Drongo's Air Support for Arma 3

New release coming soon

tl;dr AI bombing runs and close air support

pNxQXkU.jpg

Overview

Step into the role of JTAC and take control of AI air assets. Call in airstrikes and Close Air Support with an intuitive dialog. Simple to use, but skill and understanding of aircraft will achieve the best results. Control direction, altitude, egress and more. Designate your targets with lasers, watch the bombs go in and watch guncam footage of your assets in combat.

Drongo's Air Support (DAS) places AI-controlled air assets under player control for CAS or bombing. BIS air assets are supported. Most 3rd party aircraft mods should also be auto-detected by the system.

Required addons:

CBA beta for Arma 3

CREDITS

Drongo: Development and scripting.

Chops: Testing.

Larrow: Script assistance.

Tajin: Script to detect whether an aircraft is capable of bombing or not.

Bomb guidance script: Kylania

• Like 3

AWESOME, looking forward to seeing how this works and future versions!

New mod 0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@Drongo69;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

this is awesome great addon , i would suggest to add the ability to put morethan one target in the next release :)

Had a chance to check it out. Couple of suggestions for future changes if i may;

-Laser targets for bombing runs and CAS?

-Allow aircrafts to land at start of mission airport or RTB waypoints (assuming module implementation will address this?)

-Transport implementation?

Love your stuff man, keep it up.

Could allow to set altitude for the run (remember that bombs have to be released faster the higher plane goes). I second the laser designator idea, maybe smoke or strobe designation could be worked in. Also an option for a gun run, missile run and ATGM strike would be great, just a single attack like the one you can call in using zeus module.

In the end though, great stuff, exactly what I was looking for.

Edited by Taro8

@cholo

What do you mean by more targets?

@JCae2798

Those are all good suggestions and I will implement them if possible.

@Taro8

Altitude control will be looked at. Chops is looking at the code of gun runs and rocket runs at the moment. If anybody can help in this area, we would appreciate it.

Also, if anybody wants hardcoded bombing support for their favourite addons, please let me know the classname of the bomb launcher on the desired aircraft.

Altitude seems easy to do, the aircraft just needs a command: "this fly in height X" where X is the attitude set by the player.

BTW: Would it be possible to have userconfig that would allow for easy integration of addons?

BTW: Would it be possible to have userconfig that would allow for easy integration of addons?

I like this idea. Maybe coming up with a unit init code for mission makers. but to your point you want to make this usable on the fly and zues which this way wouldnt work but a user config would…

Not sure if you would integration planes/helis already available without confirming with community owners, but just some i can think of will probably be used a lot:

-RHS helis and planes

-FA18X Wasp [http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/mrNeujhNe8]

-JS F18 [http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22595]

-T-50 [http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/K1sRFURB25#.VIxlC94rxbw]

I like this idea. Maybe coming up with a unit init code for mission makers. but to your point you want to make this usable on the fly and zues which this way wouldnt work but a user config would…

Not sure if you would integration planes/helis already available without confirming with community owners, but just some i can think of will probably be used a lot:

-RHS helis and planes

-FA18X Wasp [http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/mrNeujhNe8]

-JS F18 [http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22595]

-T-50 [http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/K1sRFURB25#.VIxlC94rxbw]

To add to this list the USAF addon would also be an amazing thing to support. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25512 Since it has the B-1B(used by spec ops teams for pinpoint bombing) and AC-130U gunships. As well as numerous other large aircraft capable of providing transport for combat jumps. (C-5, C-130, C-130Js) And I'm sure others will be added as well. But to this point there is no AI capable of handling these planes as even if you order them with Alive or MCC they fly so ridiculously low that they are super big targets. Alives CAS and transport systems are great but for these larger planes they need a different AI. Especially for bombing even pinpoint precision or carpet bombing.

hi drongo , i meant air striking more than one target at the same time because right now i can assign only one target to all the fighters that operate in the mission :)

Ah, I see. To be clear, the target location is transmitted when you press Execute. So after you press Execute, you can change the target location and the aircraft will strike the position of the marker at the time Execute was pressed. But I understand the desire to input IP and Target markers for each craft and then execute them all in rapid succession. I might look at that in the future.

I was just playing as a scout and I noticed that I would love to be able to request a support fire from the ground units. Being able to lase the target and ask a tank or an APC to kindly blow it up would be great. You could add an ability to set what ammo is used, how many shells. Also you could add an option to request suppressing fire from MG armed vehicles (this one could be time based, rather then based on number of shells). All armed vehicles could be supported.

It could be just a target request, so the vehicle does not get any waypoints, just swings the turret and fires. Of course range an LoS should be taken into consideration, so player can be informed that unit cannot fire at the target.

First post update with v0.2. Changes:

• Added support for laser-guided bombs
  • Added ability to restrict usage to defined users
  • Various minor tweaks

Altitude seems easy to do, the aircraft just needs a command: "this fly in height X" where X is the attitude set by the player.

the aircraft wont hold assigned altitude when attacking, be it dropping bombs/missile attack/gun run

Bombing, conventional and laser guided, seems to be working fine, although bombers tend to ignore ABORT orders if the target area is still laser designated (after initial bombing they retain the red TARGET waypoint they prioritize over the LOITER waypoint) or when there are other enemies nearby (not sure about that one).

Also, the bombers were kinda prone to crashing (twice in 10 tests), though it probably has nothing to do with DAS.

Edited by Hieronymus

_str = "";
_arr = [];
_la 0;
_old = "";
_new = "";
_na = [];
_lo =>
12:59:17   Error position: <0;
_old = "";
_new = "";
_na = [];
_lo =>
12:59:17   Error Missing ;
12:59:17 File DAS\Scripts\Core\Functions\KRON_Strings.sqf, line 182
12:59:17 No owner
12:59:19 No owner

Getting this error when starting a mission. I cant say if that is an issue with the latest patch (last night) as this is the first time I am using this script

First post updated with version 03. Changes:

• Added automatic detection for 3rd party aircraft mods
  • Added ability to select which bomb an aircraft should drop
  • Major overhaul of the dialog
  • Reduced occurrences of the "zig zag" bomb problem
  • Many minor tweaks and bugfixes

New dialog:

DAS.jpg

Most 3rd party aircraft mods should be supported. The method to determine if a weapon is a bomb is based on the config. An ammo class is considered to be a bomb if the following conditions are met:

a) the ammo is carried by an aircraft

b) the ammo has a hit config value of over 1999

c) the ammo has a thrust config value of 0

Works very well! Good job mate. I did have problems getting the helos to RTB for some reason but I am using a shed load of mods, so will investigate further. The helo just circled the base (said it was egressing).