Sign in to follow this  
anthariel

[WIP] Tilos: Greek Island

Hello ArmA Community ;)

Today, it's been a month since I started my work on the first map ( Tilos ), so i take the right to create this little WIP topic :p

After two years of level design on the CryEngine 3 as an amateur I decided to get into the map creation for my favorite game, ARMA 3!

Tilos is a Greek Island located about ~600km below Stratis and Altis, the entire map size represents 62.8km² ( with water of course ), to be clear, this map is not intended to be representative of the island in real life, this first map (for me) is used to experiment some types of gameplay that is possible to reproduce in ArmA 3 ( Close Combat, Heavy Sniper Range... ).

After one month of hard development, I tested with my clan ( Armadeus ), somes parts of Tilos ( Big caves, close combat... ) And I was quite surprised with the result ( awesome tactical gameplay ).

So... Here some screenshots, thanks to [AD]Mike for making them!

Features :

• ~10 Big caves
  • ~4 FOB over 150m above the sea
  • 1 Little airport on the north-west of Tilos
  • Nice for tactical firefights in valleys
  • Nice for close combat firefights
  • Lakes
  • High Definition SatMap & Mask
  • Campaign sp, Showcase, Zeus Missions and Support Missions for the Beta Release included( ~ March? )
  • Friendly FPS

Progress for Alpha : 80%

Thank you and happy holidays :p

Edited by Anthariel
Alpha progress changed

Posting to follow. It already looks incredible, I cant wait to see it finished.

Very nice, the little alleys look great! Keep it up :)

That does look excellent :)

The CQB in those tight alley ways will be lots of hard won fun :)

Wouw! Looking really good so far. Im looking forward to the end product! Keep up the good work.

Some lovely detail in the town there!

Are those the stair objects from Ghost Hotel you've used in the alleyway or a custom object you put together?

Thank you all :D

@WarLord554, i test the IA on a Zeus party, they there's still some problems (especially for the alleys and caves) but I have my own ideas on how to fix it :)

However, once placed directly with zeus in a cave or on a alley, the AI reacts perfectly well using the rocks / houses as cover!

@Major_Desync, yes it'es the stair objects from the ghost hotel ;)

Edit : I'll probably post pictures of the first FOB (Camp Phoenix located 253m high above sea level) on the weekend :)

Edited by Anthariel

Hello everyone.

I have quite advanced and I think I can release an Alpha version of Tilos (western part) in January, some features :

• ~20km² playable. ( with the sea )
  • 1 Military Airport on the little island ( north-west ).
  • Military Phoenix camp.
  • Military Eagle camp.
  • Agios Antonios town.
  • Megalo Chorio town.
  • 4 Caves, 1 Lake.
  • Megalon Castle.
  • Zeus Missions inclued.
  • Showcase : Tilos inclued ( Play -> Showcase menu ), ( English and French version ).

This alpha will be useful for me to know what you think of the tactical side of the environment and possibly, report some bugs...

Edited by Anthariel

I'm really looking forward to the first release. Good news, thank you! :)

Thank to you LAxemann ;)

I just added two things :

Zeus Missions inclued :

Two zeus missions are inclued in with the map in a pbo called Tilos_Alpha_Missions.pbo, one Zeus mission is PVP and the second is PVE.

Also, a showcase " Showcase : Tilos " which will be available in the showcase menu of ArmA3 ( Play -> Showcases ) where you'll play a small singleplayer mission to help you discover Tilos :)

If I have time, I will publish a little teaser ( 1 minute ) at the beginning of January.

Edited by Anthariel

This...this is beautiful! FOB Eagle looks like it's going to be the main focus of some adversarial missions in the future, very unique geography! Must...have...

Thanks ! Glad that you like it! :)

The size of the FOB Eagle makes him the greatest FOB of the island (~300x~280m) so, it is therefore a main target for missions yeah :cool:

Of course it is pre-equipped! ( 1 MedEvac area, 1 LZ Area, 1 Training Area, 2 High visibility tower, 1 basketball and bodybuilding terrain:cool:, two secret entrances, buildings pre-equipped... )

Looks great from what i see. Looks like youve taken your time on the little details, which will pay off :)

in fact, after I try to do it faster and with more quality than possible per day, thank you :)

Edited by Anthariel

Good work Antha, I hope that the release Alpha will be really in january, not months later.... All members Armadeus support you!

Edited by Ice9

Thanks Ice9, to answer to that, here a roadmap :

15 January 2015:

• First Alpha Release ( Weastern part of Tilos )
  • Showcase : Tilos
  • Two benchmark for Tilos
  • Two Zeus missions

30 January 2015:

• Alpha 0.2 release ( correction and optimization based on benchmark )
  • Underwater update ( high detailed underwater terrain )
  • Better mask mapping

Two versions of Tilos will be available : One with pond and lake and another with no pond and lake. The reason is after 2 hours of play I had a bug with the water above sea level, though this bug is very rare and in very specific cases, so I would release an optional download with the lake and ponds.

And... Happy new year in advance ;)

Edited by Anthariel

Im glad your taking the time to add seabed detail, goes a loooong way for mission immersion

@DarkSideSixOfficial : the P3D Models of the lakes provided by BIS work at 50%...

You can swim on the underwater part but not on the surface, that's why I limited the depth of the lakes to the size of the torso. ( thx RV4 )

@WarLord554 : Thank you, with all the ships and submarines mods recently released, I think it's very important to remember :)