Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Earthquake shakes central england, wales

From http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002-09-22-earthquake_x.htm

(I thought we had exclusive rights to these things here in Los Angeles)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

09/22/2002 - Updated 11wow.gif0 PM ET

Earthquake shakes central England, Wales

LONDON (AP) — An earthquake shook central England and much of Wales early Monday, rattling homes and rousing many from sleep.

Worried Britons deluged police and fire stations with calls after the tremor struck shortly before 8 p.m. ET. The quake measured a magnitude of 4.8, said Glenn Ford of the British Geology Survey.

A spokeswomen for the West Midlands Police in Birmingham said there were no reports of injuries or damage to property.

The British Broadcasting Corp. reported that its building in Birmingham had "shaken extensively" and said callers across south Wales had reported their doors and windows shaking. In north Wales, the BBC reported, a police control room in Wrexham shook noticeably

Duty Officer Bill Rice of the West Midlands Ambulance service said he had felt the tremor in the service's Dudley control room.

"The building shook for about 30 seconds and all the alarms sounded," he said. "We've had a couple of calls to people who are rather upset and frightened but we have dealt with those."

Richard Flynn, of Oldbury in the West Midlands, said his house had shaken violently and that power in his neighborhood went out for about 20 minutes, then returned.

"The shaking and trembling was really quite severe," he said. "Quite a few people came out of their houses wondering what was going on. The streets were in darkness." <span id='postcolor'>

this is a little late, and the first one to hit......... mmmm ever

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Sep. 24 2002,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I thought we had exclusive rights to these things here in Los Angeles)<span id='postcolor'>

nope. only implants tounge.gif

anyway, seems like they all got rattled up. we are used to it here, but not those ppl. guess for them it's something to remember. good to here no reported casualties yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anyway, seems like they all got rattled up. we are used to it here, but not those ppl. guess for them it's something to remember. good to here no reported casualties yet<span id='postcolor'>

Except for a few garden gnomes. Still it could be worse my friend (who, admittedly is of a somewhat nervous disposition) thought it was a nuculear bomb. She still hasn't calmed down.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (vade_101 @ Sep. 24 2002,09:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Except for a few garden gnomes. Still it could be worse my friend (who, admittedly is of a somewhat nervous disposition) thought it was a nuculear bomb. She still hasn't calmed down.<span id='postcolor'>

*snicker*

Felt the damn thing here in North West London. Thought it was another bomb, so I went back to sleep.

Well I live in England, and the only time in my life of 18 years that i remember an Earthquake i think was when i was about 5 years old, and it was jsut a slight, ever so slight tremor. Which makes it all the more annoying that i slept through this Earthquake mad.gif

Apperantly there are about 200 earthquakes a year, but only 10 of em are felt by small areas only. This was the biggest in 10 years felt by a good chunk of the population.

We have earthquakes here too, they happen about once each 2-3 years or something like that.

It looks like they always happen at night here because i'm always sleeping when it happens so i still don't know what it's like.... smile.gif