we won.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

When you have a group of enemies go over a minefield you set. It leaves a great feeling inside :D

I agree enemy hitting a minefield is great, but when you only have 1 mine, a tripwire and you manage to catch an enemy in that tripwire for 3 rounds in a row, think of the great feeling inside multiply it and it resulted in the entire team laughing on comms. because when you have a possibility to be attacked from literally every single direction on the compass and with 1 small tripwire you manage to catch someone in it. its exhilarating and good planning. not to mention to have your team allow you to go put it, and not engage enemy that are coming exactly from that direction because shooting at them will make them want to take a new approach. i say that because the 1st out of 3 consecutive mine kills there was a member of defending team with a Grenade launcher aimed and waiting at the poor fucker on the hill. and because he understood my intentions and saw it would be amazingly benefical he didnt start lobbing 40mm as soon as he knew where they were, instead waited and saw a guy literally die from taking a wrong step and secure a kill on the AR that was nearby.

Great to see the number of TacBF players increased during the past month! Now the server is filled with players every day of the week from ~17.00 GMT and forward. Peak time large battles with 60+ players are common so if you planned to try it out now is the time.

If it's your first time playing I highly recommend you to join a squad and use Task Force Radio (even if you don't have a mic, just use chat to respond on group channel) for the teamwork experience and don't be affraid to ask (in game or over at their forum) if something is unclear, most ppl are happy to help/explain how things works.

DL the required mods over at:

http://www.tacbf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=341

Then jump on to their TS3 server at tacbf.ts3dns.com and the A3 server IP# below (or filter for "tacbf").

31.210.129.135:2312

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Thanks for being really helpfull - hope I can return the favor some day.

Edited by Stompem

well to speak of good coop or pvp, Im trying to bring KaRRiLLioNs RTS part ofp style ,part arma1 (were KaRR left off.

In RTS its a coop within A pvp mission. actually RTS is ctf/tvt/coop/cti all in 1.

ive been working on this for a while, I failed in arma2, so trying in arma3.

80% done. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?189400-looking-for-help-Im-updating-an-old-mission-KaRRiLioNs-RTS

After a short leave I had some time to get back into TacBF and now the server are filled to the brim (70 players) on evenings (GMT) and I had problems getting a slot.

Great to see so many players from all over the world and it makes TacBF even more fun since the larger battles gets armour as well as heli CAS support.

/KC

Just wanted to chip in re PvP, I'm currently in the process of getting a community up and running where we'll be putting 2 factions against each other over 10 weeks to battle for control of Altis. Hopefully running 50vs50 pure PvP for up to 6 hours each week, a vague description I know but more details will be coming out in the next week

Try Wasteland, it's like DayZ but without Zombies. You need to survive, eat and drink, build your base, and defend yourself against player attacks or plan your own attacks with your group. Pick a server with alot of people and you'll find your joy!

Noticed a some had connection issue on the TacBF server past nights due to the recent updates. If you have problems DL/updating RHS download the AFRF and USAF updaters from RHS DL page and put all the files in the mod folders and run the bat files ...

http://www.rhsmods.org/downloads

It make use of wget and will open up a "old school" command window. wget automaticly verifies your installation and DL whats needed as well as auto resume if the DL was aborted.

For the other updates see URL below...

http://www.tacticalbattlefield.net/forum/app.php/page/download

If yo need more help jump over to their forum or on to their TS3 server @ tacbf.ts3dns.com, there are always someone that are willing to help (if the lobby is empty it means that a game is ongoing so just wait and people will move up to the lobby again when the game has ended).

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Here is another video by l337acc well worth watching if you get your a** whooped like me :)

/KC

Thinking about pulling the trigger on ArmA 3 on Steam, but I'm a bit wary of the multiplayer aspect as it seems to be so heavily co-op. I put a lot of hours into BF2:PR and while the engine was obviously limited, it was some of the best MP I've ever played because of the squad tactics, placing team objectives ahead of personal kills, and the combined arms cooperation that was imperative to win (you literally couldn't get to the insertion points without air transport, which required a proper squad of chopper pilots to run). But it was PvP, just on a grand scale with 64+ players.

I have ArmA 2, but never got into it because all the servers were multiplayer co-op, humans vs. dim-witted bots; now this was a couple of years ago, things may have changed, but the public servers all seemed to be co-op which seemed completely mind-boggling.

Hit up YouTube for ArmA 3 videos and they too seem to be all co-op.

What gives?

When you buy it you should know that you buy a mediocre product with poor support for multiplayer, the performance you will have in multiplayer will be far below what you would expect from any game.

When you buy it you should know that you buy a mediocre product with poor support for multiplayer, the performance you will have in multiplayer will be far below what you would expect from any game.

Yeah whatever. I play mp near every day. Full servers running up to 120 slots without a hitch --all on a low-end system.

That's a fact, not a slanted opinion.

^ he's probably trying to play Wasteland or similar mission type that is known for poor performance

For the OP, dont listen to these people, they probably think that playing with a average of 40 fps is good and do not know any better.

Arma has had fps issue in multiplayer for years and it might have improved a little it still is there.

If you play on a empty server with around 5 or so player you probably wont have it, however when you play on a server with around 50 or so players you are going to have fps issues, you will have a average of around 30 to 40 fps which is to low to really enjoy playing a game no matter how good or bad your pc is, the engine will be the bottleneck.

But you can of course believe the people above me that would most likely say "ah 40 fps is fine its more then enough , you only need 24 " or some bullshit like.

Yeah you're right I don't know any better. I hear you can get good frames with BF4?

"....they probably think that playing with a average of 40 fps is good...."

Haters gonna hate.

Tho i have no idea how 40fps-steady is bad for muli-player --in my aviation games it's common to limit frames to 40 for a smooth ride.

Why do you think people use vsync?

Perhaps your issue is, "Big rig; small mind."? --where the rig goes from 100fps to 40fps every second causing screen tear.

Frames ain't up to your standards?, there's x-box.

Meanwhile, 11,733 players are online right now:

http://arma3.swec.se/server/list

So, 11 thousand odd players must be the, "...dont listen to these people..." guys.

Pitiful.

"....do not know any better." --et toi?

Edited by Ratszo
..., et tu?

It has been some time since the OP posted this topic so he/she probably bought the game or didn't.

To the people above me, the OP was asking about multiplayer not asking for advertisement for the game, if you post such a question on a forum you also want to know what is bad about the game and not just what is good.

But just to reply to your last post, v-sync is mostly set to 60 fps and above, when your game has 30 fps with v-sync on v-sync does absolutly nothing.

As for the 10.000 people that are playing the game, most have accepted the low fps they get in multiplayer and learned to life with it, however it should not be a reason for anyone who thinks about buying the game to not be told about its major flawes.

When another product can provide the same simulation, size and modding/scripting capabilities as the Arma series, but with better performance - let me know.

Until then, nobody is forcing to play if the performance is not up to your standards.

When another product can provide the same simulation, size and modding/scripting capabilities as the Arma series, but with better performance - let me know.

Until then, nobody is forcing to play if the performance is not up to your standards.

Is reading and understanding of context that difficult for you ?

Who ever said that i was being forced to play this game, all i did was tell the OP about some of the flawes in the game he/she can expect when playing this game in multiplayer.

multiplayer in arma is KOH ...... with a cashier in the beginning ;)

we live in 2015, why cant we directly upload pictures? still have to use photobucket? i have problem and would like to post picture to show what is it. but apparently i cant unless i post it on photobucket first, which will require me to remember my pass

Ok, so I just created a new user on my computer so that I have my own account,the problem is, is when I try to play multiplayer my stars are reset and the game seems to not have my profile on the user that I created... I still have the old user on my computer so I was wondering, how to I transfer the ARMA 3 profile to the other account... I have looked it up but I couldn't find anything that helped.