Sign in to follow this  
tobinator

Recon Scout XT

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on an Recon Scout Throwbot XT, which is an recon robot:

WIP-screenshot:

recon_scout_xt.png

The model is still WIP, because at the moment I'm busy with the models from my "Open Life" project.

Planned features for the robot are:

• throwable(also through windows)
  • custom uav terminal for it
  • able to climb stairs

Edited by Tobinator

The model looks not so good in my opinion.

It is good on itself but based on its real life counterpart the wheels are wrong and only start bending inwards with the outher circle and not the first and inner circle.

When you reproduce the real life wheels you could also safe some polys cause you have a weird mesh which is looking high poly but it isnt the real life form.

The idea itself is cool, but i see many problems with ARMA 3. First of all the throwing animations of ARMA 3 itself. You have no real clue how far/where your grenade is going and you will never hit a window/door on first try. That means either you have many of such robots or you will end up with not really using the throwing feature. This vehicle has some kind of obstacle-climbing feature but not in the diameter of stairs. So what kind of obstacles are in ARMA 3 that arent as high as stairs? I know only of some kind of betonroads which do have some betoncorner which it could drive upon. Beside this i dont know of anything smaller then stairs and even buildings that are mostly flat build have some kind of stairs, when the evaluation of the terrain is different on some parts.

I would choose a vehicle that can climb stairs or to some degree even higher obstacles. Cant look behind a wall? Throw/jump the vehicle inside the complex. It is a neat idea by the way.

I would prefer this ;)

It is good on itself but based on its real life counterpart the wheels are wrong and only start bending inwards with the outher circle and not the first and inner circle.

When you reproduce the real life wheels you could also safe some polys cause you have a weird mesh which is looking high poly but it isnt the real life form.

The idea itself is cool, but i see many problems with ARMA 3. First of all the throwing animations of ARMA 3 itself. You have no real clue how far/where your grenade is going and you will never hit a window/door on first try. That means either you have many of such robots or you will end up with not really using the throwing feature. This vehicle has some kind of obstacle-climbing feature but not in the diameter of stairs. So what kind of obstacles are in ARMA 3 that arent as high as stairs? I know only of some kind of betonroads which do have some betoncorner which it could drive upon. Beside this i dont know of anything smaller then stairs and even buildings that are mostly flat build have some kind of stairs, when the evaluation of the terrain is different on some parts.

I would choose a vehicle that can climb stairs or to some degree even higher obstacles. Cant look behind a wall? Throw/jump the vehicle inside the complex. It is a neat idea by the way.

I would prefer this ;)

That's epic! But I don't think the jumping feature would be possible to implement.

Also it's not too hard to try to throw it into a windows if you're close to it, I doubt people would try to throw this thing across the road and into a window.

And if I remember correctly, the stairs in ArmA don't work like actual stairs, but instead work like a ramp. So it should be able to just roll up the stairs.

Edited by TheMisterCat

I would prefer this ;)

So first I have to say one thing to the model:

It's WIP, I can still modify the model. There is not much more to say to this point.

And the throwing system can be changed, as you can see in

video. Also to the point with the stairs, like cat already said, they work more like a ramp.

So I'm going to continue this mod :D

Sorry when you took my critic wrong, but i tried to provide some objective view here. The model is wrong and not as the real world model. I even explained what is wrong so you could change it. Im fully aware of your model being WIP, but why do you post a WIP when you wont accept critics well? Also the video you show is not really a throwing grenade feature, it throws a grenade out of your body without playing anykind of animation. That is not even close to replace the current throw feature.

Awesome! We need more unmanned vehicles, looks like this would be useful for checking houses for enemies.

Take it this mod died and went to heaven, it would have been really useful for recon as well. Would have been great in situations that you need to prepare for an assault on a target you haven't got the ability to see into first hand.