Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Reasons A3 doesn't have proper and realistic reload anims?

Why?

Uncomfortable anim tools currently present? Simply not a priority of BIS? Tech limitations? Performance issues?

Right now, it's like... observe how the player reloads any rocket launcher and laugh.

I would say the priority for animations are low compared to the many other things BIS is working on, you could always work on your own and share them with the community ;).

After seeing what toadie2k has pulled off, almost certainly "priorities" (you can sell a DLC on the basis of marksmanship-related functionality... animations, not so much) instead of "technical limitations​".

It can done properly with launchers but irl 90% of them are disposable while in A3 they are not

also there is some time limit on those reload anims and thats more likely the issue here - they cant do proper reload anims for launchers because it takes more than 10 sec

Speaking of other games like Stalker - they have special anim sets with hands only like in Source games (CS,HL,TF2) there you can do almost anything you want

so yes arma 3 is limited by its anim tree and limitations around it

Indeed. Reasons seems to be tons of more important issues to deal with first. Thing is, and that adds to the community life a subtle hint of comic IMO, each of us define priorities differently (eg reload animations as for me are one of last things to worry about, while I can perfectly understand people, for whom it's major game breaker), theoretically obvious, yet many argue with many about that differences over and over, polls and lists are constructed etc. While BI has apparently very own priorities list, mysterious and hard to understand (at least for me), and not affected much by all this community's solemn "why XYZ is still broken/not implemented?" indignations.

Edited by Rydygier

I bet those games don't need configs to animate hands.

There are a few things that just keep arma3 weapon implementation from feeling on the same level as the best/newest games. And animation has a great time to play in that feel. Toadies awesome pack really brings that home and I find I rely other to play using them. Charging the weapon before during affects the gameplay more than just as an animation, it changes timing. I hope the marksman dlc addresses a lot of the weapon handling issues that really need updating including recoil model, bipods/ weapon resting, proper bolt action animation every time the bolt needs to be pulled back, etc.

Arma 3 is without doubt the game I rate best, but there are core things like this that can really add to it.

I think there are quite a few basic performance issues BI should tackle before dedicating their time to improving animations

I think there are quite a few basic performance issues BI should tackle before dedicating their time to improving animations
The people working on performance (coders/programmers) are not the same people working on animations (animators).

Or do you think the dev team is just 20 jack-of-all-trade types who wander aimlessly between tasks as it suits them?

Or do you think the dev team is just 20 jack-of-all-trade types who wander aimlessly between tasks as it suits them?

Seems like it sometimes. Take a look at the "Community" Feedback Tracker. Some of the highest upvoted tickets have yet to even be assigned a Dev.