Sign in to follow this  
mahlkav

Slow connection to dedicated server

I would like to know what data, if any, is sent to the client during the connection process.

I've had a troubleshooting session towards our dedicated server, and think I found out that the MPMissions folder where stuffed with way to much... things... (not only missions).

After rearranging the folder content I thought it to be gone, but I still recieve complaints about the connection time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Things that are sent are the mission itself (which can be huge if people include custom sounds or music in it), custom faces, custom sayings, and the squad XML file. Addons are not automatically sent.

Well, it's during initial connect, seems as if the server has hard time deciding if it should let you connect or not... so i don't believe it's a huge amount of data, as in during the missiondownload, more like some kind of check that doesn't function correctly...

Nevermind this thread, I need to troubleshoot more. I put back all those millions of files into MPMissions folder, but didn't notice any connection delay...

Probably some other configuration, outside the game, that needs tuning. I'll come back when I get stuck.