@ von quest

I agree with you on keeping it simple. There is no need to having too many vehicles in the mod, which will only complicate things. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly test the mod. I'm waiting for Thanksgiving holiday. I was wondering if you could give us insight on the "meat and potatoes" of what your mod at current state can do. Meaning, how many total missions are available through SOCOM? How many ways are available for entry to enemy zones?  Does ALIVE add to the SOCOM mission enemy zones when used? Are there multiple forms of extraction? etc..

The reason I'm asking is I watched a YT vid on the upcoming Ghost Recon game and it left me thinking, is it possible to have multiple scenarios with the same mission? Can I go in stealth or aggresive? Do I have multiple ways for extraction on the fly due to the outcome of the mission? I'm curious to know what are my options when the S.H.T.F.

I'm very pleased in the direction the mod is heading, and was just wondering what we are capable of doing when using the mod. Keep up the awesome work your doing!

UPDATE

v0.1.1 beta
========================

-HALO-
FIXED: Cargo Beacon on ATV to underneath
ADDED: C-17 Globemaster support added back in
ADDED: XHR-1 'Vampyre' support added back in
CHANGED: Partial re-write of the FlightPlan system
REMOVED: IL-76 Aircraft Support/Option
CHANGED: 5 Smoke Cycles into Cargo Beacon (90sec intervals)
FIXED: Tweaked several ongoing MP issues
CHANGED: ParaJump Radar probability increased to 95%

ADDED: C-17 Radar probablity to 20% anywhere on map!
ADDED: ViewDistance HALO Jump Module Option
FIXED: XHR-1 LOD issue with Cargo Ramp
FIXED: Several lighting issues for several aircraft
CHANGED: The Xtra Crate is now a SOF-Type Crate
FIXED: The Carryall Backpacks are now in SOF Crate
FIXED: Cargo Drop Menu on Ground Cargo after Drop

-CORE-
REMOVED: several Dev Hints
ADDED: Option to Stand Back Up if stuck in freefall animation
(if you fall in the Ops Center - press [sHIFT] + [C] for Menu)
FIXED: Upgraded the CORE Menu setup... See Keybinding Doc

There! :P

Spent the ENTIRE day upgrading and putting back in support for the other aircraft. This was more work the past two days than I think I spent in the last month or two. Hope you like the upgrades. Bazinga.

Heading out the door right now. Will be back to answer questions later tonight or tomarrow.

Over & Out!

Nice Nice. How about fixing the Arsenal so that ACE3 items show up for optics and such? I noticed that the ACE3 optics don't show. Or make it so that all the gear you have to have is in the Arsenal. Otherwise, When I get kitted out in Arsenal, and I go to the crate with the stuff, I have to change the vest. And if I start at the crate and then go to Arsenal, I lose the vest and have to start again at the crate.

@commandouksf
Thanks bud! Not sure what's up with the map issue. Sounds like a glitch. There is a slight conflict with ACE3 and my Map option. Could be related. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

@FTWxxxPHOENIX
Good questions. Sounds like you're getting the gist of where I'm going with all this. I'll try and expand a bit, but it can get a tad confusing. A lot of people are missing the overall focus of the project. The "meat-and-potatoes" of all this is Spec-Ops/Black-Ops style of gameplay without any of the hand-holding you get from the console games.

Try and imagine what it would be like if some country wanted to violate the country of North Korea and sabotage their nuclear program or send a 'message'. This would have to be done unofficially of course.

So... The way we like to play is we sorta Role-Play we are retired Spec-Ops guys who are now working for the CIA Special Operations Group. We do not exist.

We pick a Map for the night. Place down ALL SpookWarCom Modules, with a few ALiVE Modules to populate the Map even further. We place our 'spook' units down on land (do not start in water) away from any objects so we don't die when ALiVE populates the various areas. And then perhaps sprinkle a few more enemy units about for other key areas/bases/etc.

Click PLAY/Preview - and then the game will build and start up all Systems. Be patient. Takes a good minute or so.

At that point we'll have been transported into the Ops Center. A 'black site' that is actually off of the map and away from any and all possible enemy. The entire Map is considered a hostile country in which all BLUFOR countries have been denied any and all access for whatever political reason.

That's why we have been selected to go in "unofficially".

The Ops Center is a non-descript small building in a nearby country. Once the screen clears and you are teleported inside. You can take a look around and wait for the SOCOM laptop to connect online. You'll receive a msg its ready. It's the cubicle behind the Marker Boards and the Briefing table (all the Chairs face that cubicle). That's the SOCOM Cubicle. The brains of the operation.

Once it's online and ready. Go check in, and get your Mission. The mission is randomized unless you selected a specific category when placing the Module. The exact location and other details are also randomized. There are I think 7-10 categories. With 1-3 sub categories in each one to start. (I have more coming) Recon, Assassination, Scuttle, Surveillance, etc.

Once we have our Mission and Details. Now we have to plan the Mission with the focus on always getting out alive. We play with NO RESPAWN. We get one shot to get it right.

We start with the location of the objective. If its within 2 or 3km of the coast. Then it's usually a wet-op. We'll request a Submarine to get close and drop us off nearby. You can get the HMS Proteus to go anywhere its deep enough (minimum of -30m deep). The Submarine has a crude LockOut Chamber to infil/exfil Combat Divers. (I have an awesome one under development coming soon) Once you flood the chamber and exit the Submarine there is also SDVs locked to the exterior of the sub if needed. You can do full Infil/Exfil Operations with this Submarine and Diver System.

If the Mission is too far into the interior of this hostile country, then we will typically do a HALO Jump. Feet first into hell. The HALO Jump requires special gear to wear of course. If we do this option, then we need Intel on where the Enemy Radar Systems are and plan accordingly. We also take note on the time of day as the plane ride can be anywhere from an hour or three to get there (simulated). So a late day start might turn into a night op. We also need check the planned DZ and note the elevation to plan when we pull our chutes. My Altimeter has several features including a GPS so you can track to the DZ if needed. It gets complicated, so I can't go into too much detail here.

Whether it's a Submarine or a HALO Jump, we gear up and do all the planning inside the Ops Center. All gear & equipment is there and I have more coming. Right now there are only 2 options in get into that hostile country. Submarine or a HALO/ParaJump. To exfil, you can get out if you can make it back to the Submarine OR you can call for a undercover Civ Helicopter to pick you up and carry you out.

If you haven't already, check the first main post of this thread for some features included. It's out of date and can be a tad confusing if using it for the first time. I have a ton of stuff coming and will do more documentation and test missions. The mission generator does NOT talk to the ALiVE system. I do no hand-holding or theatrical stuff. It's up to the player to plan the entire mission details and execute it accordingly. There is no "mission accomplished" or anything. It up to you to decide if you were successful or not. If you made it in and back out alive, then it was a good day. This entire project is pretty big and I'm sure al lot of people are only getting a faction out of it. Since its still very WIP, the documentation is lacking somewhat in a few areas.

So to answer if stealth or aggressive, its mostly geared to be a stealth-style of play. Unless it's a 'clear the area' mission, for example, its always in your best interest to stay sneaky. But the option is totally up to you!

Sorry for rambling. That's the overall premise anyway. Hope that clears it up some. Ask if you have any specific questions. As I'm sure I forgort a pile of stuff. Maybe later I can post a mission-specific example from start to finish.

So as it is right now... You can play on ANY map! Virtually no setup time. Place all modules and go. Start in the Ops Center, plan you mission, get in, slap the enemy around, and get out. Hooyah.

You were never there. You do not exist.

Now that the alpha phase is complete... Maybe its time to have a "teaser" week for moving into beta.

Teaser #1

z4DIFPq.jpg

Von Quest,

Overall I think this is shaping up to be a great tool to get some good special ops missions with very little setup time. I think it will really help people to get the idea of this mod if they play the way you mentioned in your previous post (post #379).

There are some things that would make this a much more powerful set of tools. The biggest issue now if the fact the mission generator doesn't spawn units into the operation area. Having to rely on something like the ALIVE mod (which I don't have) to spawn enemy units is probably the biggest deterrent for people to use the mission generator. Is there plans to have a system included in the mod that will spawn enemy units for each mission? 

There was a couple of issues I had while using the mod.

First, Can you rebind the keys to access the modules options? The dive module options always pops up while sprinting with my player, or driving a vehicle. Shift +W,A,S,D is a no go for any module options key bind. If you can rebind, how do you do it? 

Second, I completed my op, then called for the civilian chopper to exfill, however, the chopper landed, then turned off it's engine, and I could not figure out how to get it to exfill me, and my team. Also, the exfill chopper only having two seats is a bit of a problem. 

My personal wishlist of things to be added to this mod are,

The mission generator to be able to spawn enemy units into the area of operation. 

To have a C-130 aircraft included in the mod, so there isn't a  requirement to have the USAF mod.

I'll wrap up this post by saying that I'm really enjoying your mod, and thank you for all the effort in developing it.

PS. The sub model looks good.

Good points indeed.

I should re-write the main first post maybe. I can not stress enough that the primary focus of this project is Spec-Ops/Black-Ops only. With the emphasis on the Black-Ops. I get alot of PMs and requests for things that are out-of-scope of this mod. You raise some good points though. What this project is NOT is, its not really meant to be played with friendly AI or to create a full WarZone. It mostly designed to be played as Single-Player mode and to sneak in, do the Mission, and then sneak out.

Let me touch on my philosophy a wee bit if I may...

The reason I don't spawn enemy for each mission, is then you will always KNOW that there are enemy there. Then every single mission is just a combat mission. Too predictable. Yawn. You always have the option to set your Mission Generator to 'Assault' to get enemy there every time. Also the DARK Module will Spawn random enemy around you in place of ALiVE. Since its not a warzone, it stays relatively quiet and low-key until you are spotted.

Maybe I can put in another option so you can select to have enemy spawn in for each mission area each time. Should be fairly easy to do. I'll just pass the info into the DARK setup to pull forces from. Even though I don't play that way, I can add that for a future update option.

The Civ Heli. I can look into it. You'll have to [shift] + [c] again once inside to tell him to exfil. I'm trying to streamline the menu a bit, so certain options ONLY show when the time is right. And the Civ Heli is a Black-Op only option. Maybe I'll add the "Spec-Ops" version option as well. I can't have a full military Helicopter show up to pick you up if you are a spook. It's too obvious and has certain political blowback issues. The Civ Heli does indeed only have the two passenger seats.

And the C-130 is coming. It's actually already there. Hidden if you know where to look. It looks like crap right now and is under heavy construction. I need a cool name for it. Was thinking something like XC-130 Nighthawk. Something dark and creepy sounding.

Von Quest, I figure it's time I speak up. I've read through the entire thread and I am captivated and enamored by your vision here. And I have been for awhile. Your posts fill me with joy and I want more than anything to experience this mod the way your posts intend.

Please note: I have never tried the mod or even downloaded it. But your comments about what your mod can feel like make me feel something special. I'm ready to dive in but I don't really know how or what to do.

I'm a lone wolf. I actually don't mind playing with AI teammates but I never really have a chance to play with other flesh-and-blood human people. I get out of work, come home and want to have some ARMA time. Just reading through this tread it seems like this is everything I ever wanted ARMA to be but I'm intimidated and haven't actually downloaded this because I don't really know what to do once I have it.

If I wanted dark, engrossing, covert, atmospheric, strategic and all around we-were-never-here kind of SP experience; what exactly would I do after downloading to mod? Do I just throw down all the modules in the editor and go? I see you use ALiVE. What do I do with that? I have it too but what do I do with it. What do I do with everything?

The one thing this thread is missing is step-by-step instructions on how to make this thing happen. If you can picture me for a second, I know nothing among editors or computers. I know how to download and install mods and do some other basic things but I'm not Mr. PC Savvy. But what I am is someone who wants what this mod seems capable of. If you get a chance could you explain to the less tech-inclined SP people like me how to set up and enjoy your mod so we can experience this thing like you (and others) do?

• Like 1

Teaser #2

5MauBTM.jpg

@stburr91

Oh, and I forgot... Check the Keybinding Doc for info on how to change the default setup.

@HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks!!!! There is some Docs already included to point you in the right direction. I have more coming and a .pdf for when its nearing v1.0. I also have Example/Test Missions I can put back in before Thanksgiving (currently removed) that will show you the setup and explain a few things further. Plus let you experiment and pactice with whats already been released so far.

One of the primary foundations of this overall project, was to get people like you up and running as fast as possible. I'm amazed at how many people I talk to who are big geeks/gamers like me, except they either have never heard of ArmA, or they dont really know much about it. Shocker. Then when I show them what all you can do with the hobby, the're minds are blown. Kaboom. And so many of them don't have the time or are tech savvy to really get into the vast deep potential of what ArmA can offer. So I thought, instead of messing around with scripts and things, I would build it all with Modules the players, both new and vets, younger or older can just plop down and go. ArmA can have a steep learing curve or be too time-intensive for many many people.

@Foxhound, @kecharles28

Thanks fellas. ;)

• Like 2

Von Quest, thanks for the quick reply. Now these sample missions you're planning on putting back in, from what I understand they're not actually "missions," correct? There's no enemies or anything in them from what I understand, right? Just a template for learning the tools?

I see you play this with ALiVE. Will your PDF include suggestions for which modules to populate the map with? If not, could you include some of your personal favorite ways to incorporate ALiVE in it too? I don't know how to use that mod either. LOL!

Looking forward to the update. I think that's when I'll hop on board. Thanks for the reply and happy-almost-holidays. :)

Von Quest,

I did some more testing, and after several tries, I can confirm that the civilian chopper extract is not working for me. The chopper lands, but I get no option to exfill after getting in and pressing "shift + C. One time I couldn't even get into the chopper, there was no option to get in, like it was locked or something. I have noticed that a hint pops up shortly after I call for the extract that says, "3 sqf. end". I don't know if that means anything, but I just thought I pass that onto you.

A quick suggestion if I may. Why not contact one of the many people that have ported the C-130, and ask for permission to include it into your mod? It would seem much easier than creating your own. Also, there is a great Bell 412 helicopter that is black, and has on weapons on it that would be perfect for the civilian chopper extraction. It's in the mod "Huey Pack" by GrumpyRhino. Again, I don't know if you would like to contact the mod creator for permission to include the Bell 412 in your mod, but I thought I would just put it out there.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out some feedback for you, keep up the good work.  

THIS is the mod I've been waiting for!

I'm a huge fan of the tv series (Cinemax) "Strike Back", about a fictional covert ops team and their missions.  One thing I'd still like to know how to do is how to get the AI opfor to treat the players as neutral civilians, as long as they have no weapons visible (in hand), and yet be capable of forcibly preventing entry into buildings and compounds and the like...  Ex:  Players look like civilians and have no weapons in hand so the opfor doesn't shoot them.  Players get close to embassy or whatever, guards stationed there still do what guards do... 

Probably more complex to resolve is the rapid spread of intelligence.  Ex:  Players pretending to be civilians approach guards and shoot them, then shoot their way into the compound.  Alarm sounds, radio messages go out, players are now targets, whether they have weapons in hand or not.

Any suggestions?

Strike Back on Cinemax. Cool. I'll have to check that out. Never heard of it.

Suggestions? Yes! Just click PLAY.

LOL. Believe it or not, that is ALREADY built into this project. It's part of the CORE Module. It's off by default, so you'll have to turn it on. You can carry weapons as long as they are out of view. They can be tucked into your outfit or a backpack. Once you are "identified" as a threat, the radio call goes out. Super cool.

There is no audible alarm though. Or an Embassy of course. You have to make your own. If there isn't too many enemy around who are threatened, then there is a high probability of them calling for Reinforcements. You can assassinate any enemy in the game, and then re-hide as long as no one has spotted you, or they did not make a radio call yet with your description.

Yup. Okay... I just checked on the CORE Menu setup. And it's goofed. Sorry guys.

I'll fix right away and do an update since its a game breaker for that part of that sub-addon.

And as for the C-130, that was donated already by SabreDUST. But its not that easy. I have to convert a zillion file-paths and things. I also want to do custom graphics and modify other Config issues to work better for this project. It's not as simple as just copy-and-paste.

The Civilian Helicopter works exactly as I had hoped for the "Black-Ops" exfil. I can add support and other options later for other mods and aircraft maybe. But keep in mind we are now doing addon-creep. Lol. We are drifting outside the main focus. Black-Ops. Black-Ops. Black-Ops. Did I mention this is a Black-Ops mod?

If you want to play with AI and Infantry-style, then just play the standard game. No need for my mod. There are exfil option Modules already built into the game, plus ALiVE has awesome Transport options that are far better than mine. You can use any mod with it. Even that Huey Pack.

I'll try and fix that CORE Menu quick in the next day or two. Maybe today when I get home. Cool beans. Over & Out. ;)

• Like 1

Von Quest,

There are some things that would make this a much more powerful set of tools. The biggest issue now if the fact the mission generator doesn't spawn units into the operation area. Having to rely on something like the ALIVE mod (which I don't have) to spawn enemy units is probably the biggest deterrent for people to use the mission generator. Is there plans to have a system included in the mod that will spawn enemy units for each mission? 

FYI, you should REALLY give ALiVE a try. It's the single best mod for ARMA in my opinion and it's not even close. So many things you can do with it now.

Yup. Okay... I just checked on the CORE Menu setup. And it's goofed. Sorry guys.

I'll fix right away and do an update since its a game breaker for that part of that sub-addon.

And as for the C-130, that was donated already by SabreDUST. But its not that easy. I have to convert a zillion file-paths and things. I also want to do custom graphics and modify other Config issues to work better for this project. It's not as simple as just copy-and-paste.

The Civilian Helicopter works exactly as I had hoped for the "Black-Ops" exfil. I can add support and other options later for other mods and aircraft maybe. But keep in mind we are now doing addon-creep. Lol. We are drifting outside the main focus. Black-Ops. Black-Ops. Black-Ops. Did I mention this is a Black-Ops mod?

If you want to play with AI and Infantry-style, then just play the standard game. No need for my mod. There are exfil option Modules already built into the game, plus ALiVE has awesome Transport options that are far better than mine. You can use any mod with it. Even that Huey Pack.

I'll try and fix that CORE Menu quick in the next day or two. Maybe today when I get home. Cool beans. Over & Out. ;)

Thanks for the fast reply, and all the work you are doing to create a great set of tools for those of us that really enjoy the covert operations game play.

The teasers pics all look very interesting, I'm looking forward to see where you take this mod.

FYI, you should REALLY give ALiVE a try. It's the single best mod for ARMA in my opinion and it's not even close. So many things you can do with it now.

I already have MCC but you guys convinced me to give ALiVE a try (I'm watching a tutorial video on it right now). 

Hi,

Some of you wanted some pointers on how to use this Mod. I will show you how I use it for both SP and MP game play.

Firstly there are quite a few mods I need for my Special forces/BlackOps style of game, to manage them all easier I use ArmA3Sync launcher and mod manager http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22199

The usual Mods I run in addition to SpookWarCom are ALiVE http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23684 and some Special Forces weapons and uniforms often by Massi http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21912 http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19345

You can of course use whatever weapons and uniforms suit you.

I select a Map and place onto it the ALiVE modules (using the Arma 3 editor) and desired enemy forces (usually not CSAT) for the fictional Country wanted, there is an entire ALiVE wiki and Quick Start to help set this up http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Quickstart

Additional:  I was asked what ALiVE modules I put down, they are:

ALiVE (Required)

ALiVE Player Options

ALiVE Virtual AI System

(For OPFOR)

Military Placement (Mil. Obj)

Military AI Commander

Military Close Quarters Battle

Military Placement (Civ Obj)

(For AI Transport)

Player Combat Support

Player Combat Support (Transport)

For the AI transport remember to carry a Laser Designator to get the option (default item)

The QuickStart link above shows what to link to what.....

I found ALiVE quite a steep learning curve when I first used it, please follow the Quick Start guide as I did and try to get an ALiVE populated map going as a first step, select the 'Enable Debug' option and change to YES for all OPFOR modules.

ALiVE works best on Altis but I've been using it on many other maps too. Try ALtis until you get it up and working.

When you go into game and open up the map with the debug ON you should visually see the map now being populated by ALiVE, also use the MCC mod to travel around the map in invisible mode to view the actual enemy soldiers, who only spawn in when you are in designated range that you set, 1500m or whatever.

Once you are sure ALiVE is working 100% change debug back to NO or OFF for gaming purposes.

With SpookWarCom I most often use three modules namely the HALO, Diver and SOCOM ones, also placed down using the Arma 3 editor.

For the HALO mod to work I have had to also run the USAF mod containing the MC130 aircraft http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25512

The reason I use ALiVE is to generate random enemies, so every mission is different. I also use ALiVE for AI extractions by helicopter from the ground or sea.

Also experimenting with the Skyhook extraction system! http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21763

I use the SOCOM desk to generate random SF/Black Ops missions on the map, then decide what weapon loadouts and insertion method is best suited, it might be HALO, Submarine, SDV, CRRC, helicopter etc.

In MP we use the HALO mod a lot and can all jump together.

From a personal point of view the SpookWarCom and ALiVE mods are a perfect combination for this style of Arma 3 gameplay.

Hope this helps a little, it is all about creativity, imagination and maintaining immersion to have fun.

• Like 1

Teaser #4

eW2j9dx.jpg

@commandouksf

Thank you.

• Like 1

Hey Von, 

Quick question.

When I use the SOCOM desk to auto generate missions...will it always generate CSAT looking enemies?

I.e. if I have ALiVE Modules placed to populate a map with African Rebels, ISIS, etc.....and I get a mission that says "Kill the General" or "Assault/Clear the Area", will the troops I'm needing to kill be the same unit type as my ALiVE faction, or will it always be a predetermined CSAT-style target?

Just curious.

I didn't know if you had the ability to let us choose the faction type of the mission generated target (i.e. an African Rebel General to kill or clear an area of Taliban for example).

• Like 1

You should be able to select the Faction in the options. Right now only the vanilla game factions are available. I will be adding several mod-supported factions if you have that mod installed.

I typically do most requests (within reason), on a first come first served. Let me know which one(s) you want included so I can add it to the to-do list.

You should be able to select the Faction in the options. Right now only the vanilla game factions are available. I will be adding several mod-supported factions if you have that mod installed.

I typically do most requests (within reason), on a first come first served. Let me know which one(s) you want included so I can add it to the to-do list.

Awesome. Well...id say the most popular mod packs would be

1. RHS factions

2. Leights Opfor Factions

3. Massi Factions (Spetsnaz, African Conflict, Chernaus Conflict, Chinese PLA)

4. Iraq Syrian Conflict (ISIS)

I'd love to have CAF Aggressors as well.

• Like 1

Von Quest, will you be signing this mod for MP use on a dedicated server? I've tested a few parts such as EOD and Sniper/Scout/Stealth on a dedicated server with key verification off and they work perfectly fine, with no impact to the servers FPS or CPS with 20-30 players and 100+ AI. We really like the EOD Bomb-buddy for sniffing out mines instead of the arma way and the Sniper/Scout/Stealth for increased immersion/stealth, but was hoping to get you to sign them so we can turn key verification on.

Nonetheless keep up the good work, it's really fun for smaller scaled co-op missions and has a lot of potential on the larger scale mp side of things.