Sign in to follow this  
dragon zen

Why my dedicated server only showed in LAN but not on Internet??

Hello friends:

I used TADST to setup a server but it only showed in LAN page but not Internet page. I have open the port 2300 to 2320 or so, and even try to open ALL port in firewall to test this, but it still showed in LAN only. :butbut:

By the way, my internet is in campus, and every time I need to get through the gate, I don't know whether this is the problem. However I can see and join other server, that means my connection is OK...

I saw other people have similar problem but cannot get answer too... Don't know whether anybody has solved similar problem and provide some help.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

In addition, in arma3 server list I can see the ping, but when I play battlefield 4 I cannot see my ping, it is also a strange phenomena of my internet link. Don't know whether these have some relationship.

Hi Dragon,

It could be a few things:

- your ports are being blocked further up the chain (not uncommon on Uni Campus)

- sometimes it can take a long time for server to show up in the in-game browser - ours takes 3-4 minutes

I would try this:

- verify Steam sees your server using this URL:

http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=X.X.X.X

(replace X.X.X.X with your public IP address)

You should get a

"success": true

message as well as info about the server

If that works then it's probably just taking a long time to appear in browser. This is what I do:

- create a hosts.txt file in your A3 client directory (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hosts.txt)

- add your IP : port to the file (if you have more than one server separate on each line) such as: 123.45.67.89:2302

- open up A3 client go to multiplayer click on INTERNET to change to LAN - all servers in hosts file should show up right away.

PS: thanks for your "four Fs" missions - they are a lot of fun!!

Thank you Savage,

I have a "success". Since it is OK, maybe it need longer time to showed in Internet...

I want to ask, do you mean that a dedicated server will be showed as LAN before it showed in Internet page (before several minutes as you said)? Because my server automatically appear in LAN first, even without host.txt ....

Thank you

Hi Dragon,

It could be a few things:

- your ports are being blocked further up the chain (not uncommon on Uni Campus)

- sometimes it can take a long time for server to show up in the in-game browser - ours takes 3-4 minutes

I would try this:

- verify Steam sees your server using this URL:

http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=X.X.X.X

(replace X.X.X.X with your public IP address)

You should get a

"success": true

message as well as info about the server

If that works then it's probably just taking a long time to appear in browser. This is what I do:

- create a hosts.txt file in your A3 client directory (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hosts.txt)

- add your IP : port to the file (if you have more than one server separate on each line) such as: 123.45.67.89:2302

- open up A3 client go to multiplayer click on INTERNET to change to LAN - all servers in hosts file should show up right away.

PS: thanks for your "four Fs" missions - they are a lot of fun!!

Edited by Dragon Zen

Ah I see yes if your server is on your LAN then it will appear there regardless... the hosts.txt file is only really useful if your servers are on public INTERNET as they will appear there instantly instead of having to wait for the MP browser to find them.

You can also use the Steam server browser to find your server.. .I can't remember how to access it right now but it's from within the Steam client itself.

Edited by SavageCDN