laxemann

L_armFatigue - A fatigue system for your arms! (Release thread)

LAxemann proudly presents...

L_armFatigue

It's definitely one of these "people either love or hate it" things! ;)

What's the idea behind it?

I'm one of these terrible realism enthusiasts and so is one of my friends.

He once approached me and pointed me towards the mod I'm now making.

Basically, we got tired of seeing people running around with their weapons raised all the time.

Thinking about it further, we quickly got to a point where the weapon mass was considered, too.

BI already improved the weight and shooting mechanics of weapons by introducing inertia, but one

aspect still is ignored:

The fact that many weapons (i.e. LMGs/MMGs) are heavy and keeping them raised or even just raising

them is a pain in the ass.

The mod will make the weapon "handling" even more punishing and challenging.

The times in which people ran around with MMGs in CQB are over, it is way more

important to lower your weapon regulary and find good spots to support your

gun.

Feature Overview

You have to place the new "L_armFatigue" Module found in the "LAxemann" category to activate the mod!

The mod basically introduces a separate fatigue system for your arms.

Whenever you raise your weapon, the "armFatigue" increases and whenever you lie down or lower your weapon, it decreases.

It decreases when using the weapon resting systems of either CSE or AGM , too.

How fast your arms get fatigued depends on three main factors:

• Most important the mass/weight of your weapon (Keeping a heavy weapon lifted sure isn't fun whilst a pistol can be held up a fair bit longer.)

• Your current combat load (15% or so)

• Your current fatigue (actual ArmA fatigue)

Your "armFatigue" currently does the following:

• When a value of 0.8 is exceeded, your character will not be able to lift his weapon anymore and has to give his arms a break. (Automatic weapon lowering).

• The more fatigued your arms are, the less you will be able to control your recoil.

• Your actual fatigue is affected by your armFatigue aswell. Lighter weapons like pistols have pretty much no effect while lifting MMGs exhausts you a bit over time.

• Your arms begin to tremble a bit the more exhausted they are. (visual indicator)

Please note: Reaching the point where you automatically lower your weapon means that you've already used your reserves.

It is very important to lower your weapon whenever possible.

The shaking/trembling clearly indicates when your character's arms begin to feel tired, so react before your arms turn to mud! :D

What can you show us?

A quick and cheap video created with Movie Maker :D

Download

Download via dropbox (v1.01)

Changelog

1.01 - Fixed the CSE compatibility (bipods now work, too)

1.00 - armFatigue now decreases while being inside a vehicle, tweaked some values

0.77 - The rate that your arms recover now depends on your stance - being prone decreases your fatigue the most.

Sprinting now works when your arms are exhausted (raise/lower loop)

0.76 - The mod doesn't overwrite other mod's recoil coefficients when the weapon is rested

0.75 - initial release

Known issues

• AGM compatibility is not tested but should work

• Multiplayer compatibility is not yet tested.

• Multiplayer features are missing (serverside forcing etc.)

Have fun... or not! ;)

- LAxe

Edited by LAxemann
  • Like 3

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Update

Download

1.01 - Fixed the CSE compatibility (bipods now work, too)

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Updated mod 1.0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey cant wait to make our squad use this lol. Is the debug always there or can u turn it off?

Hey cant wait to make our squad use this lol. Is the debug always there or can u turn it off?

The debugging stuff is off, of course! :)

Your armFatigue is represented by a subtile trembling depending on how exhausted your arms are - no display. :)

Yup, tell me what ya think bout it. I like that idea.

Heya, kind of a big bug report here:

Maybe it's because AGM updated to v0.95 recently, but resting your weapon doesn't work to prevent/reduce arm fatigue at the moment. Also, could it be possible to add some kind of co-effective value to the module? A lot of players are kind of frustrated that we started running this because after 1.5 minutes, no matter your load, your aim will start shaking (any stance, even prone).

This kinda sucks because it makes extended firefights not fun to play. The AI obviously doesn't have to play around these rules, and it's frustrating when you can't lift your arms or aim straight enough while rested or prone to hit a guy right in front of you because your "arms are too tired".

Here's our full issues list right now:

- AGM Resting doesn't prevent arm fatigue at the moment

- Normal rifles start shaking at 1:30 regardless of carrying load (this gives you literally a minute of aiming time)

- There's no way to tweak any values to control how fast fatigue sets in (this is a biggie)

- Your aim still shakes when prone (the gun is rested on the ground, there's no reason for it to shake)

I tested by holding up an equivalent rifle, and my nerdy white self could hold up a shouldered 10 pound rifle longer than the combat-trained soldiers of ARMA.

We'd love to keep running this mod, but some of the above really needs to be fixed.

Hey mate, two things.

Do I have permission to port this to arma 2? Great idea, and a lot of players, especially those aiming for realism, still play arma 2 and we have needs too haha.

I'm not entirely familiar with arma 3's changes to the game actions. Does lowering your weapon automatically take you out of the sights? I noticed there is not a check for this currently in your script. If arma 3 doesn't account for this, here is the code to check for and switch view out of the gunner, ie sights, mode.

if (cameraView == "GUNNER") then {player switchCamera "INTERNAL"};

Hey mate, two things.

Do I have permission to port this to arma 2? Great idea, and a lot of players, especially those aiming for realism, still play arma 2 and we have needs too haha.

I'm not entirely familiar with arma 3's changes to the game actions. Does lowering your weapon automatically take you out of the sights? I noticed there is not a check for this currently in your script. If arma 3 doesn't account for this, here is the code to check for and switch view out of the gunner, ie sights, mode.

Hey dude, you sure have the permission to port it. :)

Also, that "fix" is already included, but I won't continue the development of this until BI fixes the flawed walking/weapon lowering animations. (The character keeps on walking for around two seconds...)

Does it take bipods and weapon resting as a factor?

Definitely trolling the marksmen in my group with this, thanks laxemann!!

LAxemann, any plans in the pipeline to update this puppy? I am personally interested in the MP compatibility and features. any plans to bundle your mods into a modular package?

LAxemann, any plans in the pipeline to update this puppy? I am personally interested in the MP compatibility and features. any plans to bundle your mods into a modular package?

Using the mod doesn't make any sense as long as BI don't fix the animation bug. (You keep on walking when lowering your weapon while walking) :/

//post copied from WIP thread//

Laxemann tell me is this mod still working? and are there any plans to fix it soon?

Why don't you just remove the entire lower weapon command and just keep increasing the shaking? You could even have the notification pop up when it reaches its max, reminding the player to rest their arms to get rid of trembling and sway. That way this mod could still be used and it would also not trigger the animation bug. I just tried the mod and I liked the trembling effect, forcing the player to think about arm fatigue as well. Ofc, the animation bug is annoying, but disabling it for the time being would solve that problem for now and make the mod kind of usable again.

@ryeng
you are emberassing. just dont use the mod.

@laxemann

Thank you for this, it is awesome, all those goofballs walking over open fields with their weapon raised annoy the **** out of me.

Does anyone know if this mod is compatible with the latest version + ACE3? 

PM laxemann, the maker, with your question. He is an active forum user here.

The mod is old and poorly written. While I still like the idea, there is a bug in ArmA that forces you to keep walking after lowering your weapon even though you don't touch any movement keys.

This renders the idea pretty much unusable, because every time the mod makes you lower your weapon when too exhausted, you keep walking.

Sooo until this is fixed somewhen (unlikely), there won't be a new version.

As for ACE-compatibility: I see ne reason why it shouldn't go along.