animander

Helvantis Terrain

arma32014-12-1323-21-24-82.png

Helvantis

By

Animander

Description:

Helvantis is a fictional Germanic Eastern-European nation in a winter climate, designed to add a little more variety in terrain types and climates currently available for Arma 3. This is the first terrain that I've ever made, so it is far from perfect and there are certainly some rough patches, but it was an excellent learning experience for me. I hope some of you will get some enjoyment from it.

Features:

Roughly 100 km^2

Heightmap resolution of 5m/p

A variety of locations from thick forests and open fields, to heavy condensed urban areas.

Several large towns, including one large sprawling city several kilometers in size, and one city of ruins.

Large variety in elevation from valleys to mountains

Screenshots

arma32014-12-1323-04-55-77.png

arma32014-12-1323-16-56-33.png

arma32014-12-1323-15-44-88.png

arma32014-12-1323-20-33-36.png

arma32014-12-1323-26-37-62.png

Credits & Thanks:

Big thanks to Sumrak for granting me permission to use some of his custom objects.

Pabst Mirror for lots of technical help

Bourbon Warfare for testing and general support

Rquirements

This terrain uses Arma 2 objects, so All in Arma Terrain pack, or A3MP is required.

Changelog

V1.1

â—¾added server key

â—¾fixed waterline bug in one specific location(removed pond object conflicting with another one that was too close)

â—¾fixed miscellaneous little issues

Download

Armaholic Page

Edited by Animander

New mod 1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Animander;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Good thing A3MP is needed, as I don't have AiA, but thanks for it!

I love this island already man. A lot of detail put into it.

Time to get that perfect snow weather and have us a winter fight.

Ummmm....found one problem....buildings aren't exactly bulletproof...

But it still looks very pretty

Edited by Jonathan0434

Thanks for publishing your island on Armaholic :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Was fighting in the ruined part of town south of the main city with some IRA and UVF. The IRA pretty much massacred the advancing UVF as they ran up to IRA HQ. They were between a building and yeah....

Thanks for the kind words everyone! A couple little issues have been brought to my attention, so I'll have an update hopefully in a few days.

Jonathan0434 - Not sure what's going on there, the ruined town is made of building ruins from Arma2 and a few from Arma3. I didn't change anything about them, so they should just have whatever default penetration values that Bohemia gave them.

Hey Animander, thx for your work the map is really good and has a lot of potential , i noticed that the daysound with screaming birds is permanently,no matter what time of day a wintersound with crows and gentle wind would be nice.

Looked your map on air and close to the ground. Looks really nice, especially the defensive line and the city ruins. The destroyed city is a big plus in this map since the terrain is uneven making it seem as if it was heavily bombarded and the destroyed buildings and debris make good cover for the defenders. It's a great job overall, although there are a few things unfinished such as the sidewalks in the cities and the road textures that are supposed to be seen after the road gets un-rendered at a set distance. I'm also not so sure about the large ponds being impact sites, they're way too deep making it seem as if they were sinkholes. Would make it better if they were just regular, natural ponds or more shallow and smaller IMO.

This map is good and has great potential. Keep up the good work. :)

Edited by AntonioAJC

Love the trench system and ruined town, if this is one of your first maps I can't wait to see you make more!!

Pic 4 is a river?

Wilco - there is mice snow and fog script that I f

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

...found. Will post script later.

Re: ruined buildings, some seem to have no collision properties as I remember playing in them before. Just patches which aren't 100% but it's not too bad.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Note to self: don't respond to forum threads using iPhone.

great mod man!!

However the AI is not able to cross the bridge.They actually try swim over,but only after a while of attempting.

If its not within ability to code ai to use the bridge(as i know many maps have this issue) would it be possible to have a map version with a road going across the river,kind of high ground that can split the river?

Maybe im asking too much hahaha

but would need AI to be able to access all areas of the map for real use.

All in all,im very happy,iv wanted a snow map since launch.And here it is,in time for christmas;)

cheers Animander

great mod man!!

However the AI is not able to cross the bridge.They actually try swim over,but only after a while of attempting.

I don't think the AI in ArmA is capable of crossing any kind of bridge since they're objects and not the actual terrain.

how does this map have ponds..

I don't think these are ponds like in ArmA 2 but rather pockets of water that are actually part of the ocean since I think they have the same elevation.

Loving this terrain, literally been bombing around in a Land Rover and enjoying the sights.

Until I found floaty buildings and wondered what was happening there.

It's still brilliant though and looking forward to it being tweaked and the likes to make it wonderful. I assume you are aware that at a certain altitude and when you look to the West, you see a massive terrain line across your view?

Looking forward to further updates and making missions on this.

Attached is location and picture of floating buildings:

http://imgur.com/e6qkRqK

http://imgur.com/tCMj48s

Thanks everyone.

redarmy - I'm not sure about AI crossing the bridge, I'll look into it, but since the bridges are Arma2 models I'm using from AiA, there's nothing I can really do about that. I have no plans at this point to make a land bridge of any kind.

Lordprimate - The Arma2 ponds have always worked(sort of) in Arma3, they just need to be used in a certain way. The pond waterline bug is caused when more than one pond object is visible within render view at a time, so as long as pond objects are used individually and kept far far away from eachother, there's no issue. Sometimes the water will turn black in certain lighting/weather conditions(mostly if it's raining) but most of the time they look great, so I decided to include some.

ParsonsVCB - yeah, that horizontal line you're seeing is caused by two pond objects being a little too close together, so from a certain altitude you can see both and it causes that to happen. I've already fixed it on my end, and an update will be out in a few days. As for the floating buildings, I'm not sure what's going on there. I just checked the map both in game and in terrain builder and they're not floating for me. Are you using AiA or A3MP? Can anyone else go to the location he marked and confirm if they're seeing floating buildings there as well?

AntonioAJC - actually I used both, some ponds are just pockets of water below sea-level, and some are Arma2 pond objects.