Sign in to follow this  
bravo93

Firing from vehicles using launchers?

I love Firing from vehicles.. easily the best feature added to A3 in my opinion. but it doesn't include launchers? :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Javelin_Trials_MOD_45148064.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/b/bf/Ronin_Rocket_02A.jpg/600px-Ronin_Rocket_02A.jpg

I've seen quite a few videos of the Javelin or a M72 LAW being fired from the turret of a APC/PPV, or from a Pinzgauer like in the picture above. Is there some kind of limitation preventing this ingame because I think it would be a great feature!

Only thing I can think of is it being a bit unrealistic from some vehicles because of backblast etc but considering that's not really simulated without mods, don't think that's an issue..

Edited by Bravo93

It should definitely be possible. Along with all of its drawbacks - you should most certainly be able to kill or wound teammates by hitting them in the face with your backblast.

It's about time we got backblast anyways, and this should certainly be in the game. Allow us to fuck up and learn from our mistakes, that's more interesting than not allowing us to do these things in the first place.

Nice sig by the way.

I had a similar discussion a few days ago with some friends. I was like "are we able fire launchers from helicopters such as the hummingbird?" everybody was like idk. We all giggled at the thought, since in RL you would just destroy the helicopter by doing that.

Anyways, I don't know how realistic it is to fire a handheld rocket launcher out of a land vehicle. Sure, we see it in the movies sometimes, but does that actually happen outside of Hollywood? For me, I have yet to see a picture of a Jihadi or freedom fighter on a pickup truck with a rpg firing. I assume there is a reason for that...

I had a similar discussion a few days ago with some friends. I was like "are we able fire launchers from helicopters such as the hummingbird?" everybody was like idk. We all giggled at the thought, since in RL you would just destroy the helicopter by doing that.

Anyways, I don't know how realistic it is to fire a handheld rocket launcher out of a land vehicle. Sure, we see it in the movies sometimes, but does that actually happen outside of Hollywood? For me, I have yet to see a picture of a Jihadi or freedom fighter on a pickup truck with a rpg firing. I assume there is a reason for that...

http://www.eliteukforces.info/images/gallery/royal-marines/Manoeuvre-Support-Group.jpg

Certain vehicles I've seen launchers fired from.. Not all vehicles. Typically vehicles with turrets where the backblast isn't going to burn someone or cause damage to the vehicle.

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_Cougar_Mastiff_Front-Top_Afghanistan_lg.jpg

The Mastiff's a good example, the operator simply pops out the top with the launcher and fires like normal.

I've only seen British examples but I imagine you could do the same with a Humvee.. dunno if it's actually done though.

Edited by Bravo93

From a vehicle standing still, sure... A moving vehicle, with a device that heavy?

Sounds really, really unsafe.

There should be a config value when setting up your CargoTurret that allows launchers to be used or not, something like this:

AllowLauncher = 1; 

This should definitely be a thing and is not that unrealistic, especially for some launchers with soft launch capability such as the FGM-148 Javelin. In these launchers, the missile is ejected first and the flight motor only ignites after the rocket has reached a safe distance from the operator. Since the Javelin already has this capability I would like to believe that the Titan as a successor works in about the same way, so I don't see why we shouldn't be able to fire it from vehicles.

EDIT:

Just wrote a small script that switches to your launcher using selectWeapon even if the game doesn't give you the action to do so, but unfortunately it doesn't work when firing from a vehicle. The launcher is technically selected (ammo count and weapon type in the top right corner switches), but you still have your handgun equipped. So it looks like firing launchers from vehicles is prohibited at engine level, which is too bad. Creating a ticket for deltagamer's approach would be the way to go, but since I don't think Bohemia has the resources for these wishes, I doubt it would help.

Edited by frankfranconi

The thought of seeing a hummingbird being flipped over because of a RPG been shot at the ground is hilarious!

Luckily, launchers are considered recoilless, and if the missile ignites only at a safe distance the backblast becomes irrelevant too.

Luckily, launchers are considered recoilless, and if the missile ignites only at a safe distance the backblast becomes irrelevant too.

If I can recall, back blast was a thing back in Alpha. Not only that, but right now all friable weapons have recoil. You can find that out using the editor to give any static weapon a certain gun ammo, using the script that allow you to put weapons on vehicles. I do wish they would bring back the black blast knockout, it was such a good feature.

From a vehicle standing still, sure... A moving vehicle, with a device that heavy?

Sounds really, really unsafe.

That's exactly the point. People should be allowed to make stupid mistakes and learn from them, instead of being hard-limited by the game. For example, you should be able to try as hard as you like to lift an MBT with a helicopter and break your winch from overstress. Pilots will have to actually learn which vehicles can be lifted through trial and error and it'll make for a more interesting experience.

I do wish they would bring back the black blast knockout, it was such a good feature.

I'd love a simulated backblast too, I remember the first time I experienced it back in A2:OA with ACE, it was amazing! I don't think the recoil would cause problems on the Hummingbird though, as you're already able to fire handguns without the recoil affecting the vehicle you're on.

That's exactly the point. People should be allowed to make stupid mistakes and learn from them, instead of being hard-limited by the game. For example, you should be able to try as hard as you like to lift an MBT with a helicopter and break your winch from overstress. Pilots will have to actually learn which vehicles can be lifted through trial and error and it'll make for a more interesting experience.

Allowing you to do something that has absolutely no purpose other than to punish you for trying to do it is stupid.

Firing a launcher from a vehicle, though, as stupid as it may seem, it does still fire a rocket that can hit an enemy, so it's not "pure noob trap" like allowing you to try lift a tank and break your helicopter would have been. Plus, in some vehicles there might not even be anything behind you.

Iran-Army-RPG.jpg

They would better be wearing earplugs, though...

While the first part is true, there is always an explosive propellant in the rocket to make it leave the launcher so there's backblast but never in this scale.

While the first part is true, there is always an explosive propellant in the rocket to make it leave the launcher so there's backblast but never in this scale.

That's right, but I think if the backblast is small enough for the weapon to be fired from within an enclosed room, it should be no problem firing it from the back of a vehicle in open air.

That's right, but I think if the backblast is small enough for the weapon to be fired from within an enclosed room, it should be no problem firing it from the back of a vehicle in open air.

Yes, but very few launchers has that capability. I know that the swedes has made an AT4 version that can be fired from inside a room, but that's the only one I know about. That doesn't mean much though as I'm not updated at all anymore.

It would be nice if you could have only 1 person sit in the bed of the pickup in this case, who would crouch in the middle of the bed and then fire a launcher.

Im pretty sure I have seen videos from syria where they fire RPGs from pickup beds.

yCT3zKv.png

Edited by MikeTim
  • Like 1

For current default Vanila arma 3 feature, seems could work but in reallity, shooting those massive backblast maker inside those small area is sucide.

I could say that it can be work and demonstrated in Arma 3 for some how but many people propably don't want it

I desperately wish people would stop talking about the "IRL" issues in Arma, so pointless.

Is there any way to make this awesome idea work?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Misconduct said:

I desperately wish people would stop talking about the "IRL" issues in Arma, so pointless.

This thread is ancient. Isn't this already possible? Try getting your butt on with an launcher on to the gunner seat of Qlin or Prowler and equip launcher. 
Also if you stand up to face forward (TURN OUT) on offroad's bed you can use launchers. So it can fit 2 launchers.

The MB 4WD can fit 3 guys with launchers :rthumb:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Misconduct said:

I desperately wish people would stop dumbing down ARMA into a kiddy shooter.  ARMA is unique because its more real so if you want to do stupid stuff then go play something else.

I do agree with firing launchers from open vehicles where it should be possible in real life.

I also wish backblast was reintroduced (along with rotor blade collision for players)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EDcase said:

I desperately wish people would stop dumbing down ARMA into a kiddy shooter.  ARMA is unique because its more real so if you want to do stupid stuff then go play something else.

I do agree with firing launchers from open vehicles where it should be possible in real life.

I also wish backblast was reintroduced (along with rotor blade collision for players)

It already is possible.  As mentioned above you can use launchers from FFV positions in the following vehicles:

Offroad

MWB 4x4

Quilin

Prowler

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 4:35 AM, EDcase said:

All of wasteland, all of KOTH, all of Altis life, most of every Milsim, respawning (ever), purchasing own military vehicles(KOTH, WL, AL) PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds and just about every other thing you cant do in real life that you CAN do in a video game, MUST ALL be taken out of the game in the name of realism.

If you want to limit what people can do with THEIR game because YOU don't want to play that way, you are attempting to destroy that which brought many of us to this game in the first place.

Realism in video games would be boring, give us limitless options/toggles/slide-scale adjustments and let the "simulator" enthusiasts turn EVERYTHING off.

Don't try to prevent creativity because you are pretending this video game is in ANY way like real life.

I assure you it would be a bad idea to go to war with anyone who thinks this "simulator" trained them for anything.

On 4/5/2018 at 5:05 PM, Imperator[TFD] said:

It already is possible.  As mentioned above you can use launchers from FFV positions in the following vehicles:

Offroad

MWB 4x4

Quilin

Prowler

My bad, I actually meant firing rpg's from helicopters (regardless of clipping, or "realism" issues)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Misconduct said:

All of wasteland, all of KOTH, all of Altis life, most of every Milsim, respawning (ever), purchasing own military vehicles(KOTH, WL, AL) PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds and just about every other thing you cant do in real life that you CAN do in a video game, MUST ALL be taken out of the game in the name of realism.

If you want to limit what people can do with THEIR game because YOU don't want to play that way, you are attempting to destroy that which brought many of us to this game in the first place.

Realism in video games would be boring, give us limitless options/toggles/slide-scale adjustments and let the "simulator" enthusiasts turn EVERYTHING off.

Don't try to prevent creativity because you are pretending this video game is in ANY way like real life.

I assure you it would be a bad idea to go to war with anyone who thinks this "simulator" trained them for anything.

My bad, I actually meant firing rpg's from helicopters (regardless of clipping, or "realism" issues)

Yeah sure thing mate.  Get them to add right after they add dual wielding primary weapons. :)

16 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Yeah sure thing mate.  Get them to add right after they add dual wielding primary weapons. :)

Do you mean dual wielding primary weapon from a vehicle?

Are you in the wrong forum or is that just a pointlessly hopeless comment? It breaks my heart that most peoples responses are negative. Especially when this isn't that bad an idea.

I hope others can see how firing rpg's from hummingbird benches would be insanely fun, dual wielding primary seems considerably less interesting to me.

I think the beauty in Arma is best shown in medium to long range ordnance as well as aircraft movement, I want to combine them.

• Like 1