Sign in to follow this  
onlyrazor

GSC Gameworld, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer, reopens for business. Working on new title.

Gamesindustry.biz interview with current spokesperson

Valentine Yeltyshev, who was a part of the original GSC team, has a few things to say about STALKER 2, West Games and business models.

Encouragingly enough, they still have all the STALKER 2 assets: "Everything is stored! We have all the assets, materials and engine." In addition, they're devoted to making a game old-school style; that means no F2P, and no mobile release (though the next-gen engine is apparently console compatible). "At the moment, we don't need anyone [from the old team] . We have a solid team. We're fine for now, but maybe when we switch to another project we'll expand the team."

Edited by OnlyRazor

Well the question is: how much of the original talent do they have?

Superb news - have been missing their games much. Also great to hear the F2P idea, that was mentioned at some point earlier, was abandoned. Hope they manage to bring some new game out.

The first Stalker was an unpolished gem(still great),Clear Sky was a very bad experiment trying to move the game towards some sort of deathmatch in the Zone,finally Call Of Pripyat is my favourite and the most complete experience.

With all of this I'm not optimistic with the new GSC.We should remember that Stalker SoC had a very rough road with multiple delays(at one point it was called DNF2) and back then GSC was a full team with the backing of a powerfull publisher (THQ).If I remember correctly at one point even THQ got tired with so many delays and send some of their guys to GSC to finally shape up a Stalker 1.0.

I would like to see a full-fledged Stalker 2,but I don't have high hopes that we'll actually get one.

The first Stalker was an unpolished gem(still great),Clear Sky was a very bad experiment trying to move the game towards some sort of deathmatch in the Zone,finally Call Of Pripyat is my favourite and the most complete experience.

With all of this I'm not optimistic with the new GSC.We should remember that Stalker SoC had a very rough road with multiple delays(at one point it was called DNF2) and back then GSC was a full team with the backing of a powerfull publisher (THQ).If I remember correctly at one point even THQ got tired with so many delays and send some of their guys to GSC to finally shape up a Stalker 1.0.

I would like to see a full-fledged Stalker 2,but I don't have high hopes that we'll actually get one.

Where once we had delays (nearly all games did it) now we get early access.......

I can see a STALKER 2 alpha, lasting for years.....

Well the question is: how much of the original talent do they have?

You need Talent with Motivation and Money. Do you need the original Talent to make a good Stalker game? No i dont think so. There was nothing particulary unique about the way stalker worked from what i can tell... it's the scenario and design decisions that make Stalker what it is. Not the talented execution, because that could be arguable if that was the case.

You need Talent with Motivation and Money. Do you need the original Talent to make a good Stalker game? No i dont think so. There was nothing particulary unique about the way stalker worked from what i can tell... it's the scenario and design decisions that make Stalker what it is. Not the talented execution, because that could be arguable if that was the case.

I would argue that Stalker benefited from its modding community in the same way as Arma does. There are a lot of decent mods for all the Stalker games.

I liked the post-apcolyptic aspects of Stalker, the RPG elements and the bandits as opponents.

I didn't really get into the mutated animals, zombie stuff. Not my thing.

I'd love for someone to make a Stalker/DayZ game without the mutant stuff and instead focus on post-apcolyptic power struggles and conflict. Like a Book of Eli or Revolution type thing.

I would argue that Stalker benefited from its modding community in the same way as Arma does. There are a lot of decent mods for all the Stalker games.

Yes, maybe, but thats unrelated to the quality/appeal of the base game however. I never played a modded stalker and i still liked it very much.

I didn't really get into the mutated animals, zombie stuff. Not my thing.

I like the mix of bandits, mutants and zombies. The way zombies are in stalker is more... acceptable to me compared to pure zombie games. I found the brainscorcher theme pretty cool. I wouldnt like it at all if there where only zombies, or only bandits there. Because that can get old very quickly. Without mutants, anomalies,etc it loses alot of its fictional/fantasy element, which i like alot.

Edited by Fennek