Hey Goblin, as from my previous idea from pm, heres another idea to add to the sniper aspect of the mod:

Sniperhide & masking shots fired

Idea is you can turn on the sniperhide when conditions are right, lol well you have this already but heres the idea.

Basically i mean turn it on manually in the action menu any time then provide some indicator for the conditions for when it is on as certain conditions need to be met

for it to remain on and or to work.

Conditions

-Ai spotting

-movement

-masking shots

-Ghillie suit blend/Silhouette check

Ai Spotting

when the AI are not looking

you should be able to creep up right to them if they aren't looking like a real life sniper can but probably

wouldn't as we know distance is their expertise. We are referring to Snipers in the bush here, urban snipers we could do another way as a ghillie suit realistically in an urban (building)

would probably make the sniper stand out more. So for this idk how this works in scripting, but as you stated in pm add a check to see if the AI is looking in your direction?

Distance/Ai spotting

Distance plays a factor in this as farther away the AI will have harder time seeing you, like above imo like real snipers you should be able to move, the furthest away you are the less

likely if at all enemy AI should be able to see you. So the idea here is to create a check that checks your distance and maybe gives a threat indicator or a level status if the AI can spot you or not.

Sniperhide can remain on until this status is breached like when you move beyond a certain range of movement (noted below).

Moving and creeping

You should be able to move with the sniperhide on until they see you, but when I say move I dont mean a full fledged crawl i mean a suttle creep and a minimal look around,

as a sniper in the bush (not urban sniper) makes suttle movements, so suttle movements could be a trigger that can decide if sniperhide stays on or not, so lets say that any movement

that goes beyond a certain range where your whole body moves will turn sniperhide off and you will get a message that it has turned off and the reason, so something like this:

"Sniperhide off - to much movement" or something like that. like above your distance should also play a factor in this where the further way you are the more movement you are allowed

to make within reason of course.

Masking shots

The shot sound obviously ingame already stirs up the Ai to an aware or on guard state, and if continual shots are made then the AI would locate your position,

so at least I suppose for the game state this is realistic, however if there were a way to mask your shots somehow where the AI would actually be deaf to your shot if 2 things occurred:

1. you used a silencer

2. if a local explosion were to go off and u fired at the same time it would mask your shot, maybe an idea from this can be to carry a small explosive, plant it somewhere and lets say u have

a scenario where u have to eliminate a special target, so setting off that explosion could mask your shot.

3. Another idea is to have vehicles camouflage your shots if and only if the vehicles are either close to the AI or close to where you are at.

An example of shots being masked in sniperelite v2

obviously this wont be realistic for Arma3 as its not the same game and sounds ingame are only made when something happens but the general concept applies, its just a matter

of finding something realistically pertinent to Arma3 that could actually work and be functional.

Masking for urban snipers

For urban snipers sitting in the back of a room and shooting could be another way to mask the shot as the sound is contained within the room, just like what this vid of a sniper is doing:

watch at 1:24 (nothing graphic in the vid, just a sniper shooting in a room).

For Bush snipers it will be different then urban snipers, so lets take a look at how urban snipers can mask their shots, and or camouflage themselves for sniperhide:

Ghillie suit blend/Silhouette check

Here we have 2 most important things for a sniper, we need to consider a sniper in the bush (forest, field, and other related terrain) and the urban sniper,

the following is some more concepts/ideas:

Sniper in the bush Ghillie suit blend

An idea you can employ here is something like what you have currently but provide more hints or indicators that what your doing is working.

So another idea for blending in would to have something based on the terrain, like the color, so changing suits based on terrain could be interesting, this example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eue64K6j0hY

of snipers in all sorts of field and bush terrain demonstrates what type of terrain the sniper might end up in based on their target location, so the idea here for sniperhide

could be made a bit more detailed in scope based on how well you blend in

for suits this addon/script could be of use:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16245

Silhouette check

For the silhouette aspect maybe add a check when a sniper decides to lay on top of a hill that the check w/message pops up and says "sniperhide off - silhouette"

and have the option to turn the messages/hints off once you learn how the sniperhide works and what it checks for.

Only time you wouldn't silhouette on a hill is when the hill has either buildings, bush or brush, trees, or even another aspect of the hill itself behind you or on the side of you, so if

we somehow take those factors into account then that would be idea in terms of not silhouetting yourself.

================

So some more ideas for you Goblin, hope that helps. :)

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi Goblin,

tried the new version with SMD_Sahrani (only the mission module) but i dont get any markers on the map ? Is this intended ?

Thx

Spent all day getting it tuned up to work on ALL Maps.

You place both SOCOM Module System and Module Desk? Also for any project, make sure you're waiting at least a spell for it to start? You need to go over to the Desk and log into the laptop.

Spent all day getting it tuned up to work on ALL Maps.

You place both SOCOM Module System and Module Desk? Also for any project, make sure you're waiting at least a spell for it to start? You need to go over to the Desk and log into the laptop.

Ok, maybe its this. Placed only the SOCOM System. Not the desk, had my own one to launch some other stuff. But i named it like written in the description. Will give it another try later.

You should be able to name anything VQI_SOCOM_1 if using your own object.

Just checked, worked fine on Stratis. Did you get the menu options? "Request Mission", etc?

Edited by Goblin
clarify

Hi

This looks very interesting, I look forward to trying it over the holidays. I've been wanting something like this for a long time.

Please support N'ziwasogo jungle island in this mod, it is the best jungle island for the Arma series.

You should be able to name anything VQI_SOCOM_1 if using your own object.

Just checked, worked fine on Stratis. Did you get the menu options? "Request Mission", etc?

Yes my altis map board is named correctly. I noticed two things. First, i get the addAction-commands two or more times. Varies at each mission start. After requesting a mission it swaps to map and starts giving me all the intended fluff (Login etc. etc.).

Everything works fine from my perspective (briefing comes up etc.) but i get no mission marker. With version 0.0.2 i got the mission marker but it was placed all the time an area around the low left corner of the map.

I´ve tested it with NZiwasogo (@Dragon) just to see if it works with a "non"-Vanilla / "non"-AiA-Map. Everything runs fine including mission-makers, object placement etc.

If you need further infos please give me a pm. For the mission... i can send you only screens if necessary. The mission itself requires a lot of addons. (Never tested but im sure they are not interfering with your work)

Gwiddik,

Thank you for updating me on the NZiwasogo, that compatibility is good news. I need to have a look at the mod and see what I need to get started.

thanks

JUST DOWNLOADED THAT MOD SO FAR SO GOOD REALLY NICE BUT IS IT WORKING ONLINE TO ? LIKE mp COOP AND ALL THAT

@Goblin :

After some testings i can reproduce the following :

- Placing 1 SOCOM Module + 1 Desk (no grouping / syncing)-> Local Hosting MP Session -> Everything is working fine

- Placing 1 SOCOM Module + 1 Desk (no grouping / syncing) -> Dedicated Server MP Session -> Getting 4 (!) desks, Laptops are NOT attached to the desks, no menu available

- Placing 1 SOCOM Module + 1 own named object (no grouping / syncing) -> Local Hosting MP Session -> Everything is working fine

- Placing 1 SOCOM Module + 1 own named object (no grouping / syncing) -> Dedicated Server MP Session -> Getting 3 menus (3 SATCOM NV,3 Mission Request, etc.), Mission Requests works as described above (Fluff yes, Stuff no) -> No markers

Still testing, tomorrow w/o addons and on Altis.

Okay, so I placed down the SOCOM module, HALO module, SOCOM desk, and HALO jump craft, and I get one C-17, one Desk, but no menu, no jump master, and no HALO crate. I turned on debug messages to see if I could get anything but nothing came up. Any advice?

Okay, so I placed down the SOCOM module, HALO module, SOCOM desk, and HALO jump craft, and I get one C-17, one Desk, but no menu, no jump master, and no HALO crate. I turned on debug messages to see if I could get anything but nothing came up. Any advice?

I did a quick test on a3 sahrani earlier and I placed the socom module and the socom On module down and the laptop on the desk had the action after a little bit but not immediately as soon as mission opened... it did place a bomb defuse mission in a proper location on the map but I didn't have time to actually play through

Gwiddik,

Thank you for updating me on the NZiwasogo, that compatibility is good news. I need to have a look at the mod and see what I need to get started.

All Maps "should" work now. Nothing else required other than CBA. Just Player, preferred Modules, perhaps a start location or base. I like using the USS Nimitz, and some Mod like TPW/ALiVE to populate the Map with bad guys of your choice if you do not want to place your own.

(I'm building my own simple system, but it won't be ready for a long time. Its just going to add OPFOR around the player randomly as he goes to keep it light and CPU friendly.)

JUST DOWNLOADED THAT MOD SO FAR SO GOOD REALLY NICE BUT IS IT WORKING ONLINE TO ? LIKE mp COOP AND ALL THAT

Yes. Works very good with online MP Co-Op. That's the only way I play. With friends over LAN.

NO. Does NOT work well over a dedicated server setup. (not yet anyway - maybe later)

@Goblin :

After some testings i can reproduce the following : ......[removed]

Still testing, tomorrow w/o addons and on Altis.

Thanks for the testing! Yes, I'm aware of the dedi stuff. Not server friendly. If you know anything about server coding, feel free to post code suggestions. Getting it server ready is at the bottom of priorities.

If you find any non-compatible maps, let me know! Thats great. There might be a few. But it should be rare. Its also possible to get a mission/map combo that just loops a bit longer to find what it likes. For example: it grabbed a random RECON (land) Mission. I couldn't get it to find land, so instead, I have it loop over and over checking a random location that is above sea-level to return 'true' that it found solid land. Location >= 1m ASL.

I will have to test the C-17 again. Possible that Mod had a classname change or I spelled something wrong. Which happens all the time. LOL I will check when I get back home.

I did a quick test on a3 sahrani earlier and I placed the socom module and the socom On module down and the laptop on the desk had the action after a little bit but not immediately as soon as mission opened... it did place a bomb defuse mission in a proper location on the map but I didn't have time to actually play through

Awesome! Sahrani with AiA never worked. Keeps crashing. Haven't tried the SMD version, which I hear is the stable one. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying that Map out sometime. Maybe this spring. Playing on winter maps right now.

Edited by Goblin

The basic objects (desk and airplane) spawn just fine. But I can't get menus off any of the desks and the crates and pilots don't spawn at all.

hey awesome mod. just wondering which parts of this mod work well with dedicated servers? or is the whole thing not really usable of dedicated?

thank you

The basic objects (desk and airplane) spawn just fine. But I can't get menus off any of the desks and the crates and pilots don't spawn at all.

The HALO is 2 Modules. 1. HALO On. 2. HALO Aircraft. ....then wait for it to load. The aircraft and crew do NOT load at the same time. How long are you waiting?

The same is true for all. Make sure you are waiting at least 30 or 40 seconds. There is no desk for the HALO. You mean the SOCOM stuff? Did you test/look at the Editor examples?

Tested with the C17 and it worked fine. Did my jump at 40,000 right into Air Station Mike. And in the snow to boot. I wonder if there is a conflict with SOCOM + C17? I highly doubt it.

hey awesome mod. just wondering which parts of this mod work well with dedicated servers? or is the whole thing not really usable of dedicated?

thank you

No. Not really. Mostly works over LAN. Not dedi server friendly yet. Sorry. See the post a few back. Gwiddik did some testing and posted the results.

I looked at the example mission, created modules and desks, waited for about five minutes. Nothing :/

I looked at the example mission, created modules and desks, waited for about five minutes. Nothing :/

Try downloading again. Possible corruption of data. Added a Troubleshooting section to OP.

UPDATE

v0.0.4 alpha

========================

-SOCOM-

DESTROY: Increased Search Ranges

DESTROY: Added 4 Missions

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi Goblin,

Here is an idea:

If I place a C 130 **flying** in circle arround the map, set its proper altitude and name it as "VQI_HALO_1". Will your HALO system work for JIP players? Dedi server?

Thanks!