Sign in to follow this  
negah

Door Kickers

So I was watching through the games at the Steam sale and have found this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248610/

http://inthekillhouse.com/doorkickers/

At first I was kind of not impressed until I have watched the videos.

And here came the understanding: it is SWAT2 mixed with Ranbow Six and a bit of Ghost Recon.

You control a team of SWAT officers and the objectives are typical for the setting: neutralize the bad guys, hostage rescue, bomb defusal, high risk warrant...

You can control it in real time, you can pre plan and just watch the action and you can pause at any time and change your plan on the fly (GR style).

There are 78 missions and 4 campaigns at the moment, with more campaigns in the making.

That being said the action usually takes 2-3 minutes, although if you hate losing your team members you will sometimes replay your missions a couple of times.

Oh and there is a lot of equipment to choose from (tactical shields hell yeah).

The grafics, though simple, manage to deliver a great atmosphere. And the shootouts, especially when carried over long distances (like parking lot) and thefore taking some time (like 3 seconds instead of 1 if CQB :D), look quite impressive.

And here we come to the not so good part of the game: you are SWAT, you are supposed to save lives, not go in guns blazing (like in R6).

Taking a bad guy alive is quite an achievement, you have a tazer and flashbangs, but as soon as there are more than one suspect in sight, you can forget about taking anyone alive and nt getting killed.

Thankfully there are mods on Steam workshop that fix it a bit by delivering lots of less then lethal weaponry like CS grenades which have a longer lasting effect than flashbangs (and a lot more lethal stuff too).

So you have to give your assault team less then lethal weapons and CS while the covering team have lethal guns.

Still when there are a lot of well armed suspects the mission turns into a mass killing, but this was the case with the SWAT games too.

Oh and it has got a built in mission editor and a mission generator.

Edited by negah
forgot about the mission editor

Oh come on not again. Ive searched it and even when I was typing the "Door Kickers" thread name it hasnt given me a match.

I apologize for recreating an existing thread again, but I think someone should check the search function.

Bought it too, great game. These 52 seconds should be enough to convince those in doubt:

I like it all "choreographed" (you gain a bonus for doing it all in one run) but you can go real time or pausing as needed.

There is squad (classes and tactics), members (skills in general) and weapon (NEW TOYS!) progression - simple yet deep enough to make me care about those little fellas - and it all matters in the gameplay! Long rifles vs SMGs vs Pisto (note the shotgun guy in the video switching to pistol at his final room); Vests; Equip weight etc...

I recommend it in a blink of an eye.

Yep - with Tangos, breaching, doors, banging, clearing, go codes and all; But you have to input your "watch angles" making it even more fun for armchairs generals and tactical nuts.

Actually, giving it a second thought, not exactly as Rogue Spear from above because you never have direct control over the troopers - you draw path and angles.

Maybe in the future? It can work.

But exactly for that case we have got the older Rainbow Six titles. Of course the looks are dated, but I have recently replayed the first R6 and enjoyed it much more than the newer shiny Vegas titles.

I see Door Kickers as a rather fast paced alternative to R6 or SWAT, combining the action and planning phases.

And the minimalistic approach at graphics (youd need a full 3d engine to make it R6 like) has allowed the funding and existence of this game in the first place IMO.

If you do not mean direct control as first person, but rather top down direct control, well that could be (and should be) done I guess.

It bugs me a lot that your police officers are basically shooting everyone whos armed on sight without trying to arrest them when theyre blinded or tazered.

I still would like to see a proper new AAA Rainbow Six or SWAT game, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Oh and merry christmas everyone.

Edited by negah

So a successor has been announced a month ago.

http://inthekillhouse.com/door-kickers-2-announced/

This time it will be special forces in the Middle East with all the stuff you might expect from such a setting. 

You still have to distinguish between enemies and non combattants, but I hope collateral damage wont be that much of a problem this time (HARR HARR).