mdtorch

Post New Thread Button missing?

I am glad this thread exists. I was wondering the same. (I am a new member here). Thanks for the help.

i don't think this is a good way to get people to participating with the community in either an inquisitive or constructive way. 

I totally understand a desire to prevent spam. But I'm having some trouble with this rule, as I have questions that I can't find answers to, or even threads that are sort of related that I can hijack. So now I have to basically waste time and space posting nonsense like this in order to hit my quota before I can start a new thread to ask my questions, which are preventing me from playing the game.

What's wrong with a strong captcha system that allows people with authenticated email addresses to start a new thread? You could even moderate the first one if you're that afraid of spammers. I can easily see new members like myself adding garbage posts to threads just to get to that sweet sweet "new" button.

I totally understand a desire to prevent spam. But I'm having some trouble with this rule, as I have questions that I can't find answers to, or even threads that are sort of related that I can hijack. So now I have to basically waste time and space posting nonsense like this in order to hit my quota before I can start a new thread to ask my questions, which are preventing me from playing the game.

What's wrong with a strong captcha system that allows people with authenticated email addresses to start a new thread? You could even moderate the first one if you're that afraid of spammers. I can easily see new members like myself adding garbage posts to threads just to get to that sweet sweet "new" button.

I agree. I had a support question that I really needed answers for and the reddit community couldn't help. I come here exasperated at 2 in the morning to try and post, and I find out I have to reply to a thread and get "moderator approval" first.

Sorry, but this is a really idiotic form of anti-spam. How about you just, I don't know, hire a larger moderator team, or rely on the community to properly report spam? That is what pretty much every other forum does, and it really doesn't require a lot of infrastructure.

So now I am stuck replying to a weeks old post because it is the only thing I could find that was relevant for venting my frustrations.

Also, doesn't anyone else find it slightly ironic that the anti-spam encourages spam? I mean, most users will want to post a message as quickly as possible just to get greenlit. That's especially true for my case, since all I want to do on here is open a support thread since no searches turned up any threads that resolved my particular issue. You could probably just make the support threads open automatically and lock the discussion threads; that seems fair.

^ Yeah that ^

Spambot protection plain and simple ;)

I just was looking for the reason of that `problem`as well.

So this means - for spambot protections - user who registered to solve problems are forced to spam 5 messages first?  <_<

Thanks for this information! No rules were sent to me when I signed up through steam :\

Forum Rules are clearly visible when you make a forum post or at the top right of the forum. Look for the word "Rules" ;)

• Like 1

user who registered to solve problems are forced to spam 5 messages first?

Teaches you to search for threads/posts that have subjects you seek to create a thread about, idk how many times i've seen a new thread popup when another thread with same

or similar subject discussing same thing already exists, yes 5 post requirement prevents spam bots, and spam in general.

• Like 1

Yep as a new registered member i was asking why it was still not possible to Set a new topic ;).

But if it's for security...i'm for !

The restrictions on new accounts are a bit harsh, if you ask me. I can see restricting post editing or putting a cap on the total number of topics new members are allowed to create, but let's be real: the Arma series is highly complex. In the face of this oftentimes overwhelming complexity, new players can find themselves confused and in need of answers. To find said answers, these players flock to places where experienced players and editors congregate (i.e., the BIStudio forums) to ask questions. Sometimes, the questions people have are unique, and haven't been asked before. Letting people ask these questions should be a top priority instead of unnecessarily restricting new members.

• Like 1

The restrictions on new accounts are a bit harsh, if you ask me. I can see restricting post editing or putting a cap on the total number of topics new members are allowed to create, but let's be real: the Arma series is highly complex. In the face of this oftentimes overwhelming complexity, new players can find themselves confused and in need of answers. To find said answers, these players flock to places where experienced players and editors congregate (i.e., the BIStudio forums) to ask questions. Sometimes, the questions people have are unique, and haven't been asked before. Letting people ask these questions should be a top priority instead of unnecessarily restricting new members.

Thing is alot of the questions you think your going to ask have already been asked, thats why there is a search function, plus the 5 post limit isn't harsh, its needed to weed out those

wannabe members that add nothing to the forum, aka trolls, spammers, and people that cant seem to follow the rules after accepting them.

I get your argument i started here once too as we all did, so find some topics that interest you and put in your 2 sense and you'll have your 5 posts requirement covered.

• Like 1