animander

Helvantis Terrain

I'm not sure if this has been reported here, but I thought I'd at least make everyone somewhat aware of this.

Me and some of the members of my clan we're testing out Helvantis when it first came out, and apparently it was possible to run down all manners of thick stone walls with just a MRAP or a RHS car.

I'm not sure which vehicle specifically was used, but since this has been a problem in many maps, I'm guessing its not a case of vehicles used being bugged, but the map being bugged. I was able to run down trees with a RHS BTR-80 no problemo, the speed of the vehicle didn't even slow down. They felt like paper (heh).

Anyone willing to look into this?

Also, the ground texture seems to repeat itself just a little bit too much! What I mean is, when walking around as infantry, the ground texture looks really great, until you realize its repeating a pattern. From the Air that normal in arma, but for infantry its not good.

Its almost perfect, but maybe if you'd try to fix this by adding a bit more variation to the ground?

Your map looks fucking awesome man, I'd really like our community to start using it. Unfortunately we're picky when it comes to bugs with maps, since they can really ruin our gaming experience (after a 60min briefing its not nice to have some glitch screw people over), so I'd really appreciate it if you could look into the terrain penetration and whimsyness reported here.

Also: I can also confirm your map has a 10-15 fps drop compared to Altis.

Edited by Nummi

Can u pls fix it becose its very annoying that after damage forticifactions gets bugged

http://postimg.org/image/xo4zzxav1/full/

Or at least somebody pls tel me how to make these fortifictions indestructable. I have tried all scripts that work well at chernarus or takistan but they dont work on helvantis. ANy ideas?

Edited by Gorogon

IndeedPete - those are looking pretty good! The top images do look a little bit greyer than the others, but only slightly. I'm not sure what would cause a difference like that. The lighting values for Helvantis are identical to Stratis,. I don't understand a whole lot about how the lighting stuff works, so I just lifted the values straight out of the config for that terrain.

Nummi - all of the stone walls are taken from AiA, so any of their damage behavior is in the hands of the AiA people and out of my control. This is the same for the trees. The ground textures do repeat a bit noticeably in some places, but I considered it not too bad to be worth re-doing the mask all over again. What terrain penetration issue do you mean? I haven't seen any mention of something like that.

Gorogon - those objects are taken from AiA, I have no control over any bugs related to specific object types behaving weird, aside from removing that object.

Never tried my snow untis on Stratis. :D

Nontheless, I've brightened them up, they're looking better now. I guess it partly depends on weather conditions. Shots below are taken between morning and afternoon, with a snow particle script and 50 fog, 50 overcast. The first two shots are natural lighting, but I had to lighten up the last one because it was too dark. Also, the Splendid cam somehow messes with the lighting a tiny bit. Doesn't matter though, it looks fine in gameplay. Can't wait to start actual development on the map. Sometimes still a bit too green for what I had in mind but with PPEffects and snow scripts I can fake a much colder area. :)

snow203r1f.jpg snow3zlp7o.jpg snow4tgqur.jpg

Just DL and tried this today. Looks cool. Locks up when tested with ALiVE. Is this on their list yet? Getting a little disappointed with ALiVE since they seem to always be behind when adding Units and Especially Maps. The entire point to that mod is to populate maps.

Winter is half over and still no ALiVE support yet?

The process of indexing maps for ALiVE isn't a simple one I'm afraid, and quite labour intensive - I share your frustrations over new maps..... but there are LOTS of maps (38 at last count) that are already indexed and playable.. there must be something there to keep you and your buddies happy :-)

SJ

The process of indexing maps for ALiVE isn't a simple one I'm afraid, and quite labour intensive - I share your frustrations over new maps..... but there are LOTS of maps (38 at last count) that are already indexed and playable.. there must be something there to keep you and your buddies happy :-)

SJ

38 you say??

Is there a wiki page or anything for a full list?I did wiki already,but not so many came up.

I re-read,you meant 38 "Alive workable" maps? wow good work guys didnt even know that many maps were around.

Goblin - glad you enjoy the map, but unfortunately, no, Alive does not work with it at all yet. I have no idea if they plan to index it at some point or not, I may get in touch with them and see if they intend to, considering a number of people have expressed interest in that.

Goblin - glad you enjoy the map, but unfortunately, no, Alive does not work with it at all yet. I have no idea if they plan to index it at some point or not, I may get in touch with them and see if they intend to, considering a number of people have expressed interest in that.

I quote this, as I love this map :)

Would be interesting to have some more snow too.

How about some "flattening" on asphalt roads? In some places these have some weird holes, pits and mounds which - looks unnatural and complicate driving for players and AI. Same about road markings.

Judging by how you answered my last question, I'm guessing you're not working on improving the map anymore? Could you give me a confirmation on that?

I'm working on a new project right now, but I'm not ruling out fixing major issues that someone might find. Minor things that don't really impede map playability though are not really worth an entire update on their own. That said, of the things you mentioned, the wall/fence damage as I said is an AIA issue and outside of my control, and you didn't clarify what you meant by "terrain penetration," so I can't investigate that until I know what you really mean.

The terrain texture is very repetitive, it is very good visible almost anywhere, do you plan fixing it? And does that new project is new winter map too?

No immediate pans to make any further changes, but I'm not ruling it out in the future. The new project is not a winter map, it's a different type of climate. I'll probably post something about it on these forums when I have enough finished to be worth showing.

In the mean time, the ALIVE team released an update today with support for Helvantis. Those of you who were asking for this have your wish granted! Big thanks to the ALIVE dev team for doing this.

ALiVE indexed! Yeah!

Good news. I know where I'll be playing this weekend. Pack yer mittens...

Jeez how Long did it take you to make?!

I worked on it for a couple hours nearly every day for about 3-4 months. After that there was another 3-4 months of testing and/or tweaking things sporadically when I had the time and felt like doing so.

Can you probably add proper airport marking so autolanding will work?

And thanks. Loving this map.

Great mod! Loved it. The downtown secluded feeling and destroyed buildings made it a great map when i was testing out a I44 import! Great map for WW2. (except for the modern stuff like the big radio tower, and modern day factory lol

AI have problems in moving inside ruined city near the lake. Also lots of ruins there are walk-through, you can even shoot through them. Can you hotfix that preety please?

Ah and grass is making huge FPS drops, can you consider lowering it's quality?

Cheers

Hey there, still loving this map. But the more I develop content for it the more I notice smaller flaws. In quite a few locations, objects are severly misplaced (they're floating for example), somewhat killing immersion and interfering with the gameplay. It feels the map could use one last polishing session in order to sort out these things. A few examples below.

Flying dumpsters at a construction site in the western part of Helvantis (I'd have to check the map for exact coordinates):

2015-07-25_00001alp3v.jpg

Wonky stairs at Castle Eisern, central tower:

2015-07-25_00002lvr9u.jpg

Tent on uneven ground in FOB Hölle:

2015-07-25_00003qlo82.jpg

And another strange tent placement in a camp in the eastern woods:

2015-07-25_00004x8r5w.jpg

If I run into more flaws I can post more images here if it helps. I really hope for a last revision but I'm looking forward to make use of all the cool locations in my upcoming SP campaign in any case. Thank you again for your efforts. ;)

• Like 1

I really like this map and I am currently developing a mission for it.

one of the objectives are to destroy the large broadcast station, but it stays up regardless of how many explosives i throw at it. Is it destructible and if so does anyone know a way of reducing its hp?

Thanks!